The Act (TV Mini Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Patricia Arquette is a Revelation
krybacki-1821626 March 2019
She just keeps getting better and better. Her turn as Dee Dee Blanchard is even more riveting than her role in Escape from Dannemora. Hulu hits another home run.
82 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh, Patty! You've done it again!
amandaglarkin22 March 2019
This show is absolutely FANTASTIC! I had goosebumps pretty much the entire way through the first episode. It's shot beautifully and the acting is incredible. Joey King is indistinguishable from the real Gypsy, and Patricia Arquette is a revelation! God, I love that woman.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it isn't bingeable! Come on, Hulu! Gives us what we want!!!
94 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch if you want to know this case
jasminhegmann28 March 2019
If you are just watching to see a action loaded spare time filler- you came to the wrong place. This is for people who want to know more, or get to know this case. What happened to Gypsy is a tragedy and every scene and build up is necessary to truly understand the weight of this crime and how it came to the murder. It is pretty intense, but worth every minute...

All the actors are well chosen and nail their parts. (Gypsys voice is spot on). I personally am happy to see Robb in this production, since she lay low with her acting career for a while. With this part she is back better than ever, and I think she is most gifted to play dramatic roles.
39 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad story, but it needs to get told!
emoshca21 March 2019
Great acting really gets this story told from Gypsys point of view. Loving Joey King and Patricia Arquette really brings it to life!
66 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True to the events with near flawless acting
amccallister-1850211 April 2019
I went into the series not knowing anything about the story and was completely blown away with how intensely everything was done. After watching a few episodes, I tracked down the documentary and read up on what really happened. Seeing the truth and then going back to the series made me realize how wonderfully this series is done. The acting is near flawless and the story seems to be done as true to the events as possible. Obviously, with historical shows, there will be some creative license; but it does seem like the writers took great care to keep it as realistic as possible. I encourage you to familiarize yourself with the story and make up your own mind about the case. I have some very strong opinions, but I want you to go in with a clear head. Whatever your conclusion, I guarantee this series will make you think and leave you with some strong emotions. It's hard to watch, but the story definitely needed to be told.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Acting
laurenelizabethsmith25 March 2019
A pretty good show repainting a beautiful, twisted new perspective on a story I'm fairly familiar with and have followed. The acting is all great, but if you've seen much of the real gypsy rose, it's clear how astonishing Joey King is in this role. Amazing to watch.
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joey King was AMAZING!
sanjapetrovski199514 April 2019
I have watched both the original HBO documentary about this case and this show and the greatest impression is without a doubt the way Joey King portrayed Gypsy Rose! Amazing and so convincing, well done!
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
ridwanyoung21 March 2019
This is a must watch series. Brilliant acting, story, and editing. Go watch it
55 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With dramatic license, still pretty true to facts, so far
mjmcmullen-894933 April 2019
I have watched the first four episodes of this series, after knowing the back story quite well. I understand they are taking some dramatic license, but I am finding this to be an interesting telling of the strange relationship between Gypsy and DeeDee and what brought their story to its awful conclusion. Patricia and Joey are great in their roles. For those who have criticized Joey's acting...please watch videos of the real Gypsy Rose. The voice is spot on. The glasses, the wigs and outfits, are all in line with reality. For people who do not know the story, watch any documentary, to learn more about Munchausen by Proxy. I just feel badly for DeeDee wanting to keep Gypsy pretty much an eternal child. I look forward to see how the series plays it out. Also, I know some do not like that not all episodes dropped at once, but I am a patient person who does not mind the wait.
38 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
mirandashirks28 April 2019
Let's just say I follow this case ever since the HBO documentary Mommy Dearest and Joey King and Patricia Arquette did an amazing job portraying the characters all the way down to the voices they really have done their homework. This is why i gave them a 10 because I felt like they have done an amazing job telling this extremely sad and crazy true story.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Gripping watch.
teknixjack24 March 2019
Patricia Arquett's performance in this is brilliant.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see
arnoldjohnny22 March 2019
3 out of 10 stars? Clearly poor taste when it comes to this series..beautifully filmed and based on true, heart breaking events..recommend watching the documentary, will give u a whole new perspective on the series.
49 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy ass story
cork91923 March 2019
I've heard this story before but watching it actually unfold makes it so much crazier and real how much that poor girl was tortured. Very good watch!
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing phenomenal show/story
UniqueParticle5 June 2019
Outstanding series all around and hope it gets nominated in the Emmys within the year! Joey King is a great actress, so is Patricia Arquette it's no wonder she won for her role in Escape at Dannemora. I've been taken advantage of before many times because I have Asperger's Syndrome but nothing to the extent of Gypsy. The show is riveting to watch; I didn't know much about Munchausen by proxy except for being mentioned on House M.D. so this was very intriguing and fascinating!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbingly twisted on a whole new level!! A masterpiece
virematthew27 March 2019
Patricia NEVER disappoints!! I remember when I watched the HBO documentary about Gypsy and I was shaken to the core. Just as a note for those who think Joey's acting is terrible you need to go watch the documentaries and other videos of Gypsy because that's really how she talked and acted. Pleased that they added some new story elements or it would've just been a re-enactment documentary but for the sake of being a tv show adding fictional elements was smart. Patricia gives a chilling performance for the ages that could challenge shows like GOT and Handmaid's Tale when award season rolls around. And don't count out Joey yet either. As of right now the show is only 3 episodes in but I'm so hooked and if you haven't seen the very end of episode 3.....just wait. It left me shaking and thirsty for more. It's a Hulu masterpiece.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joey is one hell of an actress
jashnakapadia-9098817 January 2021
Oh my god. This is such a heart breaking story. Each of the cast members have delivered the work beautifully. Its a masterpiece worth watching . Joey king is one hell of an actress. That kid has range
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
King & Arquette amazing duo
melaniestmn23 April 2019
These two nailed it! They couldnt have chosen anyone better to play these roles. The story line is perfect, the acting is phenomenal! Such a emotional true story. The fact that this poor girl was forced to live this life is too much to imagine. In her shoes, I cant imagine doing anything different (aside from the whole murder side :p ) but damn, how far do you push someone an push before they snap. Gypsy finally snapped.. crazy, amazing show! Good job, props to the writers an eveyone involved.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mental illness and intergenerational child abuse
tm-sheehan2 August 2019
My Review: The Act , Dee Dee and Gypsy Rose. Rating 9/10

On Foxtel-

If I said to you it's about time a film or series was made about the condition Munchausen by Proxy you'd think I was mad ! but I'm glad I'm aware of this disturbing mental condition after watching the entire series of the Act very accurately based on true characters and incidents,I checked the Fact checker.

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is a mental illness and a form of child abuse. The caretaker of a child, most often a mother, either makes up fake symptoms or causes real symptoms to make it look like the child is sick.Sep 5, 2017

The Act portrays a fascinating and bizarre insight into Generational Child Abuse and mental illness and it's consequences resulting from Dee Dee's Blanchard's own Mother then being transferred to Dee Dee's own daughter Gypsy Rose Blanchard.

I waited till the series end to review this because at the beginning I thought the story may be a Mother Daughter version of the Grand Guignol classic " Whatever Ever Happened to Baby Jane" but the Act is much more serious and bizarre than Baby Jane .

Usually glamorous Patricia Arquette is mesmerising as the overweight , unattractive , mentally ill mother , who through her perception of maternal love virtually imprisons her daughter Gypsy and convincing her from birth that she is very ill . She confines her to a wheel chair and feeds her through a stomach tube . Of course this also gives Dee Dee and Gypsy an income through welfare support and some fame for their apparent bravery and inspiration to other handicapped families.

Joey King plays Gypsy Blanchard brilliantly , at first her baby voice annoyed me until I read that the actress was actually trying to replicate the true characters voice ,which was not at all like her own, this is true acting skill. Gypsy's character is fascinating, she's like a Disney doll Princess longing for her handsome Prince, who eventually appears as the incredibly disturbed Nick Godejohn , a multi personality sick teen also superbly acted by Canadian Callum Worthy. Gypsy is incredibly complex caught up in fantasy one minute but when she realises the damage she has endured through her mothers smothering and lies, even her real age had been hidden from her she retaliates in the only real hope of escape her child/ adult mind can conjure up.

Mention must be made of Chloe Sevigny as the neighbour Mel (remember her from Big Love, the Mormon family Saga) Chloe is terrific as the suspicious Mum across the road who first spots proof of Dee Dee's dishonest and fraudulent behaviour.

No spoilers for the main plot which develops as the actual real life story occurred . You get the drift in Episode One La Maison du Bon Reve but let's say that two mental cripples don't dance a very attractive Bridal Waltz .

A not to be missed series.
RIVETING, AMAZING ACTING, CRAZY STORY
ad-4289625 April 2019
Hands Down the best acting from Joey King I've seen from a lead this year. It was slow but well worth it, the show is an amazing introspective to parental abuse and the ramifications of going against the golden rule.
Stellar performances!
Violent_Delight280411 April 2019
I'm amazed by Patricia Arquette in this show. She was born to play the role of Dee Dee Blanchard. Fantastic series!
A truely brilliant show
Xaliven25 March 2019
I had chills watching the first episode and the acting is just amazing. I'm not really the type of person who would review a show or anything but I really want this show to do well and that's why I recommend it to anyone who's interested in the story even a little.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Dramatic, loosely based on the truth!
khyandi25 April 2019
Gypsy was abused much more violently then in the show. She had no room to be openly defiant as depicted. The mother was strong as an ox not some frail diabetic. I don't understand the production choices and what the purpose was. The mother was awful in real life.
39 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating
fccs235212 May 2019
God this is such an awful, heartbreaking story, it makes you feel bad to love this series. I watched the HBO doc with the real Gypsy right after I finished the last episode and was even more impressed with Joey King's performance. She is literally pitch perfect but it never veers into carciature, it's a very sincere and moving performance. Patricia Arquette is excellent as usual. I would love to see a series that centres on DeeDee's life. I really hope Gypsy Blancharde finds peace and happiness in her life, I think we are all rooting for her.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What I saw was good.
kgmm-4314223 March 2019
Hulu not getting that people aren't interested in weekly episodes. That's the advantage of streaming, you watch at your own pace.
50 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
virginiaibarra28 March 2019
Wow! Very captivating. I'm already waiting for next week for the next episode.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.