Swamp Thing (TV Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Why DC?!
Ashitaka13710 June 2019
This show had so much potential: the swamp city atmosphere, the mystical voodoo aspect, the jump scares and the gruesome violence that the show doesn't shy away of showing, a great main character Abby and her dynamic with the people of city because of her tragic past, a really good cast of talented actors... So many positives points; but DC decided to cancel a potential great show, to give us multiple seasons of woke Bat Woman; make no sense.
122 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why cancel a great show?
ryanhadi11 June 2019
They give us a breath of fresh (swamp) air and then take it away for what? What was wrong about it? The setting isn't the usual concrete jungle, the hero isn't a usual cos player, lots of back stories, and a naturally dark plot...this was a great show and I think they should continue.

I mean look at your ratings!
147 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One & Done
ronsimmons176 June 2019
After a very promising & well received debut episode, Swamp Thing has been officially canceled by DC UNIVERSE. No reason was given as to why. 13 episodes were originally planned, however it was cut to 10. Hopefully fans of the series can resurrect the show.
98 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a really good show
charlesschroeter16 June 2019
I do not understand why DC cancelled this show. It is quite awesome.
51 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this Show!
nasrollahjokar12 June 2019
This serial is very great and magnificent, This is first DC series that I like it nope I love it! Why they canceled it? I don't see anything bad in this serial. Stories is very thoughtful and very exciting.

We must create a campaign to save this serial! anybody with me?
82 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing TV show true to origin
jon_anderson7711 June 2019
Been watching this at a friends place as he is a subscriber and its awesome. How the hell have the decided to cancel this. Yet more proof that TV execs are morons. I really hope another network invests in this and continues for a new season as its easily one of the best comic based TV shows made.
39 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC does what Warner Brothers should have done
hotrobinproductions31 May 2019
DC Universe kicks off another collection to its universe with Swamp Thing. I gotta tell you, once I heard a TV show about teen titans was coming out I was already believing DC was dead before it, but then it came out. It proved that DC can prove us wrong. Titans was a unexpected surprise for not only DC fans but tv show viewers. Then the following with the superior Doom Patrol. Which is by far one of the best over the top different and unique distinct crafts of television I've ever seen. Then now, Swamp Thing. DC is changing the game, starting from shows of action and drama, to comedy and SyFi, and then here enters Swamp Thing, a horror and thriller. Don't only thank executive producer James Wan, But thank everyone the cast, the crew, makeup artists, editing, music, and the acting, everything on the first episode is amazing. Also, the first episode shapes to become the origin of the entire show. The script was great, very solid drama going on between characters in the small town in Louisiana. A lot goes on without dwelling too far away from what's important and to what we want to see. Thrills. And you get a lot of them. From people dying, to intriguing tense moments leading it's buildup to climatic horror, to autopsy's gone wrong, to exploring the depths of the swamp. If the show continues to deliver, which I believe it will, on the pace of the first episode, it will be amazing, and by the looks of it, it looks like Swamp Thing will deliver AND more. DC went all out for this show, and Swamp Thing deserves and earns the spotlight.
139 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What ?
supernaft17 June 2019
What A-Hole cancelled this show ? Connect to the horror genre or a weekly procedural....that was the issue ??? Idiots ! It only works as a horror and did great actually ! Better cancel that brainiacs job !!!
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
blastartz31 May 2019
After watching Titans and Doom Patrol, it's refreshing to see a horror series from DC. I have personally never heard of or read about Swamp Thing, so I pretty much went in blind (apart from the trailer of course).

In my opinion, the first episode was great: amazing acting from the leads, a scary and unsettling atmosphere, great practical effects and a mysterious story/character development. If Swamp Thing manages to uphold the quality and potential of the first episode, the series might turn out to be amazing.
104 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
canceling a show that could bring a war between the flesh, the rotten and the green.STOOPID
kowmori9 June 2019
How dispointed i am to see how these producers are empty in their heads and full in their pockets...Swamp thing could lead to lots of season with all the material, and beautiful stories, scarry story about the rotten. We could have seen Animal man, it could have been of the most important show of this years because we ALSO NEED A HERO FOR THE EARTH AND FOR PROTECTIING OUR PLANET. They are so stoopid... I love the comics, with Len Wein on board i could have love the show too and i would have bought the dvds because swamp thing is my favourite hero with characters like man thing, or Dr Strange, anyway, too bad See ya all and make some noise to bring back the show damn it !!!!
48 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where did this DC come from?
Bwent1 June 2019
*UPDATE: SWAMP THING HAS BEEN CANCELED. Remaining episodes will air over the next two months but it will NOT be renewed*

DC knocks it out of the park again. Back at it with a Swamp Thing series full of suspense, terror and even some gross-out practical effects. Dark, mysterious, gets right to the meat of the story with no unnecessary and boring exposition. If the rest of the series can keep this pace, it looks to be another solid outing for the streaming service. Highly recommended.
76 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show, Premature Cancellation
ryandunham-6352610 June 2019
I've really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I'm from Louisiana, and the portrayal is always wrong for Cajun Culture, but this was tolerable still. I really enjoyed these episodes and I'm sad that DC finally has good content with Doom Patrol and then followed it up with my childhood favorite and it gets canceled. I'm going to finish the season, but they never gave this one a chance. Shame..
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW Swamp Thing First Pilot Episode Blow me away.
gerry_barnaby31 May 2019
Damn this is the first Series to get me Hooked within the First 5 mins of it starting watching it, DC finally done something dark, I do mean dark twist, evil and I kid you not gory.

From what ive just seen it looks like some supernatural force has been in the swamp for years that able to control the Vines and environment that grown bigger in power from some type of Chemical being dumb in the swamp, Holy hell this doesn't hold back on the gory and brutality using the horror side of the supernatural swamp, you can't tell right away this isnt gonna be some light heart.

There a lot of element taking from Man thing with the supernatural side of things from what I saw from the pilot episode, I love the transformation of the swamp thing giving the audience the first look of swamp thing, Ive gotta say this is Miles better than Teen Titans in special effects and the way the drama flows from their character.

It fleshes out characters and introduces you to who they are and some of them have a past growing up with the swamp, Were clear also introduced to the villian played by Will Patton who playing Avery Sunderland all those that have read teh comic books will know who he is.

Introduced to the beautiful Crystal Reed (star of the tv series teen wolf) who clearly playing the love interest of swamp thing Abby Arcane who is a CDC Dr. Doctor trying to found out why people are coming down sick, but clear as thing unfold something else is going on. Andy Bean who the main star of the show playing Alec Holland who will eventually become Swamp Thing which is done in a brilliant way, showing just how swamp thing become the creature.

From I saw there is a lot of history between character so expect drama and well as some frightening dark and twisted moments that's just in the first Episode, I cannot wait for episode 2 this has me hooked. With a strong start like this, I can honestly say this is Mile better than Titans and should be on tv and not streaming service because this has the making of one of the best DC tv series going just by judging that first episode, easily a 10 out of 10 pilot episode.
66 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Only DC Movies Were As Good as Their TV Shows
jasonviliame13 June 2019
Not much to say except for how great this show is. Refer to review title lol
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of action
kathleengsmith31 May 2019
Love it, nice character development and love the action it's a thriller. You get into the characters really quickly.
74 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good series movie
gikiet10 June 2019
Don't know why this series get cancel. WB should reconsider about the decision for that.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cancelled
stevenjohnsonsj7 June 2019
Watched the first episode. Decent opening episode but unfortunately...it's been cancelled after just one week!
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surely gonna get picked up by another channel
kaefab15 June 2019
Its insane that Punisher had 2 seasons that where god awful with close to no action, Arrow got its dramatic crying love story like super girl and the flash,,,, and those shows never end but Swamp Thing is great special effect story, horror gore you got it all.. and its cancelled after the first episode which makes no sense James Wan is one if not the best horror director right now.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It started out really good...
boggie475812 June 2019
I thought it started out interesting and had a lot of promise. However WB cancelled it only after one episode and it looks like there will be no more episodes past the 2nd episode. It was not cancelled because it got poor ratings just the opposite, it got very good ratings. There are rumors that it cost more than they expected and made them cut episodes from 13 to 10 episodes. Some say there was a problem behind the scenes with artistic differences. What ever it was WB is not really saying so no one really knows the reason. What ever it was I think it is a shame..
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising
surfingnaked16 June 2019
Special effects are a 10 for a tv show. Looking forward to next episode
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gary Dauberman and James Wan present a visually engaging, though slightly unfocused introduction to the new long awaited adaptation full of vast potential.
tresm875 June 2019
I've been a huge fan of Swamp Thing since I was very young and grew up on the underrated Craven film as well as the comics/toys/cartoons. I was floored to hear James Wan was facilitating a new adaptation series, and even more so when he got horror writer/director Gary Dauberman to be the brains behind it. You can definitely see their brilliant keen eyes for atmospheric tonal horror shown in this solid pilot. The camerawork is flawless and the effects are supremely executed. You truly feel like you're immersed in the murky dark swamp. There is some truly amazing imagery that I didn't expect to be so vibrantly detailed in this series which is an incredible positive.

As far as the cast goes, I wasn't too satisfied so far especially with Abby Arcane's character and her extremely uninteresting forced backstory that kept taking momentum away. I understand they need to set up characterization, but I would've rather seen more of Alec Holland character's backstory but I'm sure that will be expanded on with flashbacks. Will Patton as Avery Sunderland was an excellent choice and should be an interesting character. It will be cool to see all the villains developed throughout the series.

The finale sequence of the pilot episode was fantastic and sets up this season incredibly and I'll definitely be watching though I hope we don't get bombarded with pieces of unnecessarily long characterization scenes over the actual swamp thing horror/action meat of the story.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wantastic
tiptoptopper31 May 2019
With James Wan at the helm, I can't see a Swamp Thing sinking on the horizon.
42 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the comic I loved?
cicerobuck4 June 2019
So let's put it to rest right from the start : I don't mind adaptation. I love the original Wrightson/Redondo book, and adore its later Alan Moore Following. I've read pretty much every Swamp Thing Book, even the bad ones. I know the concept is rooted in family friendly late 60ies horror, So there's of course some doubt about how htis could be relevant 50 years later. Well, after this pilot, I must say it isn't : it dumbed down something that wasn't that elaborate to begin with, with some terrible pacing (the ending, how is that a climax of a pilot?!), features some gratuiteous fan service (Madame Xanadu), and completely forgets what made the comic book great : its quiet tragedy nature. Swamp Thing, never was a Horror story in the traditional sense. It's much more of hipie version of Frankenstein, the novel. It tackles deep human emotions and nature, and will make you cry more than it will frigthen you.

This just seems to be run of the mill modern light-horror for TV, designed by studio execs, despite having the somewhat competant and comic book knowledgeable Mark Verheinden at the writing helm.

It is not irredeemable. But it's not off to a good start, even if you haven't read the comic, as its just mediocre, no brilliant ideas there. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't do much more than just that...
37 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Sci-Fi Sausage Churned Out From The Industry Machine.
LouieInLove3 June 2019
Safe, steady/generic writing. Regurgitated style. Another sci-fi Bland sausage.

Forget diversity quotas, forget gender balance, can the entertainment industry please just get people in with fresh ideas, regardless of background, who can actually write & create accessible stories, without any other agenda, except that to entertain - the rest may or may not come.

I don't write the previous paragraph because this version of Swamp Thing has an agenda, I write it because it's jaded, boring & unoriginal.

We've seen it before!
51 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You said what!?
mauro_costa732 June 2019
First and only recommendation to the team of doctors and nurses is "wear gloves, goggles and mask for those that enter indirect contact with patients" and what she does!? She gets in with mask, gloves but not goggles. Are you kidding me!?
51 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.