Rafiki (2018) Poster

(2018)

An African Classic
uaejon11 May 2018
Lets remember this is an African production so look beyond the occasional lack of big budget filming. This film has a great story and keeps you watching until the end which is more than can be said for many Hollywood movies. Kudos to all involved and the fact Kenyan authorities have chosen to ban it suggests they fear how good this films moral lessons actually is.
43 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Open your heart or not?
Avwillfan8926 June 2019
When your community and your family are against what you truly are, do you conform to their demands or do you fight for what you truly believe?

This is the question that Rafiki asks - the first Kenyan film to openly portray a same sex relationship. These things have been seen in other films around the globe before. But every society has a story to tell.

The film is colourful, well acted, thoughtful and sympathetic to its subject matter, despite it still being a crime in Kenya. Top marks for everyone involved in making such a brilliant movie. And making it available everywhere in the world.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An audacity for hope
chong_an7 September 2018
In Kenya, not only is homosexuality illegal, the clergy routinely preaches against it, and the general population is against it. So things get tricky when 2 young women become friends (Rafiki, apparently, means friend), and then lovers. One complication is that their fathers are running for political office against each other. Meanwhile, the dress-allergic Kena's divorced mother's big dream is to see Kena marry a doctor, while Ziki points out that Kena has good enough marks to become a doctor herself.

Seen at the Toronto International Film Festival, the director pointed out that Rafiki was banned in Kenya for being "too hopeful". The camerawork and music gives a good feel for some section of Nairobi, but the leads (even with an acting coach) do show their inexperience.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PURE DYNAMITE ALL THROUGH
johnlejeune12 November 2018
I'm only watching this in November and I can't believe it has eluded me all this while. It draws you in from the first second and you completely forget everything else till its over, then you wish it wasn't. 😘 I loved it and I can not believe it has been banned 😥... Has it really?
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning, simply stunning
emmebutton8 November 2018
I can see this quickly becoming a modern lesbian Romeo and Juliet story, and the more African films in the public eye the better.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Many Respects an 8 Star
westsideschl2 September 2019
Given the horrendous murders, beatings, discriminations against LGBTQ in many African countries & especially so in those where the Christian & Islamic influences are strong it was courageous for this production crew & actors to expose the hatred. Our lead actors had little to no acting experience & did a credible job. The only negative is that it didn't show how deadly serious this issue is.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poignant Kenyan Drama
larrys320 August 2019
Set in Kenya, Samantha Mugatsia and Sheila Munyiva star here as Kena and Ziki respectively. The two young women fall in love and begin a lesbian relationship. Ironically, their fathers are each candidates in an upcoming local election.

However, in Kenya, gay relationships are not only forbidden but illegal as well. If Kena and Ziki naively thought that their families or the people in their small town would just let them be, they were sorely mistaken. When their relationship becomes public, things will take a very dark turn for all involved.

I thought this was a most poignant drama filled with rich and real characters. It also has extremely colorful cinematography. I'd be most interested in seeing the next film of co-writer and director Wanuri Kahiu.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful tragic love story
passtheduchy-6613712 April 2019
I just thought it was great, it held my attention all the way through, lack of budget and Hollywood stars wasn't an issue at all, I even since learnt one of the main characters never acted before in her life so that was a total shock to me.

The director did really well to seek out the right talent she needed for this movie, in a way I feel that is what makes this film even more authentic, real Africans telling their own stories.

It's a real shame Kenya banned the movie but the band was lifted for 7 days in thos 7 days it sold out completely.

I really do feel if this movie gets the support it deserves and maybe win some awards they will have no choice but to lift the ban in kenya and hopefully change some of their laws in regards to freedom of expression.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful but shallow
mokono25 November 2018
It's a beautiful movie with a strong and important political and societal message. It's also a movie with very cliché characters and no real development. The story seems really just an excuse to add a little drama to the main romance, but is even too flimsy to accomplish anything. Does the political message lose its strength? Well, the movie did get banned, so it did enough.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful but oh so predictable
starfall55513 June 2019
Rafiki, over and above it's central premise of a same sex romance, portrays a slice of working class Kenyan life masterfully. But apart from that, the story and the characters are not given enough time on screen to enable the story to make an impact, and the ending is all too obvious - but maybe that's the point. A good attempt second half failed to hold my attention
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must See!
debrobins18 January 2020
Beautiful and Moving! I loved every second. I hate to cry when I watch movies, but it was more than worth it for this one. One of my new favorites!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The scary truth revealed.
veerleameyaw22 December 2019
Someone had recommended this movie to me so i watched this movie 1 week ago. I saw some interviews with the director, and she said: Love is love it doesn't matter if it's with the same race.

Since it is a tabou in Africa, I am glad she is brave enough to break this tabou thanks to making this movie.

I enjoyed every second of this movie, it was deep, shocking and interesting to watch!
I Enjoyed it!
cmrosado-260-7761965 August 2019
Congratulations on your movie. I just want to say that i watched a very similar movie some months ago. It's spanish and it's called Carmen & Lola, the love between two gipsy girls. Almost the same story and just like yours, a good movie too.