Obi-Wan Kenobi (TV Mini Series 2022) Poster

2,181 Reviews
Acting can't save bad writing
ercfunk-445-95004625 June 2022
New Star Wars with Disney seems to have the same problem, again and again: bad writing. With the exception of Jon and Dave's work, new Star Wars is getting worse with their writing. It doesn't matter how well the actors do their roles when they're poorly written, there's no saving it. Either get a team that knows how to write or just stop.
391 out of 451 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't look like they even tried!
Ashitaka13711 July 2022
The Mandalorian was a very pleasant surprise, and that stopped there. Sad to see that after a great animated The Clone Wars Star Wars show and much hope after The Mandalorian show, this is where Star Wars is at.
120 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What? Why? Who the hell...
themadcamel8 July 2022
What kinda person grows up watching Star Wars, understanding the legend this guy was supposed to be, and with all of today's advances in filmmaking, writes this?

I mean it was like watching Michael Jordon trip over his shoelaces in front of the hoop.

Watching Picasso draw a stick man.

Jonah Lomu drop the ball.

Beethoven play chopsticks.....

I can't help but feel the goal here was to make it bad... gathered a team of experts, and nailed that goal in the best way possible.
164 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colossal letdown
jaydogva25 June 2022
What a colossal letdown. I'd rather have an Obi Wan film trilogy in the same vein as Rogue One or Solo than this cheesy poorly written fluff of a tv show.
302 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything Disney touches falls apart
web-534-39383024 June 2022
Generations of meticulously crafted storytelling down the drain through bad taste, mediocre production and neurotic script.

Does Disney do it in purpose?
458 out of 572 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some good visuals that's it
jaycop25 June 2022
It's shocking that a multibillion dollar franshise can produce such utter crap! The acting is laughable & the writing isn't much better. I'm just a total loss, I really am.. I admittedly only watched 2 episodes because I couldn't stand watching anymore than that. Disney is just cashing in and they couldn't careless what a garbage product this is.. side note: remember when Star Wars villains were iconic; now they're just some terrible actress who is cringeworthy when attempting to be "badass"...
150 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless and Massively Contrived
fraser-simons23 July 2022
Some fun scenes that fill in information from other movies, but at the expense of massive contrivances. I didn't buy the inquisitors storyline at all. All the major tension is gone because we know the outcomes of each character. It felt a bit pointless. Has good production values. The child actor is not great either. More annoying than anything. And the way this plays with time is wild. Leia is really up in that that fuse box for an entire battle looking for the correct one? Inquisitor recovers from a mortal wound in like ten seconds? And then goes and attacks someone... for seemingly no reason? I don't think so lol.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10 out of 10 for Ewan.
lawrencelawrence8629 June 2022
The plot is weak, the actors are weak, the directing is weak, the extras are weak, the words are weak. What's the point of it. This should have been a little 2 hour film with no fat attached to it. Could have been brilliant.
159 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Company With Over 100 Billion Dollars In Net Worth Made This
MamadNobari9722 June 2022
You can find better Star Wars content made by fans on Youtube than on Disney Plus.

Where do I even begin? I want to keep this short and talk about the main points because I've talked extensively in my episode reviews.

First of all, we all know the worst offender, the incompetent people posing themselves as "writers" that somehow Disney has hired. I cannot fathom how you can have a billion-dollar franchise in your hand and decide to find the most incompetent people to make shows of it for you.

Like it's not only the plot (there is no plot) and the writing is bad, everything else, from the direction and cinematography to fight choreography and even the music is below mediocre.

Everything looks bland in this show and the cinematography and the editing are just plain awful. It's like the director gave her 5-year-old daughter an iphone and told her to film them.

They have literally millions of species and thousands of planets, and they can even come up with whatever new planet they want, but what do they choose every time for their shows? Desert planets! Very creative and innovative guys! I really like seeing Tatooine and 10 more desert planets for the thousandth time! They're really visually stunning to look at... all those sands!

We have actual grown adults that are outrun by a 5-year-old-looking 10-year-old. Not once, but twice in 2 episodes! Actual execs and showrunners approved those chase scenes!

We have a grown adult woman, that is the focus of this show, acting like a child throwing temper tantrums, and making some baffling choices. And they give her like a 20-second flashback with exposition and they really think that's how you create a compelling character and give them characterization. It's laughable.

We have these cool Inquisitors that literally do nothing in this show and it's so effing disappointing. Just go play Jedi: Fallen Order and you'll get a better story with better characters, better acting, and way better visuals. Second Sister > Third Sister.

People kept saying Moses Ingram's acting is good and only the writing of her character is bad, but even after watching episode 6, I am not impressed with her acting and I think she doesn't do a good job here at all. No hate toward the actress obviously, but her acting is bad here.

The fight choreography is just bad. It gets a little better in the last 2 episodes but the horribly awful cinematography and editing made them way worse.

They made Obi-Wan and Vader into idiots.

People apparently can survive Lightsaber going through their body, twice! Should've shown Qui-Gon's reaction to that!

The entire plot - if you can call it that - is "we want this person. Oh, we have him? Never mind we let them run away, but I put a tracker on them! I'll get them this time! Oh, I got them again? Well, time for me to go and let you live and run away. Why do they keep running away, I don't understand! I put another tracker on them!"

The cinematography plus production is so bland and boring that makes this looks like a fan-made show, but fan-made stuff are shot and edited better than this.

They brought back John Williams to score this, but the music somehow is the most generic and forgettable thing I've heard and after 6 episodes, I still have no idea what the theme of this show is.

I think most of the good and high ratings are just because of the nostalgia baiting. They just see old faces and beloved characters and memes again, and they think it's the best thing ever.

Character motivation in this show is just baffling, especially with Darth Vader and Reva.

They could've used more clichés and copied other stuff and they would've made an actual competent plot, but they somehow went even lower than that, so I commend the writer for earning this achievement of actually being worse than a writer that only copies clichés and tropes. Bravo.

Anyway, I could go all day ripping apart this show, but I realize I should stop wasting my time on this show and forget and move on. If you don't watch it, you won't miss much, just go watch the "epic rematch" on youtube I guess, it's better than wasting 4 hours watching the whole thing.
310 out of 431 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The writing and directing is so bad!!
MovieCriticOnline4 June 2022
The writing and directing is so bad!! It is literally so cringe worthy. Very little feels like Star Wars, but then again, the magic was gone decades ago.

Again, it's like they never watched the original Star Wars films. They basically made Obi-Wan Luke Skywalker in the recent SW films, a recluse that has given up hope.

There are hours worth of plot holes, broken canon rules, severe character flaws. The female villain was so annoyingly horrible to watch. She wasn't scary in the slightly. All the villains were ridiculous.. Yelling and forcing their anger. That's not what made Darth Vader, Bob Fett, Jabba menacing. They were all cool and calm. This is why the direction was just bad, but the even worse writing didn't help this mess.

And why did they make such a big deal out of the light saber. "Go and bury it"? What? He could have just dropped it anywhere. There are SOOO many plot holes.

And the kids playing Luke and Leia were awful. And Benny Safdie was miscast. Another embarrassing attempt to make Star Wars magic.
954 out of 1,394 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soap opera
jernej-fuerst28 June 2022
This in one terrible story. Nothing new, significant is added in a Star wars saga, nothing remotely interesting. Some minor insight into Darth Vader, but other than that, the whole concept is flawed. All situations are absolutely bizzare. Every complication, all escapes, everything. Totally disappointing.
151 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney, yet again ruining Star Wars
n-middleton-11723 July 2022
Disney has already made clear its intent to squeeze every dollar out of the franchise possible, including trying to captivate a younger audience. However, Kenobi is a series that would appeal most to past generations who grew up with the prequels, where we first saw a young Ewan McGregor in the role. But, instead of writing to cater to a mature audience, Disney tries to draw in a new, young audience, with some lazy, incongruous, writing.

There are countless scenes that are not only cringe-worthy in the moment, like some of the scarcely believable chance scenes, but there are also plot holes that break the established laws of this fictional universe. The story jumps around inexplicably, leaving so many holes it's tragic.

The worst part is that a series like this could have really deepened the story and the characters, but we were left with such superficial, cliched, nonsense. Furthermore, some of the characters that could and should have been quite epic, were instead, among the worst characters to ever be introduced into the Star Wars franchise. Third Sister, Riva horrendous and her story arc among the clearest of examples of Disney just not caring at all for continuity.

Bitterly disappointing!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really disappointed
damorejj18 June 2022
I waned to see Obi Wan Kenobi. Not Third Sister. This series seems to be about this annoying character more so than what it should be about. Really disappointed in this.
391 out of 587 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheaply made, badly written, laughable effort
kuner-5902931 May 2022
With the stars of the original movies signed on, I dared to hope this would be at least slightly better than the previous Star Wars series. But it is foolish to expect Disney to be anything but a content factory, milking nostalgia and real artists' ideas until there is no interest anymore at all.

Much has been said about the acting, particularly about Moses Ingram. Her overacting is ridiculous and cringe inducing, and almost farcical in how much it stands out from everyone else except for Ewan McGregor and Joel Edgarton. However, we don't know how much of this is her fault or the director's or the studio's. With all the other bad acting on display, I tend to think either the director isn't discerning enough, or - more likely - the studio didn't have the patience and budget to reshoot until they got a good take. This is a series after all, not a movie, so the budget is far less, and it shows here. There are a lot of cut corners. The CGI isn't quite as bad as with the Mandalorian or Boba Fett and as usual the CGI establishing shots look good, but the sets are all cheaply made and the blending of CGI and actual sets is poorly done.

I can forgive poor sets, but there is no excuse for bad writing. As usual with Disney series, the plot is essentially fan fiction and the writing feels like a first draft. Clunky dialog without any attempt at artistry, endless amateurish exposition dumps. This is on about the same level of writing and acting as the terrible new Bruce Willis movies, except that it's more woke.

What really bothered me the most is how they keep trying to invoke the Holocaust with the empire sniffing out the remaining Jedi. Yes, clearly Lucas modeled the empire after the Nazis, but he was quite careful to keep it operatic and escapist and not turn it into "musings on the holocaust in space" by using any footage reminiscent of kids hiding in tight spots as in Schindler's List. Same with slavery. The references were there, but Lucas had the tactfulness to weave them into the natural fabric of his setting, not hit the viewer over the head with real world references (except for the "If you're not with me then you're against me" line).

Disney, in their endless hubris, think their message is so important that tact or restraint don't apply to them, so they throw in some Anne Frank imagery before a second later hamming things up again in a story about space wizard samurais. If you're going to make Schindler's List in space, you better get the tone right and make damn sure your product doesn't exploit real world tragedies for cheap virtue signaling.

What's next, will Star Wars have a scene of a school shooting to make a point about bannning guns, then 5 minutes later have the hero cut down dozens of storm troopers to heroic music?

That's the level of tone deafness on display here, and it's disgusting and shameful.

There is very little to like here except the two aforementioned actors and some nice CGI establishing shots. Everything else, from direction to acting to music to writing, photography is bland and ugly. At this point, watching anything Star Wars is like ordering fast food. You know it tastes bad, you know it'll clog up your arteries and give you indigestion, and you know it's cheaply made recycled garbage. You know it's bad for you, but they know you'll be back out of habit and nostalgia for that happy meal you enjoyed as a kid, and so they keep getting away with producing and selling trash.
966 out of 1,502 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silliness abounds...
ivoryturtle26 June 2022
Out of fairness I watched all mind-numbing episodes of this absolutely unnecessary and legacy-tarnishing series.

I won't write a five paragraph, which I'd love to do, so I'll just summarize: convoluted... grasping at straws... inane plot... horrific writing. And once again: completely unnecessary. It's only saving grace was seeing Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen again. They deserved so much better than this tripe.
81 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Disney, why do you this?
This is the weakest star wars thing I ever saw.

Sorry for my weak English too.

McGregor is one of my favorite actors still but he can't carry this giant stone alone.

The writing of the story it's so weak and with a lot of plot holes within.

A "10 years old" girl can run faster than a Jedi? Come on!!!

That Leia Girl it's not 10, my 10 years old daughter it's bigger and faster, maybe Disney's relativity time apply in different ways.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreakingly bad
kevinandrewsphoto27 May 2022
This is the one Star Wars story every fan asked Disney to make a show about. And they put such little effort into it. It's shot with no spirit, the acting and dialogue is laughable. And the chase scene with little Leia was laughable.
1,216 out of 1,771 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adventures with lil Leia...
richardbrucejulien22 July 2022
If they called it that and left out Obiwan ... and didn't market this bait and switch dud as a Obi adventure with Luke ... then most of us would have been ok with it... A cute adventure series for young people in the 7-12 years range ... No problem.... But alas Disney gives us this crap!

And then shames the fans for expecting something else... you know .... The stuff in the trailer with Luke... lol.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgraceful.
djproinfc29 June 2022
Disney continues to destroy everything we once loved. Strangely only Mando has survived the purge. So far. Ewan is great, Hayden is also great. The rest is shameful. These characters deserve so much more. Shame on you Disney.
150 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG what a bore.
shamzin-3512724 July 2022
What is this? Its really just not very interesting, and the choice of actors couldn't be better.so its all on the bad writing. Its also not sufficiently about Kenobi. Its about Reva half the time, and then in the end they tell us to feel bad for her...or something. And apparently Star Detroyers are actually done with green energy, so they dont work well.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uneven tone and acting
heatsink9828 May 2022
The series starts a bit slow in Ep. 1 and picks up toward Ep. 2. There are several problems, however.

Story quality is the first issue, as the writers chose to follow characters we already know the story arcs for. There's no real danger for Obi-Wan or Leia, and they are the focus of threat here. Lucasfilm has made this mistake in the past with young Han Solo.

Dialog tends to be clunky at times. Tone takes a giant turn toward screwball comedy in Ep. 2 for some reason. It seemed really out of place. Some of the acting needs work. Ms. Ingram as Reva might have been a casting mistake, as we had trouble believing her in the role. Her dialog delivery and presence didn't fit the character at all. It reminded us of what we usually see in SyFy channel movies.

The first two episodes had all the Star Wars world-structure to watch at least, and Ewan McGregor did just fine. The story isn't anything compelling, but it might appeal to the crowds who don't mind a large helping of backstory.
778 out of 1,249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hold On - I Watched All 6 Episodes
lovefalloutkindagamer23 June 2022
I waited until all of the episodes were released before passing a final judgement on this. I can say I'm glad I did, as the first couple episodes were 3/10 stars for a tv show with the latter being more toward a 7/10.

With that said, I'm trying rate this show as a whole. Would I recommend it to anyone? Would I watch it again?

It's hard to slap a number on this. I did like it more than the recent film trilogy despite it being very campy at times (tbh I'm not entirely sure if that was at all intended, which make some moments even more hilarious) with a weak and noticeable production value that did take a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Reva's arc was a classic Star Wars story that actually justifies its existence in the end, even if it does it poorly. Why it was such a centerpiece in a show titled Kenobi... I dunno. Honestly I think this show would have received much less backlash if it was simply titled something else.

Taking everything into consideration, would I recommend it to anyone? I would recommend it to anyone that loved the prequels. I do think it falls out of purview for mostly anyone else though.

Would I watch it again?

Yes, I will rewatch a few of the episodes just for some of Vader's sequences, as much as I don't want to admit it. The last few episodes focus more on the relationship between 'Ben' Kenobi and Anakin, which in turn give us a better transition of Anakin to Vader than the films did alone.

This show is dumb, light hearted and sometimes heavy. It's a very true to form Star Wars story with the exception of having poorer production and slightly lesser quality in writing, and if you can laugh at the scenes where the child outruns bounty hunters by walking, you'll get some enjoyment out of this.

If you wanted a purely serious tv series based on Kenobi like I did, you won't get that. But maybe you'll find something passable in the meantime.

6/10.
144 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saber Batteries needed
timothyjlynch29 June 2022
Every time I hope it will get beyond a Sunday afternoon Dinsey 8 year old tv show, everytime it's more and more an 8 year old Disney TV show. This show is for introducing StarWars to little kids, so I respect that, but yeah, big pass.
64 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all gone....
rogerofthenorth24 July 2022
Very Disney!!!

The plot is as laughable as the stupid British accent Ewan used.

Again, no one dares to question the decisions regarding plot, direction etc.

Basically the force has left them.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointing
nicorip2215 July 2022
Honestly, I am a little disappointed in with this tv shows, I can't rescue anything, it was incredibly poorly written, I wonder if the person who wrote this actually saw the movies. Very bad, I expected much more.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.