The Collini Case (2019) Poster

**** Where's The Slack?
velvet_zoo25 September 2019
Mr. M'Barek does a good job playing an overzealous young lawyer, new to the game, believing in justice in a world that is everything but fair. Taking over his first case he will have to learn to make choices he did not study in law school. So far the premise seems like a great old sweater, worn many times, but somehow still comfy. Somehow it was knitted with too many different threads of wool. Penned down by at least three credited writers on the leash of nine credited producers, this plot feels overwritten by throwing in bundles of issues and coincidences. Each by its own, fully acted out, would have worked for me. Together it kind of fell apart. I don't know if it's all in the novel, it probably is, but novels thrive on other things than actors creating believable characters. I wish the ambitious script had cut this ambitious lawyer some slack for expanding Mr. M'Bareks portfolio. Three stars and a half.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touching and thrilling
kostehrenberg24 April 2019
Starting like a better TV crime movie, The Collini Case turns suddenly into one of the best drama films I have seen for a long time. A very emotional and also shocking movie and yes, real good cinema from Germany. I hope for a nomination for the oscar for the international feature film.

Don't forget tissues, and please note that the movie has some (necessarily) heavy scenes.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love the novels of Ferdinand von Schirach
Petra_Huber20 April 2019
I love the novels of Ferdinand von Schirach. And I like Elyas M'Barek as an actor. So this movie was a must for me. The film is told incredibly tight and there are no lengths. From me the film gets 10 out of 10 points. Absolutely worth seeing.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful
mmaguina14 October 2019
While the plot is somewhat predictable and Elyas MBarek a bit too old for the character he plays the movie is a compelling thriller. Franco Nero delivers a powerful performance. Worth watching!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too stretched out
butkutesea10 October 2019
Good plot and interesting story but the long shots do not give any extra information nor create the right atmosphere
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great story, great movie
martin-joest21 May 2019
Maybe this story is not true, but there are thousands of stories like this. It is a memorial to justice, not to law(s). And a reminder against fascism and similar idologies. Watch the movie, read the book. Once, twice and more. Tell all the people you know. This movie is a reminder
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Astonishing movie
rtrampler30 April 2019
Not what you would expect from Elias M'Barek but it was better than I could have imagined. The story from von Schirach discusses moral and he depicts legal issues in an outstanding manner without being boring to outsiders. I would really recommend watching the movie.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential but failed.
er-usmani12 October 2019
Watching this movie, one of the many problems you are going to notice right away is the lack of character development. There is not enough backstory for any of the characters for the viewer to really connect with them.

The second biggest problem probably arises from the first one. The movie is nowhere as engaging and immersive as the director/cast is hoping it is. This movie failed to generate the right emotional response at the right times. It being a trial court drama, one intuitively links it to the "A Few Good" men and sighs at how this movie just falls short at its climax.

Nice try but meh.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely thrilling, but not for the faint of heart
lestarte24 April 2019
It really was worth seeing, with good actors and nice settings and camera angles, and of course a gripping story. Also, the screen writers did a good job, too. But, beware freshly baked parents - it could get a little bit intense. Not what you'd expect now with my warning, but just be warned.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Someone wants movie award.
pitikuss13 October 2019
Playing it safe, if you want to win any movie prize, make a movie about WW2 ...corresponding with victor's history view...

Getting very boring by now...

No matter the implementation. It's beating the dead horse well beyond decomposition...
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.