Annabelle Comes Home (2019) Poster

Annabelle wastes $10
BandSAboutMovies28 June 2019
Maybe I've seen too many of The Conjuring films now - seven in total with several more on the way, such as a sequel to the excoriable The Nun and The Crooked Man. I even sat through the barely connected The Curse of La Llorona. It's co-written and directed by Gary Dauberman, who wrote the remake of It, as well as Annabelle, Annabelle: Creation and The Nun. Original creator James Wan is the other writer as well as the producer.

Back in 1971. demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren - back again at least for a brief cameo to drag you into the theater - are bringing the possessed Annabelle back to their home. Before they even get it there, it brings all manner of hell after them in a pre-title sequence that really has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

After Father Gordon - coming back in another call back to the first two The Conjuring movies - blesses a box for the evil doll, we fast-forward a year to the Warrens bringing in Mary Ellen (Madison Iseman, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle) to watch their daughter Judy (McKenna Grace, who has made something of a career of playing the young versions of characters - she was young Captain Marvel, as well as the child versions of Sabrina on the new Netflix series and Theodora Crain in The Haunting of Hill House).

Judy is able to see all manner of ghosts and spirits, like a priest that keeps following her and later protecting her. He's Father Michael Morrisey, playing by Gary-7, who will probably get involved in a later The Conjuring movie. Or maybe not. Sadly, I'll probably be there the first night with the vague hope that this will finally be the one that equals the original.

Mary Ellen's friend Daniela decides to visit the Warren house, as she wants to speak to the dead, specifically her father, who recently died after a car crash. She was the driver and blames herself, which brings her into the Warren's hidden sanctum of the scariest and most sinister of all occult objects. She ends up touching everything and leaving Annabelle's container wide open, showing that not only is she a moron, but she also has no idea how to read. Finally, she uses an artifact called the Mourner's Bracelet, which certainly will play a part in another film. That's all these movies have become, a kickoff to the next film which introduces the next character which tells us all about the next character for the next one. I get it. I've been paying for it ever since the second one.

Anyways, this dumb teenage girl is like, maybe my dad will talk to me through something in this room, which means that Annabella is able to gather all of the other spirits and attack, spirits who I will eventually pay to see their own movies and buy their DVD's, like a ferryman, a bride, a samurai, a hellhound called the Black Shuck - no, not the song by The Darkness - and, of course, a copy of Milton Bradley's Feeley Meeley game.

Actually, the Black Shuck is based on a famous Warren case - which is the same as me saying that I have cases when all I'm doing is lying about ghosts - where a werewolf was killing local livestock. Kinda like the chicken that gets it here.

Everybody gets attacked by different spirits, like Bob dealing with the hellhound, Mary Ellen getting dragged away by Charon the boatman or whatever we want to call the ferryman with coins on his eyes and Judy has to deal with Annabelle herself, who just up and got in bed with her. Daniela? Well, she's trapped in the artifact room and being terrorized by a monkey that plays drums. Whoever sold those things and who bought them? Maniacs, that's who. Every adult that I ever knew that had one continually used them to torture children. It's like they had an underground network of mean grown-ups who thought it was funny to give kids nightmares.

There's one great scene in the middle of all of this, as Daniela watches an old television that shows a mute vision of a few seconds in the future where she'll be screaming and covered in blood. It's the most frightening thing in the movie - hell, in the last couple of these films - and it's a total throwaway. The same with the scene where the kids try to call Lorraine for help and a demon is on the other end. These bring forth primal childhood fears unlike the rest of the storyline.

It all ends with Daniela possessed by The Bride, but the priest and Judy play a movie of the original exorcism over the girl, freeing her, while Mary Ellen tries to lock Annabelle back in her cabinet. Of course the next day, the parents come home and every kid ends up coming to a birthday party and Ed plays guitar while Lorraine has a psychic talk with Daniela. You didn't expect a happy ending?

I kinda love - or totally hate to be honest - that this movie is being called an intraquel, as it is set during the opening and main plot of the first film. This renders it meaningless, a film that has no true bearing on anything that has come before or since.

I guess the only thing we learn here is that the demon inside Annabelle

The identity of the demon primarily attached to the Annabelle doll is called the Ram, which makes sense, as the cult group in the 1960's that Janice "Annabelle" Higgins belonged to was the Disciples of the Ram. The fact that I know this much - and didn't need any reference to call that up - means that for some reason, I know more about the Conjuring universe than my own family. Someone please help me.
268 out of 366 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They missed the mark on this one
dereckromero29 June 2019
I'm a fan of The Conjuring and the other Annabelle movies but this one was disappointing. The acting was fine but the story a as weak and the ending was horrible. At least they kept the time period feeling. I expected more from this series.
161 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time
jezwood-9349826 July 2019
SPOILER ALERT ... this film is c**p !! There you go. An insult to the genre and the franchise, but more importantly, to my intelligence. There was a werewolf, yes a werewolf! Even if you could justify its appearance you couldn't explain it. Avoid. Hang on to the memories of the first two movies and the conjuring series. You have been warned.
179 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like I'm watching the same horror movie over and over again
sderousse26 June 2019
Let me just sum the whole movie up for you all: Parents leave, just the kid and the babysitters in the house, house is haunted, ghosts everywhere, jump scares, then some jump scares, some more jump scares, then some more jump scares, oh and some more jump scares. I mean honestly do they really think that this is actually scary, do they think they're viewers are 5 years old. Might as well have gone into a haunted house, at least I would actually enjoy it. I really hope this isn't how the next horror films are going to play out. What they need to do is actually hire some real writers, spend more than 5 minutes on the plot, the scary stuff, etc. spend some actual money on the movie as well so we can have some actual good special effects. Why waste our time with this excuse of a "horror film". When I watch a horror movie I want to actually be terrified. There needs to be more than just jump scares, like a really creepy plot and characters, kind of like the first two insidious movies, I actually had nightmares from those movies. Watch this movie if you just need to fill an hour and a half while waiting for your parents or your wife and kids at the mall, don't expect anything new or original or certainly scary.
176 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't go watch this movie.
caetanoagro6 July 2019
Nothing happens until half way of the movie. I was almost sleeping. There is no story, there is no end, there is no scary parts. Terrible, huge regret.
125 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Disappointment!
melonhead-9443026 June 2019
The Conjuring movies (1 &2) are two of my favorite horror movies. The first Annabelle movie was not great. The second one was actually very good. I did not have much by way of expectations, and this movie failed miserably to even meet those. Pacing, horrendous. No Warrens. Too many unnecessary monsters and ghosts with little to no story or purpose. Characters (especially one) doing the whole I'm-going-to-touch-this-or-go-in-here-because-I-can. Honestly, the horror is skimpy and stereotypical. Some scenes dragged on forever with no purpose. My wife, especially, was looking forward to this and is usually forgiving of bad horror movie elements, but even she called it "trash". Annabelle should have stayed away.
98 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
dajanaeg3 July 2019
I've NEVER written a review , I didn't even have an account til now. I just HAD to write one after watching it because WOW. As everyone said slow , legit takes the movie an hour just to get to the "good" parts. Daniella *sighs* was the absolute worst , I think she should've died or at least gotten badly hurt 😩 The whole movie was her fault. It made sense or even an attempt to do so. The 3 girls seen creepy things before reaching the climax and ignored them as if they're not in a house that has a room of possessed possessions. As if the sh** is normal👀 After that one VERY long day everyone just brushed it all off as if nothing even happened, as if Ed and Lorraine shouldn't know the severity of Annabelle's actual strength. They had many opportunities to escape but ignored all the signs of danger beforehand. A waste , I'm so happy I didn't pay to see this because I spent the whole movie yelling at it😄 All in all , my main point is they never made an attempt to get in the CAR & LEAVE🤦‍♀️

I'm not even going to proof read this before I post it to make sure it makes sense, just like the producers didn't before releasing this movie.
97 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop making Annabelle movies
chevolek30 June 2019
They should stop making Annabelle movies. This is definitely not a good movie and not scary. There were many scenes were they were acually funny because this film has some comedic scenes unlike the previous ones. The funny scenes were the ones I enjoyed. The girl that plays the Warrens´daughter did a great job but her character was not believable as she was fighting demons like a superhero. The Warrens were in the movie for about 5 or 10 minutes. R.I.P. Lorraine Warren.
170 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
False advertisement
lisadreyfys29 June 2019
Thought this movie would be about Ed and Lorraine Warren but instead I had to watch three kids running around a house for an hour and 45 minutes. This movie would've been good if the production was well executed.
74 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you are ten years old
FrenchEddieFelson8 August 2019
To synthetically summarize, I would say that Annabelle Comes Home (2019) is essentially dedicated to young teens. In addition, although it's directed by the padawan Gary Dauberman, do not expect anything original. Nice with low expectation.
66 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything sucks
meijerjordi28 June 2019
This movie is unoriginal, the plot is almost non existent, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are not a part of the main story, the scares are all the same, everything's in the same house, the comedy is predictable. I could go on but you get the point. I guess the acting wasn't that bad. After watching it I thought it had a PG(12+) rating because of the lack of gore or actual horror happening but it actually is rated R(16+) for some reason.. Also the Annabelle doll itself isn't scary at all so how they managed to make 3 movies based on it is beyond me
124 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Much Potential Left On The Table...
loshidragon1 July 2019
I was disappointed with Annabelle Comes Home because they had an immense list of material to use and they didn't. There were too many ideas and they all clashed and the story didn't make sense at times. The "comedy" scenes felt awkward and forced, just like The Nun, and overall came across like it was supposed to be a teen suspense film rather than a horror film. It kept me at the edge off my seat a bit but never went beyond that. Annabelle Creation and the first Conjuring are still the best films out of this whole franchise.
69 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
snooze fest is what this movie is
savindri29 June 2019
This is coming from a person who doesn't watch horror movies because I'm scared but also cuz I just don't care for the genre much. But this movie was just a honest waste of time and money in my opinion. The pace of the movie was quite slow during the times it led to the jump scares; which were also very mediocre. The character "Daniella" was unbearable to watch. As well as the ending was so stupidly abrupt. It was comparable to the "when she woke up she realized it was all just a dream" scenario. You would expect the characters involved in this movie to be genuinely traumatized after such an event, but no they all were happy as if nothing happened. Also how are people rating this 10/10, do u have any taste in film? Anyways, Smh I just want my money back lmao.
116 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly a waste!
PainkillerQ826 June 2019
Unfortunately the movie has nothing to deliver, the story was completely trash, jump scares scenes are overused and you will know them before happening, boring dialogues and acting.. even Vera and Patrick showed up for a few minutes in the whole movie!! Totally doesn't worth your time.
141 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is 2019 for God's sake !!!!
tiagocampos-029186 July 2019
First of all, if you say this is a good movie you know nothing about cinema and much less about the horror genre. Period! This was embarrassing and I felt embarrassed by being in middle of the theatre. How is it possible that we still allow crap like this to be successful?! After years and years of cliches and predictability in the horror category there are still movies like this filled with stupid jumpscares, suspense that goes nowhere, empty dialogues etc etc and still have big budgets in order to create crap! That's what makes me mad, millions of profit for garbage! Everything was predictable except the ending because I could not believe it was going to be finished in such a mediocre way! I did not want to believe it was going to be so insulting! And those ridiculous zoomings???? This was begging to be bad...3,50 euros is cheap but even if it was a few cents I would still feel robbed. I realized it was a mistake as soon as I walked in the room and saw it packed with teens. This is what we have today: cheap stinkin' movies, songs and products to please a generation that is not demanding and do not ask for quality. A mediocre mass of "regulars" who blindly follow anything they are told to. I will NEVER go see any other Annabelle or any other spin-off movie! This was disgusting and the fact that people appreciate drivel makes me sad...
104 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annabelle comes home - You better stay at Home!
giridharsivakoti26 June 2019
It has everything. It has the right cast,premise and build up to scare you yet they decide otherwise. It feels like you're in a Haunted House around some weirdo dolls. Zero makeup and zero plot.

To keep the plot is simple terms, Annabelle decides to play Hide n Seek. Any other movie in the series is much better than this one. I went to see this movie in the rain and I was already wet in the theater and I can already feel chills before the movie started and yet I come out with zero chills or goosebumps.

Spoiler : Nothing was scary except for the scream of a lady who sat a couple of rows up. 😅
108 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sick
ryanritchey-2306429 June 2019
Dont expect to be scared. The worst Annabelle movie and I love them. Sad they do not make horror movies like they used to.
98 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Worst movie of 2019
ssantiago44530 June 2019
Seriously, how can people be rating this movie 10/10? Predictable, stupid, jokes were really bad and what about the werewolf? The conjouring movies are totally going downhill.
70 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and comedy movie. Waste of time.
mekukyamaloom30 June 2019
Please save your time and money. Don't watch this movie. not scary nothing. One of the worst horror movie. No suspense No thriller Silly Childish No horror No story No content Bad ending Only has some jump scares.
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Of The Best Annabelle Movie I Ever Seen
ymyuseda26 June 2019
Rating 9.1/10 I was able to catch an advanced screening of this movie on 26th of June 2019 in my country. One of the best Annabelle movie i ever seen. Annabelle Come Home can give u truly terrifiying experience in your life. Good acting performance by Mckenna Grace a.k.a Judy Warren, Madison Iseman a.k.a Marry Ellen & Katie Sarife a.k.a Daniela Rios. Go see it you won't regret it.
329 out of 642 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad, nothing happens
uceanusilviu26 January 2020
Nobody dies in this movie, just the people watching it.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Return to the Conjuring universe
TheLittleSongbird17 July 2019
Although horror is not my favourite film genre, and have made that known more than once before in the past, there is still high appreciation for it. Although there are a fair share of average at best films or even clunkers (even when trying to take them for what they are or intend to be), there are also an equal fair share of good horror films as well as classics, which won't be named in order to be fair.

Really enjoyed the two 'The Conjuring' films for the same reasons to each other, that they were well-made, well-crafted, suspenseful, entertaining and had genuine shocks. 'Annabelle' is inevitably compared to them, but to me it doesn't compare favourably and could have been much better. Its prequel 'Annabelle: Creation', although far from perfect or great with some of the same mistakes being made, again to me fared better, though again not close to the quality of 'The Conjuring' films. 'The Nun' meanwhile was a mediocre disappointment. Put 'Annabelle Comes Home' in the middle and personally found it a difficult film to rate and review, though it will be easier for others.

'Annabelle Comes Home' looks good. There is a great Gothic atmosphere, lush and darkly atmospheric production design and stylish photography. The supernatural effects are surprisingly excellent too. The music is haunting and the direction brings a genuine eeriness and mysteriousness in places. There are parts that are suitably uneasy and eerie once 'Annabelle Comes Home' gets going.

The pace, again once the film gets into gear, it has been said that the mute vision in the television is the scariest part and do have to agree with this. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga do good jobs, though take a backseat to the younger cast. Was worried that this would not work, but the younger cast carry the film quite well and don't bore and annoy as feared.

However, the story is near-non existent with few surprises and can get very silly. Especially towards the end. Although there are moments of scares and suspense, there are not enough of either and could have done with more build up that would have made them less predictable.

Did feel that the pacing was still very flawed. 'Annabelle Comes Home' takes too long to get going and then the climactic parts feel very rushed. The ending is one of the film's biggest issues, as well as being rushed it was very anti-climactic and bordered on plain ridiculous, as well as illogical. The dialogue is no improvement too, very awkward-sounding and banal, doing little with developing rather clichéd characters.

Summarising, difficult to rate and review. Watchable but never rises above borderline between average and decent. 5/10
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great tribute to the real Lorraine Warren. RIP.
igordimitrienko26 June 2019
I had absolutely no idea that the real Lorraine Warren died just a few months before this film was released. She passed on April 18, 2019, at the age of 92. This was definitely a nice tribute to her. Introducing Ed and Lorraine's daughter (Judy Warren) in "Annabelle Comes Home" made this film reach a different level. This film is very refreshing by taking the possession, the terror and the horror to Warren's home where the doll resides with just about everything else that's evil. It created a new atmosphere and presented us with the "haunted house" type feel. It was intense and quite the ride when things got going. The story was decent. The acting was decent. And the scares were decent. It is a decent installment to the Annabelle/The Conjuring franchise. Again, great tribute to the real Lorraine Warren. May you join and rest easy with Ed now. This film also marks the directorial debut of Gary Dauberman, who was involved with "The Nun" and the "It" remakes. adaptation and its upcoming second installment, now introducing the teen hungry installment of "The Conjuring" universe and actually delivering. Overall, "Annabelle Comes Home" is a good film that I would see again with the other Annabelle and Conjuring movies.
111 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
go back ..TOTAL BORING CRAP
denzelwmo29 June 2019
Just a lot of tricks, floating objects, noise, first 1- 1/2 hr.. zzzzzz .. a 1hr long haunted house scene... character's/scenes were phony, their friend goes in the ROOM touches EVERYTHING and lets out ALL the spirits... confusing, loud, and all over the place, hardly noticed Annabelle was in it.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A series of terrible decisions, and not just by the living
paglacholakha29 June 2019
I am not entirely sure what was happenning throughout the film. So the protagonist girl knows ghosts exist, she knows she is in a house filled with supernatural stuff, yet when music suddenly starts to play in a different room, she isnt concerned at all. She casually goes there to turn the music off. But in horror movies, we know these things happen, this movie was different because the stupidity the ghosts showed.

1. Ghosts could turn the lights of an entire house off but escapes the moments our protagonist flashes a flashlight on their faces. 2. A particular spirit or something in a wedding dress is so powerful that a cross would turn upside down and fall off a wall when she passes by, but when she is about to attack our protagonist, all she does is hold the cross up and she escapes.

There are many such things these ghosts do which makes you wonder, really, I am supposed to be scared of them??

We have an exorcism that happens via a recorded video. Really, that is all it takes, a video recording?

There is a scene where some says "We are trapped". I thought, so what, big deal. These ghosts are doing nothing to you. All they are doing is switching lights on and off, turning music on and off, turning TV on and off, sometimes throwing coins at you. Most of the time, they are just standing there.

The ghosts would do something then wait 5 mins to do the next thing. As if after every action, their stamina runs out and they have to wait for the stamina to revive.

Its just absurd and frustrating.
61 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.