Spenser Confidential (2020) Poster

I liked it
heulnicht6 March 2020
Typical Mark Wahlberg flick with likeable actors. Nothing new, still entertaining. I don't get why some people have to analyse this kind of movies to death just because it's not Oscar material.
222 out of 267 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GOOD P.I. MOVIE!
clarkishome6 March 2020
I was a fan of the original Spencer for hire series on TV. Seeing that Mark Wahlberg was raised in the Boston area this is a just right fit for him. Having grown up in many different cities, including the Boston area , this movie brings a lot of memories back. Wahlberg brings his unique sarcasm, wit and physical presence to the role. Although it is somewhat different than the series, it is a good PI movie that you will enjoy. The thing that people have to remember is that you have to judge movies based on categories. This will never win an Academy award, but I would not compare it to titanic or pretty woman because that's not the type of movie it is. This is an action, comedy, and some what of a mystery. If you're looking for a good action movie with unique personalities and some comedy thrown in, this is your movie, enjoy.
103 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it! Enjoyed it! People are just so hard to please these days
adamei7 March 2020
Don't listen to the "critics". We enjoyed the movie from start to finish. Why can't people just sit back, enjoy and not overanalyze a movie? Sure, we've seen it before but we know all the stories of the comics and Marvel and superheroes and Disney and we still watch it right lol
239 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, Exciting, and Funny
ripcords15 March 2020
Mark Wahlberg has a field day with this role. The director allows his natural sense of humor to shine in the Spenser character. Wahlberg has always been able to be believable as the Everyman because of that dry wit and sense of innocence. He doesn't ply the smartest or not technologically brilliant detective here. Just common sense and street smarts get him through. He deadpans many a look and gets laughs in this (not very Spencer-ish) Spencer.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining 😃
pia-ellefsen22 March 2020
I love a good action movie! I like Wahlberg, I know what to expect if I see his name. Take it for what it is, a action/entertaining movie. And stop bit**'in about it's this and that! It's entertainment 😃
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Action Movie!
RobScott-136 March 2020
To all the people who rate this a 1-3...what did you expect? Seriously? Were you expecting "The Godfather?" You have to rate these movies based on what they were going for & the genre, not compared to the best movies of all-time. What were you expecting from a Mark Wahlberg action/comedy? It was EXACTLY what I was expecting! There are two different people who rate these kind of movies a 1-3...1) The kind of person who hates everything & who's life is so miserable they are negative all the time on the Internet & social media. I guarantee if you look at their reviews for other movies/shows, 95% of them will be rated a 1-3 bc they hate everything! 2) The next group that rates so low are bots from competing streaming services of Netflix, you can tell which ones those are bc they rate EVERYTHING Netflix does like a 1 or 2 and say things like "Netflix can't make a good movie/tv show" or "another Netflix bomb" even though Netflix has had more Oscar, Emmy, Golden Globe, etc award nominations than any other company on the planet! Bottom line, is this an Oscar movie? Of course not, but it is what anyone with a brain would expect from a Wahlberg action movie! Just turn your mind off & enjoy it for what it is!
141 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Spenser the Vigilante
TwistedContent6 March 2020
Netflix makes a bunch of great stuff, often hits and misses, but in the niche of action/blockbuster movies, Netflix has a real knack for landing in the average and underwhelming section. "Bright" and "6 Underground" are spot-on examples & now "Spenser Confidential" has joined the bowl of expensive but mediocre action flicks.

"Spenser Confidential" is Peter Berg's fifth movie in a row (!!!) starring Mark Wahlberg, and the last two were a downgrade for both. Spenser (Mark Wahlberg), an honest, hard-headed ex-cop with a strong moral compass gets out of prison, reconnects with his mentor Henry (Alan Arkin) and his new roommate Hawk (Winston Duke), a no-nonsense MMA fighter with heart. Spenser got in prison for trying out some vigilante justice & that is exactly what he's going to do for the entirety of the movie, just now with his new friend Hawk. The story is as old as the world and nor Peter Berg nor the screenwriter Brian Helgeland (who really can do better than this) has done anything much to spice it up. "Spenser Confidential" has comedy, action, sentimentalism and all the basic, vital ingredients, none of which rise above the level of average. It's kinda like the movie's sort of 'muted', like softened up, watered down, muddled, call it what You want. You've seen and felt all of this before, probably a load of times. So, looking for silver linings, the cast (mostly) provides decent performances, some jokes land and some action parts are well done and edited. The pacing could've been worse. Visually, it's pretty standard, not confusing or amateur, just standard. One would say, meaning me, that the R rating hasn't been utilized much at all, apart from some swearing, one or two machete cuts and a clothed sex scene. Mehh.

"Spenser Confidential" is a lukewarm blockbuster, a lackluster cop/vigilante/p.i. action flick, an expensive movie made by big names and starring good names and that's about it. It's a light-hearted adventure, an easy Sunday watch, but the kind you're not very likely to remember. My rating: 6/10.
86 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good flick
mandorallen-the-lion6 March 2020
If you're taking this more seriously than that you weren't paying attention. There's not a moment in this movie where they submitted any requests for you to think higher of this than a fun flick. Try judging it on that.

It was fun. For fans of die hard and such. Was it dark and depressing like many crime drama's? no. Was it stupid like most comedy crime dramas? no. Was it boring like most everything else? no.

Fun characters, with great people acting them, obviously. Alan arkin for god's sake. (but she stole the cake if we're honest) Plot was never slow. Setting is always engaging. Boston is just fun . . .
106 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know where it's going, but it stil is entertaining...
Reem7506186 March 2020
If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie. There's nothing new in the storyline and it has all been done, but if you like this kind of movie you'll have a great time. I liked the humor in it and the characters are likeable too. I'll gladly watch it again in a few months or so.
67 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show, perfect fit with the cast.
srmacpherson7 March 2020
2 minutes in I was enjoying myself. 20 minutes in I was hooked, and enjoying this movie completely. I found it a fun ride. The light humour was good also. Drama and action, with just a bit of laughs sprinkled in. Like being in the army overseas 😄
77 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like I've seen this movie 100 times before
benxrichardson8 March 2020
It was a below average film, no great action scenes, no great dialogue and an incredibly unoriginal story line. The whole thing just felt lazy.

The movie is watchable and it presumably achieved what it set out to achieve by being a run of the mill, forgettable film.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazy Script; Impertinent to Source Material
barryjohnjohnson7 March 2020
Starts out fine but gets sloppy with storyline & degree of credibility with proven source material.They could have stuck with a dark & gritty movie but instead went cartoonish. You are feeling like: That could have been so much better vs a quick paycheck for Marky Mark & company. The cast was great but then again, could have been better with a tighter script & steady feel.
61 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
action packed surprise filled fun
christiancarden6 March 2020
The perfect combination of action and comedy, drama and suspense, thrills and mystery, i loved this movie! i expected the same old bad try and got an instant classic. I WANT MORE!!!!
64 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very ordinary...
ceedee688 March 2020
Bad script.... Terrible directing... Dodgy story splicing... Awful comedy delivery... Is this the start of Marky Mark's decline... The 4 stars are too generous I know... A big fat raspberry.
56 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lukewarm Spenser for Hire reboot
barcham_996 March 2020
Anyone old enough or familiar with the Spenser for Hire television show of the 80s will have trouble watching more than 10 minutes of this poor rehash of the concept. Robert Urich and Avery Brooks had more class in their discarded fingernail clippings than these guys have in their entire bodies. Avery as Hawk was an incredible character with unmatched class, and he exuded POWER from every pore. His character was spun off into his own series, A Man Called Hawk. Brooks was so identified with this character that his Deep Space Nine's Capt. Sisko was quickly turned into Hawk from the lacklustre original character he portrayed.

Urich was the perfect Spenser, intelligent, well-read and a great cook among other qualities. If it seems that this is more a review of the TV series than the movie, well I guess that is because people would be better off watching the TV series than yet another tepid big screen rehash of a loved series that should have been left alone. Hollywood seems to be totally bereft of new ideas, and this is one more time they have gone back to the television troth to find something. For some reason, they have yet to learn their lesson as not one TV show rehash has been successful to date. Not one conversion to film has been able to capture the original spirit of the television show and this is just one more failure.
73 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spenser in name only
jerry_hawkins716 March 2020
This is a weak action comedy that steals the names of established characters in order to try to draw an audience from fans of the books and/or show. There is NOTHING other than the character names and Boston that is from the books. These characters are not Spenser, Hawk and Harry. They are generic buddy comedy characters with the names from the novels pasted onto them. Whoever wrote this script appears to have never done more than glance at the cover of a Spenser novel nor even watched a single episode of the show.
90 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Dumb...
corteverett7 March 2020
If I were a 7 year old boy in the early 90's I would've loved this movie, but unfortunately it just came across as lazy and dumb for an adult in 2020, but hey no one cares about the movie I never wrote or wasted anyone's time with. The recipe for this Netflix flop was 1 Mark Wahl-whal-whalberg, 1 very large black guy for muscle, 1 old deaf guy for comic relief, 1 loudmouth Boston chick for I don't know what, a whole lot of f-bombs to supplement the awful writing, a bunch of basic violence, and a very generic plot...mix em all together and you have a movie that u can't quote one line from and will forget 5 minutes after it's over. Thank tho, that's time I could've spent writing an entire movie of the same caliber after cooking a chocolate soufflé. If u didn't get the Whal-whal-whalberg crack then u need to get ur life n start listening to Your Mom's House podcast. Keep em high n tight jeans!
59 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good
osamaa-796-1775757 March 2020
This is like an action movie that ran away from the 90s.
36 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd watch this as a serial
rebekahwright320 March 2020
Perfect casting. Hilarious. I think they definitely set it up where he becomes a serial investigator. I'd watch it.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming
lindalou-144317 March 2020
Simplistic. Suspended belief is necessary as "real life" is not represented here. Archetypical characters with no depth. Action, muscles, guns, cool vehicles...meh.
30 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Action Movie
jester-405646 March 2020
Sure this movie doesn't break any new ground, but its a fun & entertaining action movie.

The plot is basic. Try and get to the bottom of a police cover up. They throw in a twist or two to make it interesting (that you'll probably see coming), but it doesn't take away from the enjoyment. Wahlberg & Duke have a great chemistry together, both have some funny moments, and along with Arkin, its what sells the movie and will keep you watching.

The choreography in the fight scenes is also good. It looks very raw and authentic. The bathroom & restaurant brawls are the standouts. The only negative is that the fights scenes throughout the first hour or so are all very quick. All are under 2 minutes, and feel like they could (and should) have gone on longer.

Overall, I'd recommend giving it a watch
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A jumble of familiar tropes
ginocox-206-3369689 March 2020
Spenser Confidential (2020) is a jumble of familiar tropes with the look and feel of a made-for-television production.

Chekhov wrote that if a character hangs a gun over the mantle in the first scene, that the gun must be fired by the conclusion of the play. The act gives the object significance in the mind of the audience. Spenser Confidential hangs Chekhov's guns all over the place, but doesn't get around to firing many of them. Two central characters devote considerable time and discourse to career goals that are never realized, although they use related skills. A character is seriously wounded on multiple occasions, but seems unaffected. An unofficial private investigator accesses surveillance video, but the police never seem to bother.

Like many contemporary films, the movie strives for political correctitude, often neglecting plot and character development to devote attention to social issues. An act of domestic violence is shown multiple times in flashback scenes, but seems extraneous to the plot. The cast is culturally diverse to a fault. The female love interests are maternal, age appropriate, and always fully dressed, even during a sex scene.

Yet the filmmakers seem ambivalent about liberal narratives. The villains are generally Hispanic or black, with the exception of some Aryan types who are pussycats by comparison. The protagonists employ enhanced interrogation techniques and sexual victimization to extort confessions. An investigative journalist is a staunch defenders of the truth, while television journalists mindlessly parrot false accusations. A dog lover is attacked by a vicious dog.

The plot is paper-thin, with reversals announced well in advance. The only surprises come when characters behave in ways that make little sense. The denouement sets up a possible sequel, although it's difficult to imagine anybody wanting to watch it, after viewing this film.
28 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parker is Rolling Over in His Grave
agafiend8 March 2020
What a shambles. If you're looking for the beloved characters from Robert B Parker's books don't bother. The only things this has in common with the books is the names of protagonists (Spenser and Hawk) and the location (Boston). these characters are the worst of the low-rent characters that populate cheesy, low-budget action films. Gone is the literate, well-spoken Spenser with his love of fine food and lovely psychologist lady-friend. Gone is elegant, sharp-dressed, intelligent Hawk with his wicked sense of humor and equally wicked gun. I can't believe Parker's estate OK'ed this travesty. It's a waste of time.
36 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch something else
Carllebault6 March 2020
For some reason all the actors and talking under their breath. Plot absolutely sucks and it's definitely a movie that you'll think afterwards HOW ON EARTH was this made. Great cast just a movie that should never have been made.
52 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh!!
tman-212898 March 2020
Wahlberg and Arkin are good, but there was no way to save this movie as it was written very poorly. This is supposed to be "Spenser for Hire." And it never comes close.
28 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.