Greatland (2020) Poster

(2020)

Interesting film about dystopian future
schrades2224 November 2020
Greatland is a satirical look at modern society. There is some inventive art direction and great young performers. If you enjoy films like Fahrenheit 451 or Brazil, you'll like Greatland.
Great music.
n-nnnnn-s19 November 2020
It's like Romeo and Juliette in a Circus

The two young leads give solid performances and are just stunning to look at. They bring peace and normalcy and are more mature than those old dudes in charge of this crazy place. "The child speaks the truth" it feels at times like an updated version of 1984 mixed with Idiocracy. A powerful and innovative score.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trippy and inventive indie film
sallproductionspdx18 November 2020
Reminiscent of a Terry Gilliam world mixed with Idiocracy, this inventive indie creatively explores many of today's most pressing issues and questions within the context of a richly envisioned and satirical world. Would recommend!
A wild ride
srt-24517 December 2020
Surreal, cosmic comical coming of age story for the moment. There are so many wild and interesting ideas and visual motifs in this film, each scene will take you by surprise. There is comedy, love and heartbreak, all set against a colorful world, but which resonates with our actual one. Never a dull moment.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild Ride
artistgp14 December 2020
Really interesting film especially if you're looking for something different than the hollywood norm. The filmmakers take some chances and that's something I always appreciate. Strap in for a feast of color and style.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As clear as Zardoz
gillesward3 November 2020
This movie offers very little. I personally forced myself to watch the entire thing. Unfortunately it lead nowhere. The poor acting is only surpassed by the horrible script. The best comparison I can give would be Zardoz. A movie that seem to be lost in it own world. Not sure if you should be a comedy or a drama. Infact, i did not laugh, or cry, just dumbfounded by the stupidity of it all. . This is no gem, and should net see the light of day.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Sci-fi
mich1elle11 November 2020
This movie is so fun to watch. Interesting story and amazing cast.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm in love with Chloe Ray Warmoth
megamartiny24 November 2020
Ugly Duck is not Ugly! She's so pretty so expressive in her performance. She and Arman Darbo are such a cute couple! Girl + Boy + danger to overcome + heroic journey to accomplish = good movie = happy viewer
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wildly Imaginative and Vividly Colorful
mentalrev29 December 2020
A vibrant and totally unique film that shows totalitarianism can come in a variety of flavors. I was really impressed with the creativity of the writing, the performances and the vibrant colorful cinematography and special effects. Reminiscent of a young adult dystopian novel GREATLAND delivers social commentary without preaching and makes the audience think about the limits of political correctness when manipulated to serve the interests of the ruling elite. I thought the production value was excellent and this is an intriguing indie film worth checking out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Candy Colored Dystopia
julianbaner11 December 2020
This movie is bonkers! Like Pee-wee's Playhouse meets Terry Gilliam's Brazil. If it were a bit more deadpan and raunchier, it would be right at home in the Adult Swim catalogue. Though it seems influenced by various dystopian/ sci fi movies, this has a palette and style of its own that I have never quite seen before. Its low budget is utilized very effectively in its ambitious world-building and mix of CGI and practical effects. If you're in the mood for something wild and flashy, and a critique of "woke" culture, then this is for you.
A Boldly Visual Film Experience
JGReviews10 December 2020
I have never experienced a film quite like Greatland. It is unique, creative, and has a striking visual style. Everyone who worked on the visual side of this film need some applause -- from the production designer, cinematographer, costume designers, digital fx team, hair and makeup, and beyond. I really like discovering these unique and creative indie films. While not everyone may appreciate these bold choices, I think there's a lot of people, like me, who really do. Getting to watch an Eric Roberts performance is always a nice little bonus in an indie film too!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great performances, visual effects and FUN!
jimborussell10 December 2020
A true indie film with a refreshing science fiction twist that really hits home. Seems like its pulled from today's headlines. Worth the watch with great performances, visual effects and FUN!
A good trip!
AvaCincotti10 December 2020
Okay, I've never done acid, but it felt like I was in a super duper colorful trip. Kudos to the writer/director for creating such a wonderful world full of symbolism (reminded me of Jodorowsky). Good acting (also the supporting characters), great sound and charmingly weird story. A world where genders, roles, goals are questioned. If you like clever weird, this is the movie.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
colorful entertainment for the light hearted horror fan.
jo-1426510 December 2020
In this complex original screenplay where Mother is Big Brother, a father and son re-unite. Will love conquer all in this crazed and twisted dystopian world. Beautifully shot and produced. In the end, Greatland delivers an emotional rollercoaster between reality and perception where love and betrayal coexist.
Nothing Like It!
DonSwanson10 December 2020
Insanely creative social and cultural commentary - can't really be explained, but you've got to see it, and see it through for an ending that'll rock your perceptions!

I've never seen anything quite like it!
Visually stunning dystopian journey
catia-ojeda9 December 2020
Every frame of this dystopian, sci-fi drama is lush, gorgeous, and extremely well thought out. The details of the production design are a journey of their own, and a marvel on a lower budget indie. Compelling, entertaining, and highly relevant. If you enjoy a fantastical dystopian story, this one will not fail to surprise and entertain.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And now for something completely different...
briandilorenzofilm5 December 2020
"Greatland" is pretty much unlike any film I've ever seen before - it's candy-colored visuals and spectacular costumes and sets may have you believe you're watching the next big budget Netflix show, until you realize it's an independent film in the truest sense - with totally bonkers world-building that subtly reveal commentary on everything from pandemics and viruses to fake news and social media addiction. I was at times bewildered, nervous, confused but always intrigued - "Greatland" has to be seen to be believed.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colorful, wild and Fun!!!
ath06293 December 2020
Hard to describe the movie, it's so crazy, yet sweet and loving. great acting, and just wild.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Toxic masculinity at its best
watsonn-1151617 November 2020
What happens when you suppress boyhood and natural instincts... rebellion and chaos of epic proportions. Greatland gives a lot to reflect upon but it's also plain entertaining. Don't be taken aback by the visual aggression of Act 1. It shows how this world of fake entertainment is manipulating us with a constant wow narrative pushed down our throats. The Act 2 and 3 draw the curtains to show you backstage where the elite is pulling the strings. It's a movie for smart people and Ulysses is an icon for a generational revolt.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taking the "new normal" leftist social norms to absurdity.
kevinreidy-949927 November 2020
What the world would be like if humanity cedes any authority to the morally deranged minority among us.

Through shouting the loudest and calling everyone who doesn't agree with their agenda a bigot, they hope to cow those not mentally ill among us to remain silent and just accept their deviant behaviour.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cats on budget
faery-1398821 November 2020
Psychedelic movies like Greatland are few and far between. Cats with Taytay may be coming close. It takes creative courage to do something like this on a shoe string. Technically Greatland lacks the means necessary to carry out such ambitious world building. Story wise, it's much more layered and complex than Cats. Although it has only a tiny fraction of its budget, Greatland has a great music and stunning imagery. Acting is also good with few exceptions. A lot of really colorful larger than life characters. I love it, I'm buying it and hosting a watching party with my friends shrooms.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
psychofekalic retrococcus svada...
ops-525352 November 2020
For you that love to run photoshop or edit on adobeview and love filtering the world around you. the serious viewer might find similarities to ongoing pandemic and upcoming election. its not for the grumpy old man
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arman Darbo
yusufpiskin12 December 2020
(MOSCOW INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2020) Dana Ziyasheva's Greatland, a dystopian fantasy, comes to Amazon video on demand Sunday, 1 November 2020. Greatland, with a Ziyasheva written screenplay, stars Eric Roberts, Nick Moran, J.P. Manoux, Bill Oberst Jr, Shannon Briggs, Arman Darbo, and Chloe Ray Warmoth.

The film, set in a futuristic vintage style Los Angeles, revolves around rebellious non-binary teenager Ulysses and their mission their childhood sweetheart. The story unfolds in the midst of a ridiculously absurd election, a deadly virus outbreak, chaos, and violence.

Whilst the story is ridiculously bizarre, noting current global issues, Greatland is thoroughly entertaining. This is a world where boys are married to trees, cats and dogs run for President, and the Virus has become a new religion.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, imaginative, great cast
giuseppe-9977330 November 2020
Nice to see something different out there. Well acted - Eric Roberts was fun and Nick Moran puts in a strong performance. I enjoyed watching this film.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film like no other !!! Wake up Hollywood!!!
enot_chuiskyi17 November 2020
Finally, a film that is relevant. Not a boring miserabilist flick about the working class in rainy Liverpool or the grey suburbs of Belgium (can't take them anymore!) But a colorful fast pace punch in the face of a movie! The Woke culture manipulated by a cynical and immoral oligarchy. Wow! That's real subversion, take that Michael Moore! Take that Hollywood! Want to stay relevant? Make relevant movies like this one!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.