The Mandalorian (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

2,549 Reviews
Best Star Wars since the original trilogy.
vincentvino10 December 2020
Jon Favreau should be in charge of all future Star Wars projects. It's exactly how it should be. I will not give 10 stars because nothing is perfect but this is very very close. Hats off!
449 out of 505 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the RIGHT way. The subtle difference between "reproducing" Star Wars and "recapturing" Star Wars. Why The Mandalorian gets Star Wars right
quiqueperezsoler1 November 2020
It's one thing to bring back elements, characters, settings and stories, and to flash them in front of the audience to cash in on the nostalgia and/or recognisable memorabilia but without using it to further the plot and other to do exactly the opposite. It was about time that Star Wars directives understood that it is too unique a product to be lend to corporate filmmakers. Star Wars needs to be understood and its uniqueness has to be acknowledged in order to make the new stories feel like they belong. This may sound too obvious but if you ever wondered why the new SW movies are so controversial this may be the reason.

Like with "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse (2018)" and their comicbook-industry experts participation, the creators behind The Mandalorian were experts of the industry, connoisseurs of the Star Wars Universe and even long time fans. So they were able to not only recapture the aesthetic of the grimy, battered Star Wars but also build upon it taking the most "subtle" things into account. Things like the predominancy of puppets and practical effects over CGI, settings you can feel and touch over green screens and the abundancy of not only known elements previously seen in Star Wars, but a whole batch of new creatures, designs and overall plot elements that felt like they belong to this universe and had always been there.

Exceeding expectations are not only the visual aspects but the narrative too. It might be too late for some story elements now, but it is of great importance that from now on you try to watch the unraveling of the story unspoiled. I was lucky to have seen the premiere of the show before the "memefication" of a certain "element" that went viral and became one of the biggest highlights of the show. But for me I saw the reveal of this element unspoiled and I was pleasantly shocked, a memory I'll always carry with me. The ability of these creators to generate such shock value and deep moments it's often baffling to me. This is proof that the creators behind the narrative are fully aware of the complexities of the universe they are tampering with and like an experienced surgeon, they are able to tweak, traverse and call back any Star Wars element as they please and with astonishing results.

It seems to be obvious that series creator Jon Favreau turns to gold everything he touches, from his influence in the MCU with the first Iron Man (2008) movie (still regarded today as a favorite among the infinite Marvel movies) to the remarkable and commercially successful live-action Jungle Book and Lion King Disney movies. He seems to understand how to treat a franchise not by exploiting the nostalgia aspects but rather use them to fuel new stories and "revive" the experience. Not to mention the contributors to this amazing show hype up the expectations and the quality of the show, from beloved names like Taika Watiti to legendary Star Wars showrunner Dave Filoni. The show today is in the most capable hands possible and away from the corporate meddling of Kathleen Kennedy.

Despite everything it does right, I have found some things that distanced me from it. It is merely one small and almost inevitable aspect I don't think a huge lore such as Star Wars can escape from. Something that makes the world-building so real: the subtle callbacks and references found on names and other elements. This is an aspect that non-Star Wars Lore fans (in which I have to identify myself as even though I have read and know some of the deeper lore) will not like or get as they are cast aside for not picking up or straight up know these references. If people don't know what a Gungan is they won't get the "you are as ugly as a Gungan" joke, for instance. But as for the rest, the story can be followed and understood because it feels self-contained and you don't need to know much about the SW status quo at the time other than (in simplified terms) an Empire ruled over the galaxy and now it's over, in this world there are mercenaries that adhere to a code among themselves, there's a magical energy flowing through all of us called The Force, there's a group of Force-wielding knights that fight with light swords, and that's about it. Anything else you need to know it is presented in the story or explained through exposition, which in a huge universe that is Star Wars it is a must in order to be able to tell a story worthy of SW.

As for the show itself, these are some of the most predominant reasons why The Mandalorian gets Star Wars right (reasons I believe stand out among many others the show has) -- WARNING: MILD MILD SPOILERS AHEAD OF SEASON 1:

• The treatment of the Force -- long gone were the days when the Force had nothing new to teach us. It seemed we have seen it all and had witness it being reduced to a "superpower" the Jedis use to move objects. But perhaps the biggest aspect that seemed to bring controversy is the treatment of the force as this quantifiable and immutable force presented in the Prequels. However, the most successful Star Wars stories have not treated it as such, despite the fact that this new addition was provided by its own creator, George Lucas; in fact, the most successful Star Wars stories have expanded on the capabilities of the force still considering it a mystifying and intangible energy that lives in all of us and the binds the universe together. The Mandalorian takes place post Empire, which means the force has started to be known across the galaxy thanks to the Legend of Luke Skywalker, auguring the return of the Jedi Knights. Therefore, treating the force used by the so-called "baby yoda" as a powerful and non-understanding power but in fact recognised by some who have heard of it is a genius move as it makes it magical and uncharted still, a long lost ethereal power that exists beyond our comprehension. The force should be something we don't fully understand yet nor people in universe will fully understand either. By allowing the force to be pure and uncharted, there's room for more creative uses of it that when done right can provide of elevated moments. This are shown especially on episodes 7 and 8 of season 1 where by using terms like "a group of sorcerers called Jedi", "I have heard of this power" and "i have seen him move things with its mind" makes the force more mystified and bewildering.

• The puppets -- say whatever you want about the incredible alien, prop and set designs of other Star Wars main stream media (TV shows, video games, movies with some really good exceptions of course) but I am one to believe that generally the main reason why none of the later Star Wars media released after the OT were really embraced by everyone as part of the universe is because the "feel" of the world we were seeing was not the same. Star Wars stood out from sci-fi like Star Trek and other more "clean and smooth" worlds by building a grimy, run-down and almost post-apocalyptic set and prop design with a huge contrast of advanced technology. So when The Mandalorian brought it back, not only by imitating the set and character designs and such but by expanding upon those by using new imagery and creating new alien species that fit with that new world, it was a display of world-understanding beyond any new incorporations Abrams, Johnson and even good ol' George Lucas had ever brought post-OT. By bringing back puppets and practical effects and make up it shows and it gives you the satisfaction of knowing in 30 years it will still hold up because they are physical things, tangible by the actors and even though "baby yoda" moves and when grabbed looks like a sack of potatoes, you don't mind because you know it exists, it is there, you can hold it. I'll take your fully-functioning puppet over the best CGI because truth is, in some years, the CGI will have improved so much you'll start to see the cracks when looking back.

• Cinematic Special Effects for a TV show -- this may be known for those who keep up with Star Wars news or watch the Mandalorian documentaries in Disney+, but the innovative tech used for the background and other special effects is almost revolutionary and provides a high quality that resembles that of a cinematic film. Needless to say, the special effects, real-model sets design and other props allows the universe to exist and be tangible instead of rendering a scene that with tim we'll notice it doesn't really exist

END OF SPOILERY STUFF --

IN CONCLUSION, The Mandalorian is a worthy sequel to the OT, maintaining the same aesthetic, themes and recognisable elements but providing new and incredible ideas that amount to the incredible universe that is Star Wars. If they are able to keep it up it'll become one of the best SW media to come in its history. Disney Star Wars seems to know what it's doing now after stumbling a couple of time and I commend them for it. SW isn't an easy franchise to expand and continue despite the amount of stories that are left to be told. You know the saying "Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans". But I praise the work done by everyone involved...

... This is the way.
410 out of 467 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The vibe is finally right
jonahetheredge12 November 2019
This is the Star Wars atmosphere and feeling I've been waiting for. No dumb humor, cool characters, and a story I can take seriously. I'm a big fan of what they've done with this series so far and current Star Wars filmmakers need to take notes. The cinematography is amazing. You can tell they use practicality as much as possible and CGI is used only for the obvious like spaceships and creatures etc. It's a truly remarkable balance of old and new.
1,767 out of 2,075 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dave Filoni & Jon Favreau are the future of Star Wars
directorseaich12 November 2019
What an incredible leap into Live Action Star Wars television. The Mandalorian delivers in both capturing the feel of the classic trilogy as well as it's own unique identity. A sweet spot of western/ sci fi/ action and comedy. Many Star Wars fans have experienced the expertly crafted stories by Filoni in series like "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels". His influence shines bright in The Mandalorian and I believe Star Wars fans will be absolutely thrilled to see his expertise once again bring excitement and wonder back to a Galaxy Far Far Away.
1,296 out of 1,572 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Mandalorian - Now THIS is Star Wars
vanja-pletikosic16 November 2019
This show is such a refreshing breeze of great quality Star Wars. Hopefully with Episode 9, this horrible era of Star Wars will end, and we will finally get what we all wanted the whole time - great stories set in the Star Wars universe. Stories like this, that make sense. Stories that hook us and make us want more, make us relate to the characters on the screen, just by showing their weaknesses along with their strengths. The Mandalorian has faced more adversity in these two episodes than Rey has in two three hour movies. Definitely my favorite character of the Disney Star Wars era, and he has only said a few lines. Brilliant directing, brilliant script, brilliant execution of everything. I can't wait to see where the story goes.

John Favreau you have my gratitude and respect!
1,009 out of 1,263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can the real Star Wars please stand up!
ikana7018 November 2019
Finally, this feels like the Star Wars universe. The cinematography, the atmosphere, the story line, wow! My only negative is, the episodes are too short.
782 out of 987 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kathleen Kennedy,JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson take notice. This is how you do Star Wars
brentscott22 November 2019
This is Star Wars. It feels like Star Wars. It Looks Like Star Wars. Why is this such a tough concept for the geniuses associated with the films to get? No subversion's needed, no forced 8 yr old humor, no political agenda. Just make it look and feel like the original Star Wars trilogy and fans will be happy, its literally that simple.
750 out of 967 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far so good
MarkoutTV12 November 2019
I like that they gave the Mandalorian some personality, some good vistas and action setpieces, solid comedy, fun little additions to the Star Wars canon (bounty droids are officially awesome) and a general sense of adventure that I dig. It's all very small and big at the same time. All good stuff and I hope they can keep it up.

I especially appreciate the fact they employed the services of Carl Weathers
651 out of 868 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now THIS is star wars!
snh-8066812 November 2019
This is the closest in FEEL we've ever gotten to the originals. The first episode captured the vision i had as child, lying in bed, reading about bounty hunters and the sleazy underground they operated in. All the while making up my story of how I was too sick to go to school, just so I could stay home and get lost in the universe laid before me. I really feel like I was watching an expanded universe book come to life! I can't think of how they could have pulled this off better! Hats off to Jon Favreau for his true understanding of star wars, and Dave Filoni for setting the tone of the series in such a perfect way. My childhood thanks you!
635 out of 856 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Hope
diornodouwes12 November 2019
A new chapter for Star-Wars, one like we haven't seen before. First of all, you can feel the star wars vibe from a mile away. The beautiful world-building production- and costumedesign, the thrilling cinematography and the great (sound)editing. There are however some aspects that divide this artwork from the trilogies. the type of storytelling for example. focusing completely on one character, and making this one character so interesting.

With a great cast and great producers, I have high hopes for this little show. Thanks in advantage, Mr. Favreau.
554 out of 747 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cowboy in a Galaxy Far, Far Away = Pure Magic
Her-Excellency22 November 2019
The Mandalorian (so far) has everything anyone could ask for. It is SO well-crafted, I have yet to see one flaw in it.

Pedro Pascal (is it really him under that mask 100% of the time?) is fantastic as the imperturbable, or so it would seem, outer-space tough guy bounty hunter with a soft, heart-of-gold, and a helmet that into the third episode, still does not budge. We know it's coming though, don't we, and waiting, is a small fraction of the fun. At least it is for me.

While it is somewhat on the side of slow-paced vs. fast-paced, in my opinion that just adds to the appeal. You can savor the onscreen antics, action and dialogue, while knowing more is coming. Actually, you find it kind of exquisite in its pacing. I literally dare you to look away. Not because you think you'll miss anything, but because even at its steady pace, you won't want to. Speaking of which, the visuals are quite impressive. The entire thing IS a Lucas Star Wars landscape. At no time can anyone see a 1-minute clip of The Manadalorian without knowing immediately that it belongs to the Star Wars universe. The twist, is that thrown into this universe now, is this strong proverbial cowboy of few words, who carries a big stick.

I'm a fan, and can hardly wait for more episodes.
352 out of 489 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My faith in Disney Star Wars has been restored
thorbutwithagut12 November 2019
Easily the best thing Disney Star Wars has produced, and my faith in Disney Star Wars has been restored. Great job on this one Disney!! And on a side note, I think Jon Favreau oughta be running Disney Star Wars instead of Kathleen Kennedy because he actually understands how to capture the essence of Star Wars.
584 out of 826 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent! And I m not even a star wars fan...
ThomDerd20 December 2020
Jon Favreau did a fantastic job here. Beautiful and well crafted series that binds nicely in the star wars story and gives more depth to it. 10/10 Highly recommended.
54 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're a SW fan, you must watch
neoclone0729 October 2020
There's not much to say here... it's a great show, with solid acting, great cast, a script that dives into SW lore, superb fx (both pratical and digital) which leads to a real SW atmosphere (which lacks in the last movie trilogy). I'm a long time SW fan and you can say that the new trilogy brought new stuff into the franchise, blablabla... but no, the trilogy is a pain in the ass to watch indeed. So, instead, watch The Mandalorian, it's way much better in so many ways.
108 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the way
nerdgasms23 November 2019
I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I have to admit, all hope was beginning to be lost. I was excited for The Mandalorian but had my bar set very low. But my God man this is amazing! I can't believe it's this good! The OG Star Wars vibes are crazy! It's like they took the original Star Wars and buffed it with modern day big budget CGI without making it a crappy blockbuster. The story is actually incredible so far and every episode is better than the last. I was gonna just watch these online but I've gotta support Disney+ for finally allowing something good to come out of them owning Star Wars. Thanks Jon Favreau, this is the way.
328 out of 470 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's decent.
jaimesilva4 February 2021
Almost every episode is the same. This show is like when you get to the last castle as Mario and are told that the princess is in another castle. The music can be improved, the acting isn't the best from some of the cast. The action is pretty decent though. It's Star Wars and Disney has given us doo-doo for the past few years, so a decent show is really surprising. At first I thought the show was boring, but now I appreciate anything because of the terrible Star Wars movies. Overall, solid action, main character is cool, bad music, bad dialogue, good story. 7/10 is fair. 5 is average, 6 is okay. 7 is decent.
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating, entertaining and beautiful to watch, most of all quite successful!
tuomas_864 April 2021
Within a week, I watched all 2 episodes of the season. That is, this review is based on the feelings of these seasons.

It is said that it just made sense to applaud when the final texts started. 4k and hdr, it was a great experience between a very beautiful view. It was really annoying when those episodes so far ended. I didn't come up with a bad word ...
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Favereau and Filoni seek to resurrect star wars
ruelshepperd22 December 2020
The Mandalorian combines great visuals, compelling characters and great action to result in a series that trounces Disney's previous efforts of a trilogy. This was clearly made for both casual and long time fans and both will be rewarded. It may have some episodic episodes but even those have great character development for the title character. A resounding success, especially after the second season.
38 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Is Star Wars.
Mappers-Buckles15 December 2020
This is just Star Wars, amazing, true to what it's worth in Star Wars history In other words if you're a loyal Star Wars fan you won't be disappointed in what you see, in itself, they did a very good job that paid off. 100% Recommended.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish the episodes were longer
audsnends19 November 2019
Really liking the series so far, however I find myself settling in to a great story only to be cut off quickly.
207 out of 327 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's okay
Homer_Ate25 December 2020
It plays it very safely. Each episode is very much the same, land on a planet, help a local militia fight something, a small skirmish and episode ends. And there's no tension in the fight scenes, the Mandalorian easily dispenses of his does. With that being said it is innocent fun.
92 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I rather pay to see this in the cinema than Episode 9
panzerskraft23 November 2019
So far I've seen three chapters and I would actually rather pay to see the rest of the chapters at the cinema than Episode 9 when it's released in a couple of weeks. We already know what garbage Disney cocked up there - based upon episodes 7 and 8. The Mandalorian is fun and exciting with a true Star Wars feeling. No identity politics that I've noticed so far. Just plain good and simple goodness.
191 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what we want man......!
kingvenu7730 October 2020
Kudos to Jon Favreau, do what ever you want, we believe you and take star wars to another level
47 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is Star Wars
dgui-2287421 December 2020
This is the true Star Wars. Ignore the last three movies. They never happend. They're not Star Wars. This is Star Wars.

And by the way. This is how you show strong independet women without shoving it in the face. Not the useless boring Mary Sue Palpatine disaster who is a joke of a character, a human and a woman.

So listen Disney. Give those two directors everything they need and let them do the rest.
33 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Setting over everything else
madameminty1 February 2020
There's no actual plot. Every single character is at best one-dimensional. Things happen because banal clichés collide, cause shootouts, then leave the scene fundamentally unchanged. Conflicts arise because people are stupid.

The setting feels very genuine and eye candy, so there's that.

Is it better Star Wars than the recent movies? Yes. Is it better entertainment? Also yes. But think about it: this is not saying much, now is it?

This is good only for setting-starved, die hard fans with no reference. Also for door murder fetishists. Otherwise? I've found myself hoping it would end sooner.
119 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.