Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 37 items
- Sex & Nudity (3)
- Violence & Gore (5)
- Profanity (4)
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking (2)
- Frightening & Intense Scenes (9)
- Spoilers (14)
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for violent content and terror, some strong language and a suggestive reference|
Sex & Nudity
- A boss asks one of their employees if they've been "Pornhub-ing in the office again"
- There is no nudity. The closest thing to nudity at all is a toy pet that has a light-up buttocks, only shown very briefly in an iPad video and not really graphic at all.
- A man brags that the M3GAN toy will "kick Hasbro in the dick."
Violence & Gore
- Some violence including uses of improvised weapons like scissors and blunt weapons. Some blood in the aftermath of an attack.
- A girl gets bitten by her neighbors dog, bite marks with blood are seen.
- A car crash occurs (offscreen). Two people are implied to be killed by this, and a young girl (who survives) has wounds on her face and is shown injured after the crash.
- A man trying to disconnect M3GAN is caught by the robot and hanged from a string, seen choking with his eyes rolled up in the back of his head. He survives, but then an explosion occurs from a nearby gas tank.
- The unrated version has stronger onscreen violence, blood and gore.
- Contains many blasphemous expressions (Jesus Christ)
- A man brags that the M3GAN toy will "kick Hasbro in the dick".
- A minor child uses the phrase "sucks shit" in reference to an AI toy.
- One use of fuck, and less than 10 uses of shit; generally mild
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- At Gemma's house, an alcohol cabinet is visible.
- Glasses of wine are briefly seen.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The film deals with heavy topics including grief, digital technology encroaching on the intimacy of human life, bullying, corporate greed, death, neighbourhood feuds and explosions.
- There are some brief shots of bloody bodies and dying people which may frighten and disturb some viewers. This includes a boy with behavioral problems rolling down a hill and being struck by a car, two dead men in an elevator covered in blood, and other instances.
- There are some emotionally uncomfortable (but not shocking or scary) scenes, such as a woman fiddling on her smartphone instead of paying any attention to her niece, a neighbour loudly pounding on windows and shouting, and a man verbally bullying his employees.
- The death of a pet is mentioned once in a toy commercial, and later on numerous times after a woman's dog goes missing.
- One of the themes in the film is the oversaturation of digital technology in human life. Viewers see numerous smartphones, an AI home assistant, AI toys and other things that can be quite uncomfortable and intense. At one point a child whose parents are killed is ignored by her aunt, who is constantly playing with a smartphone. An AI home assistant turns on and frightens the child.
- A subplot involves a nasty woman who owns a vicious dog. The fight between neighbours, coupled with a child being bitten (drawing blood) and M3GAN having her neck bitten and dragged through the fence can be quite disturbing, especially when the police refuse to do anything about the dog and the bitten child develops a fever from the bite.
- The film is intended to be horror and, while campy, may be intense for younger viewers. Some of the themes are quite dark and heavy.
- A child breaks down sobbing over the loss of her parents and M3GAN comforts her. The scene is quite visceral and intense, although it is one of the film's more placid moments.
- A woman refuses to let her traumatized niece play with a toy (it's a "collector's item") until a social worker comes to visit. The scene is somewhat tense and uncomfortable.
Violence & Gore
- A boys ear is torn (we see the skin stretching and ripping) while M3GAN makes threatening remarks and eggs him on to flee, before he begins to run away. He falls into the road to which he is hit by a car and killed (mostly offscreen). A body bag is later shown being zipped up.
- M3GAN takes a paper cutter and stabs a man in the back with it. She then uses it to slice a man's throat, which is offscreen. We later see the two bodies in an elevator with blood everywhere. This is one of the most graphic scenes.
- In the final act, many harmful things happen to M3GAN including dismemberment, slashing, and more. While M3GAN is just a robot, it still may disturb some.
- Megan graphically rips a young boy's ear. It's partly shown onscreen, then cuts to a less clear quick shot from a distance. Blood pours down his shoulder, and blood is still visible before he is hit by a car.
- A dog is seen being dragged off. M3GAN later mentions that the dog was killed and buried somewhere (the actual killing of / body of the dog is never depicted on-screen).
- Bruce and M3GAN fight. Bruce is beaten badly but not completely destroyed, while the body of M3GAN is torn apart, exposing wires, cutting her face and hair, and having a chip in her head destroyed by a girl jabbing it with a screwdriver.
- M3GAN takes a pen and threatens, in graphic detail, to stab the pen into a woman's cerebral cortex, rendering her disabled forever so that she will become dependent on M3GAN for everything while M3GAN raises her niece.
- In the unrated version, there are several differences. When M3GAN tears off Brandon's ear, you actually get a close-up at the ear being ripped off with lots of blood. The elevator scene has blood splatter and Kurt's throat is slit, and when M3GAN sprays chemicals on Celia's face, you see flesh being dissolved.
- Megan calls Cady an "ungrateful little bitch" in the last fight scene.
- 9 more F-words in the unrated version. Once hard strong f word by Jenna Davis as m3gan which is shocking as Jenna Davis doesn't swear as she has evidently said so.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Cady's parent's death is a main theme of the story which could be upsetting.
- Bruce (the motion capture robot) is punched by M3GAN and has his glass head cracked in, which is later shown with blood on it. The woman who designed it has Bruce thrown on top of her by M3GAN, pinning her down,
- Two employees (friends of the main character) are seen attacked by M3GAN. One is nearly hanged to death but is saved by his colleague. The two are then caught in an explosion and huddle together to protect themselves. The end scene reveals that both employees have survived.
- Multiple times throughout the film, M3gan becomes increasingly creepy, such as staring at people/objects, mimicking voices to cause harm, and moving in an unsettling way. This escalates in the second half of the film when people start to "harm" Cady, such as chasing a bully through the woods on her hands and feet, or dancing in a hallway before killing a person.