Apollo 11 (2019) Poster

(2019)

See It On The Biggest Screen You Can
timdalton00724 March 2019
A half-century ago, Neil Armstrong stepped off the ladder of the Lunar Module Eagle and into the history books. In the decades since, that moment and the flights of NASA's Apollo program have been chronicled in seemingly countless documentaries. At the top of that list remains 1989's For All Mankind from the late Al Reinert and 2007's In The Shadow Of The Moon from British filmmakers David Sington and Christopher Riley. Up there with them now is 2019's Apollo 11, an exciting new film from Todd Douglas Miller that is begging for you to see it on the biggest screen possible.

Why?

In part because of Miller who, like those other great filmmakers of Apollo before him, wasn't content to merely do a rehash of what had come before. Miller's Apollo 11 is in part a deep dive into the NASA archives, uncovering things that even the most seasoned space enthusiast has likely never seen before. There's a wealth of pre-launch footage, for example, tracing the preparations from the rollout of the massive Saturn V rocket to the launch pad to multiple perspectives of the launch itself. Even when events move into space, there's still a wealth of rare material to experience including conversations between the astronauts themselves as well as between them and Mission Control in Houston. Even where footage that has become synonymous with the mission and the era such as the stage separations of the rocket or the Lunar Module's descent to the surface of the Moon, it's presented with clarity and scale rarely seen elsewhere. For that alone, the film renders excellent service.

It does so in other ways, as well. Unlike those two documentaries I mentioned at the top of this review, Miller doesn't use astronaut interviews (either aural or visual) to help tell the story. Instead, Apollo 11 unfolds entirely through archival sources ranging from the transmissions to the voice of NASA's public affairs or well-known TV commentators like Walter Cronkite. To help aid visually for parts of the mission where there isn't much or anything to show, the film employees simple animation alongside such commentaries. The film also makes effective use of split-screen and captions to portray mission control or to show events such as the actual walk on the Moon from multiple perspectives. As much as the footage itself on a cinema screen does, it presents the sheer scale of the endeavor but without losing the viewer in the technicalities involved in spaceflight.

In some ways, that's the greatest triumph of Apollo 11 the documentary. It's a film keen to present Apollo 11 the mission in awe-inspiring yet understandable terms, one that emphasizes how incredible in scope and achievement that flight five decades ago this July was. It's also a reminder, at a time when cinema screens find themselves increasingly dominated by would-be blockbusters and superhero flicks, of the raw power of cinema to present stories. Both of those are things we need reminding of, it seems, and the film does a superb job of both.
78 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best footage yet.
pismo101 March 2019
Saw the Apollo 11 IMAX film last night. Highly recommend. No narration just the NASA announcer, communications between ship and ground plus a few other bits added such as Walter and JFK now and then. Images are amazing, esp in IMAX. It moves well, no slow moments, no soap opera, no agenda, lots of unseen footage and some new stories, pure documentary, the trip is the whole story. PDI is great, TLI is great, LM separation, footage of the crowd is great. Go see, you wont be disappointed. 90 minutes long.
137 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Amazing film
alanhstanley1 March 2019
Should be mandatory watching for all the folks that have lost the feeling of global humanity. I remember it from 50 years ago and I feel proud of the world as it looked then and the can do attitudes. The grace and humility of Neil Armstrong and crew was amazing. I was excited at each event and the music was marvelous. You know they make it but the tension was intense. so much could have gone wrong. What was error 202 !!!
117 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely incredible!
mikejfm1 March 2019
I rarely rate any movie a 10 but this one is definitely. The footage is so clear that I had to keep checking myself because I thought they might have filmed certain parts to complete the story. Everything is authentic. It is because of this mission and all other Apollo, Mercury, and Gemini missions that I went into the space business for a 34 year career. The launch sequence is the most incredible thing I've seen on film. I will definitely be buying the blu ray but of course it will not beat the IMAX. Very well done!
66 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The closest thing to a real-life time machine.
SigmaEcho7 March 2019
The restored 70mm footage looks like it was shot yesterday. It will make your jaw drop on the massive screen. There's something simply astounding about old restored 35mm, 65mm and 70mm footage viewed in full resolution today - it's like stepping into a time-machine and being transported, like you are really there. Any 70mm footage projected on an IMAX screen is simply magical, but this is not just real footage, but footage capturing possibly the most important moment in human history - certainly the most inspiring. You won't be able to experience the same thing at home, so I wish everyone would go out to their local IMAX and experience this first-hand. This is the kind of thing schools should require their students to experience.

The only reason I don't give it a perfect 10/10 is that because the film is made in a cinéma-vérité style, the audience simply experiences the event without really learning very much about the incredible engineering, science, training and logistics of the incredible Apollo program. So I hope this film inspires people to also seek out The Right Stuff (1983), Apollo 13 (1995), the massively underrated miniseries From the Earth to the Moon (1998) and the invaluable documentary In the Shadow of the Moon (2007) - possibly the definitive documentary about the Apollo program - which you should watch as a companion piece to this film.
75 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest adventure of humankind?
ryplead21 February 2019
I had the chance to see an advance screening of the movie in Vienna, during a meeting of the UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space and the word that best sums it all up is "WOW". It is wonderful to be able to witness all the work that went into a momentous achievement. There is the great moment we all know, the "one step for a man, a giant leap for mankind" moment. But this movie pays a much-deserved tribute to all those men and women who joined efforts to make this possible. Fantastic.
64 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Experience the Apollo 11 mission like you have never before
paul-allaer11 March 2019
"Apollo 11" (2019 release; 93 min.) is a documentary about the Apollo 11 mission. As the movie opens, we are informed it is "July 16, 1969" and a mere 3 hours away from the launch. We get full-color footage of the enormous crowds 15 mi. away from the launching pad. Meanwhile, through a quick photo montage, we get a quick glimpse at the three astronauts' life, as they are getting their space suits on. The TV commentator meanwhile talks about "the burdens and hope they carry for all mankind". It is then time for the astronauts to be driven to the Apollo. At this point we are then 10 min. into the movie.

Couple of comments: this documentary is directed and edited by Todd Douglas Miller. There have been many documentaries about the Apollo 11 mission before, so what sets this one apart? Several things: first and foremost, during the collaboration between the film makers and NASA, never before seen 70 mm full color footage was unearthed. That, combined with previously available 16 mm and 32 mm footage allowed the film makers to present this story in a way never before experienced. Frankly, words are not enough. The astronauts' elevator ride up to the top of the Apollo space ship (over 300 ft. tall) finally give a sense of how freaking high that is. Second, the film makers decided to use no voice-over or narrator, and instead let the TV commentary and the internal NASA discussions do all of the talking. Third, there is a fabulous electronic score, courtesy of composer Matt Morton. And get this: Morton used only instruments that were around at the time of Apollo 11's trip to the moon in July, 1969, including including the Moog modular Synthesizer IIIc, the Binson Echorec 2, and the Mellotron. Wow, just wow. When you combine all of these elements, it makes for outright compelling viewing. Even though we of course know the outcome, I nevertheless STILL felt tense as I was watching all of this unfold.

You may or may not be aware that Neil Armstrong spent the last 40 years of his life here in Cincinnati (where I live), including teaching at the University of Cincinnati. Upon his retirement, he became an even more private person than he already was, and public appearances were rare. I had the great fortune of seeing him narrate the "Lincoln Portrait" at a Cincinnati Pops performance in 2009, and the outpouring of love, respect and affection from the public for this true American hero made the hairs stand on my arms. Meanwhile, "Apollo 11" is an unforgettable movie experience, and highly recommended!
49 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Cinéma Vérité
BramOh24 March 2019
The film starts the morning of launch day July 16, 1969. There are no actors, no reenactments, no narrator. It is 100% restored archival footage and recorded audio, most of which I had never seen before. Opening footage of the crowds gathering around Kennedy Space Center gave you the sense it was apparent to everyone the magnitude of what was about to happen.

They had audio and video of (an issue I won't spoil, something during launch prep I had never heard of before). Obviously there is no external footage of the spacecraft from the time it leaves earth orbit until it arrived at the moon but the editing and coverage used are excellent and you never feel like you're in the dark or missing out.

There is no attempt made at politicizing the event or manipulating the viewer, it is raw, factual cinéma vérité. Although I did find Kennedy's speech moving, they made the excellent choice to NOT show the famous portion we've all heard about landing a man on the moon and returning him safely by the end of the decade. It was the rest of that speech, which I'm not sure I'd ever heard, that was astute, prophetic and even funny at one point.

My one very minor caution is that viewers who aren't already aware how critical/dangerous some maneuvers were could miss out on the gravity of the situation. The filmmakers do assist with this with the score, which is absolutely fantastic (and according to the credits, composed entirely with instruments available in July '69), and some minor on-screen graphics (e.g. FUEL 30 seconds, 1202 alarm). It's a trivial concern but viewers who are familiar with the space program in general, and this mission in particular, will get the most out of the experience.

The film wraps up after our astronauts are safely home and cleared from quarantine. During the credits there are a few more interesting shots of some of the celebrations.
28 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I could not ask for a better movie than Apollo 11
marc-atkinson196112 March 2019
Whenever a NASA / space movie comes around, I usually give it the side-eye. We all know the story (but we really don't) about the complexities , risks, and triumphs. We all know who Tom Hanks is Apollo 13, Ed Harris is in the Right Stuff, and who Ryan Gosling tried to be (and failed miserably) is in First Man.

But this movie is fantastic, because there are no actors, no narration, and most refreshing of all: no political commentary jammed down our throats.

The movie opens with this menacing crunching and squeaking sound----like tank tracks. So, we all know what that is.....the Crawler: The ultimate slow, low-tech machine transporting the very front edge of engineering marvel.

The liftoff sequence had me riveted, as though not only was this the first time I was seeing it, but that I was there.

The cast is NASA, the stars are the engineers, and I have to thank Statement films, Douglas Todd Miller, and even CNN (ugh).

This is the best movie I've seen in years. Don't miss it. It has to be seen in the theater.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A personal and memorable trip back to 1969
jimschultze14 March 2019
This film took me back to a time I'll never forget. I can vividly remember almost everything I did during those days in July, 1969.

I loved the fact that the narration was handled by using the recordings of the Public Affairs Officers during the mission. I think that's critical to the immersion factor of this film/documentary. Much of the footage at the launch pad was simply amazing and has never been seen before. The only visual NOT from 1969 is the occasional graphic illustrating an upcoming flight maneuver.

I was privileged to witness the Apollo 15 launch in 1971 and I will simply never forget the shock waves pulsating off my chest and column of liquid sunshine from those mighty F-1 engines as the Saturn V muscled its way into the Florida sky.

The inclusion of President Kennedy's moon challenge at the end was the absolutely perfect way to wrap up the story of "Apollo 11" and the satisfaction of a goal accomplished and a door opened to the future. This is what America is capable of achieving when we have the focus and the will to persevere and follow through. The question I'm left with is: "Do we still have the will to dream big and the courage to finish the course?"
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It doesn't get better than this doc.
jdesando9 March 2019
"I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small." Neil Armstrong looking on earth from the moon.

If somehow you missed Apollo 11's flight to the moon in 1969 (indeed you might not have been born yet), fear not: The perfect documentary about those three real superheroes is here. The titular doc stars Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins in nail biting suspense and no explosions save rocket propulsion.

The only part not of the original footage is the original synth drones' soundtrack by an inspired Matt Morton. The percussive beat has pomp like that of a thriller in which the president has a fleet of black SUV's rolling to its heart-beating energy, supporting a blockbuster that this time is for real.

Notwithstanding the deeply introspective First Man, starring Ryan Gosling as Armstrong, the real Armstrong comes through in this doc. As expected, he's like the straight arrow he is alleged to be-good guy, slightly nerdy, smart, evident even with as little face time as he has here.

Maybe that's the point: Without the sophisticated computers we have 50 years later, these astronauts and technicians work hard long hours together, no claims to glory, profit, or party loyalty. Their collaboration is worthy of any Marvel voyage; only it's real.

New images and sounds emerge despite the decades of depicting this event in multi-media. Some NASA shots have never been seen before. Although the images may not be as spectacular as the ones we've grown accustomed to, they represent the constantly renewable glory of mankind at its technological best, devoid of petty ego embellishments and full of human connections.

You'll find more dramatic renditions of this adventure, but you'll never find 93 minutes more perfectly capturing the grandeur of science and humanity working together to realize the impossible. This right stuff is right here in a grand documentary called, very simply, Apollo 11.
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully restored footage details America's finest moment without bombast
samdlugach2 March 2019
Todd Douglas Miller's documentary Apollo 11 is a rich buffet of restored footage, clever image juxtaposition, and ingenious lip reading. There is SO MUCH newly-released footage, one gets the impression that 1/4 of the mission weight must've been cameras and film! Where have these images been for fifty years? There's no narration... just sounds and voices from the mission, peppered with occasional contemporaneous commentary from Walter Cronkite's legendary broadcasts. The film is a beautiful, visceral thrill ride, lovingly constructed, without aggrandizement... yet emotions soar. This is what America once was, and what it could be again, and I absolutely do not mean that in any jingoistic sense. Truly our finest moment. See it in IMAX if you can - IT IS WORTH IT.
46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Breathtaking!
yakster126 March 2019
After recently re-watching Apollo 13 and marveling at how accurate the special effects looked, to see the real deal is breathtaking. No models, blue screen or CGI required. I (and half the world) watched it as a kid but looking back I did not realize the enormity of it all. The Saturn V rocket itself was longer then a football field straight up in the air. Over one million people watching the launch live on the ground. Over half the world's population watched the landing on TV. With no narration and just the words of the astronauts and the people at Mission Control to guide us, I was on the edge of my seat watching velocity numbers increase and decrease accompanied by a pulsating music score. Another aspect that comes across in spades is these guys really did have "the right stuff". Calm and cool under extreme pressure. Check out Buzz Aldrin's heart rate on blast off. An amazing film that just shows what the human race can achieve when we apply ourselves.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Apollo 11
burlesonjesse59 March 2019
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Indeed.

In July of 1969, the spaceflight involving the first two people to land on the moon, is gloriously and masterfully depicted in Apollo 11 (my latest review). "Apollo" is shot in 70 mm, cut from thousands of hours of reel, baited in effective title cards, and contains cinematography from the actual astronauts involved (Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Michael Collins). Barely grainy, split-screened, and nevertheless revolutionary, you as the viewer feel like you're stuck in an outputted time warp.

Yup, it's official. "Apollo" is so far the best film of 2019 and the most heady since Kubrick's 2001. I left the theater elated and enthusiastic at what I just saw. Heck, Apollo 11 is the real "First Man", not the mediocre science fiction flick where Ryan Gosling plays a turgidly aloof Neil A. Armstrong.

Clocking in at a perfect 93 minutes, distributed by up-and-comer Neon, and containing archived restoration of the highest order, "Apollo" is a documentary without interviews, commentaries, narration, or whatever. Hey, its predictable true account just works and everyone from age 10 to 100 should check it out.

Director Todd Douglas Miller (a docu genius in the making) pulls you into "Apollo's" "in the moment" vision. He lets the actual people involved (no actors here) do the talking and his footage is so pristine and polished, your jaw will literary drop. After 50 years, I can't believe nobody thought about releasing this kind of maverick foresight earlier. Eat your heart out Paul Greengrass cause Apollo 11 is totally mind-blowing (and mind-boggling if you think about it).

"Apollo's" music by Ohio native Matt Morton, is an added bonus (it's fitting since most spacemen hail from the Buckeye State). It's stirring and Herculean and pounces in at all the right moments. Bottom line: Apollo 11 is the future of factual programs for years to come. Now all I gotta do is see Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old and my cinematic world will be complete. My highest rating: 4 stars.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! You really feel like you were there! Amazing!
prberg22 March 2019
This movie just took my breath away. We have all seen the Apollo 11 mission... But this movie just does it in a way where you feel like you were there. No sit down interviews.. just actual footage from the day and the mission. The footage looked so amazing.

The launch sequence just blew me away! So amazing in IMAX! I feel like we get a real view at the emotions of the people from the actual day. So amazing how the whole team succeeded with the entire Apollo program!

This movie is really powerful and a wonderful new take on the moon landing. Highly recommended!
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Accurate Information
andypalmerap-2732926 February 2019
This is the story of apollo 11's moonshot program in documentary style as filmed at the time. the saturn V rocket that took apollo 11 to the moon was designed by german rocket engineers from the second world war (see nasa official website). I remember watching the apollo program on tv and stayed up very late when they landed on the moon. cant wait for a blue-ray release when i can watch at home as well.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nearly Perfect Documentary
Tom_SF17 March 2019
Very well done, along the lines of "They Shall Not Grow Old" in that the producers allowed the timeline of Apollo 11 be told through the action of the original archival footage, using original voices from the ground crew and all others involved to narrate the story of the greatest achievement of mankind. The one and only thing I would add would be subtitles of people on the ground talking to the astronauts as some of it was not very intelligible. Perhaps this will be solved with closed-captioning on the DVD when it's available. With the 50th anniversary of man on the moon arriving on July 20, 2019, this film should be a lock for Best Documentary during the next Oscar awards. The only other drawback was the limited release. I suspect there are contractural reasons for that but it should be a wide release considering the great piece of history as the subject matter.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than a Documentary
herbowen3 March 2019
I carefully followed the Space Program from Alan Shepherd's first flight when I was in eighth grade through Apollo 11 my first year in grad school and on. This movie relieved that first moon walk flight, and I saw and learned a lot I hadn't seen or heard before. It is masterfully don. It was a great experience.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Triumphant Return To Those Nine Days In July 1969
virek21312 March 2019
For all the foibles and wars and acts of wanton cruelty against our fellow human beings, our abilities to bring out the best in the human spirit must never be forgotten. This was on display during the month of July 1969, when the world was in an eight-day grip of Mankind's greatest and most frightening endeavor: to set foot on another celestial body, namely the Moon. The tremendous saga of Apollo 11, which culminated with the first steps on the Moon on the evening of July 20th, was the culmination of what President John F. Kennedy had started back in May 1961, of sending a man to the Moon and then bringing him back safely home to Earth. And while that endeavor was fraught with extreme dangers the likes of which human beings had never had to face before (as borne out by the tragic Apollo 1 fire on the launch pad in January 1967), ultimately it paid off when Neil Armstrong's famous words "That's one small step for Man, one giant leap for Mankind" came from the barren gray surface of the Moon. And in 2019, the 50th anniversary year of that achievement, director Todd Douglas Miller and CNN Films gave us what most likely will end up being the definitive film of those eight days, a documentary simply titled APOLLO 11.

Done without any narration or interviews, APOLLO 11 goes about studying the subject matter in the most straightforward way possible. Miller and his team restored footage from the NASA archives from that heady period in which the world, even (with a certain amount of grudging admiration) our Cold War foe Russia, witnessed an event that forever changed the way we look at ourselves, our own planet Earth, and the universe at large. The film actually shows some things that many might not have been aware of until this film: how a leaky hydrogen valve on the launch pad caused a momentary concern in the early morning hours of July 16th, the day of the launch, plus what seemed to be an all-too-rapid descent of the lunar module "Eagle" onto the lunar surface inside the Sea of Tranquility. The drama of the entire saga, which puts a lot of Hollywood sound-and-fury blockbusters to shame, is enhanced by the use of wisely placed narrative titles, countdown clocks, and additional little CGI simulations of what the audience is witnessing, including the command/service module (CSM) separation, the maneuvers for lunar landing, the insertion of Apollo 11 into is return trajectory to Earth, and the process of splashdown, which is the most hair-raising part of any manned space flight besides the launch itself.

It is probably far too easy to dismiss this film's use of old footage, given how spoiled we have become with CGI spectacle since the 1990s. But the reality of the situation, plus the fact that the treasure trove of footage that Miller and his team worked on to restore and assemble it into a 93-minute whole, really demand it, whether it is seen in the traditional 35-millimeter big screen format or in IMAX. In recent times, we have had films like GRAVITY, INTERSTELLAR, and FIRST MAN (the 2018 dramatization of Neil Armstrong's path towards the Sea of Tranquility) re-affirm what the beauty and inherent dangers of what human beings in the void of space are about. The 1995 blockbuster APOLLO 13, the dramatization of the 1970 lunar flight that almost had a truly tragic outcome, was equally effective, as was 1983's THE RIGHT STUFF. And in 1968, the year before Apollo 11, we had director Stanley Kubrick's awe-inspiring 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. As there should be little, if any, questioning of the validity of these movies to have inspired us through the combination of the human spirit and special effects technology, it is even more important to consider APOLLO 11 as a truly magnificent piece of historic reality told in truly unvarnished fashion, but not embellished in a way that turns the whole thing into a hokey example of bombastic, chest-thumping American brand pf patriotism that diminishes the achievement and turns people off

What is just as remarkable is that, in contrast to what certainly could have been a dramatic use of John Williams motifs or a slather of synthesizers, Matt Morton's avant-garde electronic score for the most part utilizes Moog synthesizers of the period of the late 1960s, so as not to draw too much attention to itself, and thus draw it away from the subject matter. But what it does do is accentuate the inherent drama and even the terror of being in the pitch-black void. All of this, spiced with the period commentary of Cronkite and fellow space buff (and ABC News correspondent) Jules Bergman, helps to make APOLLO 11 a film that will at the very least to re-appreciate this tremendous enterprise that we undertook back then, and might even move the viewer to tears. It is a rare film, documentary or otherwise, that can do it honestly, but APOLLO 11 does this, and then some.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over The Moon Over This (sorry)
jsind2 April 2019
"Awe-inspiring" is an overused phrase, but I am using it here: "Apollo 11" is awe-inspiring, the best movie I have seen in years.

I had no idea that so much film of the Moon mission existed. The filmmakers tell the story from pre-launch to heroic return with minimal narration and judicious subtitles, essentially letting the film tell the story. The background music masterfully enhances the visuals.

This movie chronicles an astonishing achievement showing what human beings, and Americans in particular, are capable of.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cinematic Marvel
metaflixinc13 March 2019
It's nearly impossible to fully appreciate the size and power of the Saturn V rocket. It stands at a towering 363 feet tall-longer than a football field-weighs six and a half million pounds, and totals nearly ten million pounds of thrust.

Sitting atop that behemoth, as is so vividly and viscerally depicted in 'Apollo 11,' are three astronauts, each with an unmatched combination of expertise and indomitability that has afforded them the opportunity to be blasted 238,900 miles into space to become the first humans to set foot on the moon.

It's been a while since we've been in a theater where the audience applauded multiple times throughout the screening. 'Apollo 11' deserves it. The film celebrates the very best of the American spirit and serves as a visceral reminder of what humanity can achieve when we direct our time, effort, and resources towards the noble pursuits of science, technology, and engineering.

From a filmmaking perspective, 'Apollo 11' hits all the right notes. The graphics are poignant in their minimalism, demonstrating the various maneuvers the crew needs to fulfill in order to achieve their mission. The sound design follows suit, allowing the film to breathe at certain times, while ramping up the tone and tension whenever appropriate.

'Apollo 11' must be seen during the limited time it will remain in theaters. And while even a large screen and booming sound system can't quite fully capture the extraordinary magnitude of what space exploration entails, this documentary is certainly the closest many of us will ever come to experiencing it.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've seen this story before...watching the trailer makes me want to see that 70mm footage!!!
justin-fencsak27 February 2019
After FIrst Man won the oscar for Best VFX upsetting Avengers 3 on Sunday night, interest in the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 is at an all time high. This weekend marks a wide IMAX release of Apollo 11, a documentary composed of unseen 70mm footage of the moon landing and the work it took to make the event happen for billions of people watching on TV. I plan on seeing this movie soon as the release is only for one week only until Captain Marvel brings moviegoers back to theatres.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
America's last great moment.
jc-25624 March 2019
What has happened to us? Can we ever achieve this unity and pride again? Especially if you weren't alive in 1969, go see this and see what this nation once was and hopefully can achieve again.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant documentary
kenstallings-653462 July 2019
A flawless documentary that proves again that the reality of a historically significant event does not need to be altered with melodrama to increase its appeal. The real story is more than merely good enough.

We knew that high quality color footage of the Apollo 11 mission was taken, but most of it had never been shown to the public. This documentary provides many scenes never before shown publicly. They are breathtaking in their vantage points, clarity, and impact.

The scientific basis of the mission is presented in an understated manner, that combines with well selected music, to drive home the incredible engineering achievements. The earth orbit trans lunar escape velocity is shown winding up to an eye popping number that drives home the record breaking nature of the technology. Other significant portions of the mission are shown in the same effective manner.

Perhaps the finest individual scene is the one showing in real time the lunar module rising from the moon to rendezvous with the command module to return to earth. One gets to see a barely visible dot quickly rise up to fill the screen. As with the original launch, showing the action in real time drives home just how fast these craft were designed to operate.

This is beautiful work that must be seen, proving again that brilliant documentaries are most often those with the courage to tell the plain truth.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Amazing
popman83-817-72983318 May 2019
Over many years i've watched & purchased so many documentaries/movies regarding not only Apollo 11 but pretty much everything that's out there today about our space program starting with Project Mercury all the way through what NASA is doing in 2019.

Like I said in the subject, "Truly Amazing". This documentary was VERY well done and thought out before it was produced/released.

Congratulations to the director and production team because you really did an AMAZING job on this documentary.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.