The Unfamiliar (2020) Poster

5/10 for effort.
gothic-fiction22 August 2020
Now we could argue that the theme of the movie is so overused that there is no point in expecting anything truly great, yet, if you look at superhero movies you will find some, like The Dark Knight that make everything just right, and I really want to start this review, basing what I am going to say upon it.

Yes, The Unfamiliar is not original, it has however a better, somewhat of a The Others vibe to it, managed to trick me into thinking something else entirely and for that, well my hat is off. The problem here is the fact that it reveals itself too early and tries and manages to offer a lot of action in the third act, but it felt unnatural and even bored me at times. The ending itself is a bit too out there, but not a deal breaker, but a worthy conclusion I guess, and that is about all I can say without revealing anything that will spoil the action for others.

There are pluses, good actors/characters, good tension built in the beginning, some nice reveals, good offtrack throws, but they didn't really bring anything new, they simply did their job right but in the same way others done it before them. The people involved in the production of The Unfamiliar needed someone with more guts, that would have had the courage to go further and blend in some new elements here. All in all a good production, but still, nothing you haven't seen before.

I do recommend it, it should be viewed by horror fans, goes down great with junk food and beverages and in the end, it will probably be soon forgotten.

Cheers!
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch?
the_nephilim7115 November 2020
The film starts off really well and has some spooky moments but once it gets to about the half-way point, it devolves quickly. To be frank, the last half is a total train wreck. They pretty much were just throwing all the possession tropes against a wall to see what would stick. The lead actress is quite good.
Had potential
ScottDWhalen30 September 2020
Had potential with a couple good creepy spots but not one good jump scare & honestly the very end was EXTREAMLY predictable! I rate this as Junk with potential!
Great movie!!!
medsavingsu15 September 2020
If you need to fall asleep at night! No thrills in this dull performance bore fest knock off.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neither terribly new nor terribly bad
ravencorinncarluk5 September 2020
This really rides right down the middle for me. Concept isn't exactly ground-breaking, but there was enough variety and differences to be enjoyable. Moves along pretty fast at times, but then will leave you questioning what just happened.

Not the worst thing ever by a long shot, but not at all scary.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I talk to daddy when he goes to sleep
nogodnomasters25 August 2020
Izzy returns from Afghanistan with a mild case of PTSD. She is a doctor, soldier, mom, and an auto mechanic. Her husband Ethan (Christopher Dane ) is a professor at Oxford for studies ancient Polynesian history. He wants to go on vacation to Hawaii and return all his artifacts. They have three children, an older daughter from a previous marriage.

Things happen around the house that Ethan claims is just PTSD. Izzy believes otherwise. Son Tommy (Harry McMillan-Hunt ) is acting a bit weird.

There are other horror films with a similar theme. In those, you know what is going on. In this one, you have to use the clues which don't lead you to any kind of answer. You know when Izzy knows.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reviews don't do it justice
livin_the_weekend23 August 2020
*NON-SPOILER*

Yes, this is a mid-low budget film. Yes, not many people have heard of it. Yes, it doesn't have huge named actors in it.

But...... The storyline and acting in this is actually really good. If I'm honest, I was unsure on both fronts to begin with, but as the film got further along, you could see the talent on show.

As for the storyline, I don't like to give away any spoilers, but it does start very quickly and you'll be wondering what exactly is happening. Things do develop and then explain themselves in time. It has genuinely creepy moments and moments of horror with a decent storyline to go with it.

I would've rated this more but there are aspects to the film that let it down, like the lack of background on why what happens actually happens. Scenes jumping quickly from one to the next without any middle ground is another reason.

Regardless, this film isn't less than a 4/10 which it's currently rated at, if you like horror and are open minded, it's definitely a solid 6.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your time
dlarry-8812426 August 2020
This movie was just bad. I dont believe any of the writer's, actors or crew had ever been to Hawaii making it hard for me to wach. The Brady Bunch Hawain curse telivision episode was much better. This movie is not clever not any attempt at a story that is original or compelling.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG!!
jessybessys24 September 2020
There is bad, really bad, plain aweful and then 'The Unfamiliar'. Fell asleep after 15min
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DODGY RATINGS
wonkyong-1268621 September 2020
The film house and associates must surely be rating this a 10... Hats off to them for trying to make the rating more appealing - get spambots to assist with the 10's for this was REALLY painful to watch .
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
*NON-SPOILER* Getting familiar with The Unfamiliar
monetteigrec4 September 2020
After creating a comfy environment (popcorn, drawn curtains, blankets, lights off, sound on) I sat down to watch the much anticipated The Unfamiliar. From rich imagery to eerie sounds I was definitely intrigued. Needless to say, my popcorn bowl went flying a couple minutes in, that was the only real jump scare that I got, which I can appreciate.

I felt that the movie had a strong plot BUT I would have liked some elements of the story and characters to be a bit more exposed. The cinematography was awesome and the movie score was impressive. Jemima West's performance was spectacular, I felt like she really leapt into her character and created a feeling of relatability for the audience.

All in all, I enjoyed The Unfamiliar and would have loved to have seen it in the cinemas. The first few reviews I read do not do it justice.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a weird movie.
lorddrewsus16 September 2020
I don't know where this came from. The characters are fairly well developed. Minus one "18" year old daughter. A very spooky vibe in some parts. Twists and pretty good acting. Including the crazy Polynesian priestess. The CGI eyes at the end are lacking big Hollywood effects, but the rest of the movie was good. The tar, though. That was weird af.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
nikipons24 September 2020
All entitled to our own opinion but this is just garbage it's so confusing it starts off and u think itll be decent until they change it up way too much and just twist things I mean come on.. why does the devil sneak around like hes in a spy movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NO, rodgers-09462...no.
ravenhair70224 August 2020
Okay, rodgers-09462. Your review, and I quote..."Greatest horror movie ever made." REALLY! Tell me, is it comfortable under that rock you live? I'm saying that because you probably don't get out much. Because I can count at least a HUNDRED horror movies that are better than this piece of crap. Lets see about this movie. Boring. Uneventful. No jump scares. At no time was I scared. You get the picture, and by the way, I NAILED it as far as the review. As a game, my wife and I guess at what IMDB gives as a rating after we watch a movie. I guessed 3.9 and it was EXACTLY 3.9. Can I call a crap movie or what. Look, people, if you want a confusing, non-scary horror movie, this is what you want to watch. Me? I'm gonna go drink and try to forget I watched this dull garbage. Peace. P.S. Just so you know I watched it, IMDB, woman returns home from war as a medical doctor and finds out something strange is going on and it's not PTSD. There.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this was dog 💩
maddieb-4010919 September 2020
Literally the worst movie i have ever seen. absolute garbage.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A family of strangers...
steynvn18 September 2020
I really enjoyed this film, it was a fresh new concept to horror, bringing together the impact of war and what it does to a person alongside the fear of the unknown when returning to a family you know but who are strangers at the same time.

Visually I found it quite intriguing and appreciated the effort which had been taken to tell us the story of such an unknown culture and its own demons and urban legends.

Well made and well received!

4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid horror film!
cornerudolph9 September 2020
Captivating, fun and a solid story. I enjoyed the bread crumbs that it left along the way. Great twists and an interesting mythology. Personally I'm a music lover so the score was something that really stood out for me too. Worth a watch!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressed
jonc-0906419 September 2020
I seen some bad reviews but still gave it a go and I have to say i'm impressed. I don't normally write reviews on here but I had to support this film as I would consider myself a big horror fan and i felt like the way they shot and edited this was original and refreshing. It was cinematic, creepy and will have you glued to the screen right to the end. I haven't seen to many indie films this year but if your like me and into original horror films this is one to watch for sure!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic...
zafonkelly22 September 2020
Don't judge the movie by its cover - a very predictable and clearly low budget production. At least some money was spend on the cover to dupe the consumer.
Don't waist your time... Terrible
ni_vision20 September 2020
Confusing, predictable, borrowing... I can't take this theme seriously, it is like a "Herditary" but with less pathos.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The title itself indicates show you should treat the movie...
paul_haakonsen12 September 2020
"The Unfamiliar" was a horror movie that came and went without as much as a dent or a screech. I hadn't heard about this movie prior to getting a chance to sit down and watch it. And with it being a horror movie, and me being a huge horror fan, of course I found the time to sit down and watch the 2020 horror movie "The Unfamiliar" from writers Henk Pretorius and Jennifer Nicole Stang.

And I will say that the movie was definitely off to an interesting start, but then everything just seemed to slip through the fingers of director Henk Pretorius, because the movie quickly lost its momentum and slipped well below mediocrity. In fact, towards the end of the movie I was more in surprise at how incredibly stupid the movie turned out to be than I was entertained. So I was definitely not blown away by this 2020 horror movie.

For a horror movie then I will say that "The Unfamiliar" had promise and potential, but director Henk Pretorius somehow managed to thwart the rather nice build-up of atmosphere and events that were done early on in the movie. Come midpoint of the movie, I have to admit that I was about ready to call it quits on the movie. But I endured to the bitter end, and trust me, it was a bitter end. The movie ended up becoming something of an ordeal to sit through towards the end.

The acting in the movie was actually adequate, especially taking into consideration the total lack of a properly written storyline and plot. So the actors and actresses were holding the movie afloat with their performances. I wasn't familiar with anyone on the cast list, and that is usually something I enjoy. But oddly enough, I didn't enjoy it with "The Unfamiliar". I suppose it was because of the atrocious storyline.

If you enjoy horror movie, you might as well give "The Unfamiliar" a wide berth. In fact, take the movie's very title to heart and let it remain unfamiliar. Trust me, you will not be missing out on a great horror cinema moment by missing out on this 2020 movie.

My rating of "The Unfamiliar" is a mere, but generous, three out of ten stars.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tepid attempt at a haunted flick.
jmbovan-47-16017323 January 2021
Premise starts nicely. Woman returns from a war zone performing as a doctor. Then she starts seeing things that aren't there. And it isn't PTSD. So at this early mark in the film, all energy and spookiness leaves. What is left is a tired retread of of standard elements of a haunting. And by standard I mean stock elements simply presented one after the other to piece together the plotline, plodding its way to the inevitable end. Right down to the standard stock trope of an end. It felt like after the 15 minute mark, once the plot had been established, all effort ended with the script to do anything with itself. It could have been a silent film without any notation, and I would have still understood the plot line and resolution. That says something. The film was made adequately, and the acting is decent. Just nothing in the script to create any tension or scares.
Why The 18+ Rating???
wandernn1-81-6832747 January 2021
There was nothing really in this movie to deserve an 18+ rating. It could have been rated PG. So the only thing the movie had to go on was story and scares, and there were really not any scares. And the story lacked. 3/10
DO NOT BOTHER
chrisvale29 December 2020
Utter rubbish! Just wasted money on this load of codswallop
The cultural appropriation...
happypeopleneverfantasize23 September 2020
It's honestly the worst movie I've ever seen, the acting is so bad I can't even begin to describe.

The cultural appropriation makes this already bad move even worse and leaves an aftertaste no movie should in 2020.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.