21 Bridges (2019) Poster

(2019)

Solid old school cop thriller
trakev-6185223 November 2019
Good old fashioned cops and robbers movie,solid acting and great shootouts.Wish there was more of this type of movie!
233 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad I guess!
timucin_savas21 November 2019
The film was a pleasant surprise. Nothing new here but the camera work and action scenes were marvelous. Although the plot is not original the story was fine with good editing. Interesting take on "Manhattan island", however the script could have been better and acting was average at times. Nice Friday night flick!
172 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
21 bridges in and out of Manhattan? I had no idea there were that many!
donaldricco2 September 2020
"We got twenty-one bridges in and out of Manhattan. Shut them down. Three rivers. Close them. Four tunnels. Block them. Stop every train and loop the subways. Then, we flood the island with blue."

Well, that's the gist of this movie! Could have been ho-hum, but Chadwick Boseman makes it much better than that! He really was one heck of an actor! And he make his character, Andre Davis, really smoke on the screen! I'd have loved to see a sequel with this character. And, of course, any more that Mr. Boseman would have done. So sad that we lost such a fine, fine actor...
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tight action movie.
subxerogravity22 November 2019
I thought it was pretty thrilling and suspenseful police drama, that went fast enough not to bore me. I found the production to be pretty big with the whole thing about the movie being produced by the same guys who made Avengers: End game and it has a decent set of actors in it, but you're not going to get any substance from it. No depth just action. It has a message but the message does not out weight the dramatic action sequences. The Russo brothers could have done so much more with what they were given but they didn't. And is that what Chadwick Boseman really sounds like? I herd him mimic so many famous black people that I had no idea what he actually sounds like. Anyway. It's a good popcorn eating action movie. It's not met to win awards just make you satisfied when spending the two hours to see it.
87 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie
kapurkimaya30 August 2020
Watched this movie today, the very next day of Chadwick's passing. This is a very good movie. I highly recommend you watch it if you like thriller and action.
43 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth spending a few notes to see
pete-47023 November 2019
This is the type of film I've seen a hundred times or more on DVD, Netflix etc, but for some reason never think of going to see at the cinema. Our multiplex is getting renovated so they're a few screens down and when we got down there it was the only thing about to start in the next half hour. It's not going to win awards but it will entertain you.. it's not really going to keep you guessing but you will want to see how it pans out. It's not going to stay in my memory but it does make me want to see more of this type at the cinema rather than at home. Good, honest film.
74 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOWWW! I didn't expect that much!
jorgesouza-2205714 April 2020
Even if you don't like police films (my case), this movie is a sure bet. It has excellent actors, a good plot and it was well shot. The best police movie in years. Give it a try!
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing new, but still enjoyable
Top_Dawg_Critic4 February 2020
Aside from being very predictable, Chadwick Boseman was "too much" in his character and very melodramatic, as was the score during highlighted scenes. Otherwise, the directing was on point, the casting great, and the run-time and pacing perfect. I enjoyed it more than I thought. 7/10 from me
63 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RIP Chadwick
maher-fouad9129 August 2020
Can't believe he past away yesterday 😔.. A very talented actor
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Good Throwback Cop Thriller
thebishop140522 November 2019
I sometimes see people rate a movie highly and complain about the other low scores people have given it. Irks me particularly if the movie/series was actually poor. This film is not that!

A well directed, well acted cop thriller with enough twists to keep you interested throughout the movie.

Gritty, but also nuanced on who you end up rooting for in the movie. I genuinely can't understand the low ratings for this.
52 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bridge the gap
MAYESY-4428 June 2020
Really good action movie with a really good cast. I thought the story was really good and the action on it was some of the best I've seen in a film recently. The only minor downside was the unnecessary background music that didn't fit with the film and was a bit annoying in parts.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly good
brendan-1813922 April 2020
A surprisingly decent movie. Black panther is solid and it was a good watch. Not bad at all highly recommended
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad, Actually.
redrobin62-321-2073117 February 2020
Even though I saw them two days apart, "Black and Blue" could be called the younger brother of "21 Bridges" - two police thrillers set in an urban environment dealing with corrupt cops who get taken down by both violence from an angel black cop along with info on an external drive. A lot more money was spent on "21 Bridges", though, and it shows. Unfortunately, like "Black and Blue", it has its flaws; still, it made for an enjoyable, adrenaline-filled evening for a popcorn rush.
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best cop thriller for a long time
bbv-692375 February 2020
Chadwick Boseman is a genuine natural as a gritty cop - this is his best role since Message From The King. In this age of 30 year old teenagers obsessed with comic movies, it is great to see a genuine crime movie wth real characters on both sides and a tight plot that was well filmed with no need to provide explosions or titties for the teens. Both the 'bad guys' are excellent - especially Taylor Kitsch who has been miscasted foir a while now - he is a 'complicated' character and needs that sort of role to shine. Chadwick will probably end up as a TV cop and that will be great if the series has good director/s and writers - but I sure hope he makes a few more cop movies.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great crime thriller
masonsaul22 November 2019
21 Bridges is a great crime thriller that's tense and thrilling and also manages to (surprisingly) explore some morally grey aspects, despite it's generic plot. Chadwick Boseman gives a great lead performance. Taylor Kitsch and Stephan James are also great and Sienna Miller and J. K. Simmons are both really good. Brian Kirk's direction is excellent, keeping the film constantly moving and mobile, resulting in a great pace. The shootouts are well filmed and thrilling. The music by Henry Jackman and Alex Belcher is fantastic.
57 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good thriller
guybendavid12 April 2020
Well written script, good actors, surprising turning Point, and nice ending. Chadwick isn't just the black panther, also a good detective.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stephen James Really Stands Out
slightlymad2222 November 2019
I just got out of 21 Bridges

It's predictable (The twists are obvious) the dialogue is also routine and predictable (my son was saying some of the lines before the actors) but overall, I enjoyed it. A decent enough way to pass 90 minutes

Chadwick Bosnan is an effective leader and JK Simmons offers solid support but the always awesome Kieth David was under used and whilst the rest of the cast (Sienna Miller, Taylor Kitch) is all fine, it Stephen James was the stand out for me, I actually wanted him to get away at times.

There were only 19 other people in my screening
41 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was a great movie!
jandreharp23 November 2019
The people who didn't like this movie obviously watched a different movie than I did. Me and wife watched it last night and even she liked it (and she normally doesn't like these types of movies.) I thought the writing was great, the directing was great and the cast led by Chadwick was absolutely top notch. If you like a good cop chasing the bad guys kind of movie, then this is your movie!

Go watch it and enjoy!
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't get the hate
sm_u_know22 July 2020
This was definitely above average. Chadwick Boseman does a pretty fantastic job. Sienna Miller definitely deserves a lot of praise for her work too. The story might be something that's considered predictable, but what cop movie isn't. The execution here is what sets it apart from the movies in this genre
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best police/crime flick in a very long time
bergchamp21 November 2019
Ok, so the sub-plot and underlying corruption is NOT original, the integrity of the 3 main actors lends it to a murky, atmospheric cop ride not seen for some time.

The two shooters, Kitsch and James, and the detective, Boseman, make this for riveting and oft times suspense-ful drama

Glad to see a gritty cop flick again
73 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable???
johncomo-315 February 2020
Can we just enjoy the movie for it's entertainment value. It was a good movie.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid action, decent story.
dbadgio22 April 2020
Even if you can see the outcome in the first 10 minutes, this movie with its strong cast and good acting keeps you interested til the credits roll.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above average
muamba_eats_toast24 November 2019
Just enough twists and unpredictability to make this better than most cop thrillers. Whilst some of it is pretty simple the lead performance is great and it's pacing is pretty much perfect. Much better than average if unfortunately not spectacular.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eh not bad
derrickdamewood25 November 2019
Yeah there are some overly dramatic spots but they didn't skimp on the action. Simple plot, simple use of detective stuff, and some good bad guys. Not bad if you've already seen Joker, Knives out, Doctor Sleep, etc.

Due to the success of "black panther/get on up" you'll expect Chadwick Boseman to just start yelling something epic in the middle of it haha
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depends on when you decide to watch it
mr_sharma29 April 2020
First off, you will be in for a crushing disappointment if you are expecting an exploratory look into the 21 bridges round Manhattan.

In fact, Not a a single bridge was harmed in the making of this film.

This is a derivative story done many many times before. There is nothing new here.

The only reason you would give this film a look in because of the cast (really good level of acting is involved here). Quite impressed with how many good actors they managed to get in this.

H. brothers produce some proper rubbish films (Mile 22, happy time murders etc) and that sort of nonsense rears it's head here at points. Realism takes a back seat in parts of this film.

21 bridges blocked, a race against time....in the end neither matter. It does not matter that there is no way out or if time is of the essence. It's all a bit perfunctory.

Nevertheless, like films like the The Negotiator or 18 Blocks, it's one of those films where you don't mind switching off your brain.

It's no French connection or Serpico.

Overall, in time, history will completely forget this effort.

Just a footnote in the list of "people are after you" films.

It's a Sunday morning, sofa breakfast type of film.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.