In the Shadow of the Moon (2019) Poster

In the shadow of the mehn
xdeschuyter-014106 October 2019
Even though the plot was pretty much clear from the start, the first part of the movie was enjoyable. A certain tension, a certain nostalgia. But then it all starts going downhill until it end in the sewers. The vague ethical elements never rise above kindergarten level, the science is preposterous and the "USA is the world" assumption is tedious. The acting is decent, so is the music and lighting. Too bad, as with nearly every movie these days, the plot didn't get as much attention.
150 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts off well, then steadily goes down hill
facebook-1751412 October 2019
This movie starts off with potential and has excellent production values. The cast do their jobs competently and the direction is excellent. The problem is with the story. It begins as a thriller and then leaves us with a vomit worthy message that if you don't like certain ideas, then the best way to oppose those ideas is to kill everyone who holds them. Pathetic stuff. We now live in the age of stupid.
186 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting thriller
nicholls905-280-54691127 September 2019
It's refreshing to find a mid range budgeted thriller. The film is unafraid to attempt high concept storytelling and for the better part of the running time it works. There are some strong flaws, but if you can go with the film, you'll enjoy the twists and turns. Nice to see Netflix relying on these high concept to lure audiences, who are trapped by mega studios pumping superheroes at us. Not great, but I thought it was interesting.
237 out of 373 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good beginning then downhill
ron-027773 November 2019
Started out interesting.. But then got rediculous.. Horrible ending.. Could have been much better
67 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Virtue Signalling in a Time Machine
stephendelaunay21 October 2019
This convuluted mess of a movie is as morally twisted as the plot is. It will please those who consider it ethical to plant an ax in the head of the babysitter of the grandmother of a really bad person. If that's you... enjoy!
78 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uneventful scifi
tykjpeis20 October 2019
Movie follows a well known story. The main problem is that this story has no climax. Whatever suspense it builds up the ending craps on.

You keep hoping for some satisfying conclusion and get some uninteresting mumbo jumbo.

See the movie if there is nothing else - it entertains until the ending, but you are left with nothing.
43 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed this.
johnjkelly-3611929 September 2019
It's mid budget and reasonable acting etc. There are a lot of negative comments and some people are offended way too easily, perhaps some are looking into it way too much for faults and racism, it's fiction. There are a hell of a lot more offensive movies out there, I am 58 and white and I did not even think of any of the things that some of the overly sensitive reviewers on here so just enjoy it as the fictional movie that it is and not a propaganda movie with messages of hate.
190 out of 307 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't expect the expecting
ks-6050017 April 2020
I would say half way the movie go just clearly it's at terminator story. Even the concept is similar, but the end is full of surprise. Love how the story was written and think deeply, it makes sense most of the time. Watch it you will know what I'm talking about. Cannot fast forward of this movie. Every minutes matters.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylized and tantalizing mix of police procedural crime thriller & sci-fi
fewald13927 September 2019
Edit: I realized only after submitting this review and getting tons of unhelpful votes that this movie has been heavily politicized and there are floods of people down-voting any positive review not for its content, but for its rating. For what it's worth, I cover the ambiguity of the movie's moral lessons in my review (that many clearly didn't read before down-voting). I happened to like that "is this really for the best?" ambiguity that ending entailed. Not once did I find this movie to be beating the viewer over the head with a political message; if anything, I found it opened one's eyes to the possibility that "for the greater good" is a flawed concept. I hate that this movie has been so politicized; as a centrist myself, I found no political slant to the movie and was surprised to hear of people wanting to boycott it. In this awful "cancel culture" waged by both sides of the political divide, I welcome movies like this that make viewers THINK. After all, if people are calling for a piece of art to be boycotted, you can be sure it has ruffled enough feathers to be a worthwhile discussion piece. So if you're a potential viewer hoping to avoid political bias, I say go into this with an open mind. I didn't find it as cut and dry as others, but then again, I'm not easily offended in the slightest.

"You're crazy," Locke says at one point when speaking to a man on one side of this moral debacle.

"I think we're both beyond the pale," the enemy replies.

THIS quote is apt, neatly laying out what I believe the true intent was for this movie. The murders committed are awful. The crimes they prevented were awful. Both sides are beyond the pale, mirroring the political divide happening around this movie's message that neither extreme can be a hero. How ironic; the controversy surrounding In the Shadow of the Moon matches its outlook. Now, on to the original review.

In the Shadow of the Moon somehow takes multiple genres and mashes them together to come up with a highly unique viewing experience that actually works. Locke is a cop on the job in 1988 when he investigates a series of mysterious murders that all happen at the same time and have multiple ties that baffle detectives and forensic investigators alike. So begins a chase over the decades involving a cop who slowly mentally degrades and a suspect who can't seem to be caught or killed. Another review stated the twist is too expected, yet they also said the movie could've been less convoluted, which sounded conflicted to me. The fact that the storyline was so complex and yet so easily understood worked well in this movie's favor, in my opinion. Because we follow the viewpoint of an investigator throughout the movie, we can slowly unravel the pieces to the puzzle alongside him so that the movie feels complete and satisfying without relying on plot holes or the convenience of confusing its audience by pulling the "because it's sci-fi!" card.

Who is Boyd Holbrook, and why the heck isn't he in more stuff? This was the first time I've seen him in anything. He did a fantastic job playing Locke. His character evolves so greatly throughout the movie, and he played each step believably and was a delight to watch. Cleopatra Coleman served her role as Rya well, but I wasn't as impressed with her usually stone-faced performance. She was believable, but she didn't stand out. Bokeem Woodbine was fantastic as Locke's partner Maddox. The sound design in this movie is outstanding, mixing distortion and music to ideally fit the mysterious but enthralling action pieces (particularly the first set of murders in '88 that are shown within the first ten minutes). The cinematography was fantastic to the point of being noticeable. This movie sucks you into its world and immerses you, its long takes allowing you time to focus on its plotline one decade at a time. In the Shadow of the Moon somehow is able to pull off multiple decades believably without relying on bashing the audience over the head with distracting nostalgia. Finally, while the movie starts out viewing these crimes as murders and ends up explaining the snowball effect leading up to them, it opens the door for philosophical questions regarding morality and time travel. I love, love, love thought-provoking movies like this.

If I have any complaints about In the Shadow of the Moon, it's that once the police thriller dissipates (as Locke becomes more deranged and isolated) and holds hands with the final sci-fi act, it slows down a little in pace. I was still glued to the screen as all story arcs began to merge and close, don't get me wrong, but the gritty city feel from the first half was so well-done I craved more and more. But looking over the movie with a critical lens, I can't see that they could've pulled it off any other way. This slowdown was necessary to the plot, and the development of both the story and the characters (particularly Locke) were handled with delicacy.

Overall, this is one Netflix movie you need to put on your queue and give a shot. Netflix has a lot of misses you have to dig through to find stuff like this. You might not love In the Shadow of the Moon as much as I did because tastes are subjective, but it is undoubtedly a well-directed and put together movie with a unique merge of genres that you owe it to yourself to try. Fantastic work, Jim Mickle. Boyd Holbrook, I'll be keeping my eye out for you in other movies. You caught my attention here.
228 out of 397 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
weird one
trashgang17 June 2020
Picked this one out of the blue on Netflix. Not knowing what it was going to be, no research whatsoever to see whats it all about.

Glad that I have seen it, this was a hell of a ride. Starting as like a serial killer is out there this one turns into something like The Terminator. Excellent performances espescially from Boyd Holbrook. Great story that you can't see coming.

Nice to see Michael C. Hall again, been a while.

If you like your flicks weird then this is one to see. Not one boring moment.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 0/5
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same old Netflix
mgd_m9 October 2019
Netflix thinks that in order to make a good movie you just need a nice photography. But everything else here is laughable: plot holes, atmosphere, characters, dialogues, camerawork, acting, and a rushed ending.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 1 stars are correct
bigv-5278314 October 2019
Essentially, when your motivation is to justify fascism ( hurting others that don't agree with your political beliefs) then this boring farce exists.

Netflix needs a propaganda category so they can honestly rate these and move them out of the entertainment genre.
90 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood Left Wing Moralizing takes a Sinister turn
billsauce-272331 October 2019
Its no big secret that Hollywood has a pretty Left wing Liberal bias but this movie really does go way too far in the inflammatory political baiting and divisiveness . What initially starts off as a somewhat entertaining Sc-Fi yarn quickly reveals itself to be something really quite sinister.

Its pretty hard to defend the central message of this movie unless you are a really fanatical Leftist or a member of Antifa. that message being that right wing views are so dangerous that its ok to kill people to stop those ides from being heard, held or disseminated . the exact ideas that are so dangerous that it justifies premeditated extra judicial murder are never adequately defined or explained just merely implied to be right wing/White and "Patriotic"

Its definitely worrying that what would not too long ago have been seen as extreme fringe political views are now mainstream offering.
218 out of 388 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An almost interesting fairy tale.
draciron9 October 2019
The good. Original plot twists, a couple which may have never been done in a major movie before. Though the theme and core idea borrows heavily from 12 Monkeys.

The movie does build suspense and a dark brooding atmosphere like 12 monkeys did in the first hour, then unravels as the plot is thrust unwillingly into an otherwise good story. You can almost think of it as 2 movies in 1. The first movie is well acted, directed, with excellent sound and decent action scenes. A little over the top but mild compared to the drivel Hollywood is producing today.

The bad. This film could have seriously benefited from a science adviser. This is what initially kills suspension of belief as the, I cannot call it even pseudo science, it's not even good magic, begins to degrade the story and tug the viewer away. This destroys the suspense and the big reveal is not even a weak anti-climax.

Huge plot holes develop as the writers lose track of what wrote previously. This throws you out, and before you can get lured back into the fantasy they commit another egregious error. The specifics would give away the entire movie, so are omitted, but clearly no one with even a high school physics course, the most rudimentary understandings of sociology, psychology or really any branch of physics, especially biology, all are not even given cartoon like salutes. The story just steamrolls through blunder after blunder.

Now for the really ugly. The political bias just leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. It's scary that even a child could buy into a plot idea so naive, much less destroy what otherwise could have been an excellent film. I strongly suspect the first half of this movie was stolen from another story. It starts too well, flows too well to be hacked by such oafish hands in the last half of the movie. There were a million ways this movie could have developed, but the least plausible and most predictable was chosen.

By yanking the viewer out so violently the one really inspired plot twist is aborted and thrown to the floor to thrash in artistic agony.

In the end it becomes a really pale imitation of 13 monkeys without the hard hitting story. that made 13 monkeys such an incredible movie. My advice, watch the first hour then turn the movie off. Be left with the magic they were able to conjure without the corpse they eventually produce.
40 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What if she was killing black people for their ideas???
satilla4 October 2019
Before telling me this is just a movie try imagining she was killing black people for their "IDEAS" ??? We all know Hollywood wouldn't have allowed it in the first place . So why do they allow it when it is against white people ? This is a clear message to watchers that it is ok to kill white people if you don't like their ideas. How is this movie allowed to be aired, this movie is clearly giving a violent and inhumane message. Also movie is really poorly directed and it is just stealing ideas of many other movies on a shallow level .
68 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just skip this one
RJL8629 September 2019
Started out very interesting. But at the end it went downhill fast. Clearly a political agenda behind this. It promotes violence against people who have a different view.
149 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another garbage flick from netflix
thegoatandhammer30 October 2019
This movie begins so well, it has a great start! And then it goes the way of 99% of all Netflix movie production.

They thought they could just take a political opinion and turn it into a movie. This is one of those films that could have been made on Netflix and never on the big screen simply because of just how half baked and stupid it is.

Save yourself the 110 minutes (this joke is that long!).
48 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beginning was good, but terrible ending
markandtsimpson4 October 2019
Horrible, the beginning had promise but the end was like something Hitler would write.
55 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
predictable story (reminds me DARK german series)
narendra-pal8 October 2019
The story is lame and predictable. I watched a German web series DARK and there are lots of similarities between these two. In Dark (time-travel) time line is 33 years and for this movie time line is 9 years. Concept is same "everything connected". Acting is really bad specially by lead characters and editing is pathetic. After seeing DARK and this movie I can say that one of them is inspired by other or may be both are inspired by same source. Thanks
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started off intresting, but didn't come through
jonasies25 October 2019
The idea of the movie was interesting, the build up was intriguing, but unfortunately the movie ended abruptly and left so many questions behind. You literally get nothing explained. These Netflix specials always end up disappointing. They should stick to series.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
derekwilson-1274628 September 2019
Unevenly paced, insipid character development, and ambiguous plot. The hatred message at the end just added insult to injury. I'm surprised Michael C Hall agreed to this. Even more disappointed in the director from "Cold In July" to have crafted such a poor movie.
182 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film
brummieman28 September 2019
So people are rating this low because it is alleged that it has a political message of 'wipe out an opposite view'? have they been hiding under a rock since cinema began? Most films before I was even born have been about one enemy wiping out another, morality has not been the premise of most films through cinematic history . This is simply an action film not based on real life, its obviously not a true story , the heart of it is simply the idea that if you were to, for instance, wipe out Hitler or his parents you potentially save millions of people from all different backgrounds. so do you wipe out the few or let the millions die? I suppose these films serve a good purpose in opening up the debate so I'll give it a 7 . Watch the film, enjoy it, its a good story , somewhat predictable at times but a good twist in the end.
124 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engaging & Imaginative Police Thriller with a Twist too Slow & too Expected
TwistedContent27 September 2019
The talanted horror/thriller director Jim Mickle (Cold in July; Stake Land) teams up with the rising star Boyd Holbrook & brings to Netflix his newest piece - the exciting and entertaining mystery detective/killer flick "In the Shadow of the Moon".

"In the Shadow of the Moon" starts like any other police thriller, introducing us to a duo of likeable cops, a damp city full of crime & a mystery in the making. Through equal amounts of engaging drama, energetic action and time skipping we steadily move forward to the solution of the mystery, accompanied by the obsessive detective Lockhart who's got some heavy burdens on his shoulders. Boyd Holbrook, whom I first saw on "Narcos" (as I'm sure many people did as well) gives a great lead performance as detective Lockhart & the supporting cast helps him out well, especially Bokeem Woodbine & Cleopatra Coleman. The revelation of the sci-fi twist & the point of the mystery comes a tad bit too slowly & doesn't quite have the impact one would wish for, but, nevertheless, while "In the Shadow of the Moon" left me wanting more, at the same time the ending felt right. The themes of horrors and wonders of humanity & family values are served well. We cannot forget that the movie also looks gorgeous, has a decent original score, well made action sequences & even features a few bloody scenes for the horror fans. In summary, "In the Shadow of the Moon" kinda looks like, feels like and plays out like a big-screen movie.

I think this movie could've been a little less convoluted, with a different, less straight forward mystery building structure, but the result is still engaging, handsome and thoughtful thriller piece. My rating: 7/10.
108 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another political "message" from Hollywood
rodhackenflasch1 October 2019
Would've been a great flick if it didn't include the inferred premise that it's somehow "noble" to murder conservatives for their political beliefs.
73 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible movie
sukmansky-0571125 November 2019
One of the worst I ever saw. Obviously politically motivated. With dangerous moral message.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.