Swamp Thing (TV Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Why DC?!
Ashitaka13710 June 2019
This show had so much potential: the swamp city atmosphere, the mystical voodoo aspect, the jump scares and the gruesome violence that the show doesn't shy away of showing, a great main character Abby and her dynamic with the people of city because of her tragic past, a really good cast of talented actors... So many positives points; but DC decided to cancel a potential great show, to give us multiple seasons of woke Bat Woman; make no sense.
460 out of 509 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why cancel a great show?
ryanhadi11 June 2019
They give us a breath of fresh (swamp) air and then take it away for what? What was wrong about it? The setting isn't the usual concrete jungle, the hero isn't a usual cos player, lots of back stories, and a naturally dark plot...this was a great show and I think they should continue.

I mean look at your ratings!
439 out of 492 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this Show!
nasrollahjokar12 June 2019
This serial is very great and magnificent, This is first DC series that I like it nope I love it! Why they canceled it? I don't see anything bad in this serial. Stories is very thoughtful and very exciting.

We must create a campaign to save this serial! anybody with me?
316 out of 368 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a really good show
charlesschroeter16 June 2019
I do not understand why DC cancelled this show. It is quite awesome.
198 out of 236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One & Done
ronsimmons176 June 2019
After a very promising & well received debut episode, Swamp Thing has been officially canceled by DC UNIVERSE. No reason was given as to why. 13 episodes were originally planned, however it was cut to 10. Hopefully fans of the series can resurrect the show.
217 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What ?
supernaft17 June 2019
What A-Hole cancelled this show ? Connect to the horror genre or a weekly procedural....that was the issue ??? Idiots ! It only works as a horror and did great actually ! Better cancel that brainiacs job !!!
148 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing TV show true to origin
jon_anderson7711 June 2019
Been watching this at a friends place as he is a subscriber and its awesome. How the hell have the decided to cancel this. Yet more proof that TV execs are morons. I really hope another network invests in this and continues for a new season as its easily one of the best comic based TV shows made.
132 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
canceling a show that could bring a war between the flesh, the rotten and the green.STOOPID
MaxKomori9 June 2019
How dispointed i am to see how these producers are empty in their heads and full in their pockets...Swamp thing could lead to lots of season with all the material, and beautiful stories, scarry story about the rotten. We could have seen Animal man, it could have been of the most important show of this years because we ALSO NEED A HERO FOR THE EARTH AND FOR PROTECTIING OUR PLANET. They are so stoopid... I love the comics, with Len Wein on board i could have love the show too and i would have bought the dvds because swamp thing is my favourite hero with characters like man thing, or Dr Strange, anyway, too bad See ya all and make some noise to bring back the show damn it !!!!
129 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC does what Warner Brothers should have done
hotrobinproductions31 May 2019
DC Universe kicks off another collection to its universe with Swamp Thing. I gotta tell you, once I heard a TV show about teen titans was coming out I was already believing DC was dead before it, but then it came out. It proved that DC can prove us wrong. Titans was a unexpected surprise for not only DC fans but tv show viewers. Then the following with the superior Doom Patrol. Which is by far one of the best over the top different and unique distinct crafts of television I've ever seen. Then now, Swamp Thing. DC is changing the game, starting from shows of action and drama, to comedy and SyFi, and then here enters Swamp Thing, a horror and thriller. Don't only thank executive producer James Wan, But thank everyone the cast, the crew, makeup artists, editing, music, and the acting, everything on the first episode is amazing. Also, the first episode shapes to become the origin of the entire show. The script was great, very solid drama going on between characters in the small town in Louisiana. A lot goes on without dwelling too far away from what's important and to what we want to see. Thrills. And you get a lot of them. From people dying, to intriguing tense moments leading it's buildup to climatic horror, to autopsy's gone wrong, to exploring the depths of the swamp. If the show continues to deliver, which I believe it will, on the pace of the first episode, it will be amazing, and by the looks of it, it looks like Swamp Thing will deliver AND more. DC went all out for this show, and Swamp Thing deserves and earns the spotlight.
191 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
blastartz31 May 2019
After watching Titans and Doom Patrol, it's refreshing to see a horror series from DC. I have personally never heard of or read about Swamp Thing, so I pretty much went in blind (apart from the trailer of course).

In my opinion, the first episode was great: amazing acting from the leads, a scary and unsettling atmosphere, great practical effects and a mysterious story/character development. If Swamp Thing manages to uphold the quality and potential of the first episode, the series might turn out to be amazing.
154 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where did this DC come from?
Bwent1 June 2019
*UPDATE: SWAMP THING HAS BEEN CANCELED. Remaining episodes will air over the next two months but it will NOT be renewed*

DC knocks it out of the park again. Back at it with a Swamp Thing series full of suspense, terror and even some gross-out practical effects. Dark, mysterious, gets right to the meat of the story with no unnecessary and boring exposition. If the rest of the series can keep this pace, it looks to be another solid outing for the streaming service. Highly recommended.
123 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show, Premature Cancellation
ryandunham-6352610 June 2019
I've really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I'm from Louisiana, and the portrayal is always wrong for Cajun Culture, but this was tolerable still. I really enjoyed these episodes and I'm sad that DC finally has good content with Doom Patrol and then followed it up with my childhood favorite and it gets canceled. I'm going to finish the season, but they never gave this one a chance. Shame..
69 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs another chance
johntk156630 July 2019
This series started out very strong. The first half of the season is really well written and acted. There are a few questionable story issues early on, but it has a lot of really interesting points, with a lot of good momentum. Probably the biggest issue with the first half is a serious lack of Swamp Thing actually appearing for more than a minute or two.

Unfortunately, after about episode 6 it seems like some writers got fired or they just stopped caring. There are painfully serious plot holes and just poor writing decisions. Perhaps they'd already been told that the series would not be going forward. Whatever happened behind the scenes to cause such a drastic turn in quality, the effects are very obvious.

Swamp Thing really deserved much better treatment than this. All the actors did a great job, the effects were very well done, and it would have been nice to have seen a lot more of Swamp Thing.
44 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable
artabuneta16 October 2020
Swamp Thing has a very good start, after the first episodes, however, things start to slide down the drain. The plot becomes predicted and follows every development and turn expected of a similar thriller. Monsters aside, Swamp Thing is just that.

The main characters, despite their extended onscreen time, are underdeveloped cliches; each is an avatar for a particular type and doesn't progress. The dialogs are straight from the textbook.

There are some very basic procedural errors in autopsy scenes, with rob them of all credibility.

The mood is somber throughout, a consistently dark palette is used. Photography is pedestrian and uninspired.

There are comments thrown in about Nature with a capital N and the way human greed has destroyed her and continues to. Lacking depth and passion, it becomes faintly embarrassing, similar to lamenting the plight of the hungry children in a disaster area over a five course meal at an expensive restaurant.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I usually don't write reviews but dam..this is good
darkmantis12323 July 2019
Why did they cancel this already? It seems like after each episode it just keeps getting better and better. It's so unusual to see a comic series with such a good plot woven with nice horror scare tactics, and yeah, they can be in your face suddenly, but you never see it coming because of how they directed it. They need to revive this series and do a second season!
33 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW Swamp Thing First Pilot Episode Blow me away.
gerry_barnaby31 May 2019
Damn this is the first Series to get me Hooked within the First 5 mins of it starting watching it, DC finally done something dark, I do mean dark twist, evil and I kid you not gory.

From what ive just seen it looks like some supernatural force has been in the swamp for years that able to control the Vines and environment that grown bigger in power from some type of Chemical being dumb in the swamp, Holy hell this doesn't hold back on the gory and brutality using the horror side of the supernatural swamp, you can't tell right away this isnt gonna be some light heart.

There a lot of element taking from Man thing with the supernatural side of things from what I saw from the pilot episode, I love the transformation of the swamp thing giving the audience the first look of swamp thing, Ive gotta say this is Miles better than Teen Titans in special effects and the way the drama flows from their character.

It fleshes out characters and introduces you to who they are and some of them have a past growing up with the swamp, Were clear also introduced to the villian played by Will Patton who playing Avery Sunderland all those that have read teh comic books will know who he is.

Introduced to the beautiful Crystal Reed (star of the tv series teen wolf) who clearly playing the love interest of swamp thing Abby Arcane who is a CDC Dr. Doctor trying to found out why people are coming down sick, but clear as thing unfold something else is going on. Andy Bean who the main star of the show playing Alec Holland who will eventually become Swamp Thing which is done in a brilliant way, showing just how swamp thing become the creature.

From I saw there is a lot of history between character so expect drama and well as some frightening dark and twisted moments that's just in the first Episode, I cannot wait for episode 2 this has me hooked. With a strong start like this, I can honestly say this is Mile better than Titans and should be on tv and not streaming service because this has the making of one of the best DC tv series going just by judging that first episode, easily a 10 out of 10 pilot episode.
93 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Only DC Movies Were As Good as Their TV Shows
jasonviliame13 June 2019
Not much to say except for how great this show is. Refer to review title lol
47 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of action
kathleengsmith31 May 2019
Love it, nice character development and love the action it's a thriller. You get into the characters really quickly.
95 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
90 minutes B-movie dragged out to 10 eps.
Crystal_Dive16 June 2019
You get your actors playing doctor, badly.

You get some cheap jump scares, and monsters from Carpenters the Thing but CGI.

You get some generic evil corporate big bad.

You get some stereotypical uncooperative locals

You get rogue scientists whom are the only people in the whole country to discover something earthshattering even though evidence of it is all around. No one cares in this world, even if what they see with their own eyes is inconceivably strange.

But all of that could still work if you have interesting leads that you can root for. This has none. No charisma, no presence, oh so bland.

No wonder it is cancelled as it is not a cheap series to produce.

Lots of diehard fans rating 10/10 for no reason other than a form of protest to the cancellation.
67 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising
surfingnaked16 June 2019
Special effects are a 10 for a tv show. Looking forward to next episode
40 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ran out if swamp gas fast
fredric_wertham6 July 2019
Got off to a good start but scripts degenerated into soap opera.

As putrid as brackish water. No wonder DC axed it at the gate.
47 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surely gonna get picked up by another channel
kaefab15 June 2019
Its insane that Punisher had 2 seasons that where god awful with close to no action, Arrow got its dramatic crying love story like super girl and the flash,,,, and those shows never end but Swamp Thing is great special effect story, horror gore you got it all.. and its cancelled after the first episode which makes no sense James Wan is one if not the best horror director right now.
36 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good series movie
gikiet10 June 2019
Don't know why this series get cancel. WB should reconsider about the decision for that.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good start, then women issues
nicohauptbraingames28 May 2020
Swamp thing is another example of destroying a franchise by being to focused on what the spectators might need and what would be good for them then writing a good story about and inside the idea of the name giving thing. The monster is canvas for telling a stupid story about women that fight against men. about mothers, female cops, female scientists, ghosty girls, wife's that sponsor their men bla bla bla. And if you don't blink you see some action and some comic book character's and maybe: the swamp thing. Started as a nice blend of the thing and shadows of our past and became a soap opera about the suffer of the woman itself. It is all about balance. And this the hasn't some.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Little Swamp Thing On Screen
Johnny_West31 October 2020
I have seen 4 episodes of Swamp Thing and it seems like there is really no Swamp Thing in this TV series. Swamp Thing is out for five minutes or less of each show. Sometimes 90 seconds or less.

It is all a trashy soap opera about the scummy town of Marais, which exists in the middle of Bumfork, Louisiana. All the turgid drama, creepy life stories, and conflicts that exist between the inbred swamp townies makes up a big chunk of every episode. Not very compelling. The history of hatreds, jealousies, etc. of Marais makes no difference to me.

Also the whole CDC / Hospital treatment angle just faded away without any type of diagnosis or treatment. Presumably people are still getting infected? The virus and pollution are just used or brought up when it is convenient. Otherwise it is just a prop on the shelf.

Finally, the Swamp Thing now is just like some kind of swamp counselor for Abby Arcane. He is not a hero, he is just reduced to giving her swamp tips. Where are the Swamp Thing's super-villains? Where are the epic battles?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.