Laila Majnu (2018) Poster

(2018)

Enlightenment through art
amandeep52698 September 2018
Laila Mainu is another contemporary take on this legacy of Love, and who could've done it better than Imtiaz Ali. Sajid direction is flawless, Story is raw & original, Music and Screenplay is epic. Don't follow the reviews, just follow your heart to feel this poetry in motion.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Close your eyes before it, let the film open up your eyes as well as you!
maulin58 September 2018
Adapted from the Persian narrative poem- Layla and Majnun, this film is presented by Imtiaz Ali and produced by Ekta Kapoor and Preety Ali, starring Avinash Tiwari and Tripti Damri in lead. Laila Majnu is directed by Sajid Ali, while written by Imtiaz and Sajid.

Film is based in Kashmir. How a girl named Laila (Tripti), a typical flirt and filmy girl, finds her love interest in a rich-spoiled man Qais, is the startup of the film. But there is an issue regarding their fathers, so the marriage seems to be impossible. What will happen next in their lives that leads them in to the state of Laila-Majnu, is the thing to look out for.

Imtiaz Ali said in his interview that the music in Laila Majnu film should not have to be average, or below averag. Despite having unknown names in music credit, we are having one of the best albums of this year. Niladri Kumar and Joi Barua have given absolutely pure music which fits perfectly into the story as well as in Kashmir. Not only that, but the lyrics have been penned by Irshad Kamil. Thus, songs are literally talking to us so much while in the film, (or even after the movie, too!) and make us fall in love with the story. All songs are incredible. Ahista is the one song I will remember for giving me one of the strongest goosebumps ever. Laila, Tu, Sarphiri - all are fantastic. While in Hafiz song, the memory of Sadda Haq pops up in the mind. In fact, there are many portions when we went to that stages which we had seen in Imtiaz Ali's films. And somehow I know why!

Because, the transition is important in every film of Ali. While, here we are seeing possibly the biggest transition a man can have, like Qais to Majnu. This is where the film goes beyond the expectations, beyond the reach of our mental state, beyond all the boundaries. And it becomes the must see film. But only for those who believe in Imtiaz and his stories, or in poetic explanations, or in purity which love brings.

Laila a.k.a. Tripti is beautiful, adorable and truthful to her lover as well as her father. Though both are newcomers, the story and performance is such that we can feel for them. I found Avinash as Qais like average. But when he returned in the second half as Majnu is mind blowing. Every reviewer has mentioned about him and his performance. Because, he has done his part brilliantly. The complexity of Majnu has been implanted magically. Namaaz scene in that portion speaks a lot. Whole review can be written on that scene only, because it says a lot. Add one more plus point, which I completely forgot was the beautiful Kashmir. There are many scenes, but don't miss the first scene after interval. Magic is awaiting for you in theaters.

Kudos to Sajid Ali. Actually, the first half was not so great. It was just good. The things happening there which eventually lead the film to its most dramatic exploitation, were not to be missed. It looks like that there is nothing, but when the story strikes you, you feel for every bit of the film. If you are going for this one, go with open mindset. Close your eyes before the film, and let the film open your eyes as well as you completely. It will become your most valuable experience.

I don't care about box-office numbers. Even the makers of this film do not care, too. Art can never be perfect, that too in its purest form. This film is a pure art which makes it an imperfect one. If it is perfect, it can't be true love. Feel the madness of true love.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotion filled ride
baruaritesh7 September 2018
Imtiaz Ali is finally doing what he does best. Write heart wrenching love stories. Very well made movie with fantastic acting and simplicity that will surely make you fall in love again.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leaves you haunted long afterwords...
pranjalapril12 September 2018
There are few moments in a movie that linger on afterwords. In rockstar it was " khatara bhai main khush nahin Hun" , in tamasha it was " kayar hai tu" , and in Laila majnu it is the Hafiz Hafiz song . It reaffirms everything leading up to it and you are reassured of being on the same page as the director.

Laila majnu sees some of the finer debuts of our time by both lead actors and second half of the movie will keep you riveted by the intensity, laughs and tragedy, the director invokes from the scenes. Watch it on the big screen to enjoy the Kashmir you may have never seen.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top performance by the actor
nagpalpulkit8 September 2018
A visual and musical treat. Avinash tiwary is awesome.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of its kind!
aasthamittal10 September 2018
Being a millenial I never got a chance to watch original Laila Majnu on the big screen, but this passionate love story refreshed all the memories and helped us relive the epic historic moments. Characters, music, screenplay shown in the movie are brilliant and no words to describe the beauty of Kashmir, location used in the movie. Majnu's performance is mindblowing I was teary eyes many times at his plight. Ahista sung by Arijit added soul to this love saga. Watch it and experience the power of true love.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True love never dies.
manikagarwal29 September 2018
In a nutshell , if a team of actors & able directors can make audience sit back in silence and be remorseful at many a occasions , then that movie must be carrying some soul of it !!! When the movie entered it's climax , not even a soul moved outside for atleast a minute !!!, First half is chirpy n young romance at its best with flirting, long mobile talks,eye to eye contact, repeated meetings amidst a beautiful scenery of Kashmir .. The chinars and the Dal lake with sone beautiful shots of the setting sun give you the goosebumps.. beautiful camera work . Both tripti and Avinash never look like it's their debut!! Infact , tripti who has been dressed up in gorgeous pinks/ greens/oranges steals many a scenes wit her grace .. but the star of the show is Avinash , Bollywood's next big thing .. With a heavy voice n a great screen presence , he has imbibed the nuances of his character like no one else and especially proves his talent in the second half! I was teary- eyed many a times at his plight.. And other big plus that attracts one is the music and lyrics .. Away from the routine tamasha songs of today , the romantic soft melodious tunes which gel well with the scenes and convey a lot.. especially , Laila, aahista and Hafiz.. and kudos to the effervescent irshad sir for writing some good poetry for celluloid.. A must watch , to just experience the power of true love and heartbreak!

Tip- wait till the end ,for the title song. - Carry your handkerchiefs..
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Despite the cliches in the film, Imtiaz Ali's perception on this Indian Romeo and Juliet manages to do some justice for the audience.
oazam7 September 2018
Laila Majnu is based on a persian poem that was a implemented in A.D 584 by poet Nezami Ganjavi titled (Layla and Majnun) which focuses on Qais and his love sotry with Layla. Imitaz Ali is known for intorducing very modern and stranger based love stries which describes smiliarity of 2 people with the same feelings and love for each other perceptions of love. Does this film do any justice to this modern love story?

Set in Kashmir, Laila who is spoiled in life and dreams for the perfect man in her life belongs to a family with political ties and lives under the tutelage of her father Masood Ali. One day Laila finds her Majnu named Qais who is also a spoiled brat as well as a notorious flirt and they fall in love. Qais and Laila's families are both rivals politically and their love becomes unnacceptable which separates them under no cost. Heartbroken Qais leaves Kashmir after Laila's marriage is fixed with one of her father's people Abbas. Qais realizing his love for Laila makes him go back to India changed to get back the girl of his dreams. How Qais tries to break every rule in the Kashmiri book to win Laila back is basically what this film is about?

Sajid Ali, brother of Imitaz ali introduces a modern take on Romeo and Juliet and his script in my opinion was above average at best. The film started on a very strong note where they introduced both characters in a very romantic way which made the chemistry between both characters stronger. The one scene which became the cliche was the separation between the two characters and that was a cringe based moment for the audience. Post Interval is where the chemistry changes between both characters starting with a maniac Qais who has the seriousness of any other ordinary character and it slightly drags to an unecessary extent. But for sure meets the standards to any Imitaz Ali film.

Acting was justifiable in a simple manner.

Avinash Tiwary was the main star of this film. While watching the movie, you'll see how nuanced and loving this character is. He was humorous and he had that lover boy type mentality which makes it an enjoyable watch.

Tripti Dimri was just an average performer because although she has the face and the potential to become a better actress with a more coherent script, her performance in this film caused her to lose the plot of Laila's love story and she was soulless throughout the film.

Parmeet Sethi acted well and he gave that villanous type of performance just like what he did in DDLJ as Kuljeet.

Irshad Kamil is one of my favorite lyricists for Bollywood and he maaged to write some nice lyrics and the music may not be perfect but they're melodious enough for the ears of the audience.

The direction and cinematography were both spot on and the glistening and beautiful reosnance of Kashmir was captured nicely.

Overall, Imitaz Ali managed to step up his game and this film is above avergae but it does justice to a good weekend. Decently written with miniscule cliches but this is a love story at its finest.

3/5 - Imtiaz and Sajid Ali have done it
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
happykumarsaurabh13 September 2018
Just awesome movie. Feel good after watching this type of movie after so much of long time
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If not a 10 for this movie then which movie???
alexanderthegre12 September 2018
If you are deep enough to appreciate the subtle nuances of the film you will be blown apart by an emotional roller coaster. Go with an open mind without any preconceived notions.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Duniyaadaari, that's what kills love
tabish-3971310 September 2018
Having watched Rockstar n number of times, I was waiting for this movie since the first time I listened to Atif's song Laila. Acting wise Avinash Tiwary steals the show, Kashmir's beauty added the required gloss to the movie, especially the Liddar river along Pahalgam and Dooodhpatri along with Dal lake, it just refreshed my trip to the heaven on earth. It would be mind-blowing if Gurez could be included in the movie and especially the Habba Khaatoon range which is famous for another take of love like Laila Majnu. But it's the present backdrop used in the movie which makes it surreal. Everyone already knew the ending but still people go because somewhere somewhat we all find ourselves in that piece of art shown on the big screen. I give 9.5 out of 10. Would love to watch again and again especially that famous scene of namaaz which is very famous from the ancient tale which wraps up the entire feelings of the movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have seen yesterday but still running on mind.
msgmrraq10 September 2018
Once again Imtiaz Ali did great job, love this film, fully emotional and direction was superb and both leading actors played out standing role, watched yesterday still running on my mind and want to watch it again, songs was awesome Atif Aslam and Arijit Singh, A must watch superb love story.
Truly romantic
manikagarwal29 September 2018
Beautiful flick. By interval I was choked.. worth a watch anyday .
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laila majnu movie can not better then this....
mrsunnycool14 September 2018
I watched it last night I slept over it and still I am not able to come out from the zone of this movie,some times its not all about being sad or happy after watching good cinema u just appreciate great effort,laila majnu is not a new concept or story but how they treated it (Said and imtiaz ali) is a out standing and mind blowing effort they already said it its there version of laila majnu and there version is top notch I think this is the best movie after jab we met where imtiaz ali is involved and one of the most important and break through part of this movie is performances and the guy who stole entire stage here was avinash tiwari(who played majnu) he was bang on from the very first frame he was in different zone and second half of the movie was only avinash tiwari,even the actress tripri dimri was amazing she was in her character she was looking awsome there are few scenes between her and avinash tiwari was great,being a first of sajid ali this was dream effort and obviously imtiaz ali is involved 2018 is turning out a great year for movie lovers don't miss this movie highly recommended.
Artistic portrayal of love
manikagarwal214 September 2018
M shocked to witness d treatment metted out to such a lovely movie.. with soulful music, swift direction , great lyrics , mesmerising cinematography n good acting , wat else do u want.. in d land of romantic flicks starring srk n Aamir , this movie is still nt able to garner attention n box office numbers.. I am appalled .. Such a different take on romance n heartbreak .. I still recollect not able to move at all in the second half.. . We as audience are becoming so unacceptable to good cinema
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch and feel the true love in heaven of Earth
signettephysio13 September 2018
Amazing performance by debutant actors, magical songs and reminds me of true love
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bollywood is still alive.
zariyab23 November 2018
Thank you Imtiaz Ali, this movie is a gem. Beautiful locations, beautiful songs, and some very good performances, especially from Avinash Tiwary. A must watch!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch love story..
wa-5976218 November 2018
I would say it is nothing but a Masterpiece of Hindi cinema..excellent direction, brilliant acting, awesome screenplay, average songs. A must watch Film..
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After Rockstar My Favorite Movie.
smartlk13 November 2018
After Rockstar This is My Favorite Movie What Love 😍😍😍
Stunningly Beautiful
maxon30513 November 2018
The leading cast did justice to the characters, a beautiful and true to heart movie, felt like a real piece from Imtiaz Ali's hands. a Must watch for all people.
A Masterpiece of Love with Amazing Performances
sarita-s8 September 2018

2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Experience a love we all want
sumitsingh-9678510 December 2018
There were two moments in the movie where I was stunned and had to pause the movie and think. The first one is when majnu faints seeing his laila after coming back from London and the second one is when a group of Muslims were offering prayer to their God and they were disturbed by Majnu and the lines which Majnu says will leave you stunned: " I was talking with my Loved one and so were you, but I was not able to hear you all as I was too much into it but I don't know how you did?"

The movie will have a long impact on your mind and you will be forced to think like all other Imtiaz Ali movie. The movie sends a simple message about love : Whoever you love, be with them at present because it is the right time to be with the person, don't wait for the time to be perfect because maybe when the time will be person, you both won't be there. Spread love.
A Super practical movie.
myabhishek188 December 2018
A Super practical movie. Bollywood is still alive.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
true for love... and lovers....
niravgosai6 December 2018
I think i become made after saw this movie. my heart and eyes both are cry. best star cast, best background score, best songs, best diologs and last one huge location of kashmir. i love movie because i still love her ..
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Speechless after a visual & emotional masterpiece
ash_time_ind30 November 2018
Maulin5's review on imdb is probably the most detailed accurate description of the movie. Its brilliant. Forget the critics reviews & ignore that it did not work in cinemas-that was just poor marketing. The movie is brilliant. Its love, beauty & Kashmir like you would have never seen before & I have been to Kashmir!!! The film is too pure & its song Hafiz Hafiz will haunt your soul for long. Imtiaz Ali's biggest masterpiece since Rockstar. One of the greatest love stories of all time comes out in the form of 2018's best love story.