Last Christmas (2019) Poster

Why doesnt this have a higher rating?!
tomboysaid8 November 2019
I was almost not going to see this movie because of the rating! I'm so glad I decided to give it a go because I would've regretted it. This movie is great and I dont even like Christmas romance comedies! It wasnt overly sappy and filled with sex scenes like the regular theater movies and even with people spoiling the "plot twist" it was still well worth the watch! The storyline is very simple but nothing wrong with a little simplicity. Not all movies should be unpredictable. Predictable doesn't mean unsatisfying. I find the more UNpredictable the movie, the less satisfying because who wants to watch a whole bunch of random scenarios happen in one movie? Not this girl. That would be wAY too much.
336 out of 445 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected surprise of a film
timbosssss9 November 2019
Saw this last night with my wife, who needed some cheering up after a tough week. This wouldn't have been my pick, but once I saw the cast and the Christmas vibe I thought 'why not?'

Another draw was that Paul Feig directed it. Who doesn't love Bridesmaids?!

It follows a down and out type character played by Emilia Clarke, who plays it pretty much to perfection. I'm not that familiar with her, but she really bears her soul here.

The film balances comedy and drama skillfully, I won't go into too much detail, but the audience here in Australia was laughing out loud throughout and my wife and I had tears by the end.

This is what I go to the movies for.

The good:
  • script is funny and touching where it needs to be
  • cinematography
  • music by George Michael - really flows well with the visuals
  • the pacing

Not so good:
  • a few moments are a bit cliche
  • some characters are a bit one dimensional
  • political correctness in some scenes

My advice would be to leave your cynicism at the door for this one, I am recommending my family and friends to watch it for sure!
186 out of 252 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christmas "heartfull" film
jwftoestand8 November 2019
Surprisingly good was expecting a cheesy rom/com holiday film. But instead the Movie make you look up and appreciate what you have in life 😊
135 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unconditional love
wltanasale17 November 2019
Never mind the bad critics. Go see the movie. A lovable feel good holiday movie. The storyline is not very strong though. These days most movies are about horror, evil, action. Mostly senseless. This film is about unconditional love; a woman who loathes herself, but has her heart on the right place; about being there for one another despite differences, with wit and humor. Also about family. "The real meaning of Christmas is the giving of love everyday." Song by the Ray Conniff Singers in the sixties. That song came to my mind.
81 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
zietalsebastian8 November 2019
Last Christmas... the movie was so so so beautiful.. made me cry ... love hearing George in the cinema. It was like voice of a angel ..very emotional ..
152 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Infused with George Michael's music and Emma Thompson's grand wit, this dramedy has much laughter, tears, and heart
inkblot1117 November 2019
Kate/Katarina (Emilia Clarke) is an immigrant to Britain, with her family, coming after Yugoslavia broke up. Once singing in church, she longs to make it in musical theater. However, life has thrown her off track. Her mother (Emma Thompson) is overbearing, her sister is a successful lawyer with sharp disagreements with Kate, and our Katarina has health problems. So, now, Kate works at a year-round Christmas store, as an elf-saleslady under the direction of store owner, Santa (Michelle Yeoh). Its a living? Well, yes, but Kate has been couch surfing and has no permanent home but her parents house. One day she meets a handsome man on a bicycle, Tom (Henry Golding) who advises her to "look up". Its akin to stop and smelling the roses but Kate wants none of this gooey philosophy, at first. But, on subsequent encounters, Kate begins to notice things she's never seen before and to appreciate the friendship/love Tom has been offering. Can Tom change Kate's life for the good? This lovely new addition to the repertoire of Christmas cinema has a strong foundation in its script by Emma Thompson, a wonderful cast, lovely sets and costumes, and the eternally grand music of George Michael in its soundtrack. Be prepared for laughter and tears, as unexpected happenings keep arriving. But, in short, don't be last in line for Last Christmas!
63 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's not to love?
estrickland-649-5551598 November 2019
With the film industry laden with drugs, war, death, shady politics, doom & gloom, this is a bright little ray of sunshine in a very dark world. It's so nice just to be able to go to the cinema & laugh again. We NEED more joy in our lives. The soundtrack is just phenomenal too, I mean, too much George Michael is never enough! I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Being a George MEGAFAN, no doubt I'll be watching this every year until the end of time. Do you you know what, the thought of that makes me super happy. Just go to the cinema, check your worries at the gate & just enjoy yourself for a bit. It won't disappoint, I promise!
106 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute but...
mcflower9027 January 2020
Yugoslavia in 1999? Did not exist. I am from Serbia and I agree with fellow croatian who said it is very much confusing and why did they escape from Croatia 1999? How strange. Anyway the movie is cute and christmasy so why not enjoy in it.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I Expected!
wilkeyjessica18 November 2019
I love Christmas movies and I love a good feel hood chick flick so I loved this. Emilia Clark and Henry Golding were a great pair. I've read many harsh reviews but I thought it was great.
48 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful movie
RJBrez9 November 2019
Maybe I'm in a cheesy mood. Maybe it's because it's a Christmas movie. I love Emilia Clarke as well. Combine all that, and I loved this movie. I saw it with my parents and fiancé. It made us laugh and look forward to the holidays even more. Ignore any negative reviews. This movie is perfect for what it sets out to do. It reminds you what the holidays are all about.

Enjoy!
75 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feel good Holiday movie
nun1nun9 November 2019
Last Christmas is sweet and sappy and the lead actors are charming. The media reviews have been bad, but this is a great Holiday feel good movie that I really enjoyed, so back off with the cynicism professional reviewers.
76 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missed opportunity - from a fellow Croatian
roberta-koncar13 November 2019
People don't usually expect much from Christmas movies, they are all more or less the same - plenty of Christmas music, nice atmosphere and warm stories. The trailer promised a whole lot of that, but the movie itself did not live up to my expectations, which were quite low to start with. The concept itself is quite okay, Katarina is working towards a better life after going through a heart surgery, but is generally a mess. Who isn't, by the way? This storyline is perfect for a Christmas movie, she meets a man (or more precisely, imagines a man), he helps her, everything is cool. BUT the other storyline, relating to her Croatian roots is a bigger mess than she is. The opening scene, a children's choir in a church in Yugoslavia... well, we all know how plausible that is. I'll tell you anyhow - it is not. Not only because the religion was not "a thing" back then, but also because it says 1999. Yugoslavia was long gone by then. The language they speak throughout the movie is anything but, it was a messy hybrid between Croatian and Russian and Macedonian and I don't even know what other language. Also, if they all come from Croatia, how come her mother's Croatian is so much worse than her father's? The casting was done terribly in that sense. A Balkan actor for the father, but an English actress for the mother? I'll pass. Also, her mother blaming Poles for the situation makes no sense at all, and neither does the fact that they curse at each other at the dinner table. We don't do that. The respect for other family members is a huge thing here, and we would certainly not say those things to our parents just out of the blue. Finally, the choice of George Michael's songs did not fit the story points at all, it all seemed misplaced. In my opinion, it is just not worth watching. Go watch Home Alone for a 1000th time, you'll have more fun at least.
134 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely movie, with some issues
bhckhtui8 November 2019
The first half of the movie was a big smile on the face all along. Emilia Clarke is amazing, cute, beautiful and perfect for this part. Henry Goulding is good too. I didn't like the big twist at first, but after some thinking I think it can work. I'm not completely sure how I feel about it. Lovely movie with a great cast.
72 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really made me smile!
DylanCanonge29 November 2019
I really want to say I liked Last Christmas - Henry Golding is disarmingly charming, the happiness is helping other people message is sweet. This is how a Christmas film should be....you laugh, cry, laugh some more ...with a theatre full of strangers who are doing exactly the same. Not ashamed to say I loved it.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect tribute to George Michael!
rockersrevenge-551-2399868 November 2019
Seldom you watch a movie that makes you cry.... it's truly a heart touching movie!! It's sad that movies with such innocence are not made these days..... all the actors did their best! Would love to watch it again!!
78 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!
npokahontas7 November 2019
A classic Christmas movie with perfect casting beautiful songs and excellent performances by the actors! 10/10
83 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VERY underrated movie. BRILLIANT twist in dedication to George Michael fans!
pwolf-900-52863417 November 2019
Thank you Emma Thompson for producing this very underrated movie. Does it have the quality of Game of Thrones character development and storylines? No. Does it have the same appeal as Crazy Rich Asians? Probably not. But, does it do a great job putting a musician's catalog of songs into a fictional story? ABSOLUTELY!

If you're a George Michael fan, and watch the movie from his song's perspective and get past the romantic comedy category that this film falls under, you'll appreciate what it does to his music. Is there cheese? Sure, but that's part of the charm to get to the twist.

Not knowing the twist is the best way to watch this movie to experience what it is doing in dedication to George Michael.

I would have rated this movie a 10, but they missed out on some of George's songs that they could have included, but for whatever reason, they didn't.

If you got this far in my review and you haven't seen it, and you're a George Michael fan, and you're into the Christmas spirit... Go see it.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Hit: It started off on the silly side, and by the end, I was very touched by this heartfelt story.
michaeldoud10 November 2019

I'd seen the previews for this story and thought, oh, this could be a silly sort of way to spend an hour and a half. However, I'm glad I didn't judge the movie by the preview. It has a beautiful and deeply touching message.

The story begins with watching a young Kate (Madison Ingoldsby as young Kate) being the lead singer in a Yugoslavian church choir. Her mother, Petra (Emma Thompson), Ivan her father (Boris Isakovic), and her sister Marta (young Marta played by Lucy Miller) are in the audience watching. There is a moment in this scene that plays out later with the sister Marta looking at another person in the choir.

Roll into the future, and the twenty-something years old Kate (Emilia Clarke) is living in London as is her whole family. Kate is working at a Christmas store that's open year-round, owned by "Santa" (Michelle Yeoh), who loves Christmas and the magic it brings. Kate is her employee and dresses like an elf. We get that Kate isn't a perfect employee but that Santa likes her for some reason.

Kate rushes out of the store to make singing and acting auditions but is usually late, rarely prepared, and seems to have lost her ability to sing as well. We soon get that Kate's in a rut, which is compounded by her almost always homelessness. She's often shown dragging around her roller suitcase. At times, when she needs a place to sleep, she picks up guys in bars, sleeps with them, but something invariably happens, and she's back on the streets.

Her friends, like Jenna and Rufus (Ritu Arya and Ansu Kabia respectively), give her a room, but within two days, she's messed this up, and they ask her to leave. She tries to reconcile with her family, but her mom is tough, and her father hides from her mom as much as possible. She and her sister Marta (Lydia Leonard) seem to be at each other's throats, and there appears to be no love lost anywhere. The family dynamics are really screwed up.

All during these scenes, we are under the impression that Kate has no common sense, is flighty, and very ungrounded. Some would say unlucky. There is some hint that something happened to Kate about a year ago, but at this stage in the film, we are not privy to that part of the story. Did this event cause this ungrounded flighty nature?

One day Tom (Henry Golding) pops into her life one day and impresses upon her to take a walk with him. She declines, but on the second random meeting, they walk, and you can see his caring and compassion for others, including Kate. The chemistry is strong between them, and he just seems like a wonderfully lovely person who's taken an interest in Kate. She wants to see him again and asks for his mobile number, but he says he doesn't use it, and it's kept in a kitchen cupboard at home, so giving Kate his name would be useless.

On one of the walks, Tom takes her to a homeless shelter. Thinking he's trying to get her to stay there, she discovers; differently, he volunteers his time at the shelter and says she could help as well. But as Tom is prone to do, Tom disappears for days at a time. No one seems to know where he is.

Kate begins to sing outside the shelter, collecting money, hoping that Tom will pop-up again. Alas, he doesn't, but just as she becomes even more despondent Tom shows up again.

One evening she tells him what happen to her a year ago and why she doesn't feel like a whole person anymore. It is genuinely a sweet scene. He tells her that she can change her life by being open to others and by making kinder decisions. She's not a victim and can change her life.

Tom's influence has a positive effect on Kate. She starts to make amends with "Santa," her mom, dad, and sister. She volunteers more at the homeless shelter and is more thoughtful. An example of this is early in the film we see her getting picked up at a bar from some guy using a standard line. Now, we see her in a bar, she gets the same pickup line from another bloke, and she makes a better decision.

A fun secondary story is about "Santa" trying to find companionship dates for herself. One day "Santa" meets "boy" (Peter Mygind), and how they engage with each other is so sweet and funny.

I cannot delve into what happens to Kate that made her feel the way she does, nor how Tom is there to help her see the light, but the story is sweet, and the ending was fun and touching.

Clarke is a hoot and actually inspirational as the film moved along. She did a great job of making this character work. Golding was beautiful as the man who pops into Kate's life to provide hope and inspiration. Yeoh is hilarious as the Christmas store owner who can see Kate's sweet side. Mygind was excellent as "boy," the man who brought joy to "Santa's" life. Arya and Kabia are fantastic as Kate's friends, who keep supporting and allowing her to get better. Thompson was oddly funny and entertaining in her role as Kate's mother. Isakovic was terrific as the browbeaten husband of Petra and Kate's father. Leonard was harsh in her role as Kate's sister, with whom there were a lot of animosities. I didn't think this part of the film was developed enough, and their conversations felt too jarring at times. Thompson and Bryony Kimmings wrote this screenplay that didn't telegraph the ending, and that was a good thing. Paul Feig got the feel of this story right.

Overall: After the end credits, I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this film.
37 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emilia is great!
rmckim-0704917 November 2019
Good rom-com!

Her smile and energy are fantastic. It was a bit early for a Christmas movie for me but it didn't seem to matter.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart.
alvintalavera18 November 2019
Better than I expect it to be, this is one really heartwarming film. Not your typical rom-com or holiday film. The story is a 10/10 for me. Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding really shines in this, also Michelle Yeoh and Emma Thompson. The movie also has a lot of lessons in it.
31 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet holiday movie
ilovefoodcoma9 November 2019
What a sweet holiday movie! I like the little twist in the movie. I also love the message in the movie... helping each other.
44 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful Rom-Com
glennnicholson5 December 2019
A beautiful film. It's not trying to be anything mind blowing but it has laughs a tears, perfect for this time of year.

Highly recommended.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird, depressing, offensive
anardev218 December 2019
Not a feel-good Christmas movies for sure. The main female lead played by Emilia Clarke is unlikeable, the "exYU" sterotypes are somehow both completely inaccurate and offensive with misfires that could have been prevented with a two second Google check. Clearly the producers just couldn't be arsed. Shame Emma Thompson was dragged into this. On the plus side, the male lead was very sweet.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like this movie more.
foreveramom15 November 2019
I love Christmas movies!! I love happy endings!! I love love! That being said ...I thought that ending was sad. I wanted more. Sure she matured at the end... The twist was a downer. And why the political message? There was no need for it!!!
31 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad
laurabirin-5645913 November 2019
Anyone who says this movie is good (or even worse, great) knows nothing about (good) movies and history (Yugoslavia in 1999? really?? war started in '91.. you cannot even tell if family is Serbian, Croatian or Bosnian..guess it doesnt matter anyway cause actors speak "russian english" nor do people know where Croatia is (but you love Game of thrones, i bet!). I feel like Wikipedia would have done better job writing the screenplay. I wouldnt usually care, (because this was never ment to be new "Godfather" movie) but Kate makes a pretty big deal about being foreign and i cannot believe they didnt back checked everything. (Whats with all political Brexity stuff??) I hate myself for spending time and money on this..
102 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.