Twin Murders: The Silence of the White City (2019) Poster

Why? Just why?
sidious8216 February 2020
35 minutes into the film the audience is told who the serial killer is. And I mean us, the viewers, not through the main character or the investigation, only us, we're told for no reason, no purpose, and no benefit. Unbelievable.

After that, the film doesn't get any better. The characters are poorly developed, a lot of things are left open and/or unexplained and it is obvious the whole time that you're viewing a (bad) book adaptation.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted Research For A Tepid Thriller
zac-682747 March 2020
Wasted running & chasing leading to pointless results. Producing not 1 clue or evidence until the last 30 minutes doesn't make this a thriller!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why???
millicent-564738 March 2020
Well, I already knew the story, because I read the book recently. Sure, the expectations were high.

I tried to ignore the bad reviews, and watched the movie anyway. Well, they are right. The thing is, I don't understand why they didn't do a TV series, like they did with the book of Joël Dicker, " The Harry Quebert's Affair".

If you didn't read the book, you will find the movie just a mediocre thriller. But for someone like me who read the book, he or she will be really disappointed. The identity of the killer is revealed too soon in the movie, and I couldn't find any interest for that decision.

And if we analyze the acting, it is really poor. The choice of the two main characters is bad. Sure, you can make some changes when you adapt a book to the screen, but there are some important things, some characteristics, that were not respected! It seems to me that they wanted to use the success of the book to make a movie, but the result is not good!!!

If I were the writer of the book, I think I would be mad but mostly disappointed.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre thriller from an usually good director
abisio22 February 2020
I never read the White City trilogy but perhaps I should because this movie is so disappointing that is unbelievable is based on a very successful book series. Daniel Calparsoro has made a some interesting movies and some confusing like The Warning / El aviso or some too ambitious like Combustion.; but never a mess like this.

Starting with the acting that is basically poor. Belen Rueda and Aura Garrido are with underwritten characters. Javier Rey is unconvincing as traumatized cop (and less as a sexual object); Alex Brendemühl makes an effort (and fails short) on his Hannibal Lecter moment. Only Manolo Solo as the killer is able to be menacing and convincing.

The script is full of cliches (the Lecter moments, suspended cops, old traumas, etc) plus there are many characters doing nothing. Perhaps the editing cut a huge part of the complete story. We might never know.

In brief; a bland copycat of many better thrillers that on gets confusing for moments and make no sense in others. Do not lose your time
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
White City Lovers Buzz Off
pkdyer65196 March 2020
The trailer promised oh so much but the film failed to deliver. The gothic surround centering on the lover themed murders was impressive along with the scenery but the characters and acting fell flat. You knew who the killer was from a early stage, it was a case of seeing how the main characters wove into his sick plans. The murders were very predictable with no change in his method of execution. There has been some excellent Spanish Crime Films over the last decade sadly this didn't fit into that category. Netflix best work has been international Film &TV this let the side down a bit.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been a great tv series, but it is a mediocre movie
jorgefijate10 November 2019
This is the adaptation of the first book of a trilogy. I think that people who have not read the books will have some trouble to follow the film. It is a very weak and dissapointing adapation which leaves outside some of the best things of the books: for example, the grandfather, one of the greatest carachters, only appears in one or two very brief scenes. The relation between Unai and Alba does not translate well to the screen. The rich traditional background you have in the book comes very superficial here, and so happens with the investigation itself. Also, having the "big mistery" revealed 20 minutes into the film does not help.

Generally all (acting, music, script...) is quite forgettable and superficial and lacks the magic the books have. In my opinion, it could (and should) have been made into a TV series, not into a movie.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big disappointment.
mbfernandez-295162 November 2019
I was really thinking that this movie could be a good movie, but not.

This is an enterteining movie with a good photography a good Story but a very bad climax and bad actors, in an alternative universe this movie is going to be remembered as one of the best Spanish movie ever but we don't have this privilege.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confusing
Calicodreamin26 March 2020
While the main plot is fairly easy to follow, there are too many tangents and unresolved questions. The storyline jumps around and introduces side plots that are left unexplained and only muddy the central story. The acting was good and the English dubbing worked well enough. But just too darn confusing.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure what to say
mariagrant-6479011 March 2020
So half way through the film one learns who the killer is .... that's fine but the end is pathetic.... two cops, drugged in the same way as the previous victims, tied in the same way as the previous victims....... how come they managed to escape..... the wife is actually fed the dangerous wasps and she manages to survived??? And then the detective is shot in the head.... same as the criminal and manages to survive???????? Wow I wish I had read the book......because is not a very good plot at the end!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre
leonidasstathopoulos29 March 2020
Not such a mystery Not plot twists Not a masterpiece Just a easy going movie to spend some time
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Worth Watching - Ever!
juliancooper-935-7570515 March 2020
Absolutely pathetic acting. The Director should take up a job as a janitor at an old run down school that nobody likes. Several scenes where the criminal gets away by running into a crowd of people dancing, singing, and playing loud music or instruments (done so many times before, and it doesn't work anymore at all). "... your brother." "My twin." Like, we needed that line, because we're so dumb, right? That's how this movie treats it's audience - as though they are completely dumb. I'm a bloke, so it got two stars for the boobies.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bees, hot policewomen and a Christian Bale soundalike
lynchiefromsc13 March 2020
An absolute dire film with cardboard cutout characters and a ridiculous plot. A lot of the film sees the hero (male) policeman running after people. I fast forwarded those parts, then fast forwarded more. The sex scenes are laughable as is most of the dialogue and I'm wondering who is giving this film 5 star ratings?
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was really so bad
dianeguyot26 March 2020
It's literally the first time I write a review. i just wanted to warn people not to watch this movie. Really it's perhaps the worst thing I've watched in a long time. Acting is horrible, scenario does not make sense at all, I had to stop watching 10 minutes before the end
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awfull and stupid !!!
dragonofsniper16 March 2020
People always on run with no reason, it should be named the running cast, boring and long story, don't bother to see it you will not miss anything!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
ahawary-648664 April 2020
A good movie to watch, although it doesn't have much suspense, but still the main idea of the movie is new.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good thriller movie to watch
dy384935 April 2020
Good movie to watch for especially the thrilling moments and nothing new is in the movie but you will get caught in drama and thriller sequences.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are cops that stupid?
shakeyz8220 March 2020
If I were the cop investigating the murders, when the autopsy revealed that the murder victims were injected with some kind of drugs to paralyse them, I would straight check all pharmacies to detect whom had sourced such kind of drugs. Murder solved within 10 minutes.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Making sense
kosmasp29 March 2020
Not every cop thriller has to make sense. Not everything has to be top notch. This is not the movie Seven (for different reasons, story and otherwise), this is just an investigation into some murders. If you like crime movies and are intrigued by the concept in general, you'll be entertained.

Or at the edge of your seat mostly. Even when or after you know (way before our detectives) what is happening. The ethics will not be everyones cup of tea, the investigation and what comes out of it, may not feel right. The police work may feel weak compared to other movies ... but if you try to enjoy what is and there is a lot to enjoy (from the actors to stunning visuals and a compelling story overall) it'll turn out better. And the quality is there as said, even if far removed from perfect
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some critical plot mistakes sets this a sour 7
CousinBagunca30 March 2020
Sidious82 said it right: why!?

Detectives Unai and Estíbaliz are investigating the murders of teenagers whose modus operantis are the same as a serial killer already in prison. Is it perprtrated by a copycat? Is the a man in prison by crimes he didn't comit? Is the man in prison still able to influence people enough so they kill for him?

Seems like a nice plot to make us keep going through 110 minutes of the movie, right!? Problem is: those questions are answered in the first half of the movie! Yep...

Most people would hate it, but I'm fine with that, even though it really breaks the whole "investigation" aspect of the movie. The only final question is: what's the reason? And, at least that they left open until the end.

Overall, good investigation movie, despite that major flaw. Acting if ok; character development is kinda good - something are left open, but alright, I mean, we already know what is going on with this movie by this point.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basque Country Serial Killer
Pairic22 March 2020
Twin Murders: The Silence of the White City: Twenty years after Ortiz is imprisoned for a series of killings a copycat killer emerges, or is Ortiz innocent? like the originals, the victims are killed in pairs, left at historical sites around Vitoria-Gasteiz in the Basque Country. The killings are based on ancient ritual killings which took place in Neolithic, Celtic, Roman and Medieval times in the area. Ortiz was an archaeologist who presented a Fortean style TV show and was turned in by his twin brother. A troubled detective. Unai, is assigned to the case, his assistant has a drug problem and he has a crush on his boss. Should be an easy case to solve! Some really horrifying scenes where the killer uses bees to dispatch his victims. Many chases, in old churches, along roofs through museums. Many suspects and red herrings including the father of one victim who keeps animal eyes preserved in jars, charming chappie. It has some really interesting materiel but is a tad too melodramatic and would have benefited from a ten minute cut in its running (chase) time. Directed by Daniel Calparsoro with a screenplay by Roger Danes, adapted from the novel by Eva García Sáenz de Urturi. 7/10. On Netflix.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.