"Mr. Robot" 407 Proxy Authentication Required (TV Episode 2019) Poster

A riveting stageplay, presented in five acts
TouchTheGarlicProduction18 November 2019
Man, what an incredible episode. This is what's known as a bottle episode; that is, an episode which uses as few characters and locations as possible. Usually they're done for budgetary reasons, but sometimes a more artsy show like this one will do one for effect. The intended effect in this case is claustrophobia; we're trapped in this apartment with these characters for an hour, with no commercial breaks and no scene changes to allow us a reprieve.

And yet, while the limited setting undoubtedly creates a sense of claustrophobia, it also weirdly lends a grandiosity to things. The episode feels very much like a stageplay, a feeling which is reinforced by a series of intertitles throughout the episode proclaiming the beginning of five different acts. This structure gives a strong feeling that the episode is building towards something, and it most certainly is; near the end we get one of the biggest and most devastating twists of the series.

I'd be lying if I said that I went into the episode without expectations, given the way the network has been hyping it up, but it blew me away regardless. If you haven't watched it yet, avoid the internet like a plague until you have. It's a big one.
388 out of 402 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give Rami Malek and Elliot Villar their Emmy's right now!
Splarke2218 November 2019
4x07 is truly a remarkable episode, featuring one of the best performances given by Rami Malek and Elliot Villar throughout Mr Robot's run. This episode reveals an insanely shocking plot twist that I didn't see coming, but it makes so much sense and fits so well. I don't think it's far-fetched to call this the best "bottle episode" in television history. Another brilliant, riveting episode in a stellar final season! Thank you Sam Esmail!
370 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made an account just to rate this 10/10
daniandeleeuw18 November 2019
Absolute wonder of cinematography and storytelling
203 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think I have to make some changes
jorisrietveld18 November 2019
I didn't knew why I loved this show so much, I have never seen a character that resembles me so closely. I am also into cyber security and programming and have been struggling with drugs for the past years. I'm having a lot struggle to connect to people and I know this is because I was also abused for years. This episode really broke me...
305 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy S**T
peteryelle18 November 2019
Holy S**t. Best episode of the series and that's saying something because this entire run has been damn good.
175 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A five act game changer for the show and TV in general
drakesepi0l18 November 2019
This episode left me speechless. Presented as a stageplay, 2 rooms, few actors, and limited camerawork, yet it one of the most impressive hours of anything I've ever seen. This crew took Tv to a whole another level, I mean it. The themes here are incredibly dark, but it all feels real, this stuff happens and I'm grateful to this show to put something like this out there, and to do it masterfully. That said, this could really upset some people. To Esmail, crew and actors, you are masters of your artwork. Thank you.
238 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
and the truth comes out
chingeeflingee18 November 2019
Vera's purpose for coming back is finally brought to light. This bombshell of a reveal has been a part of the show's core since the very beginning. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. We would get more information on Elliot's fall out the window every season, pieces to the puzzle. And we just got the core piece, the most important one: the contextual one. The real reason why he jumped out that window. It all comes full circle and this now seems like something that there will be no turning back from. Elliot will never be the same, nor will his relationship with Mr. Robot, if he will even have one anymore after this.

In short, this episode is a game-changer.
129 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have no words
alexgoodman-5081218 November 2019
I balled my eyes out harder than I ever have while watching a TV show. Sam Esmail is a genius. This episode is a masterpiece and will go down in history as one of the greatest works of art ever created.
165 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best episode this season with thunder like reveal presenting the rebearth of Elliot.
Aktham_Tashtush18 November 2019
So the episode ended, the credits followed, then the started the commercials and my mouth was still wide open ... Sam Esmail wrote and directed this season and one of the strongest in while ... Mark my words .. this episode will get him and Rami Malek nominated again for the Emmyes.

The episode was structurally built over five acts,, each act ended with a loud thunderous truth until the last Elliot's scream of loneliness which made him really see what made him shelter himself into the arms of Mr. Robot.

As I said the Directing was spotless,, the script was well written .. so connected that it felt I was in Shakespearean theater .. the Drama kept on escalating up until the last minute which again we've been hit by another unexpected scene.,. and the intense back and forth inteacting between Rami Malik and Elliot Villar was just breathtaking.

Lastly, we've reached mid-season now ,, 6 episodes left .. so praying for a blast of a series finale that would make me storm into 2020 with a new me :D
104 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can i Please Rate That Episode 11 / 10, because that was phenomenal Television
Tv-Addict199118 November 2019
Just...:Wow.....

Everything was......wow....

I Could´t Breath the Whole Episode , the Tension was just absolutly astonishing !

I Cant believe they Topped Episode 5 of This Season, i thought this was the Highlight of the Series but this Episodes just blew everything in any Way away !

Mr. Robot just became one of the greatest Tv Series of All Time !

Greetings From Germany (:
133 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best episode of Season 4 (maybe ever?)
pieninjaproductions18 November 2019
Some of the best writing, pacing, and acting I've ever seen on TV. It had me clutching my heart and sweating and it was just dialogue. Absolutely powerful episode that will stick with me for the rest of my life. Just finished watching it, I'm still shaking.
131 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 days later, I still can't shake this episode
dclwaitt19 November 2019
I, too, created an account just to review this episode. Everything was perfection - the lighting, music, sets, writing and especially the acting. It was absolutely the right decision to run the episode commercial-free, as it kept the tension going non-stop. I NEVER cry at TV episodes. I cried at Elliot's complete breakdown, how could you not? As another reviewer said, a lot of Elliot's little quirks now make sense, like he doesn't like to be touched. The entire 4th act was very unnerving, and very hard to watch. In a way, I saw this huge bombshell coming as soon as Vera asked an explanation for the "window", but I really didn't want to believe it. I think Elliot is lashing out at Mr. Robot unjustly, because Mr. Robot was doing what Elliot's mind created him for - he WAS protecting him - protecting him from the truth about his father. This episode forever changed the series, and I can't wait to see how Sam Esmail can top this! He is a true genius, and I wish this absolute gem of a series wasn't ending. If Rami Malik doesn't win every available award for his heartbreaking performance here, they should stop giving awards period. THIS is the episode that will forever define his career. Elliot Villar should also get an Emmy nod. If you can make the freakin' villan sympathetic ... And Gloria Reuben gave the performance of her career here.
45 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Episode of Television of All Time
FefetaLeixes18 November 2019
This show continues to completely break all expectations that I had. Previously, Runtime Error was my favorite episode and I had no idea how they were going to surpass that, but they did.

This episode changes EVERYTHING and is one of the most powerful, beautiful, and amazing things to ever grace television. The acting is beyond unbelievable. Though the episode is nearly entirely dialogue the tension is greater than any other episode prior (even Runtime Error!) It's slow, sombre, dark, and quite possibly the greatest hour of television ever produced.

Bravo everybody
207 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Five Acts = Five Stages of Grief
djb-9259020 November 2019
1. Denial 2. Anger 3. Bargaining 4. Depression 5. Acceptance

Very clever Sam. Brilliant episode!
54 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind-blowing on all levels
ralphandjerry18 November 2019
The realization that the creation of Mr. Robot was a way for Elliot to escape the horrors of being sexually abused by his father along with the circumstances that brought the truth to light are just examples of how everything can happen in life the opposite we expect it to. What an emotional roller-coaster this season has been, and to think its only half over!!
81 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Award season is cancelled
alex-zed23 November 2019
Just give Sam Esmail, Gloria Reuben, Rami Malek, Christian Slater and Elliot Villar all the awards in the world. It's 2am and I'm here in my bed, shivering, trying to process what I just witnessed.

What a masterpiece, every moment reminded me why I love this show from day first and will miss it dearly in a few weeks.

2019 brought up a lot of TV entertainment disappointment in many shows ending, but surely Mr. Robot is gradually rising in intensity, leading to its finale which I hope will be a grand conclusion to this incredible show.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The wait for Vera was worth it
johnbell86318 November 2019
The villains of Mr. Robot are pure entertainment. Ray is my favorite, mainly because of his awesome speeches about prophets who hear voices and falling in the dark, but Vera might be the unanimous winner when the show's over.
89 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is art.
dzenishankusic18 November 2019
This was one of the best if not the best episode of Mr. Robot. Wait a second, as a matter of fact, this was maybe the best episode ever aired on television.

Are you not entertained?
76 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most powerfull tv episode ever
cesarcastrolopez18 November 2019
An emotional roller coaster, a truly amazing achievement in television history, this shows that the only thing a tv show (or any other form of art) the only thing need it is human conection. This episode does it in an incredible, powerfull, unique way
54 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jesus Christ
DrunkenDeGroot18 November 2019
Jesus Christ Jesus Christ Jesus Christ Jesus Christ Jesus Christ Jesus Christ Jesus Christ
84 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply the best
olexiyko18 November 2019
This is the first review I ever written. I was absolutely stunned. A masterpiece. Can't even find a words to describe it. Thank to everyone who took a part to create it
29 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elliot Verra, Christian Slater, and Rami Malek are riveting
UniqueParticle18 November 2019
So much brilliance and suspense going on all at once - I love it all! This show is so much enlightenment to me and I am shocked there's barely any commercials if at all I usually watch HBO. MR. Robot is one of the greatest things going on right now! I love how immersive so much of it is.
75 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am shaking
gmarquez-2029718 November 2019
This is the most intense episode I have ever watched of anything. Sam is a genius and I don't know how he does it, but it's just wonderful.

The performance of the actors is flawless. The emotions they transmit are magnificent in variety and quality. This episode is going to give them awards.

The revelations and twists in this episode alone are just unbelievable. It's hard to coupe with the number of things going on in just one room.

I am shaking. I am still in shock. What a time to be alive and what a privilege to see this show unravel. This is, without doubt, a masterpiece.
57 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" i see you now"
dmd_m18 November 2019
I swear this show is gonna give mean anxiety disorder. Remembwr s3Ep4? And then ep5? .. and now comes this masterpiece to triumph them all. The acting and the mood were top notch, the cinematography is yet to be beaten by any other show, and once again social problems were put out on the light in ways we've never seen before. Mr. Robot has truly established itself among the best ever. A thrilling, relating, visual and groundbreaking masterclass that needs to be seen by all!
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn
joealbanese-5365818 November 2019
I hardly ever write reviews - only when I truly hate something, or I truly love something. I don't think I have to tell you which I felt for this episode. Brilliant, riveting tv. The writing, the cinematography, the direction and the acting are all superlative. Intensely enjoyable.
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.