Sonchiriya (2019) Poster

(2019)

Seeking deliverance in the rugged ravines. It has shades of Outlaw Josey Wales n the twist towards the end is harrowing like the one from Incendies.
Fella_shibby17 May 2019
This film deserves an 8 cos of the solid direction, script n acting but I am generous with 10 so that more indie films like these r made in India n the reels of the awful ones like Simbba, Race 3, Padmavat, Kesari, etc, shud be flushed down the toilet.

Also I am a sucker for Western films n it's rare to come across a Western film from Bollywood.

Coming back to this film, it is n underrated directorial effort by Abhishek Chaubey whose earlier films were mostly shot in the dusty countrysides. It has shades of Outlaw Josey Wales n the film's twist is harrowing like the one from Incendies. It has awesome cinematography, stunning landscapes of rugged, ravine-streaked hills and calm rivers contrasted with bloody brutal gun fight sequences. The cinematography brings the bleakest of environments to frightening life, aided by the fact that the locations were every bit as bleak as they appeared on screen. The film is a juxtaposition of brutal reality and rustic serenity.

The story is about outlaws living in the ravines. We have outlaws based on the caste system but the most neglected n persecuted ones r the poor dalits.

My only two cribs. They shud have shown some crocodile violence n they shud have shown the lead cop's heading busting like a watermelon.
61 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raw, rustic,poignant & deeply haunting
santoshpatnaik19882 March 2019
The year has just started but there wont be any better film this year..the performances, cinematography, action,dialogues everything is spot on..Abhishek chaubey's direction reaches new heights and the humane factor in his movies are a standout...i hope the makers break even on this project,filmmakers deserve these movies to be made every now and then and i hope audiences grow up
31 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Red Dead Redemption 2 was to ever have a Bollywood version...
cshafkat-790414 March 2019
When the movie was announced, I was a little skeptical mainly because Bollywood always ruin movies with unnecessary songs and romance. But after seeing the trailer I got super excited.

I was very impressed with the movie and its pacing as well as how close it is to reality. The direction, acting, story, locations are on point.

Sushant Singh Rajput delivers his career best performance here. He was outstanding in every aspect and he seemed totally natural in his character. Manoj Bajpayee as usual nailed his role as the leader of the gang. He was able to portray the notoriety that the bandits of Chambal possess. Bhumi Pednekar was fantastic as the woman on the run. Ranvir Shorey was absolutely mind blowing as the second in command. The intensity he portrayed was perfect. His character was brilliantly written. Ashutosh Rana was an absolute treat to watch as the police captain trying to hunt down the gang.

The director has done his job very well. It clearly shows how much research he did before making this film since everything was so natural including the language spoken throughout the movie and how birds react to dead bodies. The story was very well paced and high on intensity. The scenery was bound to be good since the film was shot on location. The action sequences were very well choreographed and very enjoyable.

This movie kept me hooked from the start to the end. It has a very deep meaning that a lot of people will fail to understand. This is not the typical Bollywood film with songs and romance. This is a film based on true events and carries a deep meaning and message. The pacing was good and those who appreciate pure cinema will love it given the fact that it's very close to reality and perfectly portrayed the harshness that was present in Chambal back in those days.

Overall it's a wonderful movie and a pure cinematic experience. If Red Dead Redemption 2 was made in India, this is exactly how it would be. If you're someone who enjoys reality based action films, then I strongly recommend this one.
39 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible filmmaking. Raw and original.
udbhav-151823 March 2019
This is one of those few films after watching which, you feel like the urge to watch the movie again. The screenplay, cinematography, direction and acting all deserve an standing ovation. The storyline is captivating with twists at the right moment. This movie would definitely make many laugh and cry within a span of a short time. Must watch and deserves due credit.
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awesome cast, superb movie
sdurvesh26 June 2020
Sushant singhrajput has very high potential, along with amazing cast , with great acting skills,
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tejas_Vinda_AITS1 March 2019
SONCHIRIYA is a well-made and a well shot movie with a strong narrative and brilliant performances as its USP.

Sonchiriya Story: Set in the ravines of 1970's Chambal, the film follows a bunch of dacoits led by Man Singh (Manoj Bajpayee) as they battle with the cops and their own conscience.

Abhishek Chaubey has done it again. Sonchiriya is gritty, engaging, haunting, disturbing and highly entertaining n captures the soul of Chambal quite beautifully.

Abhishek Chaubey's direction is taut and I loved how unlike other films in the same genre the tension starts right from scene one. He doesn't waste much time and movie stays on point from start to finish.

At times it might be too disturbing and heavy for the viewers but, Abhishek makes sure to add the right amount of dark humour in it.

On the downside, the movie drags a bit in the initial portion post interval. After a great first act and the pace dips in the second act but is lifted again in the final act.

Overall, Sonchiriya is another masterpiece from Abhishek Chaubey. Some might find it too disturbing and heavy but nothing is forced. With top-notch acting performances by each and every cast member, Sonchiriya is recommended.
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Western movie of Bollywood.
Azanspy6 May 2019
Sonchiriya is not for the ones who look for pure Bollywood entertainment. The movie is dark and violent. Abhishek Chaubey is proving that he can cook something different but delicious. He could have gone for some commercial movie after the electrifying Udta Punjab. But he choose to make a high quality movie with no commercial element but pure class. Manoj Bajpai, Ranveer Shorey was excellent and Sushant Singh Rajput gave the best performance of his career. We know what Bhumi Padnekar is capable of and she proves yet again that she is one of the best actress in Bollywood. The Chambal Vallet visuals were beautiful and horrifying. DoP deserves a big applause. The movie may bore majority but it will glorify a good movie watcher.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sushant Singh Rajput is a awsome actor.. Acting skill is so high..
duttaanjalina25 July 2020
While watching this movie I felt that when he play a character he became that character in actual.. Awsome story high acting skill..
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Morden Masterpiece that No one is talking about !!!
dhruvsuthar-9063327 April 2019
Best Raw Film making i have seen in the near past of the Bollywood. A dark Masterpiece about the chambal. It has so many shades with respect to its characters and The narrative. Abhishek chaubey is one of the best director working in the Bollywood at this moment to justify this kind of movies. I have much more interest in the raw filmmaking and his previous films like ishqiya dedh ishqiya udta Punjab all were very raw and original. Because of the Direction you will not find any kind of dull thing through runtime. Writing is hero here. Very original very witty. Cinematography and music respectively works in a very respectful manner. This film is nothing without this kind of epic cinematography and the writing. Performance wise Sushant sing Rajput nails every time he appears on the screen. Manoj sir did his best in the special appreance. Ranveer shorey is outstanding so is bhumi padneker. It is A very Intelligent and Risky choice she had taken but succeded in a very subtle way. Ashutosh Rana Is the underrated actor working today. It is a very Disturbing, Dark and Deep Movie That will blown your mind when you see. Probably the most original films to be made in the history of Bollywood. My previous one favourite was Andhadhun.

Watch this at any cost....

Thank you....
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST ! It will be called classic of our times.
sparsh-hardik20 August 2019
It's not a horror movie, but watching it late night would terrify you. It has a bit haunting element. The Indian cinema should feel proud that it has a genius film maker like Abhishek Chaubey. He greatly translate a message of Shyam Benegal's type stories with a Quentin Tarantino's type film making. Sonchiriya can confidently stand along another Chambal based 'Bandit Queen'.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
performances will amaze u
beevenkat3 March 2019
I always thought, a dacoit means a thief who robs, rapes n kills. But thank u, director #abhishekchaubey, for opening my eyes n for revealing the correct picture. Everything about #Sonchiriya seems real. The men, the women, the politics, the guns, the bullets, the violence, the locations, the music, the language r all authentic. The performances will amaze u. Running time should be reduced by 15 minutes. Watch it. Rating 3.5/5.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A crisp Karmic Lesson through the rustic ghats of Chambal as the narrative hooks you through a peach of cinematography
tulipwoodland1 March 2019
Sonchiriya is a film especially for true Cinema Lovers. It takes us to the wild raw ghats of Chambal with some performances to look forward. Just one thorough request for Cinema Lovers. Don't dare you miss Sonchiriya. Simply Mind-blowing. Sushant is Okayish. Ranvir Shorey is slaying. Manoj Bajpayee as the gang leader is outstanding. Ashutosh Rana is killing it. Bhumi shines with her stellar act. Don't u miss this cinematic piece
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
jassiharry2 July 2020
Amazing movie, fantastic work. Loved every bit of this movie. Highly recommended. Please watch once for Sushant. Fantastic.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finest movie of Bollywood.
rajnishsahu28 June 2020
One of the finest movie of Bollywood. Every element of this movie is worth watching and praising. If u haven't watched yet please go and watch u can't miss this gem. This is so realistic. Shushant and all the characters were amazing.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
salmaniac-266881 March 2019
Sushant Singh Rajput Again Rock After Kedarnath... Very interesting plot... everyone should be watch this movie
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A near perfect masterpiece
mihiravalgaokar4 March 2019
The wild west has no predator or prey, the only true predator in the ravines is karma. Abhishek Chaubey captures this perfectly with his emotional and amazing Cinematography. The performances are too notch, the screenplay is moving and hard hitting. A near perfect Masterpiece
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best of Sushant, Abhishek Chaubey and this year, so far...
maulin53 March 2019
What makes a film to be called as cult or classic? It stays with you after you watch it, stays in your memory till your memory lasts. Abhishek Chaubey is truly a craftsman. He evolves with every film. He makes a film which would be better than his previous films. After an awesome Udta Punjab, he is back to show us dacoits of Chambal.

Having a tremendous cast, the film is absolutely must watch in theaters. What you like is not Cinema, if you want to know the real kind of entertaining and engaging film of 146min, then you should see Sonchiriya. It deals with so many subjects which will blow your heart. Super engaging and full of twists, this film is the best film till now. Also, Sushant Singh Rajput's best film as a performer is this one. You will be with him from start to end. Whatever ideas you may get about climax, this character will stay with you in a positive way. That's why I loved the film to the moon and back.

Bhumi Pednekar is doing great job as an actor in industry. She is fantastic. You will surely feel for her and the little girl with her. Best part of the film according to me is when these are going on boat and title song starts in the divine voice of Rekha Bhardwaj. Followed by the act on which the story of this film is based on, my heart was in my mouth. That was the moment for what I would like to give this film full marks.

Manoj Bajpayee is truly an artist. Mansingh played by him, has so many layers, so much depth, it's upto you how far you can go and take back something which will be useful in life. Ranvir Shorey is doing absolutely fantastic work. The breakdown scene of him is fabulous. The Gujjar Policeman, played by Ashutosh Rana, is class act. Other characters are awesome as well. Casting director deserves his credit for the wonderful cast. Each and every one taches us something. Go and grab it.

Action sequences are damn cool. Good mixutre of slow motion and closeups. I felt the camera was shacky in the beginning. But then it becomes the most engaging tool for us. The haunting scene of a girl for Manoj and Sushant's character are shown very effectively. I too got stumped each time. Also in the night as well.

To do or not to do, that is the question! When Sushant is looking into our eyes. We as an audience is fully connected with him. Can dacoits be good men? What is right and what is wrong! Kudos to Abhishek Chaubey and Sudeep Sharma, for setting a new high for dacoit story. That too without showing how and why they become dacoits, but what do they do being dacoit. Hugely impressed with Bundelkhandi dialogues. All are understandable, if not there are Engliah subtitles as well. Usage of cuss words are pitch perfect, we never heard them speaking intentionally or trying to make fun out of cuss words.

Sonchiriya is having out of the world scenes. Like Sushant riding a camel. Uff the background music is so much soulful. Film has been made superbly that you will not get any idea when your eyes will be getting wet. This is the pure magic of cinema.

As I mentioned above, Sonchiriya title track is pure lit. Vishal Bhardwaj has done great job. Varun Grover has penned lyrics. Sukhvinder Singh's voice will roar in Chambal. This the best album to look out for. Haunting and effectively disturbing.

Book your seats to watch Abhishek Chaubey's best film till date. Support good cinema, it will help you to grow in your life. Curse on your head is the most dangerous thing in the world. And life cycle does not stop for anyone. Everyone wants the golden bird, so be quick to ask for it at ticket window. You will feel proud about the power of a film. And that too our Indian film.

Undoubtedly, The Best. Cult n classic! That is why, going for an another time as well.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark !! Deep !! Slow
vikramjit4902 March 2019
Perfect in every field however, mature audience can only understand Sonchiriya.

Must watch with patience
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best acting by Sushant
ashjustice-7119325 July 2020
Really mesmerising character and d way Sushant carried out is marvellous
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
India is capable of delivering master piece
ritesh-5577514 June 2020
Amazing Movie, Amazing actors... Sushant Rajput is forever lost, what a waste talent....This movie will shock you with the depth of Acting from Indian Actors.... People talk a lot of Korean movies......I say watch Indian cinema and then give your view.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bandits life.
devmohanty29 June 2020
Realistic movie.The actors are class in their acting.It has a beautiful theme.I guess one should watch it and try to go back to 1970s.
Powerful
bioscopewala28 June 2020
Sonchidiya refers to the Great Indian Bustard which is a highly endangered bird and was found in the chambal region. It is also a mythical reference to the Golden Bird which we are all searching for , which is believed to change ones fortune. The plot of a group of rebel bandits and how tragedy tears them apart along with the suspense of a past tragedy makes the title very apt. The actors all of them have given a tremendous performance and the movie is edited very well. from start to finish it is a treat for any dacoit movie fan, the Chambal ravines, the heat dust, the raw language and the great acting. A true Indian Western and I wish more movies come like this and save the name of Bollywood.
Amazing.
abhisheksharmaak5 June 2019
A movie that hits hard on almost every special evil residing in our societies. Casteism, Corruption, hatred, sexual harassment, fake pride and much more. Full of thrill, action, comedy, emotion and twists. Storytelling is amazing. And finally, gives a perfect definition of 'DHARM'. Such movies are made rarely. It maybe the last story on Chambal. So you must enjoy.
A cinematic triumph !
gkb_in5 March 2019
I am speechless and euphoric ! Abhishek Chaubey, take a bow sir cause this gem of yours reminded me of Sergio Leone and Vishal Bhardwaj is definitely our very own Ennio Morricone. I am just unable to remove the haunting background score and songs from my head.

The period is set in 1975, a fact that you are made aware of when a radio announces the imposing of emergency and a band of dacoits plan to loot a village. These dacoits are surrounded by the police and it turns out to be a bloodied conflict. Were the dacoits setup by their informant ? The leader of the gang Daku Thakur Mansing sees haunting images of a young girl, a guilt of an earlier crime gone wrong. The second rung leader Thakur Vakil Singh doubts that they were setup by an insider. But were they ?

A policeman, Birender Singh Gujjar, is after their blood, who is this police, and what is his backstory. ? The young rebel or "baaghi" leader of dacoits, Lakhna Thakur is in a dilemma, disillusioned by the life in ravines, he is having second thoughts. Will he surrender ? A thakur woman, called Indumati Tomar requests help from the dacoits to go to hospital, to save a girl child who is in a critical condition after being raped by another thakur. The girl is Sonchiriya - Pronounced as Son"chidiya", an untouchable.

Looking for salvation, how each dacoit leader reacts to the situation is the plot of the story. Sonchiriya, a living person becomes a metaphor to hope for the dacoits.

Honey Trehan's casting is fantastic, all actors are top notch. Manoj Bajpayee is super good and with this role, he has moved ahead of Bhiku Mhatre, and will be remembered as Daku Mansingh. and so will be Ravir Shorey as Daku Vakil Singh. Sushant is amazing, standing his own against veterans. Ashutosh Rana and Bhumi Pednekar are good too, especially Bhumi who nails it with her performance.

Direction, Cinematography and Music are top class and can give all established names, a run for their money.

The movie is undoubtedly heavy and may not be lapped up by the mainstream audience, but it's their loss. Such movies need to be watched in theatres.

The dialogues though in Bundelkhandi, are fantastic too. "Sarkar ki goliyon se koi mara hai kabhi, ha unke wado se zaroor".

After Gullyboy, it's Sonchiriya..Indian cinema is on a roll ! Do not miss this haunting tale of desperation, guilt and hope.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a movie to stay with you for long
aisha_zaman-5657122 April 2019
This film will stay with you, despite its gory details and violence. Sepia is the whole film ... vast, unbending and cruel terrain and people. However there are gems of emotions beneath the surface. Sushant singh 's character says at one point; "I can run away from the gang but how will I run away from my ownself". The hell or heaven we carry in our souls and hearts compels us and trumps mind always. This movie deserves to be seen and then you will carry it. Sushant is at his all time best.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.