The Hoard (2018) Poster

(2018)

Perfectly mimicking reality tv... maybe too closely
shaneloveszombies17 May 2019
All credit to the cast and crew they put their all into it.... It feels like one long introduction to maybe something... a bit like the shows it's a parody of. However just like the shows it's taking the pxss out of it never succeeds in creating the pay off that the everlasting build up sort of promises..... Maybe seek out the classic scam tv event from uk Ghostwatch... I want to say great things about this movie because it's so close to nailing it.... so I will finish with ambiguity.... see for yourselves.... temper your expectations
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Half Way Through and So Far It's Hilarious
edb510816 May 2019
Well made b-movie with excellent writing. No I do not have any ties to anyone in this movie or its production studio.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another winning ensemble comedy from Jesse Thomas Cook!
Sankari_Suomi18 May 2019
When controversial director Jesse Thomas Cook said he was planning a movie about a pensioner who hoarded junk in multiple houses, critics were quick to respond that it would crash and burn. Skepticism remained high, even after Cook pointed out that he had hired Tony Burgess to write it.

Then Cook brought Matt Wiele on board as co-director, and suddenly people were paying attention.

The cast is solid: Lisa Solberg, Ry Barrett, Elma Begovic, Marcus Ludlow, Justin Darmanin and of course the wildly popular cult favourite, Barry More. Even Tony Burgess gets a cameo of his own.

Set in Rockford, Ontario but filmed primarily in Owen Sound because of the Muslims, this edgy mockumentary punches far above its weight. In November 2018, Brad Miska described The Hoard as 'the film', and 'premiering this month.' It's hard to disagree.

Let's get two things out of the way first: yes, the The Hoard is indie, and the budget was small (Cook still refuses to release details) so I kept my expectations low. But I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The plot is a great horror/comedy mashup with a lot more wit than I expected, and a couple of basic twists that add to the flavour. Performances are enthusiastic and satisfying. Cinematography is on point. Colour pallette is challenging, but not overwrought. Humour is dark and sharp (as it should be) with just a tiny drop of easily forgivable slapstick.

I rate The Hoard at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a highly engaging 7/10 on IMDB.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.