Overcomer (2019) Poster

(2019)

Uplifting film!
dshields-2569823 August 2019
Wow. I saw this film yesterday and am still replaying scenes in my head. Such a great inspirational film. I wish there were more movies like this available.
98 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring your neighbors! Great take-a-ways
kkjmm-3929323 August 2019
I almost never would give a 10 on a film since I believe that every film could do better, but in this case it is just a really good family film with some great take-a-ways. The acting keeps getting better in their films and the professionalism of the script level is very comparable to any family film produced by Hollywood. The messages and impact was felt deeply by myself. The next day I am still singing the songs in my head and trying to make some differences in my daily life to take advantage of the advise offered in the movie. I can't understand why many people would vote a '1' and then not even do a review, unless they never even saw the film and are just against anything with references to Jesus in a film. I guess that part hasn't changed in over 2000 years!? Go see the film and take someone with you...
76 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm an atheist and I found it entertainment and inspirational
pcoene121 December 2019
The critics pan anything that has even a glimpse of Christianity. They can go to nonexistent hell. This movie inspires and is uplifting, unlike the PC crap the critics love so much.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Kendricks Brothers Movie Yet
rightgirl23 August 2019
Best Kendricks Brothers Movie Yet and they're getting more and more bold about the Gospel LOVE that !!!!
59 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a must see movie!!!!
drpphoward24 August 2019
My husband and I enjoyed this movie so much that as soon as we walked out the theater, he turned and said, we have to get this DVD when it comes out! We cried and we laughed but most importantly it helped us solidify our relationship to the Lord. We think we know who we are but we let things around us tell us different. After watching this movie we have made a stance to stand firm on who He say we are! Love this movie! Great job to cast and crew.
61 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice to have a movie I can see with Mom
joeyford-5534223 August 2019
Great film, fun and engaging. I like that it was clean, like movies used to be. It motivated me. Heck, I might start running again!
64 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overcomer review ( from Kendrick fan)
dmyrwood23 August 2019
This is coming from a fan of Kendrick brothers really enjoy their films ( was even rewatching them all before this one) if you enjoy their movies too you would like it and it's also a good inspirational and even sweet at times sports movie ( even tho they claim running isn't sport lol) and some good characters here even a little twist that made things a little more interesting only main problem is movie can get bit slow at first then picks up more later but this is definitely pretty good one;)
47 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Powerful and Uplifting Move
melzow24 August 2019
I Loved the movie from Laughing to Crying and Praising God
51 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected Inspiration
icreate-124 August 2019
I'm not a fan of sports or high school movies, but I went to see this because I loved "War Room", another Kendrick film. I was crying & cheering! A great story on how Jesus can heal & change lives. Every high schooler should see this! I highly recommend it for church youth groups.
38 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW....LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!
pattirat23 August 2019
A great inspiring movie!!!! Loved it.....strongly recommend!!!
41 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good story about a young girl overcoming personal obstacles.
TxMike4 February 2020
My wife and I watched this at home on DVD from our public library. It is a faith-based fictional story with a good message, we enjoyed it.

By way of summary: High school basketball coach John Harrison receives unfortunate news that the largest local manufacturing plant suddenly shuts down, forcing many families, and their kids, to leave in search of other job opportunities. John's dreams of winning the state basketball championship suddenly vanish. He very reluctantly agrees to coach the cross-country team where he meets a runner, the only member of his team, who is on her journey of discovery. John and his wife are inspired by their new friend in the hospital while John attempts to help the runner win the biggest race of the year.

It is heavily Christian based, which works fine for this movie although those who object to such subject likely will not like this movie. Filmed in Georgia.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jesus Lives
MovieBuff_sl29 September 2019
Brilliant movie. Before the movie, I told my partner not to cry (it's just a running joke between us) but BOTH of us ended up bawling our eyes out. God is so good! The acting is amazing. Go watch it and it will do you a lot of good especially if you are down in the valleys. Remember the ONE who is central to everything. HE will never leave nor forsake you.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go See This Movie
magic200024 August 2019
What an incredible ride. Although it can sometimes be a bit predictable, there were enough surprises to keep it interesting and entertaining. A fabulous cast that was perfectly match with their characters. So up lifting that the entire theatre burst in to a round of applause at the end. If you only see one movie the rest of the year, make it this one. Simply one of the best I have seen in a long time.
27 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspirational and powerful
kygirl012024 August 2019
This movie is a must watch for anyone that's considered giving up, or anyone who has questioned their identity. It's a clean movie for the whole family and very encouraging as well.
27 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than i thought.
SpiritMechanic24 August 2019
So here we go again, and let me remind people of how i review movies. I rate them according to what they are trying to achieve. If you are looking for a summer blockbuster, this isn't it. This is a Christian made movie, for Christians. Meaning, it IS a little on the 'preachy' side, but, that's what is was intended for and it did hit that mark. It might have done it (the preachy thing) a little too much and too soon for me It was a little heavy. It was funnier than i thought it would be at the same time. That being said, it was a very well made movie and a very heart felt one at that. It will make you tear up at the least if you have any kind of soul at all. The high moments were good and hit home, and the preachy parts were a little too rushed for me. I think there should have been a little more depth to the characters in the beginning before they went off on the 'God loves you and me' part and then went right onto the whole 'God stuff' moments. Of course don't get me wrong, I am a strong Christian myself and have nothing against this kind of stuff in movies at all, i just wish it was more properly placed and timed right so it can hit harder when and where it is needed. But thats just me as an aspiring film maker myself. This movie was well made and it definitely hits home in a lot of areas. I would surely not miss it. These movies are getting better, but remember, a lot of them are preaching to the choir, which this one does, but it does it well.
32 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started good
ryangrange25 August 2019
Little bits of faith sprinkled through the first half but the second half literally beats you over the head with it.
53 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspiring Movie
depraises24 August 2019
I love this movie. It reveals how God can work behind the scenes to cause things to work together for the good. It also invited us to do a self check as to who we really are. It reminds us to never discount another self worth.
29 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kendrick Brothers Movie Keep on Getting Better and Better
ShelbyTMItchell23 August 2019
Again brothers Stephen and Alex are doing always a great job. In the movies of making them Christian. Not corny.

John Harrison had a basketball team but loses the championship. But worse news is about to come. As the factory lays off thousands of workers and for the kids of the parents working there knowing that their dreams for a scholarships faded and John is forced to take on as a coach of cross country, something he does not like. Parents of those kids on the sports teams are moving to find better jobs and scholarships. All seems hopeless right...but then a breakthrough.

But then a student named Hannah Scott a troubled petty thief but gifted runner and student with trust and confident issues and lost her parents or so she thinks to drugs and living with her grandmother working two jobs to provide for them

She is the only person running track but proves she is gifted. John and his family put their faith in God and things start happening. Out of something bad comes something good. As Hannah slowly but surely improves on her running, grades, and hopefully finding a purpose in her life.

As John and his family make a visit though on accident with John at first alone to a person named Thomas who has his own history and he is faced with diabetes and death as well as lost his sight. But is happy after he found faith in God.

While also dealing with possibly movie away. But then Hannah is giving John and the school faith and proves that out of something bad, comes something good.
27 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misleading Trailer and Movie Summary
insainiy30 August 2019
Great movie for people of the Christian faith or anyone into watching a religious themed movie. Like other reviews mentoned, it started off really good and then the 2nd half was so over the top with religious connotation, and overdoing it with quoting scripture, that it was a bit of a turn off because it was so exaggerated. If the overuse of the religious tone was turned down a few notches, it would have been a fantastic movie.
46 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a Baptist tent revival - not a movie
jblue-113876 September 2019
I thought this was going to be a feel good story like Hoosiers or Rudy and I couldn't have been more wrong. This was a slow boring predictable movie with the worst acting I have ever witnessed. Oh and the Jesus aspect was not just sprinkled in it was crammed right down your throat every 10 minutes. This experience was more like a Baptist tent revival than a motion picture.
46 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a great alternative to mostly junk media available out there ...
effendisoewono6 December 2019
This movie give you deep thoughts about what is important in your short life. Make the best of of your life.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful movie!
juliaoc-2368224 August 2019
My family and I just saw this movie and love it! I highly recommend this movie!!!
23 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie but I thought my friends bright me there to convert me to their Church or something
azcoyote322 September 2019
I went with a friend and one of her friends that are church goers and very faith based people. It was a good movie but could have been done better to appeal to everyone. Like most said in the second half I thought that maybe their own Church had put on this production in the theater to help convert new Christians as I hadn't heard of this movie. I was questioning the movie and my friends motivation the whole time.
24 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unfortunately needed something more.
dtrani13 January 2020
Despite it's compelling and moving narrative, Overcomer still fails in what it is. I am a Christian who enjoys watching Christian films, but will not give it a good rating just because it had a good message. Story is only half of a film. The other half falls flat with its bland editing and acting.

Many shots in the film felt undeveloped as well. Some of them were way too bright and should have been color corrected during post production. I don't like to give films bad ratings but unfortunately the Christian Film Industry is known for making cheap films. The Kendrick Brothers have made better films and wish Christians would up their game. If there was one thing I did like, it was some of the shots they chose to use such as various drone shots and even some nice crane shots. 5.5/10
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible Acting! Did I just attend church?
brandonrmclean1 September 2019
Cheesy acting, overdramatic, churchy, religious propaganda. The movie dragged on with melodramatic talk scenes that only preached to its target audience. Annoyed I spent money on this travesty of a movie...
37 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.