Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota (2018) Poster

Definition of cool
tiwarirohit-3024824 March 2019
It's one of the most funniest and coolest movie I have seen in a while. Amazing story and unique concept. Loved how they mocked Cliche bollywood movies 🔥. Felt like I was watching an Edgar Wright movie. Soundtrack is also great. It's worth your time and money.
56 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MAMI Review: Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota (7 Stars)
nairtejas26 October 2018
If Gulshan Devaiah came to me and told me that he wants my house I would willingly give it to him. Such is his magical charisma in the film (and in almost all) that I can't resist but start this review of Vasan Bala's second feature, Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota (The Man Who Feels No Pain) by singing his praises despite it being a masterful work of superb cast performances (including the lead Abhimannyu Dassani and Radhika Madan). He comes second in the silly yet full-of-life plot that narrates the story of Surya (Dassani), a young man born with a life-threatning rare disease which prevents him from feeling any pain, who yearns to push evil off the face of at least his small world. Helping him in his venture are the characters that I am in love with. In addition to Devaiah, Mahesh Manjrekar is the man who helps in making the film more memorable as you end the film humming that one number from the indie, upbeat soundtrack that has stayed with you and reminded you of a time when fun was simply watching a video of your favourite kung-fu hero in a VHS tape at your wealthy friend's house. Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota is brilliantly crafted by Bala with some of the best action choreography and music mixing I have seen all year this year. The humour is local, original, and bang-on ROFL material. If you are okay with shedding all threads of realism and watching a film for what it is (ultimate silliness) you will love this action comedy film more than I did. It is made for the generation of cinema consumers who would get it more if I use a certain term, so I will: it's on fleek. TN.

(Watched and reviewed at the 20th MAMI Mumbai Film Festival.)
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Trouble in Little Matunga
nsd-1744523 March 2019
Vasan Bala's incredibly funny and action packed 'Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota' is his love letter to all the action movies we watched growing up. In this superhero origin story from Matunga, he has managed to insert tiny references to all these movies in unlimited amounts. Be it the costume of Hammer Girl from 'The Raid 2', the tournament from 'Enter the Dragon', a water backpack used as a McGuffin and even the cliché twin brothers plot device used in countless Bollywood commercial potboilers.

Surya is a boy suffering from congenital insensitivity to pain, meaning he can't feel pain and has to keep drinking water to keep himself alive. Raised in captivity for 12 years by his idiotic but controlling father and a cool liberal grandfather, he has spent most of his time watching Kung-Fu movies and looks up to Karate Mani, a true legend in his city. He also has a childhood friend Supri who fights with everyone to protect Surya but can't stand up against her abusive father. These are very relatable characters and you start caring for them instantly. The innocent and childlike performance by Abhimanyu Dassani makes him even easier to care for. He is an actor with superb physicality along with acting skills, unlike say, Tiger Shroff who can't act to save his life. Radhika Madan deserves accolades for carrying such a layered and difficult role effortlessly. Surya and Supri deserve to be a part of the MCU. Special Mention to the scene stealer Gulshan Devaiyah in a double role, whose backstory is told in by far the most hilarious flashback scene since Bejoy Nambiar's 'Shaitaan'. Writer and Director Vasan Bala has finally proven himself to be an adept storyteller. His script is brilliantly detailed and filled with jokes and movie references that are left for the audience to grasp.

'Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota' is a film-grain VHS fueled package of insanity coupled with masterful action and Edgar Wright styled editing. There's a scene towards the end that hints clearly at the jingoistic clichés of movies like 'Kesari'. "You have to go to the next screen" Surya says. I strongly suggest you to go to a screen where this absurdist action comedy is playing.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must Watch! All the action packed fun you need
mugdhataksali22 March 2019
You must talk about #mardkodardnahihota Such amazing monotony breaker fresh cinema need more promotion. I loved it. More people should watch it. The way the narrative progresses without skipping a beat keeps your eyes glued to the screen. Stellar power packed performances by whole ensemble cast specially lead @abhimanyudasani and cliche villain @gulshandevaih are the show stoppers in this one. Must watch in theatre.. Don't miss it .
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most entertaining and whimsical action films to come out of India
Jithindurden26 March 2019
The love for actions films from 80s Bollywood, South Indian films, Chinese and Japanese action films and even the present Hindi and American films can be seen not just from the references and homages but it can be felt from each shot and dialogues. As the protagonist sets out to stand against everything evil as he has learnt from the numerous action films from his childhood which is his only real interaction with the outside world we also see how much heart was behind making this film in a way that the story can be viewed as a metaphor for the making of this film itself. Hearing lines like "You are a Kamal fan and not Rajini fan which is why you have grown this beard and started drinking" in between all the madness going on in this film was a golden moment for me. Only a South Indian film buff would be able to find all the references and homages in this film. The action choreography is so well done in this film. Unlike usual Indian action films in which most of the Villain's goons are just there too run and roar here each of them made it felt like they know what they are doing. We also got a legitimate action heroine in Radhika Madan who did all her stunts herself and was an actual powerful and believable character. Making fun of cliches never felt this respectful before. I already want to see this film again and I want that sequel they promised at the end.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome!
uzijariwala22 March 2019
Don't waste time reading this, go watch the film it's worth it!
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
90 nostalgia
porwal_198921 March 2019
Woah!!! this one is surely one heck of a ride. Too much fun. Bring every element of 90 including a song from Balasubramanium. Humour is top notch and so is the action. The mani brothers especially evil mani needs recognition he is too damn good. Best entertainer of 2019

Dont miss this.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A MUST WATCH
jetkot3 June 2019
This film is brilliant. Director Vasan Bala has made a gem. It has mindblowing action and comedy, The debuntante Abhimanyu Dassani has child like innocence. Radhika Madan is fierce and a delight to watch in action scenes. Gulshan Deviaah as Karate Mani and Psycho Villian Jimmy takes the cake. I laughed out loud in every scene . He has the charisma and style.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mad mad journey with 90s nostalgia!
vin_shaili23 March 2019
MKDNH is a mad mad journey packed with some hilarious moments and kickass action sequences. Probably the best hand combat scenes seen in a Bollywood movie.

While Abhimanyu and Radhika were great but for me Gulshan Deviah stole the show. Deviah is a Rockstar, nonchalantly pulling off two contrasting characters. Radhikas entry to Nakhrewali song is such a delight to watch and her car action scene is prolly something which Bollywood has never seen a lead actress do. As for Abhimanyu, it doesn't seem that MKDNH is his first movie. He narrates and takes you on his journey without pain which although odd, rare and superhuman, feels pretty genuine as depicted.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly recommended
rahulhimself8 June 2019
One of the best movies in recent times i have seen...its an ode to bruce lee / jackie chan kind of movies...the action is superb and so is the acting...you feel a genuine connect with the characters...I understand not everyone would connect to this kind of comedy...hats off to the makers for taking risk and giving us this gem!!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something Unique!
sarangs-6542019 June 2019
I usually don't write reviews for films. But here I am. This movie is a masterpiece. Something that I have never witnessed in Indian cinema. I loved the story, acting, and direction. A joyful, fun, hilarious ride that everyone will love. Probably one of the best movies of 2018.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
must watch
kuldeeplucknow2 June 2019
Movies like this should be appreciated due to their fresh content and amazing screenplay. This is a must watch flick.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vasan Bala tries a Tarantino-esque flick for a debut
priyanshupaul2321 May 2019
Surely an out of the box action commercial movie with major throwback to yesteryear right from the title to the numerous pop culture references.Refreshing and believable action sequences take this movie to new heights.Technically mindblowing and great debut performance by Abhimanyu Dasani.Radhika Madan serves a great transition and promise from the tv serials to this movie world with back to back great performances.Gulshan Devaiayah steals the show with career best performance and shows us what a capable actor he is.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A novel concept with scripting issues
adhyayan_reviews22 March 2019
This film deserves a watch for the sake of the ambition itself even more so coming from Bollywood where films are only getting more generic. The acting and the fight sequences are the highlight. However at 127 minutes or so I felt the film to be dragging for almost half the runtime. If only they could have had more laugh out loud moments and a sturdy plot to keep me interested throughout. The climax is a winner and so are Abhimanyu, Radhika and Gulshan (in probably one of his best roles so far). Vasan Bala has shown promise and I hope they improve upon the shortcomings of this film in the teased sequel (if at all one gets made)
21 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A HUGE step forward for Bollywood!
ronakkotian28 June 2019
I cannot describe how fun this movie actually is.

This is one of the most creative surprises I have ever seen come out of Bollywood. This film is just AMAZING!

The story follows Surya, a man who has a condition that allows him to not feel pain, as he tries to get rid of all the thieves and bandits in his area.

There are so many aspects of this movie which are so well done. Vasan Bala's script reminds you of Deadpool so much as he makes this superhero idea so self aware. The constant fourth wall breaking brings out some of the funniest scenes ever. I love the way Bala made fun of all the Superhero film clichés as it adds so much to the film's tone and characters. He adds so much development and care to each persona in order to understand and relate to them as much as possible. Bala's direction is splendid and has a lot of style especially during the action scenes. His direction also takes inspiration from Edgar Wright when he uses close-ups accompanied with quick cuts.

The performances are incredible. As his acting debut, Abhimanyu Dassani does complete justice to Surya and really nails the character. Radhika Madan is amazing as Supri. She conveys emotions perfectly so you care about her. For me, Gulshan Devaiah was a standout. Playing two polar opposite roles isn't easy but he does it with such ease and the chemistry both characters share is beyond hilarious.

The action choreography is fantastic and fun to feast your eyes upon. The soundtrack is very quirky and original as it contributes to the film's comedic tone. The one main flaw I have with the movie is its editing. At times, it's brilliant, fast paced and flows correctly with the movie's style but towards the middle of the film, it begins to drag and made me start to lose interest but fortunately the pacing speeds up near the final act.

Overall, Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota is an experience I won't forget easily. Its perfect blend of characters, action and witty humour shows that Bollywood can be diverse and creative as well as being enjoyable. This proved to me that Bollywood has changed. All I hope is for people to recognize this change.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Unique Approach In Bollywood That Surprisingly Worked!
mikbanerjee127 June 2019
Being an Indian, who watches a lot of movies from Bollywood as well as from Hollywood productions ; I must say as a Bollywood film it surprised me a lot! The concept and the execution is top notch and nothing ever seen before type! Kudos to the director and the producers to invest courageously in a project which might have simply become a failure! They took the risk and it worked out pretty amazing!

As the performances go, the debutant Abhimanyu (Son of Bhagyashree) has done an amazing job! I applaud him for choosing this kind of out of the box concept rather than some stereotypical Bollywood movie in his very first work in the industry. A GREAT START, I must say!

Radhika Madan, A Famous name in TV Show industry done an pretty awesome job too! Her action sequences as well as the conversation scenes were a pleasure to watch! She justified her character as 'Supri' fully.

Now comes to Gulshan Devaiah! What a performance man! Hands down! Doing two different personalities simultaneously is a daunting task and he played it brilliantly!

On the other side the Action sequences, editing, the retro style of soundtrack all mixed up pretty well with each other and was a perfect fit for the movie as well!

Although there are some pacing issues in it, especially in the middle parts but it is negligible as long as you are invested in the characters and the action scenes (There's a bunch of)!

Overall a really great film, something fresh and brilliantly executed! Go watch it and support these kind of movies more, they need the deserved exposure! :)
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bollywood's first action comedy which is better than any Hollywood action movie, even better than deadpool
nareshnegi-7872622 March 2019
If you are a hardcore action movie buff like me then you need to watch Mard ko dard nahi hota. Even if you are not you will still enjoy during the entire movie. I have watched almost all the best action movies there are in Hollywood and the selected few good ones there are in Bollywood but I can say this one is one of the best action movies ever even by Hollywood standards and a hell of a comedy movie which has such refreshing jokes even during the most intense action scenes without diluting the intensity of action. They tried making a reasonably OK Indian superhero Bhavesh Joshi Superhero but this movie is the real deal. It is our own desi dead pool but all the more funnier. Don't take my word for it and go with raised expectations but if you are looking to watch a movie this weekend, my strong recommendation is this movie and you can watch it with your entire family because they have not made it gory for action or sleazy for comedy. I promise you will thank me later 😁 and will wait for the sequel after you watch it, just like me.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want a next part of this
siddheshrara27 April 2019
Just amazing A different but so awesome movie. Best superhero movie for sure.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Indian version of Kick Ass
anandsdk22 March 2019
This movie is a treat for those who love action and comedy. The movie has some good crowd pulling moments especially if you are fan of narrative comedy. Mahesh Manjrekar has shown his class with this role. Go for it it's a perfect popcorn entertainer.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent film after long time.
robinroychy21 March 2019
This film was amazing. Actors and director done fantastic job. You guys should definitely watch it.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something new
vpbishnoi20 August 2019
I gave it 10 because that's what Bollywood needed , anything which is fresh will be acceptable. And cast is awesome.
Desi action comedy
I loved it. Even though there are some inconsistencies, the movie is fun and the characters are awesome 😍. The comic dialogue dilevery of Gulshan Devaiah were effortless and hillarious and I'm in love with the character of Supri, would love to see her more. The kid Surya was awesome and the adult Surya also. Kudos to the director and the team behind the film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't read reviews. Must watch "kill em with kindness""
akashjr24 May 2019
I watched hundreds of bollywood movies..and i honestly say this movie you love to watch..make your 2 hours happy with adventures...
!!Blast From Past Must!!!! Watch
RahuulSsoni0118 May 2019
It's a brand new masala of super action comedy. Mind blowing concept in the market. Gulshan did fabulous. Nava Londa bhi mast hai bawa. Paisa Wasool bole toh.

Waiting for Part -2
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its a lesson for us with lots of unique comedy
amitkowe22 March 2019
Actually,its a kids movie for adults.its shows the thought of immature kids r actually much better than the adults. This movie converts my thoughts think like child,thing differently, that r strongly very truth. watch itttt
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.