Marionette (2020) Poster

(2020)

Good actors, good atmosphere. Not for people who can't stand slow movies
bart-sluijter2 October 2020
Many weak points, like the riciculous opening scene, and the slow pace, but overall an entertaining movie. The pace helps to create a nice atmosphere. Good acting, especially by Elijah Wolf and Thekla Reuten. There's all sorts of philosphy in this movie, like Schrödinger's cat, free will, and hints about parallel universes. Very interesting if you've never heard of it. But it's obviously used to distract the viewer from what's really going on.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to dumb critics
eventlaunch26 September 2020
This is a movie you need to watch thoroughly to enjoy its a little slow here and there but mostly the pacing is great story is amazing
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating
hampersnow-2890520 September 2020
This little mystery/thriller opens well and then takes you on a ride that is fascinating and at times thrilling. Well shot, with a great script and top-notch performances, Thekla Reutan shines as a psychiatrist mesmerized by what is going on in the head of a child patient, and as she is sucked into his world, so is the viewer into the movie. What is so great about this movie is it's many layers and the questions it asks about life itself. This is a movie you watch, feel and think about later. The filmmakers have the atmosphere just right and the casting is perfect. If you are expecting fast paced, this is not it but the movie is a great ride, never boring and had me intrigued as to what would happen next. Very well done on every level.
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great great great story
wafababdel129 September 2020
Don't listen to critics .. i don't give 8 to any movie only if i really enjoy it.... what a clever idea ... bravoooo.....
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Than Expected
oaklep26 September 2020
A similar premise to The Medusa Touch (1978) this had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. I enjoyed the fact that the cast is unknown to me, rather than rolling out the same old faces. Entertaining, well-acted and compelling.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A success
ladharimahmoud27 September 2020
A very good movie and interesting thriller. It brings up a lot of questions and dwelling on thoughts and mysteries about the unknown and will provoke your mind with an open ended closure that will leave you to your own personal speculations and belief. There are no twists in this movie nor frightening moments...the success of this movie stems from dealing with a "real" mystery about our existance and our experience of consciousness.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
you spin me right round baby right round...
ops-5253520 September 2020
Like a record of psyciatric inuendos, where the plot and story is so complexed that it hypnotized the grumpy old man into somnolentia, its like a film emerging from a film of anotherfilm about a woman and her seriuous patient case, or was she the case herself, and the whole production goes from dark grey cold , wet and mysterious a time that even i could analyze the problem, then the visionaries become farther and darker in a dreamlike nightmare where dead ressurects and and the complexity of the story turned into a catnap for me, then when you think the flick is over it spins of again, now in a whitish world, and you may now get a glimpse of whos the real fanasizer in this story is...

my god, this dug deep into my stemcells, its not a fun ride, rather a mysterious riddle of a drawing board game its a irrational drama en masse', the filming and soundwork are good, the actors play well, but the plotspeed are slow, and playtime a bit to long for an adhd'ish perpredemented tinnitusious grumpy old man, that wont tell you to shade away from this , its just to complex for a tired mind, so be awake and ready when viewing this one.
20 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome head scratcher
omendata23 September 2020
Go into this film without any preconceived ideas and do not read my spoiler below and you are in for a fun filled, freaky thrill ride.

What an excellent sci-fi-horro-thriller this one is and no mistake. The atmosphere created is par excellence and the lush highland photography and Scottish locations add so much to the mood of the film. I had thought this was going to be just another made for TV thriller but oh how wrong I was.

The acting is top notch from all concerned; Bill Paterson is excellent in anything he touches and Peter Mullan does his usual gruff Scotsman to perfection coupled with a great leading lady this film will exceed expectations and have you thinking which is a good thing. Being Scottish myself, maybe I am a bit biased but this film does make me proud (for once) to be in Scotland!

It toys around with alternate realities, is there a god, the meaning of life...And even Schrödinger's cat makes an appearance so this should satisfy those looking for something a bit more cerebral than the usual CGI, crash, bang, wallop and it does it in spades and will keep you guessing to the end if you just let the film wash over you. Its rare for me to give more than an average 5 or above average 6 out of 10 these days but this one goes the whole hog and gets a mighty 7/10 this time.

SPOILER: The denouement will remind you of another recent film on which the crux of the story is based and its the marvellous Matthew McConaughey film Serenity (2019) but this time the location is Scotland instead of the Bahamas and it carries it off with ease!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong start and middle. Can't stick the landing.
cruzarts-7394630 September 2020
This film starts off great, loses some steam in the middle when a great deal of time is spent panicking and freaking out.

Sadly, the ending "twist" I found disappointing. Not quite the cop-out of waking up to realize it's all a dream, but I felt a similar letdown.

Elijah Wolf is a fascinating child actor and his expressive range is creepily precocious.

Lead actor Thekla Reuten is a strong performer, but the script has her repeating the same actions too often. There is one clip of her cahracter that is repeated twice. If that same kind of replay repeititon had been used -- perhaps from various angles -- it might have supported what eventually happens.

Had I watched the third act first, I wouldn't have watched the beginning or middle to get there.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop watching when you think it's over
smoke024 September 2020
Otherwise, you'll be treated to another incomprehensible mess like Serenity. Not as godawful as Serenity, but still ridiculous when you consider it's all supposed to take place in a child's mind.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnificent!!!!
nadindag12 November 2020
What a film! You can't change your destiny? Or can we change our predestination in our lives through certain choices? Do we live in a matrix? Are there alternate universes? Many questions! A slow film that makes you think about life, death, happiness, sadness, fear and guilt. A parable and metaphor. Also watch his previous film 'Two Eyes Staring', Black water.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had no idea what I was in for
stewdmx22 September 2020
I went in blind on this one. Didn't read or watch any previews. It was a great ride. Loved it.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful
JanJanuary25 October 2020
Started well but soon went downhill. In the opening scenes (with the odd font of the opening titles), we learn of the therapist coming to Scotland and meeting her colleagues and patients.

We soon learn that the new therapist is going the same way as her predecessor, in a weird and quite silly way. Way too quickly. The film, Scotland and the therapy offices are too dark. Wonderful Scotland's depicted as wet, miserable, and cold.

Story isn't new (watch the far superior Case 39), and has been done to death. We were so pleased to actually find a film that sounded watchable. Unfortunately the story got sillier and sillier with some odd changes (I can't call them twists). Things happened, then they didn't, was this real, what was going on.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising Start, All Downhill After That
loisjclark25 October 2020
This is a disappointing film, which is a shame because the cast is strong. At the beginning it looks like an interesting plot, but as the film progresses it becomes dull, repetitive and rather silly, and just doesn't hold the attention. We considered turning it off at one point but stuck with it until the end. Lots of unexplained details and woolly events. Anyone unfamiliar with Schrödinger's Cat will struggle even more with this - the concept should have been explained at the beginning but in the great scheme of things would make little difference to this reaching movie.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring.
mrjamiekevindee23 September 2020
I don't usually switch films of or lose interest, but put this film on and gave it a chance..

Unfortunately it literally just drags on and on in such a boring way.. I made it to about 3/4 then switched to something more entertaining and enjoyable...it was just way to slow and dreary and dragged out...

Wat h it yourself you'll see what I mean, also no character development hardly, didn't care about any of them as they where all so bland and flat etc..
12 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inside the mind of a child
bananaspider21 September 2020
I believe the movie that we thought it was would have been better than what it ended up being. Both scenarios are based on fantasy but the former was more science fiction/fantasy.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic film
garethhartwell3 October 2020
Brilliant film. Very clever interplay between underlying themes of quantum mechanics and religion and an excellent twist at the end which caught us out.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow but I knew the locations
imcintyre-6734530 December 2020
Slow movie. Gothic thriller that didn't work for me. Ending is interesting but too long getting there. Extra point as I work in Aberdeen and had a great time guessing the locations (got most of them right). Segments stitched together all over the place eg you don't go up Deeside to get to Portsoy from Aberdeen but hey, that's movie magic. "Wet and gloomy" is near the mark though, ha ha.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Theme is very interesting
irani-otten8 November 2020
I love the movement of the perspectives. The different viewpoints. I also love the sphere in this movie. Religion, spirituality ans mysticism. While watching it took me to different places, like existential fear and anxiety, the not knowing and the fear of losing sanity. What is illusion and what is desillusion. And how can happiness be found.

So, I did like this movie a lot. Thank you for making it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You've seen this all before. Don't bother.
imdb-29204 October 2020
I knew this movie would have everything I hate about "mystery/thriller" films. The obligatory psychiatrist who gets sucked into her patient's reality, the obligatory creepy-ass kid, and the obligatory unreliable narrator storyline, but I was an idiot and decided to watch it based on the shill reviews. What a steaming load. I could have spent this time doing something more rewarding, like scrubbing bathroom grout with a toothbrush.

The cinematography is nice, but you've seen this film a million times since the '70s. This version doesn't do anything any better, although you can entertain yourself trying to decide if the creepy-ass kid is a boy or a girl.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not waste your time
holliecrane26 January 2021
2 hours wasted movie could have had a lot better of a plot.
slow
stewartcarl30 December 2020
A bit like the medussa man,but ends up a far to slow film,with a predictable end
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good concept - Poor Execution.
rish200628 December 2020
Could have been a better film but you'll just yawn throughout.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turns out to be boring after watching it
Neptune1653 December 2020
This is some really weird thing. Why are kids such demons all the time? And why is this movie called Repression? What is being repressed? Seems more like telekinesis or some supernatural ability (or Wishmastering it into existence).
Absolutely preposterous
rosefappani4 February 2021
That's the perfect way to describe this movie, preposterous, and no because of the child "power", that is the premises of the movie and it could have been good, Not sure what they seen people who awarded it 10, I can only assume they took a shamble nonsensical storyline and made into a psychological supernatural drama. And the end, obviously I won't give anything away but I thought it was a complete cop out. The idea wasn't bad but it just developed into something preposterous and bonkers
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.