The Legend of Cocaine Island (2018) Poster

Enjoyable Film Well Worth Anyones Time To Watch - Want And Need - Knowing The Difference
dwp194821 April 2019
04/21/2019 Apparently Rodney Hyden is a real person and the story is probably embellished to support his version of his own right or wrong? Really bad deals are usually the same and some of the best life lessons that a person can ever learn. #1. Greed will get you in, greed will hold you and that same greed will eventually bring you down. A successful criminal always works alone, never has the need to tell anyone (wife, family, friend and especially L.E. if squeezed) This was an enjoyable film, realistically presented, and most of the final outcome was predictable and could have been told before any of the events had begun. Buried dope? Not for me! Buried treasure? The same! I'll stay right here and watch movies, avoid the stress and enjoy the peace. Life lesson: Trust no one and you'll never have to look back with regret. Bon Appetit
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good!
Analog_Devotee13 August 2021
A wild spin on the typical cocaine documentary, that's for sure. Great production value and highly entertaining.
Glorious stupidity
muamba_eats_toast25 March 2020
Yes the wife is one of the most annoying humans on the planet but she has small enough airtime not to truly ruin this excellent comedy/documentary! Most I have laughed in a long time and was gripped to the screen first moment to last. Truly fantastic!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining documentary and one hell of a story
maccas-5636729 March 2019
Netflix is going to end up responsible for inspiring a generation of drug dealers or criminal enterprises - but damn, these documentaries are as oddly addictive as the drugs they feature.

"The Legend of Cocaine Island" is in a similar vein to "Operation Odessa", though not quite as crazy and less charismatic. The main guy here (Rodney) just comes across as a somewhat unlikable, fat, greedy guy who pretends to be remorseful for his greed-fuelled actions. The supporting cast of characters is far more interesting - Andy and Dee in particular.

The doco keeps a good pace and it's certainly a larger-than-life story that is hard to look away from. Who doesn't love a good treasure hunt story? This time, the "treasure" just happens to be $2 million worth of cocaine. "The Legend of Cocaine Island" is as much an ode to the art of storytelling as it is a crime documentary - each person here knows how to spin a story.

How much of it is actually true - who knows? But it's entertaining nonetheless! The ambiguous ending was an intriguing way to wrap things up - and certain to boost "tourism" numbers in Puerto Rico.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting
mikeiskorn2 September 2021
A fun documentary told by the actual guy this happened to (or did it depending on how you look at it). I agree with the one guy in the documentary that if you knew where 2 million dollars was, you'd try and find it, but this guy, the culprit just felt like a chancer, a talker who wouldn't have been able to pull it off.
Unlikable people
WVfilmfem30 March 2019
...lacking a moral barometer, obnoxious wife whiner, driven by greed. All involved were corrupt to various degrees.
28 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy story
aevaughn-7730510 April 2019
Story of a crackhead (reminded me of Puck off the old Real World), a fat trashy guy who was money hungry and showed off, his tacky entitled whiney ass wife, and a snitch working with the DEA- and all their adventures. There...the end.
HUMOROUS AND AMUSING
QuentinJ4442 April 2019
The fact that this is not a fictitious story is what makes it even more appealing, it leaves you asking yourself, what would you have done differently? This could have been a blockbuster movie in my opinion, with all the twist and turns of the story, it's very entertaining. The only negative thing I can say about this documentary is that it should have been a blockbuster movie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long and overly drawn out
feev7 May 2020
I fell asleep about one-third of the way and did not finish it..... The backstory on each of these people was not that interesting..... Just tell us the main damn story instead of farting around with all these dumb uninteresting interviews.
Fun
tenealesharman4 May 2020
This was lots of fun!!! Raw and honest story telling, and Will Farrell is making the movie version. Cannot wait. Tiger king eat your heart out
Opinion
andregarfo16 April 2019
A captivating story with suspense and well done! And the intrigue at the end is very good! Well it was known that he was going to be caught, if not the series would not be made, only realized that Carlos was agent well in the end, was very well done by the police, it was a lesson for him and for anyone who sees the documentary, do not try they will always be caught, an interesting and well done documentary that captivates and does not lose the emotion!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame
grichman17 May 2020
I'm not giving this a bad review just to trash the movie and make myself feel superior. This story was just so drawn out- I don't even know why I kept watching it. But halfway into it, I kept skipping forward, and skipping forward and skipping forward. And, finally, it ended thank God.

This film was literally a waste of time. I have no idea why people are gave this 10 stars- citizen Kane gets 10 stars, Acadeny award winning films get 10 stars. This was a stinker. .
Terrible - edited poorly - horrible story telling - ended up turning it off
user-322-32615631 March 2019
This could have been cool - but it's not. Nothing about it is cool. The narration is terrible. And so is the editing. Some scenes are interlaced so poorly with other scenes I was like "Hiuh? What was the purpose of showing that?" The one goofball wearing the sunglasses the whole time almost seems like he's an act. he's so stupid it seems like a put on. Anyway, after watching this thing for a while, I eventually turned it off because I couldn't take it anymore. Find something else to watch. That's what I did. You'll be happier.
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst movie of the year
juan_moran27 December 2020
Honestly it is a waste of time, very bad, the wife cries for not having had so much luxury from one moment to the next, she never worked, the daughter compares drug addicts with dogs, I love dogs but it is still a derogatory comment, look completely because it likes to finish, they recreate everything, a joke. The fat man knew more than all the people who were in the meeting ............... lousy
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story... but....
ttimgents24 February 2021
Entertaining story... But I wouldn't put my faith in anyone involved here.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cocaine Cowboys? More like Cocaine Donkey Rustlers
gmaileatsyourlunch27 March 2021
A once successful contractor - Rodney Hyden - loses his upper-class lifestyle after the housing bubble collapse and is knocked down to a blue collar life in Florida. He happens on a local urban legend of a bag of cocaine worth 1 - 2 Million, and assembles a misfit cast to retrieve it. Bumbling and hubris ensue.

The problem with this attempted intersection between Trainspotting, Breaking Bad and a Coen Bros film is that in terms of story and how interesting these characters are, there's maybe 45 minutes of material at best. The rest is padding. In fact, Rodney Hyden's considerable girth may as well be a metaphor for the amount of padding in this documentary. It comes in the form of every kind of fill scene you can possibly imagine, from overhead drone shots of beaches saturated with acoustic guitar, to slow, reflective panning shots across faces, to sunsets, to... it just goes on and on.

This yarn would have been more appropriate to an episodic-style true crime show and not a full length documentary. I found it far more bearable when I ratcheted up the playback speed to defeat its intended snail's pace dolling-out of actually interesting events. Might be good for a lazy Sunday when you're nursing that killer hangover and don't want to watch anything that makes you think very hard.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More proof
Gswillis13 August 2021
The smug agents who just entrapped a desperate dumbass are more proof that law enforcement needs to be reined in. The arrogant officers laughing about it while not showing their faces is disgusting. No doubt they are corrupt, that's what all the smirking was about.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unlikeable people with over active imaginations..
jps-833227 April 2019
Not sure how it can be a documentary when it seems to be mostly idiotic people telling ridiculously unbelievable stories with no proof! Netflix - give me a call. I am happy to make stuff up for money!
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels like a story your uncle would tell you.
onemillionpapercranes29 March 2019
In other words, overly dramatic for what it actually was. Too much fluff as well. If they had cut the wife out of the story it would be an 8 instead of a 7. Nobody wants to listen to a spoiled woman cry about suddenly having a smaller house.

If you can make it past the first 20 minutes it's worth finishing though.
60 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly!
bluestminou16 September 2019
Excellent, well-made documentary about criminal wannabes. It's an absolute must-see for anyone who still has hope for the future of humanity--SPOILER ALERT: we're doomed!. All the people involved have no sense of what it means to be an honest, decent person. I agree with everyone's opinion of the incredibly entitled wife who has the nerve to cry about her fate. Seriously lady, with all the poverty, disease and suffering in this world, just shut the h_ll up! The daughter is equally oblivious and thinks this is all a big joke about her quirky parents. The only person with half a brain is the "real" criminal, who ended up using his brain to work the system & walk away scot-free. He says he wants to be a law-abiding citizen from now on, and although he might be lying, it's interesting to note that he's the only one in that movie who even knows what law-abiding means. As for the main character, the way he handled his first trip to the island with his druggie cohort in full withdrawal, explains quite clearly how he happened to lose his money in the first place. The judge's sentence makes perfect sense because there's no way these geniuses will ever pull off a successful criminal carreer. As for Julian, if an honest person finds a bag of cocaine, they don't hesitate to call the police, only criminals fear the law!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dear lord!!!
kirstywalters7725 April 2019
I'm sticking with it, but... That wife is an absolute disgrace!!!! A lot of people live in houses, flats etc that are the size of a 3 American car garages. Especially here in the UK. Plus a large population of the world live in shacks the size of postage stamps or on the streets. Jesus. I hope I can carry on and hope she doesn't appear too often. I'm only a little way in so 5 stars for now. America's finest, right here!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A FLA Town I'd Move For
jposhea8888-197830 March 2019
I truly love when I go blindly into art and leave gut-punched-happy and amped. Oh man, this was good, I'd say the best non-informative personal story piece I've come across it quite some time. There are three real-life dudes (characters in their own right) in this Doc which would have no problem anchoring a Hollywood budget blockbuster, playing leads and having movies written specifically for and lobbying for them to come on set. The soundtrack was masterful. The sequencing of scenes was superb. The suspense was spot-on. The "guess" factor was a go from the get. The grinning and wincing were also in full effect. Check it out if you do nothing but wipe your arse' today. You'll be happier for it.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glorification of a stupid criminal.
williampvenne2 February 2021
The piece was put together well but the characters and story were weak.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
amcreb1 December 2019
I quite enjoyed this mockumentary. I went into it unsure if it was a real documentary or a spoof and after watching it it is obviously a spoof. Nobody is that dumb right , also I'm pretty sure Puerto Rico is in the United States so there's no need to smuggle drugs, could've boarded a domestic flight without any need for customs! The characters are entertaining and funny. The only one I didn't like was the wife but overall it was a very fun movie to watch.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One or the funniest things you'll see this year
hudson-todd1 April 2019
There is so much hilarious real life misadventure packed into an hour and 25 minutes. I love the fact that the story is told as a mixture of documentary and Coen Brothers-style bumbling crime comedy. It would be hard to make up characters like this. Contrary to what some of the negative reviews say, I thought the editing and cinematography were spot-on, as well as the music choice. Someone could have shot the same story in a boring way, but the use of camera angles and clever editing are top-notch and make it all the more entertaining.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.