Escaping the Madhouse: The Nellie Bly Story (TV Movie 2019) Poster

Nellie Bly
unonjacke20 January 2019
The tragedy of Lifetime's presentation of Nellie Bly's story of her time in the insane asylum on Blackwell's Island is that reality of what happened to her and chronicalled in her book '10 Days in the Madhouse' is far more interesting than the fictionalized account presented in the film. What Nellie Bly did was remarkable and lead to significant reforms in the way things were done. Truth is frequently more interesting than fiction.
24 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most fictional bio I've ever seen
micalclark20 January 2019
Somehow Lifetime took a courageous, strong willed, highly intelligent journalist who risked her life going undercover to expose a broken mental health system ... and turned her into an amnesia victim with a contrived romance to her psychiatrist who needed another lover to swoop in at the last minute to rescue her. Nellie Bly is rolling over in her grave.

The only reason this isn't one star is that some of performers did a decent job in their roles. Pretty sure the writers and director never read Bly's book or any other bio that did any research at all on the subject. Maybe got their info from Wikipedia and made up the rest to turn this into an almost entirely fictional story.
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable and historically inaccurate
johnbins-117-39669421 January 2019
Made by Lifetime TV, "Television for Women." But, unfortunately, the facts about the courageous Nellie Bly and her fight for patient rights are not a part of tis film. Watchable.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good enough
alyssafflovex20 January 2019
The best part of this movie was the fact that it made me go look up Nellie Bly and try and learn what really happened. The acting was decent and it was entertaining. I am disappointed, after learning what a bad ass Nellie Bly was, that the creators went the "damsel in distress" route. Nonetheless, a good watch for this snowy day.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bore
wexfordlass23 March 2019
Why Hollywood would take an exceptional chronicle written by Nellie Bly and turn it into a pathetic presentation is beyond me. Her book "10 Days In A Madhouse" offers far more in the way of graphic detail of abuse than the movie does and it does not in any way romanticize the days she spent on Blackwell's Island in the asylum. I found the movie overly played and, frankly, boring.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 10 star movie.
fuzzylogic-0011320 January 2019
I'm shocked at the 3 reviews so far, since I found this movie to be mesmerizing. I couldn't leave the room, even during commercials, because I was afraid I'd miss something. Wonderful acting, especially by Judith Light and Christina Ricci.. It's a movie I'll definately watch again.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ONE OF THE BEST LIFETIME MOVIES
louis619-121-85154820 January 2019
Finally a good Lifetime Movie and not the typical sensationalism garbage. Five Stars.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best LT movies I've seen
dizzylou8182 February 2019
I think this was a really interesting movie that kept my attention throughout. It wasn't sappy, cheesy or overly dramatic. I liked that it was based on a true store, even if it wasn't completely accurate. A great cast of characters and loved the two main actress' , Light and Ricci.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's okay by Lifetime standards
pmtelefon20 January 2019
I spend many Saturday nights watching Lifetime movies. They're usually okay. They're usually about some bad husband or bad boyfriend. They usually have an attractive cast. They're also not shy about cleavage. That usually gets me through most of their movies. There's none of that in this one (bummer). "Escaping the Madhouse: The Nellie Bly Story" is made watchable by the always dreamy Christina Ricci. Unfortunately, this movie is pretty forgettable.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie
eduaranguren1710 August 2019
Is an entertaining movie loosely based on the real story, yes that's right, but I rather prefer a not so accurate story because it's a movie after all. If you want to know about the real story, just read the book and stop complaining about the "mistakes" the writer supposedly did with the film.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bravo for going into the past, Lifetime.
phd_travel28 January 2019
This expose of dreadful conditions in a lunatic asylum conditions in 19th Century New York is well acted and partly fascinating. Kudos to Lifetime for going into historical territory - lots of good stories to be told.

Judith Light is memorable as the evil woman in charge. Josh Bowman plays a good doctor trying to better their conditions. He looks right in 19th C garb. The main character is played by Christina Ricci and her strange face is suitable for the eerie setting.

If things seem to be getting monotonous there is an unforeseeable twist and the ending is interesting.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable!
davidsanchez-4766725 March 2019
I really liked this movie it kept me engaged all the way to the end. I was wondering the whole movie what was happening and how it would end. I didn't know it was based on a true story so it made it more interesting.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good but it could be better
realart_ds16 August 2019
A decent movie, much more could be done with this story, one would expect to experience the anguish and despair of attempt after attempt to escape, from an agony in life, but it was too subtle and smooth how this story took, good costumes good atmosphere of time but the important thing story leaves much to be desired. perhaps another director a little more involved in psychological or horror plots would have given a better line to the story.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.