Doom: Annihilation (2019) Poster

By far worse then the rock doom.
jamiedee-455731 October 2019
Makes the rock doom look like a masterpiece.

All copies of this film need collected up and buried at sea in a locked vault..

That's all I need to say. 👍
92 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheap, Flat, Ridden With Clichés & Disrespectful of the Source Material
TwistedContent1 October 2019
I think we all knew this was going to proper bad - low budget, cheap actors, mediocre director & no involvement from the authors of the original concept and all the games. Bad it was.

The very start states quickly what kind of thing will follow, the first shot is full of grade b cgi and even the opening titles were zero-budget style. We get introduced to a bunch of painfully clicheic characters (carried out by stiff acting) and plotline, surrounded by plasticky looking props and sets, effortless cinematography, boring color grading and so on and so forth. The special FX is mix of cheap cgi and practical fx that don't impress much. References to the contents of the games are there, a few, but to no satisfaction. So it continues for 90 minutes, from time to time entertaining us with emotionless and uninspiring action sequences. Oh, and the original score can be described the same way. There is some amount of much needed gore, but not creative enough or just simply not enough of it to compensate for anything. As the movie passes by, You find yourself predicting events and not caring for any of the characters - most you're going to feel is cringe or anger, if you're a "Doom" game franchise fan. You're also going to be very bored.

I loved "Doom 3", have played it through for three times & if there's anything good "Doom: Annihilation" did is inspiring me to play one of the games again. I'm recommending a hard pass on this absolutely lame and disappointing game adaptation. My rating: 2/10.
60 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diarrhea Masterpiece
Darkfyre_rn3 October 2019
Good: Lots of attention to the set designs, very Doomy, even though it didn't always look great. Some practical FX were decent. Some external CGI shots of the base and ship were pretty ok. Um... There were two, maybe three, capable actors that did a 'decent' job.

Bad: Literally everything else. This a groan-inducing train wreck of a movie that spits in the face of any Doom fan. The easter eggs were terrible. The lead actress was abysmal. The script and story were Sharknado worthy.

Avoid unless you're looking for a laughable film to heckle with friends
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another awful video game movie to add to the evergrowing heap
Terminator54542 October 2019
When I first heard that another DOOM movie was being worked on I was baffled. I assumed that after the terrible reception that the first film received we would never see another attempt at making a DOOM movie (something that I was perfectly fine with, mind you). However, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, perhaps this time they would try to remain faithful to the source material and present us with a gloriously over the top action film reminiscent of the fantastic CGI trailer for DOOM (2016). After learning that it was going to be a direct to dvd film with a low budget, all my good will for the film dried up. The dreadful trailer and the absence of DOOMGUY failed to win back any enthusiasm.

The premise involves a group of UAC marines being dispatched to a station on the planet phobos for security duty. On this station, a group of scientists, engineers, and researchers are experimenting with teleportation and, of course, everything goes horribly wrong. After having one of their scientists test out the teleporter and returning deformed, Dr. Betruger, the one overseeing the operation, decides that it would be a brilliant idea to send himself in next. This causes the station to experience a power surge and demons begin to invade the station. The marines arrive and must now attempt to bring the station back online and figure out what exactly happened here.

This sets up a rather dull film. A good portion of it is spent with the marines moving through brightly lit corridors halfheartedly pointing their guns at every corner and exchanging dreadful dialogue. None of the marines are interesting or memorable, they're all just a bunch of walking military cliches that we've seen countless times in other sci-fi horror films.

The dialogue consists mostly of cheesy action movie phrases and painfully awkward references to the games (Example: a character refers to himself as an "ultra nightmare", a difficulty setting in the game series). For people that are unfamiliar with the source material, these constant references will leave them scratching their heads and wondering why the dialogue is so unnatural. Fans of the games will find themselves rolling their eyes at these forced references.

The acting is stiff and lifeless, with the only exceptions being Dominic Mafham, who plays Dr Betruger, and Clayton Adams, who plays a marine named Winslow. Everyone else looked bored.

I honestly couldn't tell what tone this movie was trying to go for. It fails to evoke any feelings of dread or horror because the entire station is lit up like a christmas tree and there isn't any ambiance. If it was trying to be a horror film, why not make it like DOOM 3? A game that featured a dark and rich atmosphere filled with gory visuals and accompanied by some truly fantastic sound design that succeeded in immersing you into its world. Whatever, after meandering around for a about an hour, the film shifts gears and turns into a lame action movie.

The choreography for the action scenes was clumsy and disjointed and I found myself dozing off during most of them. The outfits for the marines were unconvincing and cheap, they looked like they were wearing airsoft gear. The CGI for the demons looked like something out of an amateur youtube video.

If you're as big of a fan of the DOOM series as I am, do yourself a favor and skip this movie. You won't lose sleep over missing out on this. If you're not familiar with the series, this film will be a waste of time for you.
38 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"We made a generic STROOOONG WHAMAAAAAAAAAN"
backup-503621 October 2019
"That's enough to get us good reviews in 2019, right?"

Well, wrong. You need good acting, good CGI, good story, some relation to the game you're naming your film after... And you ain't got any of this.

Nice one, Universal. You've managed to disappoint both gamers and movie watchers.

I'll show you just how stupid and uninspired this movie is with some quick trivia - the "Doomguy" - which as we pointed out already is of course a Doomwhaman - her name is Joan Dark. Get it? Mad original and clever, right? It's only the 9000th movie that made a "Joan of Arc" female character because she's so strong and independent and don't need no man, only Tumblr and Twitter. Oh and some random dead guy is called Blaskowitz. Clever, right? What, you said "no?" You're saying that's dumb and makes no sense? How could that be! Well, friendo, there's so much more cringe in there...

I know people don't consider the 2005 Doom movie great but I always liked it, and now compared to this, it's the greatest masterpiece ever.

And don't tell me "ooh the budget was $12 and a pack of wet wipes, what do you expect?" - countless fantastic movies were made on a shoestring budget over the years. That's no excuse, this just generally sucks.
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Waste on the Brand
nightringer-768402 October 2019
It's just wasting money and time. Bad story, bad acting, bad direction.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what ?!?!
ybbobb2 October 2019
Seriously worst film i have watched all year please save yourself the trouble by not wasting money on this movie and if you can watch it for free just stab your eyes with a fork you will feel much better than wasting your time with the horrible story line and even worse acting
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doomed
ptjvandijk2 October 2019
Take everything you love about the Doom franchise and forget it. This movie lacks the basic things that make Doom great. The directing was weak, acting was horrible, vfx sub-par and no Doom guy.

This movie makes me think it was a cheap way to hold on to the movie rights. Just avoid this and save yourself some time
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
rarepeperonis2 October 2019
No enemies that comes up from the DOOM game No Doom Guy Bad sets and CGI Ridiculous story stolen straight from other movies This movie left me speechless what a garbage movie
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad!
ra-223-3201161 October 2019
First off: This movie has nothing to do with DOOM. The movie makers, have loosely borrowed a few elements from the game, that's all. It has no relation to the movie from 2005 either.

The acting is terrible, the props are awful and the FX must have been done in windows paint.
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Doom movie
mattbtownsend2 October 2019
The director tried so hard to fill the first 20 mins with as many Easter eggs and nods to the game as possible to try to fool us that this was a Doom movie. Unfortunately he forgot about the actual story and demons. Very bad acting, very bad story and not worth watching even if you're a die hard Doom fan.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generic Sci-fi Horror
athychristopher2 October 2019
The only part of this movie worth watching is the last few scenes, where this movie truly started showing some promise, only for it to be quickly over and back to mediocrity. Everything else is dull, generic, and boring. The sets are repetitive, the dialogue is mediocre at best, and the acting (for the most part) is lifeless, especially from the main character.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basic with a B.......
s32761692 October 2019
Doom Annihilation is a "basic with a B grade" horror sci fi.

Low budget, basic effects and lean on the story front. In other words this is a no frills flick that has limited appeal. It might be alright for a very slow rainy day but personally, I can think of a long list of things that would come well ahead of watching this again.

The acting is ok but again nothing and no one really stands out. 4/10.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was so happy when this ended
tomkpersonalmail-006231 October 2019
Just plain awful. Then they seemed to have run out of film suddenly and the movie ended. Lots of zombies, gratuitous violence for 65% of the movie. The movies plot was stupid. Many of the actors couldn't see death coming even though hundreds of their friends had already died the same way! Just a chore to watch. Could do so much better.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feminist low-grade film
zedraider-497792 October 2019
Disgusting movie, women like Mary Sue and stupid spineless men. Spit in the face of a fan. I don't understand, the creators understood who would watch their film? obviously not feminists. what the heck?
44 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sy....Fy.... Channel
chfs-308531 October 2019
Wow! This really does make the previous film starring Dwayne Johnson look like a masterpiece. The CGI is bad in fact it's just bad. I stumbled across this and didn't know it was going to be released straight to video. Shouldn't have even been given that much. If you give it your time lower your expectations and then you'll still be disappointed.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheaply Produced & Unoriginal, Shouldn't been made.
thegemte1 October 2019
So think Aliens, planet a colony to save, then think Resident Evil first film, the labs, etc. Except done on a small budget.... At one point we were saying the enemy looked like power ranger villains from the 90's. Now you can go they had a budget...blown on rubbish CGI scenery effects in the last 20 minutes. Abomination, through and through. Not that I expected any better, it's a game turned movie. But there are much better things to watch than this.
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible video game adaptation.
cruise015 October 2019
Doom: Annihilation (1 out of 5 stars).

Doom: Annihilation is a terrible video game adaptation of the series which does not do anything to improve from 2005 Doom movie. This film really makes other video game adaptations movies like 2005 Doom feel like a masterpiece or even the Resident Evil movie series is well done. Doom Annihilation is a poor adaptation of the game. The script and direction is laughable bad and cheesy. The dialogue is horrible. The story is generic of the premise with nothing more to it. Besides scientists at UAC opened up a portal releasing the monster looking things from the game that throws fireballs at the people and infecting nearby scientists into zombie like things.

The plot is generic. Besides a rescue squad of soldiers going into the laboratory to discover that incident and trying to contain. The ending is even worse if it is trying to end for a sequel but it is cheesy.

The script is terrible with bad dialogue. The soldiers seemed more amateurs as a team than being professional. The direction is horrible with dull action sequences. And characters making stupid decisions. I really did miss the first person shooting sequence in 2005 Doom movie which was well done.

The acting is horrible with a cast of unknown actors. The visual effects are low budget terrible. The games animation seemed more realistic.

Overall, Doom: Annihilation is one of the worst films ever. The action, direction, acting, and plot is just one of those bad adaptations of the game.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet another Doom movie failure
marulez3 October 2019
Not only it was a too much focused on feminism but the story itself didn't respect the original story of Doom 3 or Doom 2016 or any other doom game for that matter. Did the producers think that they are better than the writers of the story to change it?? Arrogance... They learned no lesson from the first Doom 2005 movie. That movie changed the demons with people infected with some viruses. Now this Doom changed the epic DOOM GUY with a Doom woman and on top of that, not once does anyone in the entire movie refer to the demons as demons or to the portals as Hell. On the contrary, they are portrayed as some sort of aliens from another planet. Wow just wow.... had they respected the original story, despite the low budget, it could have been a better film with a higher rating and thus higher profits.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Doom is not related to the Doom in 2005. Phew.. I'm glad for that..
ahao761 October 2019
At 1st i was so disappointed in this movie thinking it's a sequel to the Doom in 2006 but after i go do some checking it is not.. So just treat this as a new movie.. It's quite bad script, bad acting and nothing special.. The aliens are quite funny in a bad way.. They shoot off fireball like Ryu and Ken in the Street Fighter.. I was shocked seeing this.. (In a bad way) Total madness.. Who thought of this silly, lame and ridiculous idea?! They try make the male actors look weak in here.. There is this scene the guy got a hard slap in the face for no good reason by one of the female actor.. (I don't know who their names are and i don't care) Feminism agenda again spoiling this movie making it worse.. So don't take this movie too seriously.. Overall not worth watching..
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insulting...
milan037-959-5115493 October 2019
Me before watching: Hey, I didn't know this exists; Me after watching: I wish i never knew this existed;

It's a big insult for a DOOM franchise, and this SJ bul... has to stop.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ITS DOOMED
steveo77772 October 2019
Absolute trash.bad writing bad acting, apart from main scientist. Give this garbage a miss or waste your time. Its your choice.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes!
joseph-boik1 October 2019
Despite the things that were wrong with the first Doom movie with Dwayne Johnson, I actually enjoyed it overall. This one...had almost everything wrong with it. While they did get the hell dimension and the look of some of the baddies mostly accurate, it was just not good.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DOOMed from the start
Nathanieljamesgross1 October 2019
Aside from the chainsaw scene and Betruger the rest of this movie was absolutely horrendous (the two positives I said deserve at least an 8/10 but everything else deserves nothing higher than a 2/10)
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie ever
jojor-288121 October 2019
I saw it a while ago. Worst and Ugly movie ever. Bad Story, Bad Concept, Bad actions, and more. And the main thing is, Outstanding bad ending of this movie.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.