An Impossible Love (2018) Poster

A gripping film
markbernd13 January 2019
I saw this film in London yesterday and loved it. The story takes place in France in the late 50's. It is about love that is subverted by extreme selfishness and class difference, about shifting attitudes and emotions and about reconciliation. Corsini's direction is understated, and the acting of all the leads is very convincing. The film is over two hours long and I wasn't bored for a second.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
acananook14 October 2018
Brilliant Film- one of the best independents I have ever seen. Beaurifully written, acted and directed. I truly believe this is a must see!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiled by the one-note villain
euroGary24 October 2018
"An Impossible Love" may or may not be based on a true story - according to Wikipedia it is not clear whether or not Christine Angot's source novel "L'Inceste" is fiction.

Typist Rachel meets translator Philippe in small-town 1950s France. Even on their first date there are signs he considers himself a cut above her: he suggests she should read Nietzsche. But he is charming, handsome, and Rachel finds him fascinating. A passionate affair ensues, but when Rachel finds herself pregnant Philippe declares he will not marry her and disappears out of Rachel's life for years at a time, not even making any financial contribution to baby Chantal's upkeep until she is a teenager. But despite his caddish treatment of her (which includes marrying another woman when he also knocks her up because she, unlike Rachel, comes from a rich family), he is always able to convince Rachel to welcome him back to her bed - until his ultimate betrayal. Years later, Chantal has grown into an unpleasantly self-centered individual and Rachel has new conflict with which to deal.

The problem with this film is Philippe is such a pantomime villain - superior, selfish, irresponsible and cruel, he has no redeeming features at all. If he is indeed based on a real person who did what Philippe does in the film, it would have been difficult for director/co-screenwriter Catherine Corsini to make him sympathetic, but it detracts from what is otherwise a very grounded story when one of the major characters is such a cardboard cut-out. Niels Schneider does what he can with the role, but inevitably is constrained by the limited dimensions of the character he must portray. Belgian actress Virginie Efira, as the mumsy Rachel, has more with which to play and delivers a likeable performance. There's also a very nice turn from Estelle Lescure as the teenaged Chantal.

Seen at the 2018 London Film Festival.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing performances
acheampongwamekwame12 July 2019
An impeccable film held together by astonishing performances and a very understated direction. I don't know if I am biased because French is my first language, but I found the film so incredibly real. Even at the lengthy runtime, I barely felt it. Corsini is at the top of their career with this film!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crush test with yourself to test your limits
e-angelou18 May 2019
The plot is overloaded with all sorts of personal, psychological, familial malfunctions. It ends up tiring you rather than entertain or make one think. The development of the characters is a bit predictable even though they have many different hardships to undergo. The acting is excellent without an exception and the aesthetics of the film is brilliant. I'd say it's like a crush test for yourself to see how you'll react and what you think intuitively about all that's going on.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.