Penguins (2019) Poster

(2019)

Nice try, Disney.
dearlydeported6 May 2019
G rated, really? Graphic violence, nudity, adult themes - inappropriate for young kids. Emperor Penguins have no clothes on. This exudes Disney all over. This film does not even come close to the quality of Planet Earth.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary for highly sensitive kids
Curt103021 April 2019
I'm a bit upset that a G-rated Disney film included a half-dozen moments of peril. Predators try to eat the penguins. Babies get separated from parents. Foreboding music kicks in. Mom and Dad penguins might never meet again. Our highly-sensitive 8 y.o. said, "I hate this movie!" "I want to go right now!"

Had it been PG, I wouldn't have been so surprised by the mild, yet realistic peril. Smart, empathetic kids recognize existential dread.

Curt
15 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney's Playful Documentary of Penguins
cwjackson-7015619 April 2019
Leave it to Stevie, he can get the job done. He's a first-year dad sharing with his lovely spouse the challenging responsibility of raising two, growing youngsters. To get to that junction, Steve had to build a foundation to cultivate his household. He has to travel to the right location, build and protect his home, and wait to meet his possibly life-long partner. You might imagine I'm talking about young suburbans in America or elsewhere in global communities. They are penguins, this is their story with Steve taking the lead as narrator Ed Helms guides along in the icy frontier. With a general title, Penguins is a whimsical and clever take on a well-known delightful film animal. You might recall the 2005 documentary, March of the Penguins which provided a more realistic perspective of these birds life. They have been the subject of some fictional live action and animation movies. This here is familiar penguin material, the filmmakers' awareness prompt them to keep it entertaining. With a fish-full of life lessons without preaching, Penguins relates to young and older ones the struggles of raising a family with less intensity of the March of Penguins, and with more fun. There are many humorous moments, some a bit strained but not irritating. Steve and his wife, Adelene face hardships feeding their children, from hungry predators, and harsh weather. It is a choice family film and a rare full length G-rated movie. I viewed it with a small audience of children with their guardians and elderly persons. The photography is spacious and exceptional. The storyline might push its limits a bit, Penguins was a pleasure to watch and wonder about these tuxedo fur characters.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Short but sweet
cgearheart30 April 2019
Now this is how you make documentaries for kids: cute critters, an engaging story, and charming narration/character commentary from the quirky Ed Helms. With that said, it's great for kids and even adults, but my interest didn't stay sustained for a very long time. It could've been because I was tired but I felt like it went in circles after awhile. Still, a good one.

B-
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthwhile documentary celebrates 10 years of Disneynature
paul-allaer29 April 2019
"Penguins" (2019 release; 76 min.) is the latest documentary from Disneynature. As the movie opens, we are reminded that this is the 10th anniversary of the Disneynature movies. This latest one brings us the life and times of Steve, an Adelie penguin. He is 5 years old, about 2 ft. tall, and about 15 lbs. As we join Steve, he is on his way to the very spot where he was born, but now looking to court a mate and start a family. This is easier said than done, as he fights for the right nesting spot, which he builds with rocks that he collects. Then a potential mate shows interest... At this point we are 10 min. int the movie, but to tell you more of the plot (such as it is) would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this movie is directed by Disneynature veteran Alastair Fothergill ("African Cats", "Bears") and Jeff Wilson. When I heard of this release, my initial reaction was "haven't we seen this before in the Oscar-winning documentary March of the Penguins?". Turns out that concern is unjustified. "March of the Penguins" looks at the much larger emperor penguin, whereas this documentary follows the Adelie pengiun. There is a funny scene in the beginning where Steve accidentally ends up in a colony of emperor penguins and he gets slapped around... by baby emperor penguins (who are still larger than Steve). Once that was cleared up, the only thing that mattered to me was to see how spectacular the footage was, and there I was not disappointed. In fact, the footage is outstanding, and on top of that the film makers lucked out (if that is the right wording--probably they persisted and were rewarded) with some amazing plot twists--I really don't want to say anything more so as not to spoil). Just watch!

"Penguins" opened in theaters a few weeks ago, and I finally got around to seeing it this weekend, yes the same weekend where "Avengers Endgame" came out and dominated the box office (more than 90% of the weekend's business--but I have no interest in seeing it). The Sunday early evening screening where I saw "Penguins" was attended so-so--about 10-12 people, mostly adults I might add. If you love nature documentaries, you cannot go wrong with this. Of course I encourage you to check it out, be it in the theater, on VOD, or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray, and draw your own conclusion.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and entertaining
aayala-029048 May 2019
This was a heart warming story. Fun for The whole family.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lot of reality!
marilyncollins28 April 2019
I imagine this movie is for older children. It seems that a 10y/o and a 12y/o would posses the knowledge of ongoing battles it takes to survive in nature. I do not think children younger than this can appreciate the photography, the drama of life/death and the simple beauty of it all. Fantastic teaching aid!
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great for all ages
ammclealyssa27 May 2019
My adolescent friends and i saw this movie and it was one of the best times we've had at the movies. even made me worry steve might die here and there but disney came through. very cute. not too boring. underrated.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an OK documentary
emvxl7 September 2019
It's a good enough documentary with a playful theme. However, it comes nowhere near the quality and the information that you get from any of the BBC documentaries like Frozen Planet or Planet Earth.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great footage but had issues (possible minor spoilers)
mrvino157 September 2019
I loved the footage, I loved them tracking certain penguins and making a story out of their relationship, but.. In a "PG" rating, I didn't expect the producers to narrate part of the story as though the main penguins died, to bring drama. I was just in it for a relaxing, let's watch this (drama free) documentary. The other issue I had was the narration. They brought in an "A" list comedian to, sort of, humanize, this movie, and bring unnecessary comedy to it. I thought a normal "narrator" would have done much better, just imo.

Overall though, great footage, I wish it wasn't so short. :)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why does this movie lack reviews?
VeneratedVestige19 April 2019
Had a lot of fun seeing this in IMAX on Earth Day. Really funny and entertaining, even for adults. Especially recommended for family viewing, though. Finally, if you're an 80's music lover like me, you'll get a lot of joy from this film. Enjoy!
6 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome nature documentary
ilovefoodcoma21 April 2019
I couldn't imagine how much time & effort Disney had filmed this documentary. Rather than just filming penguins, they make it more interesting and has a story of one particular penguin. The editing job is awesome! The penguins look so adorable. The nature is so beautiful. This movie is very informative as well. I learn so much about penguin's life. Well done, Disney
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waddling In To A New Documentary Beat
rgkarim19 April 2019
Nature documentaries have been made famous on the likes of public television, but Disney was ready to one-up the game by bringing their magic to the big screen. With stunning effects and a budget to uncover the secrets of the natural world, Disney Nature was born. Ten years later, the subsection of the empire is back with another film, ready to bring the chills and thrills of the frozen wasteland few choose to trek. Robbie K is back with yet another review as he takes a look at:

Penguins (2019)

Directors: Alastair Fothergill, Jeff Wilson Writer: David Fowler Star: Ed Helms

LIKES:

Beautiful Cinematography Adorable Star Joyful Energy Good Censorship Voice over adding a punch Musical overture

SUMMARY: In a documentary, it's all about finding a way to capture the natural energy in the best perspective. Penguins has a dynamic camera work going for it, utilizing some fantastic technology to capture the feelings and magic involved with the penguin ritual of mating. The adorable star of Steve has pizazz and character, which helps bring the fun to this documentary. You grow attached to the little guy, feeling a sense of happiness radiate out of his squat body, that not only is thanks to the charm of the penguins, but also the wonderful editing of the footage the team obtained. While much of the movie holds that fun atmosphere, the dangers of the artic wilderness are still displayed as both natural phenomena and predators debut on film. Those darker, sadder moments are fortunately censored, so you won't have to avert your eyes too much for this film. Yet, if a documentary doesn't quite stand out to you, Penguins gets a nice touch from others by utilizing its voice actor Ed Helms to give a little pizazz to the artic explorer of Steve. His voice over montage acting as Steve's thoughts are entertaining at times, sort of filling in the silence with an approach that further added to fun of the movie. And yes, utilization of a fun music set brought more fun in the form of well-timed mood music to help add to the adventure.

DISLIKES: Short Not Quite As Detailed as Others Occasional annoying Commentary

SUMMARY:

Not much can be said in terms of dislikes of this movie, but there are a few limitations for this reviewer. For one thing it is short! While this can be a good thing, I think I wanted to see more of the ritual and lifestyle unfolding given the price of admission. Penguins fast pace will be great for modern attention spans, but for those that become engrossed into the movie, the abrupt stop will leave you wanting a little more bang for your buck. Much of this I think has to do with how they limited the world they were focusing on with this film. Other films in the Disney nature arsenal expanded to three families, colorful worlds, and more detailed behaviors that spanned a greater time period. In this case, the shorter focus may have been the reason for the fast pace given the limited content they wanted to focus on. Had they perhaps studied the patterns of some other artic creatures, this film could have been a little more of the adventure fans are used to. Finally, while I did enjoy the comedy provided by Helms commentary, there are times where they got a little overdone, but these are few and far between.

THE VERDICT:

Penguins is a fun adventure that serves as a good educational launch pad for those curious about the world around them. The adventure of Steve is a short trip into the artic, but it's a surprisingly fun one where joy, happiness, and a few other quirks exist to thaw the frozen atmosphere. Utilizing some solid comedic tricks, a captivating voice work and beautiful footage, the movie does a great job of keeping it appropriate for it's intended audience. However, this movie does still suffer from a few details that are missing and not expanding its horizons into the tundra like some of their other films have done and that may be the biggest limitation. This documentary is magical, but the fact that it's not quite the big budget blockbuster that we get shoved into our faces may also limits it's theater worthiness in the modern age. Still, yours truly would encourage catching it sometime, particularly with the little ones in tow.

My scores are:

Documentary: 7.0 Movie Overall: 6.0
3 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Documentary lite
jellopuke21 April 2019
Anthropomorphizing a penguin's mating journey, this is a fine movie for kids with some nice footage and a few moments of drama, but it's a Disneyfied version of life, so your mileage may vary.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A G-Rated Champion of Penguins' Delights
cwjackson-7015619 April 2019
Leave it to Stevie, he can get the job done. He's a first-year dad sharing with his lovely spouse the challenging responsibility of raising two, growing youngsters. To get to that junction, Steve had to build a foundation to cultivate his household. He has to travel to the right location, build and protect his home, and wait to meet his possibly life-long partner. You might imagine I'm talking about young suburbans in America or elsewhere in global communities. They are penguins, this is their story with Steve taking the lead as narrator Ed Helms guides along in the icy frontier. With a general title, Penguins is a whimsical and clever take on a well-known delightful film animal. You might recall the 2005 documentary, March of the Penguins which provided a more realistic perspective of these birds' lives. They have been the subject of some fictional live action and animation movies. This here is familiar penguin material, the filmmakers' awareness prompt them to keep it entertaining. With a fish-full of life lessons without preaching, Penguins relates to young and older ones the struggles of raising a family with less intensity of the March of Penguins, and with more fun. There are many humorous moments, some a bit strained but not irritating. Steve and his wife, Adélie face hardships feeding their children, from hungry predators, and harsh weather. It is a choice family film and a rare full length G-rated movie. I viewed it with a small audience of children with their guardians and elderly persons. The photography is spacious and exceptional. The storyline might push it limits a bit, Penguins was a pleasure to watch and wonder about these tuxedo fur characters.
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why do people say it bad?? They shoot it for 3 years..??!!
olimpius1 May 2019
It would be nice to watch the movie before you rate it... its nice family movie for every one. And its so beautiful and people behaind the movie spend 3 years to deliver it to us...so how can you be so mean its beyond reason..
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Go eat your own kids!" yells Papa "Steve" the Adeli . . .
pixrox125 April 2019
. . . at a marauding Skua dining a la carte on the title youngsters midway through the new "G-Rated" horror flick, PENGUINS. "Family fare" apparently has come a long way since the days of HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS. In our current Modern Era, when Real Life parents are being jailed for keeping their CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN offspring in starvation cages, film studios are crassly capitalizing on the prevailing zeitgeist with their exploitive ripped-from-Today's-headlines movies such as HONEY, THEY ATE THE KIDS (a more fitting title for the generically labeled PENGUINS). At a time when no one bats an eye as POTUS #45 passes the 10,000-Lie threshold, who can trust the narrator of PENGUINS when he asserts that Steve and mate "Adelie's" unnamed chicks make an implausible escape from the very Jaws of Death (in this case, a ravenous pack of leopard seals)? The voiceover dude admits that each such predator munches about 50 shrieking baby birds alive daily, and this movie features several such infanticides in all their gory. Your tyke doubtless will realize that these PENGUINS nuggets COULD actually be members of Steve's small family, since all of these characters look alike. PENGUINS should be rated "R"--no unaccompanied minors permitted!!
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
why is steve is a white dude in antarctica?
AziziOthmanMY10 September 2019
The story was simple however injecting the idea that steve was a white dude move because my niece kept asking why did that penguin sounds like a 35 year divorced old white dude. lol
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.