Nativity Rocks! (2018) Poster

The worst film I've seen in a cinema!
christianoliver-285682 December 2018
Utterly terrible. The first three atleast had something to like about them. The new Mr. Poppy is utterly irritating throughout, and the children don't really have a part to play like they did in the first three. Lazy writing and irritating plot flaws all the way through the film. Started laughing about how bad it was near to the end.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who wanted this?
CriticalOfEverything4 December 2018
Why are there so many bloody sequels to Nativity? The first one is justified to exist as just another mediocre Christmas movie with a bit of charm, but I have no clue why the hell they've made 3 SEQUELS. Especially when these movies earn almost nothing at the box office and are only ever popular in the UK, and even THEN the numbers are disappointing. These movies only exist to cash in on some poor grandparents who want to take their kids to see a movie for Christmas. Why not watch something ''Christmassy'' with actual effort placed into it like Arthur Christmas or the stop-motion Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer movie? Nearly anything besides the Santa Claus movies is better than Nativity. This movie is just like every other movie in this "franchise": Terrible writing, acting and just about everything. Please stop seeing these movies, because even a single penny will keep them around for longer.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A New Version Of Hell
polepole-613-30723124 November 2018
Words can't explain the fresh Hell I have just experienced watching this movie. Please heed my advice and steer clear. Amateur hour
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gives us all hope
richardwillner24 November 2018
Two things: 1) My five-year-old loved it 2) This film gives all amateur film-makers hope. If this can be made then anything can, so for that reason it should get decent marks.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as horrible as you'd think
davidjturner-8888924 November 2018
Typical Nativity fare following the formula of old just with leftist pro illegal migrant feel good propaganda thrown in for good measure. There's a new Mr Poppy, the kids ended up really missing the actor who played him in the previous three films, they loved Craig Revel Horwood who hams it up as the bad guy very well. It's not great but by no means as terrible as you'd think
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst film I have ever seen
marcgallagher-4736329 November 2018
This was utterly abhorrent. From a lead that is impossible to sympathise with to dreadful performances, Nativity Rocks is another shining example of British Movie tat.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Amateur Film That My Children Loved......but Extreme Pro Leftist Agenda
somersetboy2 December 2018
Technicaly very good filmmaking made with iphones probably and edited on a laptop. I am actually very pro amateur filmmaking. So this gets a 6/10 for that. It gives us all hope that very good talents and an iPhone is all you need to make a good movie. One that even gets released in the cinemas accross the country. It gives young and new filmmakers a hope for the future. Great!

As a parent I found it tedious to sit through but enjoyed the occassional silliness. My children, however, absolutely loved it. It is a very British, locay identifiable movie for them.

Now the hugely leftist agenda of the movie. Nothing wrong with that. Except that it is very clever to package it within a conservative sounding movie title such as 'Nativity Rocks'.

Interestingly, the immigrant Syrian is very 'christian', occidental (looks very much like a Norwegian or Swedish), rock song singing, guitar wielding, etc. etc. It was all very bizzare... and Christmassy. So its all good.

Look, it might feel like torture, but the children are going to love it. We were forced to choose this as The Grinch had run out of tickets. Actually, I keep thinking that the children seemed to have enjoyed this more than the multimillion dollar Grinch as we eventually got to see that a week later. Interestingly, the Grinch is also played by a Brit. There are a couple of tear jerkers in the Grinch but the sheer silliness and constant verbosity and action of Nativity Rocks made it a winner with my chidren.

Thanks for reading.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total Rubbish
robert-frankland9 December 2018
We walked out after 10 minutes. Puerile unfunny embarrassing film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outing number four is just not up to scratch
Figgy66-915-5984704 December 2018
4 December 2018 First Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - Nativity Rocks. This is outing number four in the Nativity genre and in this instalment we are introduced to Mr Poppy's brother, Mr Poppy! This time round the city of Coventry is competing to be the city of Christmas by staging a rock opera which is to be directed by Emmanuel Cavendish, played by Craig Revel Horwood, who is overacting his socks off. Stick to the stage darling it's much more your scene. Introduce a large collection of small children singing and dancing, combine it with a group of adults who really shouldn't be in charge of the small children, and you find that slapstick and nonsense abound making this film weaker than its previous instalments. However even though the scenes are all a little tired it is good to have a family film at Christmas that doesn't take too much effort to watch, I'm sure the children will love it. Bring back Mr Poppy, because Mr Poppy really doesn't cut it. I think it may be time to put this particular baby back in its manger.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Propaganda trash
Alanjackd24 November 2018
On the surface this just seems like a harmless Christmas feel good movie....but then the opening credits begin and we see it for all it is.

this is nothing more than brainwashing propaganda aimed at children...opening scenes are of illegal immigrants coming over on a boat ...very christmassy....and it never lets up.All this " lets all live together in harmony " nonsense is in almost every line... direction is abysmal...acting is cringeworthy. A complete stranger comes to a school and they give him a job. He stays in an orphanage and then sneaks into a young boys bedroom...all with the express permission of the adults. I remember when the British Movie Industry was considered the best in the word...now we have this trash.

Sad thing is there was a couple of idiots laughing and guffawing at the back. The lead here needs to be taken out of the industry for the greater good. Last thing I would say is some idiot put money up for this to be made...even AFTER reading the script. If I could give this a 0 I would..so it's gotta be a 1.

This is the worst of the bottom of the complete dregs of movie making.
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Xmas film ever
David-clark12325 November 2018
Easiest way to sum this up is awful, the acting the storyline the casting, chuckled at 1 scene in the whole movie. Also seems to be made by 'immigrants wekcome' Group. Don't make the mistake I did & pay to see this
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for the PC brigade
jamiecfc11 December 2018
Hmm I don't think I've seen any of the previous Nativity films, or maybe I've blocked them out, but this isn't very good. To be fair it gets better during the second half but that's not saying much. The lead character is terrible, some of the supporting cast are OK though and the kids enjoy themselves with childlike abandon of what's happening around them. The best thing is the music, it has some songs that do stick in your head, whether you want them to or not. And it's all very PC with subplots about immigration, be kind to everybody, spirit of Xmas etc... OK if you've got easily pleased kids or a spare couple of hours, otherwise wait for the DVD next Christmas..
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, full of laughs
scg_19725 December 2018
Fun family movie set in the Midlands, although predicable story line, it has been tastefully done. The kids are stars..
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Likeable but naff
neil-4763 December 2018
Jerry Poppy arrives at St Bernadette's Primary School looking for his brother Desmond, only to find he has gone to Australia. Jerry immediately feels at home as he gets involved with creating a Christmas rock opera for Coventry. However, egotistical Emanuel Cavendish is directing, so all may not go well.

This is the fourth in the series of Christmas Nativity films written and directed by Debbie Isitt, all of them built round the exploits of idiot man-child Mr Poppy at St Bernadette's. We have a new Mr Poppy this time, but he's as much of an idiot as his predecessor.

Let's be brutal - these films aren't very good. The stories are naive twaddle, Mr Poppy, whether Desmond or Jerry, is a ridiculous caricature and wouldn't be allowed near a classroom of primary school children, the children themselves are not at the talented end of the scale as child performers, the songs are fairly naff...

And it's worth pointing out that Craig Revell Horwood as baddie Cavendish, is lucky that he didn't have acting judges commenting on his performance.

But there is a gauche naive charm to these films. They are full of heart, there is no harm to them, and they are often funny, albeit on a lowest common denominator level. I could have done without the vaguely leftists "Support illegal immigrants" subtext in this one, but the family message is a good one.

These films are a guilty pleasure.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Christmas film!
gemmapender1 December 2018
It's a lovely heart warming film which we and the kids enjoyed. Shame the original mr poppy isn't featured as the kids were asking after him but they all loved the film and enjoyed the music. It is slightly on the political side but then maybe it serves as a good reminder to think of others at Christmas?
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice story, badly told
Fudge-31 December 2018
Refugees from Syria; father and son, find sanctuary in the UK's midlands but get separated on the way.

All the elements are here for an uplifting family comedy. There is a great gang of kids, enthusiasm and some good gags. I can forgive the comedy farce elements that were over played for my taste. But the story is too complicated for the time given to it; the threads have been cut to pieces leaving it all in a midland muddle.

The brutal story editing makes sense when we get to the final act to which a lot of the movie time is devoted. We're given a long concert of songs staged in Coventry cathedral. It's really well done and does somewhat redeem the film. Sadly by then the movie had already lost the attention of most of the children in the audience who were fidgeting with boredom.

I liked the references to Coventry's own devastation to bombing in 1939 that made a connection with the young refugee.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.