Undergods (2020) Poster

(2020)

Weirdly actually pretty good!
diedaily777 May 2021
I once read a John le Carré novel in which, early in the action, a spy, who was gut-shot and bleeding out on someone's carpet, was first and foremost profoundly apologetic about the mess, more than he was concerned with his own demise. Carré painted this as a quintessentially English approach to being in a state of profound distress. I must say: a fair enough stereotype, at least in those awkward cases where the carpet might be antique, and even for the aspirational masses too.

During the first ten minutes of this movie, I wasn't sure if I was watching something good. If you watch you'll see why--although the acting was really great then and throughout. Things were just so uncomfortable, inhibited, and so obviously sure to turn out badly in a predictable way. However, suddenly the movie took various hard, unexpected, and pleasantly intriguing turns. The slow start became, for me, canvas and backdrop to some actual stories. What ensued was actually pretty interesting and unpredictable.

Ultimately, despite the uncomfortably dystopian mess it drops on your proverbial carpet, this film owes you no apologies beyond the naked grotesqueness of it's own dark, forlorn, and pathological message. To me it's quite the interesting, last-minute suicide note of the languishing English soul.

My final verdict: well acted, interestingly plotted, very stark and dystopian, and it even offers a bit of futurist s/f backed up by completely convincing special effects. Absolutely worthy of a watch.
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Darkly comic, uncomfortably familiar
Grismar11 April 2021
A series of vignettes, connected in weird and unsuspected ways, painting the picture of a dystopia that reminds us of daily life more often than is comfortable. Powerful imagery and intriguing stories, though it perhaps lacks purpose and direction at times. Worth watching if you enjoy movies like About Endlessness but prefer a bit more grit.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suffering is now a film genre.
aeongale28 May 2021
First and foremost, acting is good and directing is excellent. So it has a solid foundation. The story is an anthology that loosely threads together tales of suffering manifesting within different environments. I'm still unsure if I enjoyed it. Perhaps some films are not meant to be merely enjoyed but to arouse contemplation. Either way, I'm interested to see what Chino Moya makes in the future, provided there is one.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated gem
djhellsinki-647038 May 2021
Just wanted to say that this is a very aesthetically pleasing movie, beautiful even when the subject is ugly, watch the first 10 minutes and be convinced. The acting is great, and the vignettes slowly get you into a parallel world where everything is slightly off while still being relatable. It's an unpolished gem worth watching.
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'll need to be on acid to fully enjoy this ride, albeit ignoring all the standard safety measures for said ride.
Top_Dawg_Critic28 July 2021
Cinematography and visual effects: stunning.

Wardrobe and backdrops/sets: jaw-dropping perfection (I wanted much more of the crumbling dystopian cityscapes).

Casting and performances: exceptional.

Music/score: on point.

Directing and camera angles/shots: great (especially for a newb).

The overall feel and tone as a dark dystopian science-fiction fantasy: outstanding.

Newb filmmaker Chino Moya certainly is a visionary, and sharing his breathtaking vision through his eyes was a huge success. His style and design of the film is to be admired and marveled at.

But his writing was rather dull and random, with stories that don't go anywhere, feel disconnected, and have an uneven narrative that made them feel incoherent. I do get his many dark-humor satirical metaphors, and although ambitious, the underwhelming domestic anthology dramas leave you with more questions than answers. His stories had plenty of style, but not much substance, and what was under the surface, needed much finessing and attention.

Overall, there were so many brilliant qualities to Moya's feature film, that it would shame some seasoned filmmakers recent films. I just wish his screenplay was just as great. Nevertheless, a must watch for dystopian/sci-fi fans, even if just for the atmosphere and visuals.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF did I just watch??
frankblack-7996131 May 2021
So, while there are a couple stories in this film, they are quite a chore to disseminate and dont really mean much of anything. The atmosphere of the movie is very dark and gloomy with horrible and nonsensical people making up the cast. Just awful.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
mitchowdhury-mail21 May 2021
I am always up for unconventional movies, and I had expections from the movie when I started. It turned out to be a disappointment.
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's been decades since i saw such a dark "movie"
cabtv3 July 2021
Atmosphere, acting and music are perfect and i only say movie in quotes because it's actually 3 unrelated short stories. Watching them is not fun and it isn't meant to be fun. It's the kind of dark movie we can't really show anymore because people won't see the point, mainly because there simply is none.

The stories follow normal people trying to cope with a highly unusual situation and failing in a (imho) very human way. Again, it's got no action nor comedy, it is just dark with a bit of mystery. But if you disregard the standards of today's sensational entertainment, it is an incredibly good movie.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Irony
alafouzos-1324315 June 2021
In the same line with works from Lanthimos,Alex van Warmerdam and. Haneke. The real deep bad in society that reproduce itself and the irony for the little "cute" problems,little "cute" bubbles they live bourgeoisie families as alienatied.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.