The Perfect Date (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

Ok if you're not seeking innovation.
LukeCustomer212 April 2019
I enjoyed this one but what holds it back is any sort of non paint by the numbers story. Noah Centineo plays "Brooks Rattigan" (come on guys come up with a real name) a good poor kid who has set his sites on Yale and the good life. While doing this he comes up with the idea for an app to be like a task rabbit for dating. (actually good idea). However, he soon finds that he is losing himself to pretending to be whomever for the app and some of his real life friends are getting tried of being stood up and ignored. My only thought on this was it didn't seem that Brooks was doing anything wrong per se. The script sort of had to twist itself around to have the "dark moment" and his friends came off a little selfish not to let him have this new thing in his life. Of course, he does learn that yearning after the good life and Yale has its drawbacks and isn't all it seems to be. There is a romance with Laura Marano "Celia" but it was definitely very BFF. I didn't get any sort of romantic vibe.
63 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is my own fault
kateb-1966513 April 2019
I can't believe I let myself watch another Netflix teen movie and so I should not be surprised that once again the credits have started to roll and I have wondered what I could have done with my life during the last 90mins that I have wasted. We do like that Noah Centineo plays another "Noah Centineo" character with his charming, adorkable smile but his almost non-existent romantic chemistry with Laura Marano had me hoping they'd just stay friends by the end of the film. Also, please stop with the pop-song-montage of scenes that took place during the movie, at the end of the film - I just watched the whole movie, I don't need to watch it again.
88 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and cringe worthy
giuliacypriano13 April 2019
I almost fell asleep 3 times while watching this movie. Do yourself a favor and watch something worth your time. The characters have very little chemistry and poor personal development. Besides their storylines being shallow, it was even more unbearable having to watch another stereotypical "I'm not like other girls/I'm sarcastic and wear combat boots" trope on screen. Even though I like Noah Centineo, it gets tiring seeing him play the same roles over and over again. He can do better.
88 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and Cliche but overall cute
sketchpoetjon12 April 2019
Aside from its obvious predictability i found this film to be cute and heartwarming.The actor who plays the protagonist often plays these kinds of roles but does so quite well. The awkward quirky eventual love interest is adorable at best. Gay black friend is a nice change from the usual token black guy however i found his acting somewhat weak and his part was rather small. Perhaps if he were given a back story and some more depth to his character the movie could have shown a little more meaning. Don't get me wrong the message was a nice one but maybe a little too basic and let's face it he still has some growing up to do. He mentioned he was 18 but learning 1 lesson does not maketh man.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, light and entertaining
Sacotra15 April 2019
I'm very confused by all the bad reviews here, and so early after the movie's release. Almost like some kind of co-ordinated outpouring of disappointment. Hmm... What did I miss?

Anyway, I feel like most of the poor reviews are unfair, particularly any in the 1-3 stars range. I'm giving this movie 8/10 because it does what it sets out to do well. It's a light, fun entertaining comedy, as focused on friendship as romance. Of course Noah is not a 'great ak-torrr' (certainly not at this stage) but he does what he's supposed to do perfectly here - which is to be gorgeous and charming and funny. If that's not what you're after, then this is not the movie for you.

Overall this is a nice, comforting, escapist way to spend 90 minutes. No one dies or gets sick, no animals are hurt, everyone is pretty. It's fun.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That was soooo bad!!
kerenulas12 April 2019
I watched the movie only because of Noah Centineo but now I feel his whole acting career is to basically play the same guy!!! He just copied every element of Peter Kavinsky and did it much worse. I'm done with these Netflix movies.
76 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok "Critics" Calm Down....
colleencanada16 April 2019
Is this movie predictable? Yes. A little cheesy. For sure. A mashup of teen movies before it. Oh Hell Yeah. But even for a cynic like me, I have to say it was a sweet little movie. And hey, it has the right message-look after your friends and family, be true to yourself and here's a novel idea-embrace something positive. It was refreshing to see something innocent..
43 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's pretty bad.
bribrown719 April 2019
Netflix, you can't just throw Noah Centineo into a subpar movie and expect no one to notice. This movie was seriously rushed. Some of the characters' actions just didn't make sense. Who kisses someone literally 3 seconds after a public breakup, and asks them to a dance even though they've met like 3 times? No one! And would it kill Noah to put forth some effort? You can't play the same role in every film. Also, there was no character development for anyone except Brooks, a sorry excuse for a plot, and no chemistry between the male and female leads. Throw the whole movie away. It only got 4 stars because I managed to sit through the whole thing.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's the same. But the same is good for me
nrppaul17 April 2019
It's literally the same as all other Noah Centineo movies. The same writing and plot line and storyline of all teen Netflix original movies recently. Same aesthetic, same soundtrack, same morals and same story. But, I loved it lol. If you're after something new and innovative, this isn't it. But if you're after a feel-good teen romance movie with that aesthetic and cute adorable Noah Centineo dorky smile? Then this is a nice hour and a half for you
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably a 6 but I watched it on a good day...
heather_cloude13 April 2019
This is nothing original but if you're looking for a feel good movie then this would do okay. It's actually pretty cute albeit very predictable. I really liked the character of Celia. To be honest, this would be a hit if it were an 80s movie.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard Rom Com formula but very charmingly done
julian_t_ward12 April 2019
Yes, this is a rom com by the numbers, fully up to date with fun and games around dating apps. But the two leads have genuine charm and spar off each other with believable chemistry. Whilst probably not a film that you will remember in years to come, you will nevertheless have a very enjoyable 90 minutes watching this.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
BlueSkies76514 April 2019
The Perfect Date is a coming of age teen rom-com. For this demographic it's a relatable movie with a positive message.

It's predictable. You know how most of the movie will play out. However the characters are likable and this keeps you engaged. The Beverly Hills 90210 vibes is also cool.

Light watching. If you got Netflix it's worth watching.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great feel-good movie!
mandokal15 April 2019
What movie were all these naysayers watching? Great chemistry between the main characters, predictable BUT likeable storyline.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Low for Writing!
lilianggoodliffe13 April 2019
This impressive piece is so uninteresting, flat, annoying, and offensively stupid I am debating making it my life goal to isolate myself in a cave where no news of terrible Netflix films can ever reach me. Characters are built on simple concepts, and not developed or fleshed out in the slightest. Somehow they lack any motivation at all! Not a single hint of reasonable motivation behind any of their actions! Rather than a story, this film just provides several scenes of disconnected plot points, mildly connected by the same actors appearing on screen and saying things no human being ever reasonably would. In conclusion, don't watch this, the writer should be ashamed, anything else is better.
55 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exactly what it's supposed to be
travisesmon16 April 2019
It was a fine movie. Predictable like every other teen movie, but fun to watch. So ignore all the nonsense reviews claiming they need their time back. My guess is their time isn't worth more than anyone else's who's chosen a Netflix teen movie for some easy watching. Plenty of funny moments and plenty enjoyable.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge waste of time
panda-6592713 April 2019
This movie is a 90 minute span of nothingness where the ending felt like the sweet release of death. The plot is basically non-existent and has no clear direction and feels more like random scenes glued together badly by a toddler. The trailer gives away the whole movie while simultaneously being WAY better than the movie. If you wanted a movie about the app he made and the dates he goes on as the trailer selled it as, well too bad because you only get a 2 minute montage of that! Instead, watch two actors with absolutely no chemistry "fall in Love" as Laura insults Noah and they learn nothing about each other. This movie is soo boring and the trailer is so misleading but the worst thing about it is that lack of chemistry between the two leads. I would never watch this again.
35 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes...It was Predictable. No...It was not bad.
nehatandon001915 April 2019
I went with no expectations at all but it was likeable, mainly because the lead was extremely cute. Now, this movie is for a special target audience..teens who are into romcoms...so, if it fits the bill..its worth a watch!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fell asleep while watching
sandyossa13 April 2019
I was bored so I decided to watch this movie, and as per usual it was quite late and I was already beginning to fall asleep, but after only 25 minutes of this movie I fell asleep! The characters are very monotone and I feel like scenes drag on forever. The plot was very typical, but with most romcoms this is a usual plot, but other movies that use the romcom formula still turn out pretty good, but this movie didn't do much for me personally. While I do like Noah Centineo's other movies (To All the Boys I've Loved Before) and Laura Morano's as well (Austin and Ally; Bad Hair Day), I just feel like their voices were a bit monotone in this movie. The plot itself also seemed to be a bit rushed, but then again this could just be me. Overall, it was an ok movie to watch if you're bored and have absolutely nothing better to do.
25 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a flat story
ops-5253512 April 2019
Without the crazy ups and downs you may expect from a comedy. its just that there are nothing here that makes me laugh, just a smile inside, and the rest is just cattanooga cho cho, with a lot of conversations with different persons in different settings

i think this in one of the many netflix-production that will place itself in the basket of inrecognition, unless you like social network-work, and the freshnes of new juicy fruits entering the silver screen with beauty and galore . i think the cast does a decent job, with acceptable acting, but the story are to innovative anb the characters are too boring,so its lack of sting makes this flick a bit benign. the concept of ideas are good but a bit spoiled on the fun. the filming are ållreit, but the timeline and quantities of customers makes it a bit blurry.

so the grumpy old man says ok, but not more than that.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost every teenage trope you can think of
sarahrichardson-4819115 April 2019
From the one dimensional gay best friend to the makeover of the female lead, this had almost every teen rom com trope imaginable. At one point I thought it was a parody movie like 'not another teen movie'.

While other reviews seemed not to like the female lead I thought she did well with what she had to work with. The male lead on the other hand gave nothing new to his part and felt like a clone of the other roles he had recently played... talk about typecast. He's not a bad actor so hopefully he gets to do something interesting and different soon.

The final scene made virtually no sense, what's with the subway tropical theme, they will totally be fired when management find out! And that kiss was the lamest kiss in the entire world, awkward and boring. Such a let down after the sweet letter scene.

If you feel like watching something that involves the use of no brain cells, and you've watched every other teen rom com on Netflix already then maybe it might be worth a watch? Maybe...
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a fun hearted, feel good movie
timmymanutony13 April 2019
If you're looking for a fun feel good movie to get away from all the real sad drama of the world, then it's a really fun watch. All smiles and laughs just what was intended for these light teenage love movies
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Movie!!
scubaeric14 April 2019
Cheesy? Nah, it's fun. A little reminder to be mindful of yourself and others. Especially, your friends. Brooks' a good guy at heart. Be true, be yourself.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
jasminhegmann12 April 2019
Okay so I don't know why Noah Centineo is in like every Netflix Original romcom..? But from all of those that I watched, this is by far the one I liked best. Original idea, funny.. and sure the end was not a surprise. But I guess that is why we all enjoy those movies so much, because there are days we just need a good old happy end, am I right?

Also: Loved Laura Morano and her character in this one!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rip off
nfd95113 April 2019
This movie is a total rip off of two Patrick Dempsey movies from the 80s mashed together. ...Cant buy me Love and Loverboy....which were both much better than this. All you younger people here should watch these movies to learn the same lessons that this movie tried to teach
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been a good movie
snenazena1 June 2019
Very good idea, but poor acting and very very boring. Don't even bother to watch
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.