A Dog's Journey (2019) Poster

Great heartwarming movie
www-aktomer3 June 2019
Continuation of first part, 'A DOG's PURPOSE'. It will definitely make you cry, and that too several times. A really great movie filled with love, positivism and cuteness. Great cast, awesome dogs, fantastic story. A must watch, not just for dog lovers, but for everyone!
66 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wonderful Sequel to "A Dog's Purpose"
gwmbkm26 May 2019
Audiences need more movies like this one!

My husband and I went to a 4 PM weekday show as we needed to "kill" a few hours before meeting our daughter. We knew it was the same writer (W. Bruce Cameron) as two other movies we loved ("A Dog's Purpose" and "A Dog's Way Home") but we didn't know it was a sequel to "A Dog's Purpose." If you haven't seen "A Dog's Purpose" I'd strongly suggest you do so before seeing "A Dog's Journey." You'll enjoy the continuing saga of Bailey and his people much more if you do.

Prepare to cry.
59 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just saw it and loved it
kryzhan23 May 2019
Saw the film with my wife and 13 year daughter this evening and loved the film. We all three had some tears at various points in the story. Just made me want to hug my family. Great story, good acting, well done. Thank you to the producers, writers and everyone else involved. Might just go read the book now.
56 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie about Unconditional Love
bartyldm19 May 2019
What a wonderful movie! Really, really loved it! I thought it was such an honest picture of how life can be, and how unconditional love can pull you through. Nice mix of laughter and tears. Sometimes tears of sadness, but sometimes just tears because my heart was touched❤❤
60 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good one
arssunderfff18 May 2019
Good movie for dog lovers, kids love it , Movie says wats the purpose of a dog to human , and say about their love ,good one . Waiting for the next part or a season of stories
56 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
kgpg30 May 2019
I'm so glad I watched this! I'm also glad I grabbed extra napkins with my popcorn! I experienced all those wonderful emotions and then watched A Dog's purpose.
49 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great uplifting movie.
aayala-0290419 May 2019
Not ashamed to admit I cried in this movie. A true must for any dog owner/lover. A very fitting ending.
53 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice emotional movie
ahmed_alshara17 May 2019
I like this movie more than avengers and scintific imaginary film in order to the big senses of fabulous emotions including the relationship between the Human and his own pets
65 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding movie
godsebonyrose5 June 2019
If you are a dog lover as I am-you must see this movie! It brought to life the beauty of a dog's never ending and unconditional loyalty and love. I cried my eyes out during this movie because it's pure genuineness caused me to be overcome with emotion. What a poetic piece!
38 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Best Movies I Have Ever Seen
zuriwilliams20 May 2019
This movie is literally one of the best movies I have ever seen. It has to be top 3-5 movies ever. It's up there with movies like Ghost and Lion King. I'm already an animal lover, and huge dog lover, and this movie just gives me more reason to love and cherish my little four legged friends. I'm not going to go into details of the movie in my post because I do not want to spoil it for anyone, but I will tell you this much, bring some tissues with you. Not because the movie is sad, it will be happy tears that you will be wiping away. Just an amazing movie. A masterpiece. I brought my kids to go see it and they loved it. Cane straight home to hug and kiss their dogs. Again....its an amazing movie. One of the best I have ever seen in my entire life. Do not pay attention to these critics who rate the movie low or say anything negative about it, those people are fools. Their job is to critique a movie and look for negatives. Notice the huge discrepancies between rotten tomatoes reviews on movies compared to the public's opinion of a movie........it's always a huge difference. Mark my words, go and see this movie with your kids and family and friends. You guys will not be disappointed. And again, bring some tissues for your happy tears.
53 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You need tissues for this one!!!!
Figgy66-915-59847013 May 2019
13 May 2019 First Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - A Dog's Journey. So this is a sequel to A dog's Purpose and if you taken one thing to the cinema with you, make it a box of tissues because unless you have a heart of stone you're jolly well going to need to crack them open. If you don't like showing emotion in public wait for the DVD because I cried like a baby (a very quiet baby). It is the continuing story of Bailey/Molly/Big Dog/Max who remains committed to finding his special human through all his/her reincarnations. Although he had different bodies, different names and even a different gender his memories and his heart remained that of Bailey and this was a touching tale of him keeping his promise to his best friend all those years ago. Some great camera work showing close ups of the amazing language a dog projects with his eyebrows. Lovely film.
51 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I surprisingly liked it
mercymaymbewe26 May 2019
I usually don't find myself really loving movies completely centered around animals but the story of this dog's life got me. And the ending was great
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this movie!!
erinwalshtx18 May 2019
This was such a cute movie!! I cried i laughed i felt all the emotions!! The only thing that annoyed me was the make up on the grandparents at the end! It was horrible! But everything else was amazing!! I want everyone to see this!!!
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Left the theater feeling exhilarated
2001ASOfan19 May 2019
The first film, "A Dog's Purpose," was so emotionally draining for dog lovers like me (but ultimately worth the rollercoaster ride) that I admit hesitating to see this sequel. My best friend leaned toward seeing it when we were looking for a movie to see this weekend, though, so I agreed. Now I'm so glad I did. While "Journey" is also a rollercoaster ride of life's ups and downs, the overall effect by film's end is exhilaration and joy--and hope. I highly recommend throwing yourself into this particular journey. Strong performances from all of the cast, both canine and human, careful and thoughtful direction, beautiful cinematography, and the story a very compelling view of the human-canine connection in this life.
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Than Just A Juvenile Canine Epic!!!
zardoz-1311 May 2019
Mind you, I'm a cat lover. Nevertheless, director Lasse Hallström's "A Dog's Purpose" was doggone good. No, I haven't read W. Bruce Cameron's novel about a canine that goes through a series o reincarnations, while it ponders its' purpose in life. The dog starts out as a male doggie named Bailey and it narrates the film from its perspective. Life is good for Bailey since he finds himself a family with a kid, and adventures galore occur. However, "A Dog's Purpose" is not without its drama. The family that adopt Bailey is lead by a father with a weakness for alcohol. The action unfolds in the early 1960s, about the time of the Russian missile crisis between President Kennedy and the Kremlin. Ethan raises Bailey and basically gives him free rein of the house. Naturally, Bailey cavorts around the premises and behaves like a loose cannon on deck. Ethan's traveling salesman father (Luke Kirby of "Halloween: Resurrection") doesn't like Bailey, especially after the pooch trashes his at-home office. Later, unbeknownst to the father, Bailey gulps one of his valuable collector's coins as the father is about to show them to his boss over dinner one evening. This episode delivers suspense. Ethan takes Bailey for a walk and scares him into pooping out the coin. This reminded me somewhat of the Saint Bernard in "The Sandlot" that chewed up a baseball signed by home-run slugger Babe Ruth. Except, of course, Ethan lucks up and gets the coin back after using the sighting of a rat in their house as a subterfuge so he can slip it back into the case. Before long Ethan's dad goes off the rails into alcoholism. This is about the same time that Ethan makes a smashing success of himself as a high school quarterback. Another team member who is jealous not only of Ethan's success at football as well as romance ticks Ethan off enough for the latter to deck him in the parking lot after he threatens to expose Ethan's father as a drunk. Vengefully, Todd (Logan Miller of "Escape Room") plays a prank on Ethan that goes horribly wrong. Shoving a lighted firecracker through the mail slot in the front door, Todd accidentally set the house ablaze. Miraculously, Bailey awakens Ethan (K.J. Apa of "The Hate U Give"), and he rouses his mom out of bed. Okay, the father has been driven off the premises by now. Everybody exits the inferno of a house, but Ethan runs out of sheets to lower himself from a window. He makes a leap of faith and tragically injures his leg. Gone is the athletic scholarship that he had been counting on to pay his way through college. Todd is arrested by the police, but we never learn what his fate is. Ethan and his mom move in with her parents, and Ethan winds up going to an agricultural college to studying farming.

Although it is largely focused on the dog, the filmmakers keep things very tough on the characters. The reunion at the end between Bailey and Ethan is very lachrymose.
32 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't expect to quite enjoy it as much as I did
muamba_eats_toast9 May 2019
I liked the first film but that was about it but this time round I got completely lost in it. Yes it was heartwarming soppy mush cliched at times but I loved absolutely every minute of it and was left wanting more. A great film for all the family.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Sequel To The First
MovieBuff1173228 May 2019
A Dog's Purpose is about Ethan hoping that his granddaughter will do good and tells Bailey to watch after her. He/she goes through many things to get to CJ.

This movie was a piece of art. I really don't know why critics don't like to watch this movie series. The first one was outstanding and I thought the second was pretty solid. The acting was pretty good. Also the dog training was outstanding. There is vast amount of dogs on set and they nailed the training. Also the story was pretty solid too. It was pretty interesting to see the dog going through his life. The only thing I didn't think was that good was the focusing on the people. If you are going to see this movie you will want to see the dogs not the humans. Their where a couple scenes were it made sense. I just didn't like where they focused on the humans more than dogs though.

A Dog's Journey is a great movie and I would defiantly head out to theaters to go see this movie.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such an emotional movie but so good!
adog200119 May 2019
May contain spoilers! I liked this movie a lot better than the first movie. It tells the story about Ethan's granddaughter, CJ who wants to become a singer and she has a few dogs in her life, and like Ethan, she doesn't realize it is Bailey reincarnated until Ethan tells her when she is in her late teens. Her mother, Hannah's daughter, also is an alcoholic who doesn't treat her daughter well as a young teen and as CJ got older, her mother apologizes and says she has been sober for 9 months and 13 days. A lot of scenes in this movie made me cry, but that scene really got me. It has an I Can Only Imagine vibe when the father apologizes to his son and tries to become a better parent. Storywise, this movie is a lot better than the first movie and involves more plot. And is also more emotional than the first movie. But it is still really good. I give this movie a 9 out of 10.
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
oh my gosh
rubleabigail10 June 2019
I am a huge dog lover personally, and this movie made me realize why I truly love dogs. It's heartfelt and heartbreaking at parts but is overall beautiful.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet, tearful and heartwarming.
tibby-732655 May 2019
This film is all you want from a lovely childish dog film. It is quite cheesy at times, but it is a great film to watch with the family. The story at some parts is surprisingly dark and it touches on real world problems and how dogs can help with that. I cried many times while watching this film, so make sure to bring tissues!
53 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming Tale For the Whole Family
jhodl-3858221 May 2019
Bailey the oft reincarnated dog gets a new mission from Ethan to watch over his granddaughter C.J. and he/she does a great job watching over her in several guises and eventually helping her find happiness and returning her to her grandparents. I dare you not to tear up when Bailey, his mission completed, joins Ethan in heaven. I really loved this film. And you can take the kids to see it.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Delightful Doggy Movie
totalovrdose27 May 2019
I must admit, I was a little disappointed when I walked into the cinema - I had confused this film with A Dog's Way Home. However, when the end credits rolled, I was thoroughly pleased with my mistake. A Dog's Journey is a film that will unapologetically tug at your heart, and though cliched film tropes are consistently used, these are brilliantly effective.

The best part about the movie is definitely Dennis Quaid, as Ethan, whose charismatic charm inspires us to believe in the far fetched narrative. His dog, Bailey (voiced brilliantly by Josh Gad), is always blessed with new life after passing away. When Ethan and Hannah's (Marg Helgenberger) grand daughter, CJ, is taken away from them by their alcoholic daughter in law, Gloria (Betty Gilpin), Ethan asks Bailey to look after CJ in his next life. Loving his master so much, Bailey continuously keeps his promise, though it is convenient he always happens to appear at the right place, at the right time.

Quaid revels in his character, and though Helgenberger's, Hannah, is more serious (and doesn't get as much screen time as she deserves) their characters wonderfully contrast. Henry Lau, as Trent, CJ's best friend, is also a highlight of the movie - he is such a likable and caring friend, though much of his backstory (example, he often wears a suit and appears financially secure, yet we never learn what his job is) is never given to us.

CJ becomes the main character for much of the film, Kathryn Prescott developing a really sympathetic character - after all, everyone loves the underdog - though her gullibility can be somewhat unbelievable. At the same time, her ark, about longing to pursue a music career, and the uphill battle she faces, is probably the weakest and most undeveloped part of the film. So too are the peripheral characters she encounters, who are mere two dimensional cut-outs, typically treated as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, whereby they experience an extreme personality shift demanded by the script to force the story in a particular direction, that is neither warranted nor deserved.

Considering the film wants to touch your heart, it does throw almost every shockingly sad film trope at the screen, from family deaths, to sickness and near-death experiences, all of which have been overused before. Occasionally, after occurring, these are never touched upon again, which is not only a wasted opportunity, but illustrates that they were simply used for shock value. However, the film's portrayal of these moments, alongside the acting and the musical score, beautifully compliments them, assisting the movie in accomplishing its goal - safe to say, by the time the film was over, many people in the theatre with me were choking back tears.

Although Gad's portrayal of the dog is often comedic, it never gets in the way of the film's more serious moments, giving the movie a great sense of warmth, and comedically highlighting some of the film's themes. At times, the film is very light hearted and funny, and it might have been nice if more humour had been included.

Despite the criticisms that could be made, the film's touching moments make for a fantastic viewing experience. Besides, who doesn't like the always amazing Dennis Quaid? I would definitely recommend this to filmgoers who love dogs or coming of age movies; just don't forget to have a few tissues stuffed into your trousers before you do.
Get The Kleenex
jchen-0723723 May 2019
Yes, I don't mind if the film might include cliches or family friendly things that's 2019 does not need anymore, but I loved and enjoyed it with all my time. Many things hit home for me, made me laugh, and most of all, made me cry in sorrow for the characters but also cry in utter happiness. A truly heartwarming experience, and if you are searching for an amazing movie that you'll love and that's full of love of all sorts, human and dog, this is the right sequel for you. Yes, the acting could not beat the first movie, but it is still well-made and efficiently heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tear jerker... put on your must see list!
mtgsolver16 May 2019
First I'm a little confused how this is showing as a new release since we saw it a few months ago... does anyone know if it is a re- release? My daughter and wife cried through half of the film. I admit my sinuses ached up on me also, lol. There is a lot of meaning throughout this film and it makes you relate to your relationship with your fur baby. If you are a dog lover you will love the show. Good for all ages.

Sit back and watch the show... bring your Kleenex.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heart warming movie with positive asian representation
andy-7986130 May 2019
The movie is on par with the first one, all the cute dogs and emotional storyline. Huge props to the movie for having positive representation for asian male!
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.