Super Dragon Ball Heroes (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

Utterly bonkers (and only getting crazier), but it's only a promo so don't get your knickers in a twist
DJPilkington28 March 2019
As "Dragon Ball Super" temporarily ended with the Tournament of Power arc in March, fans were elated when news came of a new anime to hold them over until the main show returned. As pure filler fluff and glorified advertisement for the currently Japan-exclusive arcade game of the same title, "Super Dragon Ball Heroes" does its job but ends up being kind of a detriment to the rest of the franchise as it basically spoils us.

Whereas the main Dragon Ball anime shows have time to flesh characters and conflicts out, SDBH's episodes are very condensed but somehow never seem to really cover very much. Episodes are overstuffed with characters, transformations and explosive energy blasting to promote events that happen in the game, but it all rarely serves any purpose beyond that; it's just fan-pleasing guff riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies. Luckily, the manga expands and fills in gaps. Remember that fetch quest for the Special Dragon Balls that Fu mentions in the first episode? The manga covers that and more, featuring more zany stuff like Hatchiyack fighting Majin Ozotto over a Ball.

Watch in teeth-pulling awe as Vegito in Super Saiyan Blue (the most powerful one) boosted with Kaio-ken can't beat the bland Evil Saiyan Cumber's base form. The most funnily egregious example of a useless character, though, is Cooler, who joins the heroes' side with Future Trunks (who is similarly useless here), suddenly gains a snazzy new -- and 100% original -- transformation, throws a single punch, and spends every episode after standing on the sidelines doing sweet F-A. Combined with cameos from the various Super Saiyan forms, fusions, Ultra Instinct and so on, SDBH starts to feel like stuffing yourself on your nan's delicious cake until you feel sick. This is what I'd call high-cholesterol Dragon Ball.

The animation and art style, overseen by Yamamuro, are bland, flat and unimpactful but at least consistent. The action often feels far slower than it should be. The fights are almost all boringly choreographed and samey with this lazy formula: punch-punch-punch, energy blasts, character flies out of dust, Kamehameha beam-struggle. Yawn.

The show, as of this review, has covered two separate story arcs: the Prison Planet Saga and the Universe Conflict Saga. This recent arc has actually been a big improvement over its predecessor so far as it has a more interesting (but still insane) story, higher stakes and better animation. It's actually starting to explore concepts that I would like to see implemented into the canon story of "Dragon Ball Super" (Goku training under the Grand Priest? Sign me up, lol). Let's hope this keeps up.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Dissapointing
TheBlackFlash22 November 2018
Episodes of 15 min where the things are too fast. There are many fails in this, the plot is very undeveloped and it has bad animation. I am a truly Dragon Ball fan, but this show is bad.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mocking real franchise
leptilic6 March 2019
Just to be clear, next to fact that there is no story line, no plot, no logic etc, creators need 1-2 month to make 4 minute episode with 4 minute replays+whats next. Sorry but in World of anime that is disgrace...
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a lot of hope
fear202 February 2019
Episodes are too short but the concept concept is amazing the throw everything in together. Lots of enemies verse lots of Heroes is great but wish you would turn into a bigger series like super and z
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total trash
avinashswami-2688827 August 2020
This series is total disappointment....no power scaling of charcters and many characters have lost their value.Nor the story is pleasing. Super and Z were much better. Please don't make such garbage....if there were 0 rating I would have given that....hoping for some better series from db franchise.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its not supposed to be a stand-alone series
narcissisticfish17 November 2018
The main point of the episodes is to get you hyped up to play the Dragon Ball Heroes arcade/card game that are popular in Japan. To that end the DB-H episodes are fights between varying heroes with little in the way of dialogue or explanation. Also since they have to fill a 15 minute slot and there are several weeks between videos, the fights often start and end rather quickly. Its not a frieza-saga yelling for 5 episodes to power up match.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is just a "promotional anime"
c-86907-6459919 September 2019
This anime has a really dull story with uninteresting characters, but like the title says, this anime is only meant to be an advertisement for the Super Dragon Ball Heroes arcade game.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
fear2021 October 2019
I really hope this kinda dragonball keeps going. I wish the episodes were longer but its amazing
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Progression is the key to success; not regression.
nimajoon6217 October 2019
Not worth the extreme wait period per episode, they really need to hit back to high gear and get back to their high point, which would be Dragon Ball Super, a true work of art, dialogue, and jaw dropping combat with the art to back it up, I see a very negative transmission from what was to what currently would be dragon Ball Heroes... Coming from a true fan, and knowing how difficult and time consuming each clip is.. With that said knowing it's possible since you guys killed it dragon Ball super, which was a 134 episode trilogy. So I know u guys got have more then the passion & capability, tO go way harder in every aspect from the story line to the the little details that truly male a difference. I'd greatly appreciate it... I know u guys got the talent and practice to not degrees, but progress dramatically after the next transition. Either way the one major issue is the length of time. That's gotta be the first priority, coming from a fan who's like most other true fans who actually watch, at this rate and decent work, slowly revenues and all the fans thx to heroes and classics will drift away and eventually the studio will shut it down and be remember for what was DBZ super, don't let it happen, you guys did it before, what's stopping u guys from going even harder? Hope this review gets to you guys, and nothing but love N honestly, with a grip of Constructive criticism, from a fan from the state of California, I spoke with many other fans that also believe in you guys, you gave us the super trilogy, can we can get another?
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
best
parasgola23 February 2020
Best anime in my chidhood iam watch in 5 years old
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Know what you're talking about before reviewing
jhmerkel16 November 2020
First and foremost understanding what Super Dragonball Heroes is goes a long way to understanding why it has a fairly shallow and short story and run time. It's a promo anime for the game, not an actual series. Think of it as a fever dream of all things dragonball, nothing really makes sense but it looks cool, you're certain there are a lot if things out of place, and you're likely just waiting for Beerus to wake up and find out you've been in his head the whole time as the punchline to the series.

It's not amazing, but given that it's basically glorified advertising for a game I wouldn't expect a whole lot in the way of deep development. Great if you're just wanting to watch something flashy while on break at work, not so much if you're expecting it to be a sequel to DBS.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where to watch all episodes ???
leightonwagner28 January 2021
Hi guys. What sites can I watch Dragon Ball Heroes from as the sites I use only have up until episode 6.

Looking forward to your help.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best idea ever
bouzlafanour6 July 2020
I thought that dragon ball heroes would be annoying like dragon ball GT but it's very nice and cool;besides,it is maybe more exciting than DBS because of the big crossover.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst in dragon ball history
sumitroysci2 November 2018
An episode of 15 min and it's on air at who knows what time frame, as a dragon ball fan I mean truly disappointed, the music and the animation are really way worst, after dragon ball super this drop in quality wasn't expected
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Episode are too short
burhanmb13 March 2019
But awsome.they should consider for incring time duration.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it !! Awesome series
lavishsingh1 January 2021
It's the series which build hype for the upcoming super arc anime so i loved it The story is also good but only the time of this Anime is short . Super fans should really watch this series.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic series even if bonkers
swordofyosho22 June 2022
A lot of fun. Unfortunately series seems dead. Which is a shame considering we just got Yamucha back after 20 years and started a new tournament. Will it be back?
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it have everything
felderrashaun12 April 2022
It has everything I need and it doesn't have as. Long adds and it has subscription plans and am planning on using this app more often (best app ever) thanks for making this app.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.