The Guard of Auschwitz (2018) Poster

Horrible acting
info-7743026 May 2019
My compliments to the director to make with a very low budget ( I guess) this movie. With light and just a minimal decor he builds a good set.

However the acting is horrible, with some kind of Eastern Europe accent. The dialogs sound unnatural and the whole movie unfortunately turns into a school play of the 3th grade
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a good story but horrible acting
jeltestienstra25 May 2019
For starters, why in earth do the actors speak english with a very bad german accent. That fact alone makes it unwatchable. I think that if the movie was spoken in german, it would have been way better to watch. The story an sich is not badly told but the actors lack charisma.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A miserable attempt
marc-cheyne26 May 2019
WWII and Holocaust movies should be given that gravitas that the subject merits. Not just in the values of the plot, but in the production standards, too. Alas, everything in this movie reeks of poor production - low quality acting and sets.

If it's so bad (you may be wondering), why have most other reviewers given this movie of 9 or 10 stars? Well, most of those reviews occur on the same day - on May 14th or thereabouts. Just after it's inclusion on IMDB presumably. By people closely associated with the production, I'd guess. You see it on IMDB more and more, amidst mediocre ratings, there's usually a few reviewers awarding 9-10 stars. You can't rule out ulterior motives.

In conclusion, there are many great WWII dramas out there. Don't bother with this rubbish.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe how terrible the acting was!
mujomuric2 June 2019
Don't waste your time with this movie. The actors don't deserve even one star!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible acting
curtisratcliff1 June 2019
Whoever has rated this about 1 must have been involved with the production in some way it is seriously hurrendous, do not waste your time with this rubbish, if I could rate this -10 I would do
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
mediocre film
abarratt-877431 June 2019
This film had bad acting, bad accents. The storyline was weak and lacked a sense of direction. The film was too short. I wouldn't recommend it
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been...
davidfurlotte27 May 2019
I actually could not even finish the movie, and there are less than a handful of movies with that distinction.

The concept that not ALL the men who worked in the death camps were as evil as were made out to be, however, this movie needed something to elevate it to greatness.

I'm still not sure if it was the writing or the acting that brought this production down to the level of being compared to a grade three level play. It might have been the forced accents they used or the actors simply negated to get into character for their scenes.

Portraying Rachel as being strong and willful was ridiculous because if she began her stay in Auschwitz like that, she wouldn't have survived for more than 30 seconds. The main actor (the guard) basically reminded me of a person who was trying very hard to ACT as if he were compassionate. Therein lies the problem. When actors are seen as acting a part it means they don't believe the things they're saying and doing and if they don't believe it, there is no way to convince the audience.

One of the most ridiculous scenes in the movie is when Rachel gave birth to a child. A woman giving birth to her first child would not deliver it so quickly or as quietly as they tried to portray in the movie. There would have been some major distraction by many people in order to keep the birthing of a child a secret from the guards.

Overall, if you want to watch a good movie about life in the camps, I would suggest you watch Schindler's List.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's hardly a gaurd
stealthhaggis2 July 2019
Seriously, he's a guard for one shift! This film is clearly low budget, the music is annoying, the accents are excruciating and the acting is pretty poor. All in all, avoid.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Low Budget
There are quite a few low budget World War 2 films and for some reason, they all feel the same... regardless of Country or Origin, Bad Acting, Bad Sets, Historical Inaccuracies and scripts that should have gone in the bin rather than into production. This is no exception.

Think there was only 3 or 4 scenes throughout the whole film. The actors act like they were on a pantomime stage rather than a film set. Everything was Soooooo slow as well, it was worse than bad.

Please, don't waste your time like I did, you'll never get it back.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my very dear ....
geemarge-8411310 July 2019
I've given it two stars because I think they've tried , and as a fluffy nazi,the lead is easy on the eye. That's all really. Accents are so bad it's a worry anyone let that out into the public sphere. I think the main issue, when addressing the horrors of millions, millions and millions of Jews is that the impact cannot be made with four actors, a wobbly camera, some very clean stripy pjs and a really weak script. Imagine a local am dram doing a four page script over an hour, in a tiny room about a nazi who wants to be liked, a wanna be mean nazi with a little gun and two cans of Gas , oh and a baby ... yup that's it! Enjoy .
Low budget, bad acting.
amygrier-040355 June 2019
Must be a very low budget film, there are only three rooms where anything is filmed, very short film and boring storyline, must Auschwitz films are sad, this one was just boring.
Worst Auschwitz Movie Ever
shanemckernan4 June 2019
Pros: Just witnessed the worst acting ever. Cons: Boring yet pathetic storyline, complimented with irritating music throughout.

Conclusion: Value your time on earth & skip this movie.
A heart amongst them
naomiarcher-2751712 May 2019
This film brought to life a real and heart wrenching scenario of just some of the atrocities that happened during the Second World War. Michael McKell plays an evil SS officer perfectly and his daughter Claudia Grace McKell played Helena, who delivered a wonderful performance along with her Co star Lewis Kirk who played a compassionate guard, also a great performance.The film was excellent and I highly recommend viewing. I would like to have seen the ending on a more dramatic and happier note. Although the only happy outcome of WW2 was the death of the Fuhrer.
8 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie
chilvers-7494714 May 2019
Thought provoking. Amazing. It's wrong to say I enjoyed this movie as it is such a harsh eye opener but I did enjoy it. Sad awful truth of the sick minds of the war. Very well portrayed .
6 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
KirstyBowers-114 May 2019
Absolutely heart wrenching reality of the horror. Brilliant acting by all involved. Definitely worth the watch.
4 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch!
mollybrownuk14 May 2019
I recommend this film to anyone, a moving story with excellent acting. Filmmaking done perfectly - I was kept entertained throughout!

Give it a watch!
4 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gem of a Movie
shazlaw18 May 2019
A very thought provoking and heart wrenching gem of a film. A true master class in Independent film. Touching and moving performances by all involved,
3 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Auschwitz Guard who had a heart !
jessicaheff-7788412 May 2019
A very emotional film from the perspective of an Auschwitz Guard who actually had a heart ! Claudia Grace McKell was excellent in the role of Helena, a Jewish woman who was brought to the camp and even gave birth to a baby son while in captivity . Claudia's emotion was truly believeable . The Guard Hans was a man caught inbeteeen two worlds and his inner turmoil came across very well . Lewis Kirk was very good in this role . My highest praise must go to Michael McKell who played Klaus, the German Officer . He was so good in the role that I actually hated him ! Excellent acting and German accent from Michael McKell .

The film music was very appropriate and enhanced the film .

My only criticism was that perhaps due to budget etc I was hoping the script would have allowed Hans to help Helena and her baby escape this atrocity . I felt it abruptly ended with Helena and baby receiving cyanide .

I would recommend this film ! Well done to all .
2 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute waste of time
DrD312 June 2019
When will it end? The movie? The war? The constant endless conveyor belt of these lame attempts to vilify and victimize are so transparently bogus that any real researcher or astute historian can expose its endless shortcomings and outrageous exaggerations and outright lies.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.