The Shed (2019) Poster

(2019)

Better than Some
fatfil-414-45179716 November 2019
I found some of the other reviews on here a bit harsh. I actually quite enjoyed this one. It certainly had a bit of a retro feel to it and was tongue in cheek at times. At times sit brought to mind the Lost Boys and Fright Night, just don't over analyse too much and enjoy the ride.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kinda cool
Teddy-Bear-Picnic19 November 2019
This one screened at some cool film festivals and had some cool people involved so my expectations were a little high but I was not entirely disapointed with the film. Some of it felt amateuish but other parts were quite interesting. I liked the kinda fresh take on vampire movies but felt that the bullying themes were a little on the nose and annoying.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Vampires
roughdom16 November 2019
This is basically a worse version of Fright Night. The production on this isn't all that bad, admittedly. The people behind this, the actors in general, they're not terrible. It's just that the idea is...far fetched, to say the least.

The film starts off with a random guy in the woods, being hunted by a vampire. He's bitten, then it IMMEDIATELY turns from night to day, vamp dies in the sun. Guy is stuck out in the sun, sees said shed, makes a run for it. All the while blatantly ignoring that many parts of his body are in bright, broad daylight, which is shown to cause severe burning and turned said first vampire into dust on the spot moments earlier.

From there, it's just basically story tropes designed to explain why the vamp stays in the shed, his eventual release from the shed, multiple vamps being created, leading to a showdown in the house one night against said vamps.

And the vamps are both fast, intelligent, and shown to be more than strong enough to break through wood and what not, but it seems to keep slowing them down regardless, and of course, said shed is made entirely of wood yet holds the main one in there just fine.

The actors in this, imo, are all quite good. They could definitely have bright futures ahead of them. They just need to stay away from productions like this.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low Budget but good lead
NicholasMCG25 November 2019
I believe this must be the first feature for this writer and director so they will continue to grow and learn and get better from this. The lead actor was great and they scored with him, he is from Death Note. The script is slow at times, very cliche and not really current with 2019 and how teenagers act. More like teenagers in the 1990s or 80s. Things are different now. If they had based the story in the 90s that would have worked better. I thought the makeup in the climax scene was very cool.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay away
alphy17 November 2019
It was just... awful. I don't want to waste another minute on this. Just wanted to warn everyone. And no, it's no "haha bad". Just bad. What did I watch? o.O
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent and enjoyable monster film
timjdavis-6930724 November 2019
People are constantly asking for original content but when Something decent comes their way, they never give it the time Of day. The shed is an original concept that's pretty decent. Sure it's not perfect but I enjoyed this film from start to finish. The film is pretty solid throughout. Decent acting, great cinematography, interesting score and the story is Alot of fun. It's never boring, the Vampire looks great and there is some cool nods to other vampire films aswell such as the lost boys. Give The Shed a go, its a film that is definitely worth a watch, especially if you are a fan of horror films.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could've been good
mvike1 January 2020
It makes me sad to give this a 4* because we don't get enough original content today...however there was just nothing special about this... you'd think a monster in a shed that can't come out would be a lot of fun, but it feels like the filmmaker didn't know what to do with this good idea....so it ends up being EXACTLY what you'd assume... all the jerks and baddies get sent to the shed one way or another...and...that's it really. It felt like it so badly wanted to be a horror comedy, but there goes there, it is played very straight.

Didn't hate it, but I did find myself skipping around, it went with a few of the "scary dream" scenes and I just find those so annoying.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The scary part ... not scare
ks-6050028 December 2019
They make the sudden appearance of the vampire face like 5 times in the first 50 minutes. But that was the boy dream... that is too repetitive and not scared at all. Plus, it was so long and nothing new in the storyline for the first one hour. Cut the crap pls.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
Draysan-Jennings22 November 2019
It was just all around bad. I thought it was going to be so bad that it was funny. But nope. That wasn't the case. Just all around stupid film. Don't bother.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable, but not overly entertaining...
paul_haakonsen16 November 2019
Granted, I had no idea what I was getting into here, aside from knowing it to be a horror movie. But given my interest in horror, of course I sat down to watch the 2019 movie "The Shed" when I was given the chance.

I will say that the movie is nicely filmed, produced and edited. But the storyline and script, however, was fairly weak and not overly interesting. Sure, the movie was watchable, but this was far from being a memorable or outstanding movie for me.

I did manage to endure writer and director Frank Sabatella's movie until the very end of the movie. However, I can't say that I was impressed, and the entertainment value for me was less than mediocre. There are far better movies readily available in the horror genre.

The acting in the movie was adequate, and I was initially somewhat thrilled to see Frank Whaley here, because that was a familiar face. In fact, that was the only familiar face for me in the movie. Jay Jay Warren and Cody Kostro carried the movie well enough with their performances, just a shame that they had next to nothing to work with in terms of script and storyline.

"The Shed" came and went without leaving much of a lasting mark on the horror genre, and this is definitely not a movie that I will be watching a second time around. And the last 10-15 minutes of the movie, while it was the most action-packed, was also the most anti-climatic - oddly enough. And the ending of the movie, well, let's not venture there at all.

I am rating "The Shed" a mere four out of ten stars.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
krzysiektom26 October 2019
Apart from the promising first 10 minutes or so, the film is idiotic and dreadful. After about 10 minutes, from the moment the main character discovers that somebody inhabits the shed, he and everybody around behave like idiots. The film is also very low on scares. If you have to see this, wait till you can do it for free.
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an absolutely terrible movie
mrcurtismarcwilliams-7820420 November 2019
I can't say just how awful this film is. It's not just the directing. It's the screenplay. The dialog is atrocious. the first few minutes were interesting. after that it was all downhill. The cast had some ok actors but Meryl Streep herself couldn't have saved this movie.

It's so terrible that it shouldn't be labeled horror. It's a disaster.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The horror of bullying
mdbourke-282-89997316 November 2019
No! This is not a great movie. An overly heavy reliance on jump scare dream sequences (4 in total) shoddily edited and badly acted and with plot holes larger than the pores of a teenager.. BUT if you were to look at it differently, and in light of recent mass shootings. This can be viewed as as a movie about the effect of systemic bullying and how it affects individuals. Like this movie, it ain't pretty! The premise had promise but wasted it. But the theme of bullying was evident. The bullies do tend to lash out, and sadly not always as fictional vampires
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Kind Of Movie
lorddrewsus18 November 2019
Horror is stale sometimes, like most genre's. Glad this movie kind of gives the old horror a new spark. I have to say, I thought Stan was going to crumble by the end, and be the wimp that Dommer thought he was gonna be, but I liked the ending. Marble gets bowled, and Sherriff Dorney gets a hand with law enforcement. Haha, this was a great movie. Even Roxy was pretty bad ass, if just to prove Stan needs more throwing practice. Also, was the first "monster" a suicide?
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing exciting but not bad
zoe_renee2121 November 2019
I liked it. Nice chilled and easy movie to watch. Wasn't anything exciting, but wasn't boring either. Gave me some Colin Farrell Fright Night vibes too
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actors weighed down by Dullness and a bad script
nurpin12 December 2019
The actors didn't have much to work with, with this script. Bad dialogue and stupid story points along with a slow pacing made for a difficult watch. The production value seemed great compared to the sophomoric overall product. One example of this is the complete overuse of dream sequence. Ugh, it was just torture! Way too many attempts at fake-outs by use of a dream sequence makes me think they started writing this in 6th grade for a film project and actually went back to it, thinking it was a great idea as adults. Definitely wouldn't recommend it, even as a "if you have nothing better" watch. No.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I kept thinking about...
tmccull5218 November 2019
... what a good movie that this could have been. I'm a huge fan of the original version of "Fright Night", and of the television movie that inspired that, the 1972 ABC Movie of the Week, "The Night Stalker", which starred Darren McGavin, Simon Oakland, and Ralph Meeker, Carol Linley, and Barry Atwater. I was hoping that "The Shed" would be at least comparable. Unfortunately, it was not.

The first ten minutes of "The Shed" are actually pretty good. It's downhill from there, I'm afraid. The acting wasn't terrible, and the special effects were pretty decent. The creative team behind the movie played it pretty fast and loose with traditional cinema vampire lore, however. Humans are turned into full-fledged vampires within minutes of having been bitten, and by minutes, I mean two or three.

"The Shed" borrows heavily from "Fright Night", sometimes successfully, sometimes not so successfully. There are the usual jump scares, dreams within dreams, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah. The protagonist takes actions that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. In one scene, he believes that someone has broken into his house, and he ventures out to see if this is the case. Mind you, he has just experienced his pet German Shepherd and his grandfather brutally murdered by something monstrous in the shed on his property earlier that same day... and he takes absolutely ZERO steps or measures to arm or protect himself before investigating this possible prowler that night. There are the usual array of kitchen knives, a shotgun, a baseball bat and an axe, and he takes none of these. He wanders the house, in the dark, unarmed, afraid that whatever was in the shed has now gotten into the house. It just doesn't make sense. I understand that it's a customary trope in horror movies for characters to do stupid things that no person in their right mind would do under the same circumstances, but it's a trope that I have really grown sick and tired of. For example, the beastie in the shead rips apart a healthy, full grown German Shepherd, and Grandpa goes in for revenge, armed with a stick that is significantly smaller than the cane that he usually carries. Again, there is a shotgun in the house, as well as a baseball bat, and an axe, and grizzled, hard-bitten, combat veteran Grandpa opts for a two foot long stick.

I won't give away much more than I already have, save to say that the ending is a near copy of the conclusion of "Fright Night".
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting Concept and Good Effects, but Falls Short
david_rudy_lee18 November 2019
I decided to check this film out when I saw that it was playing at the Gateway Theater. I didn't know anything about it, but it was another 2019 film I could check out. The synopsis is Stan (Jay Jay Warren) lives with his abusive grandfather and tries to protect his best friend from bullies. Things take an even darker turn for him when he discovers there is a murderous creature living in the tool shed behind their house.

This actually begins with Bane (Frank Whaley) as he's hunting something in the woods. A creature, Damian Norfleet, attacks him and bites his neck. Sunlight comes through the trees though, killing whatever this is. The problem is that now Bane is hurt by the sunlight as well. He hides behind a tree and tries to make his way through the woods without getting burned. He comes to the edge and sees a tool shed. He grabs some canvas from a pile of wood, covers himself and makes a break for it.

We then see Stan as he woke up by his mother. She tells him that they're having his favorite for breakfast, pancakes. He comes down where his father and mother are. It takes a turn though when we see her change to look like a cancer patient who is on death's doorstep. His father then kills himself and Stan wakes up. His grandfather, Ellis (Timothy Bottoms) is pounding at the door and he's not happy it is locked. Through this interaction, we learn that Stan was in a juvenile detention center and that his grandfather got him out. Stan leaves for school.

On his way, we see that he has issues with a bully, Marble (Chris Petrovski) along with his two buddies, Pitt (Francisco Burgos) and Ozzy (Uly Schlesinger). He then has another with the local sheriff when Stan isn't paying attention and he nearly crashes into their truck. The sheriff is Dorney (Siobhan Fallon Hogan) and her deputy is Haiser (Mu-Shaka Benson). He then continues on to school.

It is there we see that he is in love with Roxy (Sofia Happonen). Her friends don't care for him, but through a conversation later, Stan and Roxy used to be really close but they no longer are. Stan's best friend is Dommer (Cody Kostro) who is bullied much worse by Marble. A fight breaks out between these five and it results in Stan and Dommer cutting class.

At home later that day, Ellis demands that Stan cut the grass. When he goes into the shed, he has an encounter with Bane. Stan sends the dog in and it is killed by this creature. When Stan tells his grandfather, in a rage he goes in as well and meets a similar fate. We know that Stan can't tell the authorities as he will go back to juvey. When Dommer learns of this, he comes up with a revenge plan to solve their problems.

Now the recap I gave though is all of the exciting aspects to the film, but this really did drag for me unfortunately. We get such a good cold open though. I wasn't expecting to see this vampire, which is what the creatures are in this film, that early. It kind of has a look like a Count Orloc or a Kurt Barlow if I'm going to be perfectly honest. I like that they make the eyes glow a yellowish and that they have a mouth of fangs. I even like that they kept with some of the vampire lore that you can only kill them with the stake to the heart, decapitation or sunlight. The problem is though that when Bane goes into the tool shed, it slows down.

I don't mind the things we establish though. We get a dream sequence to show what I'm assuming was Stan's previous life. I do question this though, as a conversation he has with Dommer, it makes it seem like him, Stan and Roxy all had it rough. I don't know if that means when Stan's parents passed away and he started to get into trouble or not as that isn't really established. It really does just focus on Stan needing to stay out of trouble, him and Dommer dealing with Marble and his crew and Stan being in love with Roxy. To complicate, she is messing around with Marble, even though she takes bad about him.

Everything in the second paragraph about the story is what we really focus on and I think the problem there is that I just don't think it is all that interesting. The characters aren't likeable enough for me to worry about them. I think it would have benefited to know more about Stan's back-story or to try to figure out more about these vampire's origins. They do a cool edit in where we see an old vampire film that explains how to kill them, which I thought was a good touch. I just personally thought this movie was boring and they used way too many dream sequences which a couple did have some scares, but it doesn't work for me overall.

That takes me to the acting, which I didn't think was all that good to be honest. Warren was a bit whiney to me and it made it difficult for me to worry about him. I wanted him to end up with Roxy, as I've fallen for women in the past who have friend-zoned me. I think we needed to establish him a bit more to really care. Kostro was kind of in the same boat. I understand he's been bullied and it really affects him, but he really goes zero to 100 real fast when it comes to taking out Marble. Happenon I thought was attractive and seeing in her a corset, panties and garter was nice. I hated her though when she explains why she's seeing Marble. I would say that Petrovski is one of the better performances along with Whaley. The rest were just very mediocre at best if I'm honest.

Now I will say though, the best part of this movie was definitely the effects. I've already said my piece on the look of the vampires, but even the blood and wounds looked good to me. We get some cool visual effects during the climax when people are shot with a shotgun. I do now one of them was done with CGI, but it was quick and I thought it was fine.

With that said, this film really has some good aspects, I just think they focused on the wrong things if I'm going to be perfectly honest. I think there's a good set up with this vampire biting Bane and then him hiding in the tool shed. It really takes too long to go from there. I don't care enough about the characters to worry about what they're dealing with and I was ultimately just bored. The effects are the saving grace though if I'm going to be honest here. The soundtrack didn't really stand out, but it didn't hurt the movie either. I would say this is a below average for sure. I really can't recommend it outside of seeing how cool the creatures look and the effects in general.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very cool movie. Terrible ending
petera0021 January 2020
Very very cool concept but once the ending hits and the vampire looks like a meaner version of a twilight vampire... Kind of a letdown... Why cant you have someone like christopher lee in the hammer pics? Even if they stay in the shadows and all you see are fangs?!
Not Shakespeare, but entertaining
hemipristis20 January 2020
Standard teen date-night fare, with the requisite jumps, scares and blood. The characters are rather typecast, and the ending is predictable (is is a law now that the girl/woman needs to kill the monster? just asking'). If you're looking for high-brow, look elsewhere. If you're just searching for some Friday night mental bubble gum, this satisfies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not murder. It's payback.
nogodnomasters16 January 2020
PLOT SPOILERS. Stanley (Jay Jay Warren) lives with his grandfather on the wrong side of the tracks. he is bullied in school as is his friend Dommer (Cody Kostro). Somehow Joe Ellis (Timothy Bottoms) with no character build-up becomes a vampire and lives in their old shed. Oh, what to do. Maybe call the authorities? Set the shed on fire during a bright sunny day? It would be easier to convince them grandma got run over by a reindeer.

Roxy (Sofia Happonen) should have had some character build up. At least one scene of her without Stan. Same with Dommer. What really happened to his parents? Did mom become a zombie and dad blow his brains out as his dream? Is that connected to the vampire turning? Not developed if there was anything. The film needed some tweaking.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
Excruciating!
andythedsmfowler10 January 2020
A hundred and fifty script and directorial clichés flying in loose formation. Only gets two stars because horrible grandpa gets mullered early on.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
hunterxhunterabcd21 November 2019
Bad film I don't understand any thing it's so bad and the actors so bad
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly strong and potent bullying tale
kannibalcorpsegrinder2 January 2020
Living with an abusive grandfather, a bullied teen trying to get out of his small-town without getting into confrontations with a local bully finds that a mysterious, deadly creature has taken residence in a shed in his backyard, and after trapping it decides to use it to take care of his bully problems.

There ended up being quite a lot to love here. Among the best attributes to this one is a fantastic backstory bringing together numerous intriguing subplots into the mix. The main teens' tragic family history and being forced to live with a relative who doesn't want him and tries raising him to his old-school ideas tells us quite a bit about their history together, much in the same way the intricate web of backstories relating to their high-school lives is carried out. Interconnecting not only the bullies that have tormented him and his best friend for years that has also hooked up repeatedly with his best friend who he has a crush on, these interlocking stories give strong emotional resonance to everything while also leading into each other in a way that showcases incredibly strong writing as well as creativity to accomplish this. There's also a lot of great work here with the horror segments. Opening up with the creature hunting a victim through the woods and attacking him only to be saved by a sheer coincidence yet realize he's become afflicted with the curse is a strong start by giving us an idea about the beast and some of its characteristics to start things out. As well, it also provides an excuse as to how it ended up in the shed where his first few encounters provide some chilling and shocking moments of the creature attacking his family in order to set up the later scenes where they lead people to the shed inadvertently. That these are short, intense and brutal works just as well as the traditional stalking scenes throughout the house at the end that's filled with suspenseful searching, gore-filled kills and tons of action which really ends this one on a high note. However, the film scores the most with the incredibly complex theme of vengeance carried out against tormentors. This one rightfully brings up the idea almost immediately upon the realization of the creatures' presence about using it to get revenge on the bullies by leading them into the shed, and it's quickly rebuffed as unethical. Still, the unyielding desire to go so far as to willfully ignore him and do it anyway raises plenty of strong issues about the morality of this since that inevitably leads to the creature getting free through the simple-minded and shortsighted desire for all-consuming revenge. That lack of logic and reasoning is a hurdle for some to get over, while a lame and ham-fisted back-and-forth confrontation that relies more on quippy puns than actual legit fighting to stop the creature could be considered an issue yet none of these are really that detrimental.

Rated Unrated/R: Extreme Graphic Language and Graphic Violence.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tragedy
jakubpyz26 October 2019
For a long long time I havent seen such a bad movie...
5 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.