Queen & Slim (2019) Poster

(2019)

Jesus, the review bombing
buckbeak-solo1220 November 2019
I don't even want to review this movie, but it hasn't even come out and somehow half of the ratings are one star. The movie itself is pretty great and I'd highly recommend you go see it when it comes out. The acting is very strong, the directing feels very fresh/unique, and you really grow to care about the film's romance. The political statements this movie makes are secondary to the story of these well-fleshed out characters and their struggles, which makes the commentary resonate stronger than many other movies like this. It ain't perfect --it's a bit long, especially when considering the repetitive structure of the story, and the shot composition is a bit boring but this is a movie that everyone should go and see. And jesus, I don't know how it would be possible, butcan you not find a way to weed out the people who review-bomb movies with strong political messages/that have minorities or women in the leading roles? Christ.
275 out of 379 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully moved
dinahs_41 December 2019
Going into the movie the police stop would've realistically ended with 2 shot and 1 person walking away free again. This time the tables turn and we have a hurt, broken (rightfully so) black woman together with an innocent naive black man, leading him down a path that she knows will end in death, and he eventually reaches that same conclusion. As the the film moves on, you realize she needs this adventure and connection to another human being and her past to reconcile who she is. The silly delays of the 2nd date, riding a horse and running out of gas twice reminds you that these are not career criminals, but 2 humans trying to find a way out of a situation that can never be. Literally living everyday like it's their last. The support they received along the way is uplifting and the end is beautiful and heartbreaking. This parallels the Joker in that a faction of society that is forgotten and devalued can gravitate and uplift that which will give them a voice. The movie does do a great job at getting you connected with the characters however it did give me unreasonable hope and anxiety considering they're doomed from the start. When we see the waitress deliver the food to Queen and Slim you just assume it's a normal regular movie but the minute Queen opens her mouth to Slim from that moment on it's pure reality and I love it, its literally today's world and I had a good time seeing it. It's the perfect date movie for today's generation, it's kind of like Do The Right Thing for this generation.

The only disappointing part was how they put their trust into a nut who lived in a trailer to get them on a plane to Cuba. Like they really thought a dude who was living in a trailer park knew the plug. I definitely recommend seeing this moving, it will surely stay on your mind and heart.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs a better edit
spotboyfilms27 November 2019
This movie is infuriating because it has so much potential. The setup is promising and both actors have enough pull to take you along for the ride. Daniel Kaluuya is a great actor of our times, he carries the screen so well with his eyes and expression. For me, the movie fails in it's editing and pacing, especially past the halfway point. The movie feels about 40 minutes too long. In the beginning, the characters' decision to go on the run feels very haphazard, especially considering Queen's profession. Some of the main character decisions are remarkably dumb and certain other side characters take decisions that are unlike them. Without going into spoilers, all I can say is that this movie is just too slow paced and does not fulfil a promise of what could have been a great fugitive movie with a strong social message.
73 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HATERS will tell you it's not great because of the message
chickenfolife30 November 2019
This movie was full of emotion. Both actors were strong, and the storyline flowed. I think people who give it trash ratings most likely don't like the issue presented in the movie, which is police brutality among African Americans. I think they are giving it low ratings because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Half of them probably never even saw it!!
51 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Authentic feeling
paigebalston1 December 2019
The film was a beautiful yet striking journey and though all of our favorite love stories have definite endings, this one tied two purposes together. The director did a phenomenal job and everyone involved for that matter. This is a film I'm rooting for. Hope it stays in theaters longer than 2 weeks.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tear Jerker
keith-727941 December 2019
Really enjoyed the movie. It was timely and paid respect to what's been going on in the country for the past 7 years. My wife cried for 10 minutes after the ending and we have been talking about its content for the past four hours. I will definitely buy it when it's released. On another note, parents beware. There are some scenes...it you know what I mean.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid film
BPatrick074522 November 2019
The movie is an emotional journey. The character are humanized. For a person of color, you can easily envision yourself in their shoes. The film does have an artistic quality to it which further enhances the movie. The story is good. I wish the film spent a little more time on some of the secondary characters. However, I also understand it was not their story. The film is long. A few scenes could have been cut. Nevertheless, it is a good film and worth seeing. Ignore all the negative views who are trying to bomb the reviews just because the movie stars black actors.
79 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating Film - A MUST SEE
constantinosisaias21 November 2019
I saw Queen and Slim! I am emotional and very touched from this movie. It's one of the best films this year. Incredible script written by Lena Waithe ! The way Melina Matsoukas put wisely the puzzles together to tell this story with her debut film! She is incredible storyteller! But also the movie is brilliant because of the great actors and their magnificent performances! Daniel Kaluuya is so deep with his performance you can feel everything through his eyes! Jodie Turner-Smith had an incredible strong chemistry with Daniel and she is captivating you! The soundtrack, cinematography, production was perfect ! It's a 10 stars masterpiece that it stays with you after the movie. Thank you for sharing this story out today! We need it!
70 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An incredible experience of joy and suspense
UniqueParticle1 December 2019
Well worth the money no matter what people say the bulk of the movie is so well done and wonderfully thrilling! The cast is riveting and the cinematography is spectacular! I understand the hate the film got but I must say I absolutely loved Queen and Slim's legacy of adventures. One of the best of its type, I hope a portion appreciate it.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dislike bombed
vvvvvv-9666321 November 2019
A lot of people are Disliking the movie even doe they never seen it.
131 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid premise, but goes off the rails
bellboy510 December 2019
Some people here are saying their will be haters because of the political message. I think the film will get more credit than it deserves because of the message.

It starts promising with a tinder date gone horribly wrong (although it feels that the events were staged intentionally for it to go wrong ... as does much of the rest of the film).

What ensues tries very hard to be a love story, a tale of redemption, an episodic journey and a political revelation ... but it all gets jumbled in a series of questionable decisions and actions and characters that never quite reveal depth.

I was invested with the characters at the beginning, even with their bad judgement, but at some point I said out loud "if he gets on that horse, I'm done with this film." We continue with a series of events that clumsily attempt to reveal the humanity of the characters, but leave the audience asking "why the hell are they doing that? Especially now?"

I wanted to like the film after seeing the trailer, but it is ultimately weighed down by its own self-indulgence, culminating in scene after scene continuing to hammer home the point when the film should have ended long before. I recommend a pass.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent must see movie!
ang06622 November 2019
I just left the theater from an early screening. This movie was excellent! Amazing acting, great storyline, and nice soundtrack. 10/10 all the way around. GO SEE IT!!!
61 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Road movie and relationship drama with social undercurrent
paul-allaer30 November 2019
As "Queen & Slim" (2019 release; 132 min.) opens, we get to know these two characters, as they are on their first dinner date in Cleveland. Afterwards, they get pulled over by a blatantly racist cop. The tension mounts and when the cop shoots Queen, Slims dives into the cop and in the ensuing struggle, shoots and kills the cop.Terrified by what has happened, they decide to takeoff and drive to New Orleans, where Queen's uncle lives... At this point we are 10 minutes into the movie, but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you will just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the feature length debut of director Melina Matsoukas, well known for her many music videos (Beyoncé, Jay Z). Here she brings the courtship of Queen and Slim In the form of a road movie, pure and simple. After the initial shock of the opening 10 minutes, the movie takes a decidedly different tone as this is more about the budding relationship between these two then it is about excessive police force against unarmed African Americans. In that sense, the movie's trailer is a bit misleading as that clearly emphasized the racial tensions and related social issues. The other issue I have is that at two hours and a quarter hour, the movie is just too long for its own good. A tighter edit could've trimmed 15 to 20 minutes without the movie losing any of its essence. Daniel Kaluuya as Slim and newcomer Jodie Turner-Smith as Queen are terrific in the lead roles. Keep your eye out for a short (less than 5 minutes) appearance by Chloë Savigny and an almost unrecognizable Flea as her husband.

"Queen & Slim" Open wide on Thanksgiving weekend. The Thanksgiving day matinee screening where I saw this at was attended dismally (two people including myself), which quite surprised me. If you have any Interest In seeing a road movie of a very different kind, with strong romantic and social undercurrent, I readily suggest you check this out, be at in the theater, on VOD, or eventually on DVD and Blu-ray, and draw your own conclusion.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Hit: This film failed to deliver on its potential.
michaeldoud10 December 2019
First Hit: This film failed to deliver on its potential.

The potential in this film is to tell the story about how people of color are targeted for police harassment and random shootings. It failed to make this the central and poignant topic and the primary focus of the movie. Instead, it took a compelling beginning and turned it into a story about two people searching for someone who'll love them the way they want to be loved.

That's not to say that a love story based on a horrible event isn't unusual, but with our country's problems of race, it seemed like this story had the potential to tell us something about where we've gone wrong. Instead, it became the side story.

Slim (Daniel Kaluuya) and Queen (Jodie Turner-Smith) meet on a Tinder date. Their differences are immediately evident as she's well dressed, proper in manners, slow to share personal stuff, and an attorney. He's dressed down more, a bit lazy in table manners, open, and is very close with his family.

The conversation at the table is a kind jab and parry type and with a sense of respect. Giving her a ride home, she steals his phone and, in an attempt, to grab it back, Slim yanks the steering wheel and the car swerves.

They are stopped by a policeman who is belligerent and pushy in his actions and requests towards Slim. As a lawyer, Queen takes umbrage to the policeman's behavior and talks back to him. She tells him that she's an attorney, and he has no right to be doing what he's doing to Slim. Slim, on the other hand, is compliant and even lets the officer search his trunk. Queen points out that the cop has no cause to do this, a scuffle ignites, the policeman draws his gun, fires, and hits Queen in the leg. Slim knocks the policeman down, the weapon falls loose and Slim picks it up and shoots the officer in the head.

The officer dies, and Queen convinces Slim to make a run for it.

That's the premise. The rest of the film is about how the black community looks up to these outlaws and their admiration for them standing up to the law. In support, many aid them in escaping the manhunt. They meet up with people who help them along the way and end up finding a connection to fly them out of Florida and on to Cuba where they will live for the rest of their lives. That's the plan.

The edge created by the opening scenes is lost as the film drifts off into a love story with their deed becoming a side story and only there to keep them running - together.

Kaluuya was alright in this role. It seemed to me that the lost direction in this story took away several possibilities. Turner-Smith was excellent as Queen. Again, the film's story veered away from what could have been a powerful statement. Bokeem Woodbine, as Queen's Uncle Earl, was terrific. His arguments with his live-in girlfriends were amusing. Lena Waithe wrote this mediocre screenplay that ended up focusing on being a love story and not about what brought these two together. Melina Matsoukas did an adequate job of presenting this story and many of the sets and scenes (like hiding under the floor) worked really well.

Overall: This film failed to capture my attention to a subject that has been too much part of the news.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
rmaynard-0354410 December 2019
I was disappointed with the way the story was told - I enjoyed the character Slim but that's about it - in my opinion most of the time there was a whole lot of nothing going on - seemed to be either predicable or unbelievable - some refer to the romance in the movie maybe that's why I didn't care for it as I'm not really a fan of romantic movies
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stereotypes Galore. Disgusting Movie. Failed Message.
ajawrrll5 December 2019
I was VERY disappointed. I thought it would be bonnie and clyde but with black characters. Instead it was just a race baiting mess. 1) there was no chemistry between the actors 2) the script was choppy 3) everyone was calling each other N 4) they had slim eat like an animal except for when he was in front of 2 caucasian characters 5) some kid they met along the way goes crazy but then they never show you what happens after or really before 6) the movie makes it seem like all black people are violent and have broken pasts 7) pimp stereotypes, weed smoking, black people turning on each other, gold teeth, rude comments from caucasian characters reflecting today's time, black people not knowing their rights and dumb characters, black on black crime, black kids playing basketball like that's all they do. I can go on and on.

I want my money and time back. That movie was just plain and anti law enforcement.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A farcical fugitive film.
BA_Harrison3 December 2019
A Tinder date goes awry when Angela and Ernest (striking beauty Jodie Turner-Smith and Get Out's Daniel Kaluuya) are pulled over by a racist cop and wind up shooting him in self-defence. Realising they're in deep trouble, the couple go on the run, making a desperate bid for Florida, and then Cuba, before they are apprehended by the law.

African American drama Queen & Slim would have us all believe that the bond between black people is so strong that they will happily harbour fugitives from the law simply because they share the same skin colour (reward money be damned). Hell, even a black police officer is willing to risk his career to allow the armed-and-dangerous couple to slip away unnoticed, even though they're wanted for cop-killing. To be honest, it borders on the farcical at times. Still, no wonder Angela and Ernest (they're never actually called Queen and Slim in the film) blindly trust the decidedly dodgy looking guy with the gold teeth at the end; he's black as well, so based on previous experience he should be on the level too, right? Or maybe, just maybe, he's the exception that proves the rule.

The script for this black Thelma & Louise/Bonnie & Clyde fugitive flick is chock full of hard-to-swallow happenings, the couple making stops on their flight to freedom to partake in a burger, have a dance, ride a horse, visit a cemetery, make love, recklessly leap from a high window (as opposed to lowering themselves as far as possible and then letting go), hand their only firearm to a flaky looking gas station attendant, and lean out of the car window as they drive along (not the most inconspicuous behaviour for people on the lam!). Somehow they evade capture the whole way, even popping in at a service garage to have the radiator on their car fixed (luckily for them, the establishment is owned by yet another black man unwilling to inform the law).

As the couple continue their journey, they become folk heroes for the African American community, who rise up against police brutality and racism, which results in the film's most unlikely moment: a young black lad (the mechanic's son) joins a protest and shoots a black policeman in the face for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Still, it's no more perplexing than the many poor decisions made by Angela and Ernest, the last of which costs them their lives.

It might sound like I'm being unjustly harsh on this film, but I wanted to like Queen & Slim a lot more, I really did. It looks great and both lead actors put in solid performances, but the script requires much 'tightening up' for it to work, not least because, in it's present state, the film runs at a way-too-long 131 minutes.

4.5/10, rounded up to 5 for IMDb. It had bags of potential, but the flaws are many.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As a movie, it wasn't that good
hardik011728 November 2019
The opening sequence is mind bogglingly great. It's also mostly shown in the trailer. After that, the movie doesn't know what it wants to do. A plethora of confused dialogue coupled with amazing performances by the two leads make for a tolerable hour of entertainment. It didn't help that Queen's character was inherently unlikeable. As a statement, the movie almost failed to live up to it's promise, until in a shockingly predictable moment, it shook me. It legitimately made me have a physical reaction to the scene on screen.
31 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see!
luanna-963-31296624 November 2019
Most won't get it. Most won't watch it (yet still manage to give 1-star reviews). It's okay because it's not made for the majority who could learn a lot were it not for willful ignorance. This is not for closed-minded people.
37 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lot to love, but some to hate
mrmurr990927 November 2019
This film was shot brilliantly. It looks and sounds beautifully. However (without spoiling) I think the film took a few plot turns that were far more drastic than they needed to be to get the writer's vision across.

Clearly there was a vision when the choice was made, but I don't think it added any real value to the storyline.

Certainly worth a watch, and some solid performances by the leads. However, nothing Oscar worthy.
18 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badly Handled Incoherent Plot, So Many People Walked Out
martimusross4 December 2019
Queen & Slim

I saw this at the unlimited secret screening.

Ultimately this movie was so fatally flawed in so many aspects that it just left a nasty taste in the mouth.

What was good

There was strong and convincing acting from the two main leads, Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith however she was so cold, rude and manipulative for us to believe we had a Romeo and Juliet moment. I would have opened the car door and thrown her out.

The road trip element kept us interested and was reminiscent of Thelma and Louise in its haphazardness.

The music was good.

What was totally hashed

The plot - The nasty tinder date led to being stopped by the police, they had swerved in the car, and this led the policeman, quite rightly believing he was driving under the influence of drink and/or drugs. I have been stopped and I complied to the letter the instructions the policeman gave me. Why would you antagonise/backchat/sass a man with a gun. We had an almost identical scene in The Hate U Give, and it is just an incoherent plot.

The choices - as a lawyer she knew with the camera footage she had a good chance of arguing her case in court, she knew she could never run so why did she try. Quite ridiculous!

The tone - much of the plot was comedic and was not specifically a issue led race movie, but towards the end it became inferred the whole movie was about race, well it wasn't as a black cop was gunned down as well. It really was neither fish nor fowl.

There was a good deal of stylistic elements that distracted from the drama for example the cutting between the sex scene and the protest march.

Lastly the ending was quite moronic they clearly were unarmed and so would not have been gunned down, this was no Bonnie & Clyde or Butch Cassidy.

Lastly I have had a gutful of issue led movies that demonise men, white people, politicians, policemen, equality, social security etc. Hollywood is just not best placed to contrive a drama to raise these issues as it is all so unbalanced.
19 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Queen Of Politics and Slim On Secondary Character Development. This Drama Is Power Messages Lost to Editing Choices
rgkarim28 November 2019
Another holiday, another week to try and get the most out of the movies and the shopping frenzy of Black Friday. Tonight's feature is another political drama that will potentially lead to much discussion, potential motivation, and certainly a lot of discussion about the quality of the movie. Given the heated reviews I've seen so far, I'm going to do my best to put an objective focus on this review and give you heads up as to whether or not one should take this film in for the holiday theater run. Let's get started as I look at:

LIKES:

Acting Symbolism Adventure mixed with Morals Cultural Representation Tasteful At Times Music

DISLIKES:

Long Slow Pace Super political at parts that detracts from story Secondary character are sort of at lost A bit stereotypical at times Lazy writing in dialogue at times Predictable Editing Issues

The Verdict:

Queen and Slim's two main leads are stellar, taking very shallow characters and evolving their performances with to match the development. Their chemistry is fantastic with each other, really delivering a believable relationship that does not feel forced or scripted, but rather natural and flowing. It's this component that will be the core foundation for the film, as both Kaluuya and Turner-Smith are capable of delivering the politically charged content in heated yet classy ways. As you can guess, this movie has a lot of hot topics built into it, and the movie utilizes the cinematography to bring lots of symbolism into the film. Sequences are designed to capture the full power of many topics of interest, attempting to again balance the heat of the moment with an objective take sort of capturing a news debate in a more entertaining form. Queen and Slim's adventure is definitely a road trip that should be engaging for target audiences of drama/political lovers, but for those looking for messages to motivate you should see this achieved as well. Preachy at times (as most of these films are), this tale does a nice job of instilling the writer's values into a classy, ethical manner that will provide some food for thought and reanalyzing one's approach to these arguments. In addition, several members in my audience mentioned that they appreciated the cultural representation at key moments and the importance of pride and reputation as several secondary characters showed. I found that though stereotypical, it was tasteful compared to what other movies have done in the past. Finally, the music has enough musical genres to make an entertaining soundtrack, with R&B, Rap, and Hip hop ready to blast through the speakers during transition sequences. Not the most relevant in terms of story, but a good soundtrack is always welcome in my book to get my feet moving.

However, I agree with my reviewers there are some decisions made in this movie I felt detracted from the messages and story they wanted to tell. My limitation starts with the length of the film and the pace that did not support the length. Much of the film feels very drawn out, bloated sequences that did not need to be present, while other times it was a little too focused on pointing out the obvious. As I mentioned earlier, Queen and Slim requires the two main characters to be the focus of all the political writing in the movie. While they excel at this, the supporting characters are a little too much in the background for my tastes. Like connecting the dots, the farther the two travel the more diluted the characters become, leading to plain interactions with most, often to introduce a new angle and conversation topic to discuss. I'll admit I liked seeing the influence the two had, especially at the end, but I had hoped for a little more progression and pertinence than what we got. The truth is that this film really focuses on hitting all the political issues so hard that it sort of drives off from the story and leave the main characters in side scenes while the people they have talked to "evolve" so to speak. Most of these scenes were... okay, but a couple were so convoluted and unnecessary, that I only saw it as a more time extension than quality shot, again meant for a politically charged audience. Throw in much of the writing is again back to lots of cursing and insults to go with the stereotypical portrayals and well, you sort of drown the better writing in this representation. Overall, the main thing that this movie suffers from is the editing and trying to be too tastefully political in the sequences sort of diluted the incredible potential of the story.

Queen and Slim is a drama that has important messages for the world to see and think on, and does a decent job with not making them too aggressive. Yet, in terms of an entertaining story that has the full picture of suspense, discussion, and storytelling it still has areas of improvement to go. It's the editing and how much they wanted to include that I think got this film in trouble, and because of the side tangents and attempts to personify the problems in this character, the story got scattered. For those that want their political ideals represented and relate to the trials each character has, this movie is a theater visit, but for the rest of the audience, I feel the investment at a home watch is going to be key to maximizing your experience.

My scores are:

Drama: 7.0 Movie Overall: 5.5
16 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
brianjohnson-200435 December 2019
Not a bad premise for a movie. But it somehow manages to be ridiculously unrealistic and boring the way the writer decided to present the story. One or two of the astonishing story choices could work. Maybe 5 or 6 if it took place over years rather than days. But all the coincidences and plot holes ended up being like a farce. Which is a problem when the film is supposed to be a drama.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A modern but very slow and inplausible bonnie and Clyde
coombsstephen3 December 2019
Not a bad idea for a movie but in the circumstance of the plot was just too slow. Had it been fast and snappy it could have been a good film.

Or was also annoying that the film was just so unbelievable. I don't want to spoiler the film but as the action roles along the plot just becomes less and less credible.

Shame really, it could have been a good film
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!
ashley_davis2422 November 2019
If you are black, and emotional this movie will take you through it! Its a great movie. EVERYONE should go see it!
50 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.