The Nevers (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

A very enjoyable Victorian sci-fi.
rblamanna3 May 2021
I am astonished at the negative "professional" reviews for this series. It's well-produced, well-written, well-acted, and overall a very engaging series. Four episodes in and I find myself looking forward to the next installment. All of the criticisms I've seen are petty and/or absurd. "The super powers are unrealistic." That is a near verbatim line. "All the bad guys are rich white men." Another near verbatim criticism from the same review. Irony levels of an Onion article.

My review: it's fresh, it's fun, and better in every category than 95% of the modern super-hero / sci-fi genre.
201 out of 235 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Every Episode Needs to Be Watched Twice
kimmock-557313 May 2021
This isn't a lazy show- there is so much work put into the scenes, characters and acting and it shows in the finished product. So much better then reviews gave it. The episodes are so dense that to catch everything I've found myself rewatching every show. It's a wonderful, escapist, smart show. Can't wait to see where it takes me.

And doesn't that opening theme song remind you of THE MAGICIANS?
108 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So original
sambriant197518 May 2021
Have just binge watched the first six parts, I am totally hooked. This is a very original series that is really refreshing. It has great characters who you become really attached to. Some of the best television I've seen for a long time.
85 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't pay any attention to the naysayers!!
scanlonjg6 May 2021
Ye gads, the critics really came down on this series because of Joss Whedon's involvement. But give it a chance. It's got an interesting storyline, steampunk influences, and a really great cast. Yes, the storyline is mostly about women, but they are all shapes, sizes, ages, etc. There are male and female heroes and villains. People with unnatural abilities, yes, that's been done before. And will be done again and again. There's nothing wrong with using that as a base. The show is great!
119 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing world and story telling.
briellejoymarshall13 May 2021
I am officially done reading the "critic" reviews.

So far, I think this show is a cinematic master piece. Slow and deep story telling, beautiful world building and intriguing character building.

It sweeps you in. I definitely recommend.
72 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont hate because Josh Whedon isn't in vogue.
martink176710 May 2021
This is a superb supernatural drama. Well acted, great characters and superbly produced. Well worth a watch, so you can make up your own minds . I hoping its found its audience and gets a 2nd season. Love it.
86 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets better every episode
fraser-simons18 May 2021
I was on the fence for the first episode but it quickly won me over. The finale was alright. Interesting idea, not totally sure what that looks like for season 2, if it gets renewed. Whedon has been outed for pretty deplorable behaviour, who knows what that means.

As is though, the Victorian super hero and Other narrative feels like it's well done. Clearly a lot of good casting and a pool of good writers to pull off something that's a bit tropey yet also niche and weird. I like having this in tandem with all the nihilistic "realistic" super hero shows lately. These questions are more interesting, imo.
33 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blew me away.
suchart-5092315 May 2021
This show is amazing! The characters have gradient and depth and they're really interesting and I can't wait to learn more about them! The fight scenes are great and the set and costumes are top-notch. It's pretty bingeable so it's hard for me to wait every week for a new episode but the standalone episodes are pretty fun to watch as well.

You almost don't even notice they're women. They're just well-created characters and not some cliched tough-chick trope you see in many other movies and shows. They're tough but they're also weak. They fight for good but they also have flaws. The male characters are pretty colorful, too, and I can tell they will play a big part in the story, especially the bird guy.

Such a vivid and imaginative world full of fun, fights and adventures. I swear if this show gets cancelled I'm literally going to kill myself.
45 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing new series
cmstultz12 April 2021
Quirky and rife with mystery (based on the 1st episode), it drew me in. Fine performances by all the leads; lots of fun details and invention. I'll be watching more. And BTW, could someone please tell the reviewer who rated it "1" that this is a steampunk-infused fantasy/SF series? It's no more a rewrite of Victorian history than "Lovecraft Country" was a rewrite of American race relations in the 1950s, or "Penny Dreadful" an historical documentary about this same era.
240 out of 354 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm loving this show
mysticnox3 May 2021
And the fact that it's headed up by Laura Donnelly just makes it all the better. She was awesome in Outlander, now she's awesome in this.

What a fascinating idea for a show. Interesting powers too. I can't wait to see what happens next. Please renew this for another season.
50 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hold on to your historically accurate underwear!
tiawhite-9580914 May 2021
This show is fabulous! The story... rich. The costumes... BRILLIANT! Be prepared to fall in love with Penance Adair and wholly wish to shelter her from all cruelty the world has to offer. I love this show. My life now is just wishing it were Sunday.
40 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So unique and well written
kriscahill24 April 2021
Like s Victorian X-Men meets Penny Dreadful.

I absolutely love it. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
68 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for the narrow minded
fatfil-414-4517974 May 2021
This series is hard to categorise. Kind of fantasy, science fiction, with some semi-lame X-men type super powers thrown in. It's set in Victorian times, add some graphic violence, a touch of profanity, and a huge dose of humour. Classic Joss Whedon. I am bewildered by the negative reviews, and definitely refute the accusations of poor acting. If you don't enjoy this, you should probably be watching The Fast and the Furious 12, or 13, whatever the latest action abomination Hollywood has vomited up.
48 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent fantasy
jlinzalone1 June 2021
A remarkable cast and smart dialog elevates this terrific series. Its surprisingly good.

Refreshingly well written and plotted, its overly obvious aspect of gender and class descrimination distracts from better character development and focus, but it has been quite a treat so far.

With creator Joss Whedon shunned aside one hopes quality can continue as projects can get lost and diminish wih replacement management.

Mid second season of Deadwood new writers lost heir way, and the promise of a Riverworld series fizzled the same way.

Will HBO be smart enough to continue episodes 7 onward with such inspiration and sharp writing??

They certainly failed miserably with Game of Thrones final season.

I hope they are paying attention, because this series is one of the better things Whedon has ever done, and I would love to see more!!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
MrCods12 April 2021
Absolutely loved the pilot and if they keep it going like this then they will have a winner with this show. Cannot understand why some others didnt like it. I thought it was very well directed and acted. It is not a history lesson so leave that at the door with this serious action comedy.
130 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure what's so "woke" about it
klinn733 May 2021
Not seeing many valid criticisms of this show outside of the fact that it's apparently "pushing an agenda". Yeah... I think historical accuracy went out the window when there are people with magic powers walking the streets of 19th century London. If you're only upset about the fact that they cast POC actors or talk about feminism, then go watch Peaky Blinders, otherwise, just relax and enjoy the story.
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever, Innovative, Engaging and Fun
facesofine28 April 2021
What a treat to see this fun, action fantasy drama featuring strong female characters!! It won't be the next GOT, but it has action, humor, heart and a crisp dialogue that keeps the momentum at an engaging speed. Some of the fight sequences are fresh takes on old maneuvers, beautifully choreographed!! Hope there'll be more seasons to flesh out the main characters and each of their stories.
34 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much
UniqueParticle12 April 2021
Love the line about being civil and how wild the show starts out! Happy to see Joss Whedon directed/wrote this he's a legend in action plus being part of one of the best horror movies Cabin in the Woods. On and off have seen the previews for The Nevers for awhile I was iffy about it but it's awesomeness!
127 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for low IQs and low patience
Jack_C_14 June 2021
The Nevers is a complex treasure hunt for clues about the origins of the Touched, a select few in humanity randomly gifted with special powers.

There is the obligatory good vs evil narrative, but as with all good series, the uniquely crafted characters are wonderfully gray. Even the worst amongst them have understandable motivations.

Expect to be lost for the first few episodes. You are not going to learn the backstory until Episode 6. Just enjoy the characters reveals and fall in love with them as I have. Fans of Whedon classics will not be disappointed.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joss Whedon has written, produced and directed yet another fantastic series
j_ryberg12 April 2021
This is my kind of sci-fi fantasy; Sort of like James West and Artemis Gordon, except it's in 1899 London, and the heroes are women. Some reviewers don't like creativity, fantasy, and great production. This has all of those. I've always loved good science fiction, and at age 77, I still do. "The Nevers" has a mystery, and a couple of very smart, creative, "touched" women to solve it. I look forward to the next five episodes, and an S2.
139 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the critics
rowyn12324 April 2021
Watched the 2 first episodes and I'm hooked. It has a nice ring of Carnival Row meets the X-men with some thriller suspense. I love how they play with the abilities certain characters has, which is not the typical over-powered "I can bend metal with my mind"-kind of deal but rather more subtle. Great casting, FX and can't wait for the next episodes.

And btw critics, when you say it's "messy" without any valid examples of why you think so then I wonder how you felt about the first season of the Witcher. Which was amazing with a crazy messy plot structure that could only be explained by people who knows about the story beforehand.
57 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enchanted
marialiljestrand26 April 2021
There are a LOT of sci-fi coming out at the moment but few hold up or have good production. Both acting and production is amazing in " The nevers" and this series is the only one of the current sci-fi's that got me hooked. Literally cant wait for the next episodes.
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How is this not rated higher?
kristi23748 June 2021
I am shocked that this show is only rated a 7.4! I read the reviews in chronological order and they were excellent, so I decided to watch the show despite the rating. I am so glad I did. It was so good! It appears as if politics are playing a role in the ratings. I only hope that there will be a season 2. It will be such a shame if the show is cancelled. I am watching it a second time. Everyone should watch it twice.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good, I like, watch now.
onurzcn6 May 2021
I like show, it good. Pretty ladies.

Seriously, though this is a good show. What the flagella are people thinking? Are people using this show to virtue signal or something?
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong Female Characters with Super Powers
avisdolphin17 May 2021
What more is needed? Great cast and an entertaining mind-bending story. I'm just hoping for more seasons...6 episodes is not enough.
23 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.