Tuca & Bertie (TV Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Not BoJack Horseman, doesn't need to be.
rajveerdhanak5 May 2019
Tuca & Bertie is a creative endeavour by Lisa Hanawalt, the art director of BoJack Horseman. But I think we all know that, considering most of this shows' viewers consisting of BoJack viewers.

With that said, its important to keep in mind that this show isn't meant to be compared to BoJack Horseman, but rather an entity of its own. Besides, Hanawalt confirmed they're not in the same universe. (Sorry Mr. Peanutbutter, no crossover episodes here!)

The art direction and the blend of comedic/serious tones are probably the only similar elements to BH. And they're absolutely spectacular on this show. In fact, its clear that Hanawalt had much more creative freedom on this show, considering the increased 'wackiness' of the style synonymous to her original style of anthropomorphism with both flora and fauna -- evident in her self-published books.

Another refreshing element was the pure-feminine aspect of the show, which big and small lifestyle tropes that would be relatable to most women -- a lot of them very intimate. Even the friendship between the two characters is well established and explored, part of the credit goes to the amazing cast.

Despite being a male, I myself could relate to some things the characters go through, and for the others -- I could definitely understand if not relate, which is another testament to the writing and performance.

It took time to get invested into the characters, since the beginning episodes seemed to lack focus and an appropriate balance between style and substance, but it definitely picks up soon. The latter episodes is where the show truly shines.

All in all, this show is definitely worth checking out. It's a binge-worthy show that won't take more than 4 hours to do so. Though the show is promoted as a companion piece to BoJack, we owe it to Hanawalt, the creators and the cast to not callously compare it with the show, since both are unique in their own ways.
53 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VERY FUNNY!!! Need more!
andresbolanos4 May 2019
The art style is unique and eye stunning. Very picturesque and pastel paint splash beautiful. I laughed every single episode, from giggles to jaw hurting laughs, this show connects you to the lifestyles of different women trying to go by life. Ali Wong's performance was incredible but Tiffany's was out of this world!!! I really recommend it, you won't regret watching this must-see hilarious bff show!
40 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bojack is one of my favorite shows
And this is like Bojack mixed with Broad City. It's bursting with such manic energy and creativity. The characters are great and the voice acting even better. I wasn't sure if I was gonna like this or not, I had a lot of hype built up. It's not Bojack (nothing is) but it's a wonderful and hilarious cartoon. Highly recommended!
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Aggretsuko please...
ryancarless3 May 2019
This is a pretty fun show. It deals with the heavy adult problems we all experienced juxtaposed with fun and vibrant ideas. The style may be from previous series Bojack Horseman but contains a new fresh look into characters with new possibilities for stories. Watch only if you like cartoons with fun characters and a lot of adult moments. I love Netflix! Buddy Thunderstruck Season 2 when?
29 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Iffy start, but it gets better
ottersandwolves6 May 2019
I'm a huge BoJack fan, so when I saw the same people made this, I was pumped. My excitement was immediately gone watching the first episode however. It's like the writers all took a copious amount of drugs before writing the show. It's loud and obnoxious at parts, and didn't seem to have any depth like BoJack has. But as the season continues it starts to come into its own and touch on deeper subjects, just like how BoJack did. Does this mean it is not loud and obnoxious at the end? No, it still can be, but it is not as jarring as when the show was at the beginning. While I'm not sure it will ever reach BoJack levels of amazingness, I am looking forward to the continuation of this show, and am excited at the possibility of other shows in the BoJack Extended Universe, or the BEU for short.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bojack H. On Bathsalts
boydjonah4 May 2019
The show is aggressive and wacky full of random and interesting art styles. Any time someone makes something that is different people say they had to be high to make it. If this person is high I really want to know what they're on. The show has lovable and zany characters with overzealous personalities. The humor can be brutal and there is no filter what so ever but I rather enjoy sitting and watching something with barely any plot. Most shows are overly complicated and filled with plot holes, this show on the other hand, offers a fun world to fall into while the kids are in bed and the neighbors are fist fighting in the kitchen.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different but Crazier than BOJACK.
djdevansh955 May 2019
Tuca & Bertie is the new offering via Netflix in Adult Animation. It is created by the production designer of BOJACK HORSEMAN. When a beloved show like Bojack is being considered for comparison, with that show it is very hard to match the quality. But still we are only one season old for this show. Let it grow more.

Talking about the show, its about the female bonding of two girls who are in there 30s. The biggest quality the show is that it is super creative in storytelling, detailed and sharp and CRAZY. It is crazier than BOJACK, I could say that for sure. Although the voice artist are pretty awesome.

The only criticism of the show is that in the last few episodes the writing gets little repetitive and the deepness which is growing is kinda fading. But we are only one season down. And I am sold for upcoming seasons.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL ANIMATION LOVERS.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry about the negative review but...
Anonymous_mouse8 May 2019
Found this cartoon just terrible. Tries too hard to be quirky but turns out cringey. Reminds me of teenagers trying to be "random". The oneliners and flashy fast-paced images did not appeal to me. Maybe this cartoon works with younger adults with short attention spans. Would not recommend to anyone I know.
45 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not a great storyline but a good tv show!
immyandrews8 May 2019
Tuca & Bertie does not follow an amazing storyline but the animation is super cool and I really enjoyed watching it! I watched it because I am a HUGE fan of Bojack Horseman but there were no similarities other than some of the animation. I have watched Tuca and Bertie through 3 times in the last few days as it is a very laidback cartoon. I liked it!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well done! ... definitely need more .... please!
dcpoulos5 May 2019
The show will appeal more to young women but i'm an older male and i was easily able to tap into the struggles of the characters and the wonderful overall humor of the show. wacky and quirky but with a pleasant humanity at its core .... it was refreshing to see Dirk, who is bashed as a typical abusive male, actually grow up without much difficulty into a more aware human! of course tuca and bertie have their human struggles too and this is what makes the show work for me. its hysterical but the show is also sensitive enough to the issues that real people face that the audience can care about and cheer for the animated birds. more please!
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most creative thing I've ever seen
amywinbolt6 May 2019
Let yourself go, don't take it too seriously and my god put on some headphones and enjoy the tunes
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aggressively generic?
dustinbaker-537314 May 2019
I'm really not sure how to describe this show. It's definitely not "good".

It's like someone sat down and said, "Hey, what if we made Bojack Horseman, but without the poignant social commentary, the clever writing, or the deep characters?"

It's just noise, dull humorless noise.
66 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The right dose of surrealness
giladekerm6 May 2019
I'm loving this series Hadish is hilarious as Tuka
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderfully Insane
lukesummers19956 May 2019
Instantly in love with this show, amazing art and animation, great story, overall a fun time, couldn't recommend this show enough!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely hilarious
katieabroadway7 May 2019
Wholesome in a raunchy way. A great show about female friendship and empowerment!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surrealism Masking Realism
scythertitus12 May 2019
At first glance this seems like a female centric Bojack Horseman, but while that is a dry exploration of the male ego and depression as a wider philosophical reflection on existence, this is more about the intricacies of everyday life and how it is to be a woman in the modern day. Both shows are important, but vastly different, so while the comparison is understandable, the show stands on its own.

Its easy to get distracted by all the surrealist humour and visuals, and these are indeed great, but they pale in comparison to the underlying realism that the show's writing conveys. So many times in the show something would happen that I could personally relate to women in my life, experiences they have had and how they handled it.

Overall this show is a great mix of surrealist visuals and real world situations that blend seamlessly and is funny and entertaining, while also having something to say about the modern female experience. You might not always agree with the characters or understand what the heck is going on, but there is kind of something in it for everyone and this is a great addition to the other Netflix shows like Bojack, Master of None and Big Mouth that try to capture something real, as well as generate a laugh or two.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incoherent nonsense
ingolfur_magnusson3 May 2019
I'm a big fan of most cartoons for adults. This is horrible with no story. It is just a random scatter of events crammed together between stupid music montages. Imagine the worst sitcom ever animated with animals instead of people and this is worse. Don't watch
60 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superjail for people who don't do drugs
blackbeagle-3357912 May 2019
It's pretty much unwatchable. It's not even clear they want you to watch it. Its just random things that happen from one second to the next. And why do the credits run for 5 minutes? What is this? Law and Order?
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay
tkagadavis4 May 2019
The best part of this show is the character design and animation. After watching this show, it made me feel a little sad that Lisa Hanawalt's visual style has been wasted in Bojack Horseman(Although I love that show). Another thing I thought was good was the two lead performances. Haddish and Wong have great chemistry and it is fun when these two are together. The humor was pretty good for the most part.

However, I thought that this show lacked substance. While I hate to use this term, I thought the show was style over substance. I also thought at the first few episodes I thought Tuca was a bit annoying. I also thought Bertie's actions were stupid and while most of them were in character, some felt forced and felt like the choices were made to progress the story. I also think the dramatic scenes were a little shallow. My biggest problem would be how some of the characters shift too much unnaturally. It gets really distracting when you watch the show from start again. Some of the choices and reactions the characters made were confusing. It made me thinking, "wait, I thought you enjoyed it? Why all sudden you are mad for him doing that?", "wait you are fine this but not with this?" or "wait I thought you were going to support her? Why are you a dick all the sudden?"

Do I think this show is bad? No. Do I think this show is good? No. Do I think this show is generic? A little bit. It was just average. Overall I thought it was okay and a little generic but has potential.
18 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loud, Messy, Annoying
dahmedda5 May 2019
This has got to be the worst animated series, its random which I could get away with, if it wasn't so loud with constant shouting or noises. This show wants to be in your face, it does accomplish this but in a annoying way. As for humour, it's all been done before nothing new nothing risky, I have gave this a chance and can say I won't watch more, the only thing pleasing is the animation.
34 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much edginess
neil-376-2243695 May 2019
The series tries too hard and is a tedious mess overall.
38 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who is this made for?
gittphuckt7 May 2019
So it's too childish for adults and too adult for children. Who is the key demographic that this show is aimed at? It's marketed as a spin-off of Bojack Horseman or, at least, in the same universe, but it's not. The storylines are childish in nature and the characters lack any substance. Overall it's very disappointing.
17 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I truly recommend this series.
dumitrueduard8 May 2019
Is so fun and full of life. Yes it might be a little too much sometimes that's why I gave it a 9, but it is about life, love, work. It's like the creator just wanted to let go of his amazing thoughts through a town where every little thing can be brought to life and live without inhibitions.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
theidioticking27 May 2019
I was able make it through half of the pilot episode before turning it off. I did have high hopes going in as it was made by a lot of the same people who produced Bojack Horseman. Unfortunately, while Bojack was a very solid show which brought up insightful topics and had fantastic and deep character development, this show is anything but. Unfunny, mindless humor. Characters are self-absorbed, which is fitting and relateable for a modern audience. Don't waste your time.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you've seen Broad City
burgessk-7338712 May 2019
This is an alarmingly similar, but less entertaining program.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.