John Henry (2020) Poster

(2020)

Terrible
hekuranrama4 February 2020
I love all the Terry Crews movies, but this was the most boring and terrible movie i have ever seen.
53 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard pass on this snooze fest
iamjamalwhite18 February 2020
I love Terry Crews. Even his amazing draw and enthusiasm could not save this awful script with a $10k budget. Story is about drug war with a victim caught in the middle who seeks refuge with Crews and his dad. Pretty straight forward but just a bad script. Wouldn't recommend it.
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Film I Have Seen In Many Years
denverdaveonline10 February 2020
Everyone involved in this film should be embarrassed. It has a terrible story line, unnecessary extreme profanity, and is overall a two-thumbs-down candidate for "worst film ever made". It is an atrocious assault and assassination of the character of John Henry who was deemed a legendary hero and this movie is so awful it seems like it is a deliberate attempt to do so.

Terry Crews should be much more selective about the movie roles he chooses in the future or his career is going in the toilet where this movie belongs.
38 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible movie
seanroger-829639 May 2020
You would think that Ludacris and Terry Crews are established enough that they would no longer participate in substandard movies. It had to have been evident at the time that they read the script that no matter what editing was done, it could not produce any level of quality work.

No back story, but a young Honduran brother and sister manage to illegally cross into the US, fine. Sister is kidnapped and rescued, however the brother is shot. How was he alive at the end of the movie with no visible sign of injury.

Terry Crews acting was idk, was his intention to be depressed, lonely, sedated?

The screenplay music was terrible and didn't fit with the sequences.

The action was horrible.

How did the cousin charge a cop who had his pistol drawn escape?

The dialogue with the cop at the house was garbage.

I could keep mentioning different sequences from the movie that all are just as bad as what I have done already but I am not spending another moment with this terribly written, filmed, and acted out movie.

Guys, do better next time.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes no sense
karaweast26 January 2020
I never once could figure out what this movie was really about. Didnt get the theme. Didnt get any of my questions answered like the woman who helped him buy tampons and danced in the store. Who are these random Hispanic kids. Why are they jumping from scene to scene. Cant understand why we are being shown videos from Feb of 1994, they never explain it. Some lady at the end decided to help john. I'm just confused. It turned from a movie of all dialogue to straight gore and western music. The music never once fit the scene, the music over powered the dialogue. I kept having to turn up the volume to hear what they were saying then turn it down because some loud obnoxious music came on. I want my money back. That was dumb.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The director clearly went to the Michael Bay school
taylorann111 May 2020
Was like a music video and wannabe Tarantino movie rolled into one. Pacing was awful. The scene with the two gang members talking about "The Human Centipede" was an attempt at the Royal with Cheese dialogue from "Pulp Fiction." Just a waste of Terry Crews and Chris Bridges' talents.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not watch this "movie."
jcmlb17 May 2020
Quite Posse the dumbest and most incoherent movie ever made. Not sure how anyone could have read this script and said "yeah this seems good, I'm in"?
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a mess of a film
iamMarkPrice1 February 2020
This film had a lot of potential, we know that because it's an idea we've seen executed well many times before. It could have been so much more, it wanted to be so much more. Unfortunately amateur camera work/blocking, poor script and horrendous sound design really rob this film.

When will sound designers learn, if you make the score significantly louder than the delivery of the script, foley, etc, through volume, pitch or otherwise, you destroy the film. In John Henry the score which pops up regularly and randomly (often out of context) is at least double the loudness of everything else going on. That means you either listen at a volume that makes speech inaudible or you blow out your ear drums when trumpets suddenly start blasting.

That leads to much of the speech being inaudible. Not that it really matters with such a basic plot, but it definitely is frustrating. The John Wick dead dog scene is ridiculous, and at no point is there emotional attachment to any of the characters. Heck, for most of the movie you won't even really know who the characters even really are.

Better to save your money and watch Shaft or John Wick instead.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What in the world!!!
vus2925 January 2020
30 minutes into the film and I am on IMDB for a plot because I don't know what I have just watched the half an hour. Even after reading the plot, it doesn't relate to what I have been trying to watch. The camera work is terrible, some footage is obviously from a mobile phone! The editing is atrocious, the editor should have been clued up on the plot! Thankfully I did not have to watch this in a cinema. Let me try get through the last hour!
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad I'm wondering if Terry Crews is in some kind of trouble.
mauriceonicholson12 May 2020
The plot of this film moves at a snail's pace, and ultimately doesn't go anywhere. It really makes very little sense. The concept isn't a terrible idea, but what really confuses me is that the writer also directed this film, and couldn't bring it together any better than this. Confusing flashbacks that are uninteresting at best, and gunfights with people standing around, looking down gun barrels just waiting to get shot. The only excitement came from my anger at the wasted potential of this film.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is absolutely terrible!
mcdimmy10 May 2020
Don't even attempt it! I loveTerry but this movie shouldn't even be on Netflix. The plot is ridiculous, the movie is just all round horrible! Some scenes were surely shot on a low budget flip cellphone! It's not good!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goes down as one of the worst of all time
mrsmays_nita18 February 2020
The whole movie is a complete mess. I can't believe this made it to theaters. I'm so glad I waited to watch it for free and even then I wanted my time back.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful!
ahmadalnouri26 April 2020
Extremely awful , it deserve to be put in the nearest trash!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bad
jtags-8405910 May 2020
I don't know how this movie got made it was that bad. In this age of countless things to watch I can't believe this was able to be made and pass for entertainment. Save yourself some time and give this a big miss.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was that?
Terry Crews and Ludicrous should be ashamed and embarrassed . How desperate can you be to act in such a terrible low budget movie? I'm sure they don't NEED the money.( Which was probably very little). So why??? I don't get it. This movie was so crappy. I feel like I could have directed it better and written better lines. Good grief:((

I love Terry Crews ....but this??!!
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ill conceived stupidity
FilmCurator28 January 2020
Terry Crews as folklore hero, John Henry. Unfortunately, this film is far from a steel driving man character type. A silly story, with silly characters. It felt like an 8 year old wrote this story, and script. Lousy dialogue, lousy characters, and lacking a cohesive story. I did enjoy Ken Foree's performance, but it wasn't enough to save this crappy film. Anything for a buck filmmaking.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only 1 Good Thing...
mloentertainment19 May 2020
Only thing good in the whole move was...DJ Quick "Straight to City"

Everything else was a zero!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badd
mehdi_dialameh14 March 2020
Im sorry to say this but it was awfully week and bad. Bad movie. I should re watch a Nicolas cages movie it would be better
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
tarantino fail!!
rajan_bains-9583111 May 2020
Movie tries to copy the style of a classic revenge tarantino film... but, fails completely in every aspect. very corny script and terrible writing. i feel like this script wouldnt even do well in an 8th grade english class.

terry crews needs to stop taking whatever roll lands in front of him. and as for ludacris i expect nothing less!

don't waste ur time folks.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF was that?
michalbrazier13 May 2020
Big Terry Crews fan as well as Chris Bridges. The under motivated writing was drowned out by the soundtrack, which seemed to have a new tune every 5 lines or two minutes. I couldn't tell if this was a movie or a music video, noting the overwhelming music. The audio didn't help either. I spent 90 minutes with the volume controller in my hand between the ominous music tones and the low muttering lines spit. Just because something is in the top 10 on Netflix doesn't mean it's good, it's trending and those props go to the two aforementioned actors alone. Without Terry and Chris, no one would have watched this film. Disappointed to say the least. There are no spoilers to report because the movie itself is spoiled.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confusing mess
bbbollman11 May 2020
Where did the Hispanic girl come from? What about the old school mate what happens between them? Why is the music so loud you can't hear them speak? Why is there videos from 1994 popping up here and there? I understand the basic point of the movie but it's a hot confusing mess.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's about Respect
nogodnomasters2 February 2020
Terry Crews goes after his former gang members and family to save a couple of Honduran kids. In the end, he uses the sledgehammer you see on the DVD cover because he does not like guns.

Would have been better as the graphic novel they showed during the credits. Lots of blood. You knew where it was going and who cared? Never got to know the characters as half spoke Spanish and John didn't speak much.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, an impressively incoherent mess
shaneo9213 May 2020
Where to even begin with a movie like this. Between the absolutely nonsensical plot, lack of action, cringe worthy line delivery, and just pure boredom, this move really doesn't have anything going for it. We have terry cruz somehow being blackmailed into starring in this, and he plays a ptsd-ridden ex gang member who is currently living in Compton with his wheelchair bound father. So aside from watching an emotionless terry cruz do nothing except talk with caveman-like speach, you'd hope to at least see some action right? Nope. Pretty much goreless movie aside from some cgi blood splatter during the 3 minutes of actual action in this. Don't even get me started on the plot which is so nonsensical that you will be constantly questioning what is even going on. Literally so many plot holes coupled with random dream sequences make for a story that really does go nowhere. So don't be fooled by Terry and Ludicrous being in this. Seriously wondering what compelled them to even make this movie. It really is a The Room situation where the making of this would be more interesting than the actual movie itself. The worst part is, it's not even fun or action packed. And not only that, I can't even tell if this is paying homage to classic exploitation movies or what exactly. It's just an utter mess, unfortunately.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted Potential
ricksarkar6661 February 2020
Let get this straight onky reason I've rented this cz of Terry Crews, Ken Foree and Luda. With this kind of decent starcast you ought to make a decent John Henry adaptation. But it went downhill from the very start. Bad acting, horrendous screenplay and mediocre script. 15mins into the movie you will loose interest and after 30mins you are not missing anything. Its just plain boring. By the time they introduced "Hell" ( Luda ) you are not invested anymore. Only if you are a Terry Crews or Ken Foree fan you can give it a watch.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptionally Baddd!
covington_c20 May 2020
& I don't mean this in a good way. Acting wasn't terrible b/ the script was craptacular! I can't even imagine the actors were paid a lot to make this sulfuric poot of a rotten egg! It's so bad you just have to laugh!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.