Rewind (2019) Poster

(III) (2019)

An important & unflinching documentary
eddie_baggins3 August 2020
Unflinching and uncompromising, Rewind is a documentary that isn't afraid to dive deep into the issues of abuse and trauma that it explores across its relatively brief 80 minute runtime as documentarian and main subject Sasha Neulinger delves into his own childhood and his families horrific experiences that spanned generations.

Given access to 100's of hours of home video footage that was shot by his various family members over the course of his childhood and teenage years, Rewind is a unique experience for both Neulinger and us as audience members as we witness first hand the effects of his traumatic childhood events take hold on him, despite these occurrences now years in the past.

Now an advocate and supporter of networks established to support those that have unfortunately become victims of abuse, Neulinger should be commended for opening up the wounds of his past to help heal the present and offer hope for those that to have had their childhoods sullied by the evil acts of others.

We bare witness to Sasha as a care free and happy natured boy that slowly but surely morphs into a repressed and angry being in past footage, while in more present day scenes Sasha interviews those that were prevalent in his life such as his mother, father, therapist and detectives that eventually worked on his case that made headlines across the globe.

Rarely have issues such as the ones raised in Rewind been so openly put forward on film and explored in such a no fuss manner, there's no hidden agendas here or ulterior motives that make themselves apparent, this is simply a warts and all expose of the long-lasting effects and first hand experiences that abuse has on its victims.

It's stirring stuff, heart-wrenching more often than not but its material and subject matter we as humans need to readily explore and understand as to this day actions that we see in Rewind remain far to common in today's society.

Final Say -

Tough viewing but the type of viewing that enhances ones understanding of issues that would be much easier to ignore than confront, Rewind is a gripping documentary and a hugely important one, with credit to Sasha Neulinger who was brave enough to embrace his own past for the betterment of the future.

4 roast turkey's out of 5
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abuse continues like falling dominoes
valleyjohn11 February 2021
This is the story of Sasha Neulinger , a young man who reconstructs the unthinkable story of his boyhood and exposes vile abuse passed through generations like falling dominoes.

Sasha is a very brave man . A man who is suffered appalling abuse from three members of his close family . He was an even more brave child . A highly intelligent. How he survived what happened to him as a young child is remarkable in itself.

This documentary follows videos his father took during his childhood and shows the affect the abuse he suffered . The people who carried out these acts are exposed and that for me is the best thing that comes out of this film . They have nowhere to hide . Personally I would have cut their balls off without anaesthetic.

Although the links aren't discussed in the film , in my opinion , where child abuse is prevalent, there is normally some link with organised religion and it's no surprise to see the main perpetrator of the abuse was high up in a religious group .

This is an eyes opening film that I recommend everyone should see .
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing but very important
doomedmac17 October 2020
This documentary is extremely personal and very difficult to watch. It is important.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Difficult, personal, troubling and illuminating
Jeremy_Urquhart2 January 2021
A good documentary about some very traumatic childhood events, and the trauma and injustice that came about because of those events.

Bumped it from 3.5/5 to 4/5 when I found out the director was the subject of the film- it makes it more personal (and indeed courageous) that he told this story in an autobiographical fashion.

It is of course a hard watch, and on paper, there are other, similar crime-related documentaries out there, but the personal, autobiographical nature does elevate it. Oh, and the stuff involving Sasha and his great grandfather was some of the most heartwarming stuff I've seen in a movie in a while.

I also thought it utilised old home footage in a far more purposeful and impactful manner than last year's Time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harrowing incest
killercharm1 August 2021
The sad and shocking story of a dynasty of child molesters! This most interesting documentary is a tale told by the victim. Also in the movie is his co-victim, his sister. Sound incestuous? It should! To watch these two, starting YOUNG, go from outgoing sweetness to inward looking and quiet (her) and out of control and aggressive (him). They were repeatedly molested, and by their relative! Right upstairs! And mom hugged the molester when he came downstairs! What a world for little ones to navigate.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Beyond Words
helenahandbasket-9373423 August 2020
I'm so incredibly sorry to Sasha and his sister for the horrific abuse they endured, and no child should ever have to suffer in silence.

You've brought into the light that which has been buried in darkness, and have shone a brilliant light on to the path that can lead to healing and hopefully prevention of this occurring.

Please continue this important and worthwhile work you've done and continue lighting that path for others to find the courage to overcome these abhorrent crimes.

This was such a well-done and intimate story told in the most compelling manner; from start to end I found myself wholly immersed in the tale and filling with anger and rage at these monsters who betrayed this family. The storyline was concise, direct and makes you feel connected.

While it can be a very difficult story to tell and some tend to carry on with melodramatic and labored points- this absolutely gets to the heart and the soul and you're immediately awash in empathy, apathy and rage for these children and hope when you're left with the closure of the final scenes.

Again, a brilliant film and one that should be mandatory viewing for anyone who doubts this could ever happen to them/their children- because it's much easier than anyone wants to believe and within the blink of an eye, your family is thrust into a tumultuous and chaotic place from which few ever emerge unscathed.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect description of the perverse nature of the world
koofasa25 April 2021
The man who abused the child most violently got no prison time because he is an elite member of the community while the others got hard time. This is how the world works. If you're wealthy and protected, you are free to destroy the lives of whoever you want to abuse. Society is terminally sick because they protect the worst among us.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So incredibly brave...
mattoid-4560528 August 2020
Just to echo others, amazing and brave to actually put this out there as a cautionary piece. Sasha is one brave dude. Must see for yourself.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The chain of abused to abusers is crazy
KiddNicole5239028 March 2021
It's good, very sad. I couldn't even imagine being the dad and having the realization of him recording the whole thing and not knowing.

The dad ABSOLUTELY failed his kids, knowing they were molesters and still allowing them to come into his home and be alone with his kids. But both parents failed them for sure.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very powerful documentary
brentgray7323 June 2020
You and your sister are so very brave. Thankyou for sharing your story
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional
lizshotter22 December 2020
As a social worker (and now training to become a play therapist with children) I have spent time with children who've experienced the worst possible abuse, often at the hands of multiple abusers, and often people who were supposed to love and protect them.

Whilst this was obviously challenging to watch, it was absolutely necessary, not only to professional counsellors like me but for everyone. Sachas goal is to open up the discussion around ritualistic child sexual abuse and the syndrome of secrecy it omits in families. The more we stay silent around this issue or switch off or turn away, the less likely a child is to recover and the more likely abusers will continue their sickening acts, as they feel secure that nobody will listen to their victim.

I found it so difficult to watch sachas overwhelming empathy for his father and when you watch it I'm sure you will understand why. But this young man's capacity for forgiveness, resilience, love and the unwavering adoration he has for his family unit is extremely powerful. Perspectives such as this helps us to spot abuse and challenge it and the more we're educated the better equipped we are to help a abuse survivor heal.

There comes a time in a survivors life where you can choose for the abuse to not be a dominant and overarching part of your story, and instead adopt new perspectives, new experiences and take back control of your life and body. With this film it appears that sacha has achieved this and he and his sister are remarkable people. I highly recommend watching this, but be warned that there are a lot of triggering moments and descriptions of brutal child abuse, but we have to start listening to these accounts in order to move forward.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding
shellcleo1 January 2021
What an amazing young man you are Sasha. Thank you for being the voice of abused children everywhere. An emotional ride with triumphant bits. Truly inspiring.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tears of anger.... Tears of Victory
silvasiembra8 August 2020
This story moved me to a crying mess. I was shocked, angered, and saddened. Then.... I was surprised with joy by the heroes who come together for the sake of fighting for justice. I'm glad to see people stand for what is morally correct..... minus defense lawyers who sell their souls. A must-see to those who want to experience the nauseating battle against child abuse and the powerful victories which result from it.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally the whole subject of abuse
Arts-student16 January 2020
Unlike other documentaries on this subject, like LEAVING NEVERLAND, this film spends the time to show evidence and the full emotional impact of its circumstances and the people effected. Most importantly this film discusses the cycle of abuse which sadly remains absent from so many other abuse documentaries. And does all of this while having the director's voice and yet without forcing your opinion of the people involved. Truly it's about the devastating gray area of abuse, not the black and white.
43 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank you Sasha for telling your story
kristinesklarz7 August 2020
Such a brave young man and doing such amazing work today because of what he went through.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well-done documentary on a very disturbing subject, with important lessons for all
MzKarizzma23 May 2020
In this documentary, filmmaker Sasha Neulinger takes a brave, bold, and personal look at issues of familial child sexual abuse through his lens and the lens of his father, a videographer who scrupulously filmed family events around the same time as the abuse occurred. As a survivor, Neulinger shines a light on how this abuse can be passed down through generations, even among families that appear "normal" and successful. He also explores the ways in which the criminal justice system re-victimizes the survivor in its attempt to address the issue. Disturbing as the content may be, this film is definitely worth watching for anyone concerned about this important topic.
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Travesty of Justice; All Evil Sanctioned by Religious Leaders
takegoodcare8 August 2020
The worst offender gets off relatively scot-free? His religious congregation comes to his aid in supporting child sex abuse? The younger brother who was least involved, and was damaged by his older brother, gets the most time? How is this fair?

Money and religion win the day again and Sasha's worst abusers go free to enjoy their lives. Meanwhile, the synagogue is still doing the weekly car washes to raise money for the oldest, most abusive brother. Sick.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly well put together
johnevans-459328 August 2020
Incredibly well made film, especially considering the topic.

Dear lord I cried when that therapist guy talked about the yamaka, and several other times.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Amazing
aliciaschulz118 November 2020
Really opens your eyes about abusers among families. Seems so obvious and we literally see Sasha change behavior and appearance dramatically, and still no one thought to do anything. Such a great film and told very well.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting
theunshackledmind22 August 2020
This isn't easy to watch. It's real, and it is haunting. But, the story is also empowering and optimistic.

This is a story of the cycle of sexual abuse. It's the story of family, and influence. Of silence, and courage.

This isn't easy to watch, but you should.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful and heartbreaking story of strength
nikrife11 September 2020
As an educator i have seen children endure abuse at the hands of their trusted circles and I found this documentary a powerful voice for the survivors of sexual abuse. What a brave and chilling story.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very deep & hard hitting
filbaxter7120 May 2020
Very insightful, moving & sometimes hard to watch. A very well made document of what seemed a fairly normal family.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank you, Sasha!
robinwoodpdx17 August 2020
Thank you, Sasha, for living your life so courageously, including the making of this documentary. You let your pain be harnessed for the good of others: especially for awareness purposes (vital!), and for illustration of how our legal system functions in these cases (there can be justice, but it is a hard row to hoe, and punishments do not necessarily match crimes). Even beyond that, thanks to you, the system is getting improved, at least in one region--reducing the amount of repeated testimony (which causes retraumatization for victims) required to press prosecution forward. May your future be as bright as you are--the original, wonderful Sasha you were made by God to be--and may no harm, but only blessing, come to you in all your future days!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't rate movies, but this was a masterpiece.
colorguardian7 September 2020
Haunting, gutting, uncomfortable, devastating, and yet it pours out hope and displays the best of humanity all the same. So beautifully well done, in the storytelling and also the cinematography. This needs to be seen by everyone.

P.S If you like "Fear of 13", then this is 100% your speed.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING AND BRAVE
squallpendragon3 September 2019
A documentary from a brave person about himself. Hearing the story told in a thoughtful way about his upbringing and full family. It has a clear message and is informative. Very important film that will help people recognize and prevent child abuse.
28 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.