My Spy (2020) Poster

(2020)

We enjoyed it
JohnSnow956 August 2020
Honestly it wasn't that bad. I think maybe it's being reviewed too seriously. It's a light-hearted feel good film that has a few genuine laughs and isn't as cringe as "kid spy" movies tend to be. We watched it on Amazon Prime due to the virus but I imagine it would have been better to watch with other people in theaters.

My only gripe was the unnecessary bad language. Repeatedly hearing b***h and s**t in the Cardi B song when it only takes 30 seconds to use the clean version for a movie that's marketed to kids and young families.
33 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seems underrated by many
UniqueParticle21 July 2020
Pleasantly surprised by how smooth and entertaining My Spy is! Originally wanted to see in the theater glad it's available on Amazon prime. Very funny, delightful throughout, and well paced; I'd definitely watch again! Dave Beautisa is quite cool I think it's awesome he's been trending in the last few years or so. Cool how cute it is in many bits and has a glow with the cinematography.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Spy is an entertaining yet well-known espionage family comedy.
movieman6-413-92951014 March 2020
My Spy is a new family action comedy directed by Peter Segal, the director of Get Smart and Tommy Boy.

The film is about the ex-military JJ (Dave Bautista), who after his time in the army now tries to work as a CIA agent. During his missions he still works too much as a soldier. The CIA does not get the necessary information and decides to use JJ for undercover operation. JJ now has to spy on mother Kate (Parise Fitz-Henley) and her young daughter Sophie (Chloe Coleman) in the hope that her arms trade partner contacts his family. JJ is soon discovered by the clever nine-year-old Sophie, who promises to share nothing about his secret mission with the rest of the world. In return, JJ has to train her on how to become a spy herself.

This movie has his amusing moments about how a young girl can outsmart a novice CIA agent. This aspect has come up before in other films such as the Arnold Schwarzenegger film Kindergarden Cop. For people familiar with such films, this film can quickly become predictable. The script clearly shows the bond between JJ and young Sophie, but the film concentrates a bit too much on this band at a time. For example, the aspect of the secret arms trade is somewhat canceled. The scenes that pass here seem a bit like separate scenes from a completely different film. These different aspects only come together at the end of the film, but otherwise seem to have little in common.

The comedy moments are also somewhat predictable if you are familiar with these kinds of comedy movies. Dave Bautista comes across as a budding CIA agent who doesn't yet know how to best handle his job. While it seems a bit unbelievable that the CIA is discovered by a nine-year-old girl and she manages to outsmart them, these moments make for the best comedy in the movie. For a novice young actress, Chloe Coleman does good and appropriate acting in this film. The better known comedy actors such as Kristen Schaal and Ken Jeong still have more of a cameo in this film and only have a few small comic moments.
51 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clumsy Spy, Frumpy Spy, A Little Girl Spy, And Cute Dog What's Not To Like?
STEVE24BUS11 April 2020
Another wrestler on the big screen playing the typecast action hero. This film plays all the cliches and stays on safe ground to keep the kids watching, and they will. We've seen it all before, but it's watchable with some funny moments, plenty of action, but the show stealer with the best lines , for me anyway is his less than glamorous partner. Not an Oscar winner, but very watchable for what it is.
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly pleasant.
SnobReviews10 April 2020
"My Spy" is nothing original but still manages to be filled with action, sweet at its core and entertaining. . In this action-comedy, a CIA operative finds himself at the mercy of a 9-year-old girl, having been sent undercover to surveil her family. . While we've all seen this genre of film before, "My Spy" stays away from being a "family friendly" movie and goes more for stylized action and mild cursing. It's worth the watch just to see Dave Bautista and Chloe Coleman together. They're cute, fun and Coleman is great. For a night in quarantine, this easy going flick is a safe bet for young and old. . Follow @snobmedia for more reviews!
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A by-the-book "super-spy meets little girl w/hot mom" movie
srdjan_veljkovic17 April 2020
It's pretty formulaic. It's pretty predictable. Thus, not very interesting.

But, it has its moments. Most jokes are formulaic and predictable, but, quite a few are not and work well. I best like spoofing "Mission Impossible", it's a wonder people don't do it more, it's so ripe for spoofing. There's not enough of these good jokes to make this a good comedy, but, enough to make it acceptable.

While the girl isn't as cute as she thinks she is, she actually plays the "smart & cocky" girl pretty well and her interaction w/Bautista works well. Her mom fits the "hot mom" part very well; she doesn't act it very well, though, but, just good enough.

The boss is pretty lame, the quirky nerd-partner doesn't really work... It's best to stop exploring the weaknesses, they quickly pile up.

Focusing on the good parts, if you like such action comedies, this will be a nice, comfortable experience. Otherwise, skip it.
48 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun little movie for the evening
Jonah_R6 March 2020
Ok, first of all you shouldn't have to high expectations when going into this movie, because if you do, you will probably get dissapointed...

But let's be real. If you only need a fun and simple movie, without a twistet story you need to stay focused on, then it is a fun little movie where you can just turn your brain of and enjoy it.

The story is fairly simple, sometimes even predictable, there aren't any big moments you will still remember in a few years, there is no 'real espionage action" which you might hope for and of course you could have done more with it. And I must be honest. I myself expected something a bit different from this movie in the beginning and by the trailers. But I like what it is. I can enjoy the charackters and their interactions, I can laugh at a lot of the jokes, and I can simply sit here and enjoy the simple story, without the need to figure out what is happening and I think this is something you could need on a bad day.

So If you want a fun and little movie for your evening after a hard day or for you and your Family, this movie might be worth a Shot.
69 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know what you are getting but it's still entertaining
coombsstephen14 March 2020
This is a standard feel good film and it's not hard to work out how is going to go and how it's going to end, but that doesn't really detract from the enjoyment.

The was not as much action as I expected but there was more depth and better acting than I expected as well.

All in all this isnt a high brow, complicated, Oscar winning movie but it is a decent feel good film that works for adults and kids.
43 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved all of the Emotions in one Movie!
slanker1257 February 2020
I saw this movie with my 4 daughters and we all Loved it! We are not professional movie reviewers or anything like that but absolutely enjoyed all the different emotions in this movie, it was Charming, Comical, Witty, Action Packed, Heart Warming, Suspenseful, and more! We also loved the relationship between David Batista & Chloe Coleman..... just Precious, and their performances charming! There was some violence and language but nothing bloody or disgusting.
78 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Typical Heart warmer
sala15118315 March 2020
Your typical heart warming comedy-drama, you've seen it all before but still it's ok to watch a film like this sometimes. The cringe moments are possibly the better moments in the film, seeing Dave Bautista dance is a highlight. Haha I could waste time on criticism here but I don't see the point, the film isn't terrible but it's just ok at times. I sort of knew what I was going to see.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that bad
howhigh-3667030 January 2020
Jj and bobbi make for a good laugh. Has its moments
34 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and entertaining
trinaboice12 March 2020
IN A NUTSHELL: A massive, burly spy and a precocious, adorable 4th grader. Sounds like a comedic match we have seen many times before (movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne Johnson), yet the funny formula still works. At least, it did for me, my husband, and the majority of the audience who watched a press screening of this spy comedy last night. The movie isn't exactly "Fifty shades of amazing" as one of the character says in the film, but it was still super entertaining and made my tired husband laugh MANY times. That's a huge compliment and endorsement of this spy comedy. We both thought it was cute and enjoyable, despite the many negative reviews we've seen online.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: A surprising amount of profanity for a family-friendly flick. Some crude language. Lots of violence with a high dead body count. You see a severed head fly by in slow motion, a man get a knife thrown into his leg, tons of people get shot or blown up, hand-to-hand combat, and a variety of weapons. Two gay men who live together play a large role as neighbors to Sophie. Sophie assumes Bobbi is a lesbian, which is never confirmed, nor denied. Tons of pop culture references to things young kids may not know anything about like "Queer Eye" Brawny Towels, Waze, and lots of older movies. The movie really seems more tailored to older viewers than as a kids' movie.

THINGS I LIKED: Dave Bautista was never on my radar until I first saw him in Guardians of the Galaxy (Theatrical). I LOVE those movies. I'm such a fan of his now and want him to do well in movies like his professional wrestler mentor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Dave Bautista seems up for anything and is willing to take some heavy hits and look goofy. Good for him. There is only one obvious body-double moment in the movie when he's ice skating; otherwise, that seems to really be him getting knocked all over the place. Chloe Coleman is fantastic. I've never watched Big Little Lies. She's occasionally annoying in the movie, but mostly totally adorable. Kristen Schaal almost always plays a quirky, likable character. She's definitely a highlight in this movie with some of the funniest lines in the cast. Ken Jeong is always a crowd pleaser, although he usually plays super nasty, crass characters in comedies. I'm happy to announce that he was perfectly clean, although it surprised me that e was used more as a straight man, rather than the funny man that he always is. I've been watching him lately on THE MASKED SINGER and he seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang with who genuinely loves to laugh at anything, including himself. Because I love movies so much, I always get a kick out of movies that reference or quote other movies. In this funny flick, there were tons of shout-outs to other films, such as Iron Man 2, Notting Hill, E.T.,The Extra-Terrestrial, Mission: Impossible, Shrek, and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark I know action sequences in slow motion are super cliche, but I love them anyway. The ones in this movie always got a laugh from the audience. The music choices supported the comedy and were even the focus of some comedic moments. I'm completely obsessed with Alexa, so I love that Dave Bautista had one too. Tons of physical gags that made me laugh out loud like the blinking lesson or when Bobbi started doing bicep curls with her tiny water bottle after watching JJ curl massive water tanks. I always love a good training sequence. A cute twist. I love twists and surprises.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: Some painfully corny dialogue. Some people have been complaining that the film doesn't know what it wants to be: action, comedy, coming-of-age, rom-com, or spy movie. It really was all of those things. I think it has to do with expectations. I expected a comedy with a spy setting, so that's what I saw. You watch Bobbi throw up. Ick. Did they spray paint the top of Dave Bautista's head or was that his actual hair? It was super distracting and seemed to be the wrong color. Super predictable. Some of the acting by side characters is not very good, particularly the other kids. Hey, they're kids. All of the explosions with fire had really fake-looking CGI. For a spy movie, there were no super cool, new gadgets. Everything was very old-school. The rolling credits at the end of the movie just showed clips from the movie, nothing new. I love it when comedies include after-credit scenes to extend the laughter that everyone came to the movie to enjoy. There are some plot holes, but this movie is not trying to be a serious spy movie, so don't worry about them

You can watch the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel!
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Cliche
Arcturus-Tarf19 April 2020
It is be useful for the easy time passing or glancing to it while doing something else. But even the movie is aware that it uses every cliche of a spy and a child topic to create something "new". I find the emotional stuff very poor/lame. I was excited to watch but the actors and the scenario left not much to desire.
34 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mediocre film that (poorly) combines actors with a limited range with poor writing.
slk-182-97906613 March 2020
Bautista is a great comedy straight man and Schaal (can be) hilarious. And indeed, the funniest scenes are between those two. Unfortunately poor writing leaves this film wanting. Instead of JJ coming across as the (intended) emotionally distant, he just comes across as stupid. Instead of funny, a lot of the comedic scenes are just (in the words of my 10 year old) "cringy" . This awkwardness may in part be because the movie seems to be distorting the plot and dialogue to show off how woke they are. They cram in jokes designed for social commentary, but they aren't funny and just suck any humour out of the mostoment. News flash, there's a difference between coming across as progressive and coming across as lecturing. Guess which side of the line this film is on.
44 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very creative but funny
jossbegert-1118625 February 2020
A good movie for familys kids but also adults can have fun with this movie
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light and entertaining
ndaylilez11 April 2020
Cutest movie ever. Upbeat and funny, no drugs or torture scenes for a change. An upper instead of a depressing downer.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hilarious
HorrorFlickFanatic18 July 2020
I enjoyed it. I found the film hilarious. Dave Bautista does comedy pretty well. Dr. Ken Jeong is already a comedy legend. Kristen Schaal cracks me up. Chloe Coleman is an adorable child. I have seen Chloe in other good TV streaming shows and I loved them in all. I first saw her in HBO's Big Little Lies with Nichole Kidman. I think she will have a long and successful career in show business. I would really like to see a sequel. Great job Amazon.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little silly.
coonoocoo27 June 2020
This movie is a little bit silly but, I'd rather watch this kind of movie than a discussing rated R movies that uses the F word in every sentence! IT WAS CUTE AND FUNNY!
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Two Cents for Your Lame Spy
A-Finn17 March 2020
At first, I thought this would be--at least--as decent as Paul Feig's Spy (2015): decent story, standout and likable characters, quite intense action with a pretty smooth plot, good drama, an action comedy that is actually funny and entertaining. Turns out I was wrong. I am so disappointed.

This one is lame, script writing-wise. I only like the idea of the bond between two main characters yet unfortunately the execution is mediocre. Everything else is just boring, predictable cheesy drama, not even close to being a solid action comedy. Dave Bautista is a good actor. I like him (his performance) best in Blade Runner 2049 (2017). But not in this spy thingy.

I wonder what Peter Segal thought when he read the lame script and why he'd accept it in the first place. I feel sorry for him. I like his 'more entertaining' work in Get Smart (2008).

I give my generous 3 stars for the warm lil family vibe--despite its predictable cliche.
32 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite a nice spy!
seedoeatreview20 January 2020
So as the school holidays comes to an end in Australia we finish off with yet another release of a children's film. The funny part is that it's a bit like a recipe, as it contains parts of all the other films I've reviewed already these summer holidays! You take the machismo of Playing with Fire, add the silliness of Farmageddon, plus a touch of heart from Frozen 2, not forgetting some funny one-liners from Jumanji, finish it off with some espionage from Spies in Disguise, garnish it with the child-friendly action of Star Wars and you have a perfectly satisfying film called My Spy. Mr. 9 and I ate it up (and reviewed it) last week when we saw it at Palace Nova cinemas!

JJ (Dave Bautista) is an undercover CIA agent who is not exactly inconspicuous. After a weapons deal goes horribly wrong he is assigned to surveillance duty with tech-specialist Bobbi (Kristen Schaal). Their job is to keep an eye on a mother and daughter who may be in danger if a global terrorist finds out where they live. But JJ isn't exactly qualified for surveillance duty and it's not long before he is caught out by clever 9 year old Sophie (Chloe Coleman), the girl he is supposed to be watching. The two work out an arrangement where Sophie won't tell her mum Kate (Parisa Fitz-Henley) that they are being watched, but only if JJ teaches Sophie how to become a spy. The two don't exactly get along but over time a friendship develops, much to the chagrin of Bobbi who knows that this is a serious breach of the CIA surveillance rules. But, as expected, trouble inevitably finds its way into Sophie and Kate's life and we are left to see whether the spy training that JJ gave this precocious 9 year old will succeed or fail spectacularly.

THE GOOD For a film like this, with a storyline that has been done to death plenty of times before, I was actually surprised at how much I liked My Spy. But my enjoyment didn't come so much from former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy, Stuber) but the confidence and acting ability of kid actor Chloe Coleman (Big Little Lies). In a lot of these 'kids teaching adults to be kids' films the child usually comes across as bratty and unlikeable but Coleman finds a great balance of clever, likeable and entertaining which Mr. 9 and I really found appealing. Also when you have a great comedy support cast like Kristen Schaal (Gravity Falls, Toy Story 4) and Ken Jeong (The Hangover movies) the laughter also lifts a notch too. Mr.9: I really liked Sophie in this film when she is learning to become a spy. The part where she keeps looking at the explosions behind her was really funny because JJ had to keep turning her head around.

THE BAD Bautista seems to have found his niche in Hollywood at taking characters who are large, muscle-bound, meat heads with not much going on upstairs. Alongside professional comedians like Schaal and Jeong his comedic acting can sometimes be painful to watch as he tries to compete with them for laughs but comes across more forced than natural. And for those of you looking for an action film this is not entirely the case with My Spy. Although it is bookended with big, action, set pieces it is more a romantic comedy as much of the film is taken up with telling the story of JJ's budding friendship with Sophie and finding a possible love interest with her mum, Kate.

Mr. 9: It got really boring in the middle because there was no action happening. The bad guy was there at the start and then disappeared until the end of the film. It seemed different from what the trailer showed.

THE UGLY For those of you who are familiar with Dave Bautista you would know that he is bald up top. Yet for some unknown reason the hair and makeup team decided to either spray paint or put a toupee on top of his head which is jet black and extremely short. It looks so unnatural and left me staring at the top of his head for most of the movie. Somewhat in shock and somewhat in fascination I couldn't stop looking at this unusual follicle choice.

I didn't have high hopes for My Spy after seeing the trailer but walked out pleasantly surprised at how a completely unoriginal film could be so enjoyable. Bautista's charm and Coleman's likeability really carry this film above 'just another comedy'. An enjoyable film to finish off the school holidays!

THREE AND A HALF TOUPEES OUT OF FIVE

Mr. 9: All the spy stuff was fun and the movie was also pretty funny although it had a lot of swearing for a 'PG' film. Three and a half out five.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same story again and again and again
markthomassintek20 March 2020
REVIEW - MY SPY

A spy and his tech partner get assigned to watch a mother and daughter because they may have information related to a neuclier device. That's the story out of the way (well sort of), unfortunately the spy gets involved with the daughter and then meets the mother and after 1 hour and 20 minutes of this finally the action begins for the last 10 minutes.

Sorry to say but this film just got extremely boring very quickly as the story is very predictable, after reading the above you can probably guess most of it.

Definitely not one for the grown ups to sit through while the kids start to fidget in their seats.

Way too long, not very exciting and honestly nothing new, just the same story re hashed again and again and again.

Rating 5 out of 10
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much what you'd expect
cardsrock4 July 2020
I probably would give this a lower rating if not for Dave Bautista's continued acting improvement. He is quickly becoming the best wrestler-turned-actor in Hollywood. He is charismatic throughout and carries most of this predictable, but sweet family film.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good sentimentality comedy based on "Kindergarten Cop" formula
akcenat13 May 2020
"My Spy" is cute & silly (family) comedy perfect for kids of a certain age and adults alike. What makes this film watchable is the solid comedy performance by Dave Bautista, while its tale of espionage meets daddy-day care is well handled. It won't blow you away, because it is predictable and repetitive, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good time for a lazy afternoon. Ultimately, "My Spy" feels like it's a relic from the 90s, yet it is the light distraction during corona lock-down, though overall it likely wouldn't be something I'd view again.

Rating: 6
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great for mature kids
frl891 March 2020
A friend gave me early access tickets to go see this with my daughter for her birthday.

I've got to say we thought it was hilarious, but it's not a movie for critics or someone who is not comfortable with having their kids hear cuss words. As for me and my daughter it was great. It has a little bit of a romcom vibe, mixed with an unconventional mentor mentee relationship with action scenes. Sophie and JJ's relationship is adorable! Also loved that Ken Jeong (The Hangover) makes a small appearance in this too!

Great movie to take your mature kids to. We plan on buying it once it comes out for purchase.
22 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie, but way too much language for a 'kids' movie
tuwawah5 August 2020
What audience is this for? I wouldn't let my 8 & 10 yr olds see this (because of the excessive language and adult themes) and I don't think it'd entertain anyone 13-18, so who is this made for exactly?

Take 80% of the language out of this and it'd be just as funny. It'd also be FAR more kid friendly! I would've given it a 7 without all the language. But as it is I'll give it a 5.

Really likes DB in this and the girl was awesome too. Just excessive content for NO reason.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.