The Cleansing Hour (2019) Poster

Quite good
mjsreg11 November 2019
This is one of the better straight forward horror movies of recent times. It is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

The story and production are solid and the acting superb.

Well worth watching if you are a horror fan.
36 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most definitely above the curve
sicbassman24 November 2019
You have to give this one points for originality. I think with a slightly larger budget this could have been a 10 out of 10 but damn it didnt stop me from enjoying this movie. Acting was outstanding and the story that pacing was perfect. There's a million possession films that have been done to death but this breathes some new life in a way that I havent seen since Emily Rose. I will definitely be recommending this one to other horror enthusiasts. God damn you gotta give a round of applause to the director and cast. I was really worried this one was gonna get real campy and the cliches would start rolling but once it gets going it doesn't let go of you.
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant horror..
lindyf2914 November 2019
Quite gruesome just the way I like it. I really enjoyed. Started out a bit slow and bad acting but the movie and the acting got a helluva lot better. Alix was brilliant as the possessed. Absolutely loved it.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The very best of B......
s327616912 November 2019
Whilst I would define this as a B grade film its the best of B. The Cleansing Hour takes a simple but well considered premise and builds a highly entertaining film around it.

It amps up the excitement and horror, degree by devilish degree, even managing to build in wider plot elements, that cleverly leads to a satisfying ending.

The special effects are nothing special but they are not dreadful either. The acting is above average for a film with this kind of budget. Its to the actors credit they do such an excellent job of convincingly carrying this decent little horror thriller.

I say this quite a lot but I really think the future of entertainment is not big budget flicks but smaller studios and modest productions. They don't have money to burn, so they take extra care with the limited resources they have, to craft something worthwhile. The Cleansing Hour is one such example.

7/10 from this happy viewer.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A definite diamond amongst the rubble of fools gold of which the horror movie industry is presently made of...
jswindter0110 November 2019
...I love it when this happens, you stumble upon such a true gem of a horror movie..and lets face it, these days thats a real rarity in terms of Hollywood's horror film industry.

I certainly was not expecting anything at all when I chose to press play and watch this little horror film today. Many times, if not most times, I come to imdb and check out what's known about a film prior to me actually watching it. I didn't do that today, but rather went into it only knowing what I'd seen a few months ago in having watched what I assume was the original short horror film of the same name. I found the horror short film to be entertaining, and my only hope was that it'd not been ruined by someone in the industry taking over and adding a ton of filler in order for it's run time to be sufficient enough to reach full length film requirements.

And just let me say, again, just how damn thrilled I am with this horror film. It truly has it ALL! Great storyline, great, thoroughly filled out characters(who you grow to care for, root for, and scream for when they meet their brutal deaths), excellent special effects, including tons of blood and gore to go around! I really could go on and on about all of the excellent qualities of this little gem of a horror flick, but I won't!

I will simply say the minute you come across an opportunity to see this movie, do so! I would really love to see this film in a theater..its one where the audience would only enhance the experience as each viewers tension, excitement, and enjoyment would ebb and flow throughout.. Love it and am even shocked at myself giving this movie the rare 9/10(and Good Lord before the haters coming squirming out of every nook&cranny I do not know a soul involved with this movie, or any other movie ever made).. I am just a die hard horror movie fan that absolutely loves when she stumbles upon a true diamond in the rough!
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie with an amazing ending! Highly recommended!
manuelasaez11 November 2019
This movie was a complete and total surprise. While the trailer was pretty well done and set the scene for the entire film, the end product was so well done, I really am shocked to see movies like this relegated to streaming. Everything from the direction to the acting was top notch, but it was the special effects took the stage and really brought this movie to the next level. Using a mix of CGI and practical effects, the film really does an amazing job of creating an effective and well realized universe.

I haven't been entertained by a possession film in years. This is the first one in a long time that was so expertly executed, that it deserves to reach as wide and audience as possible. If you enjoy well done films that are visually striking, then this is the movie for you! Plus, the ending is one of the best endings I have seen in a Western film in a long time. Truly masterful work, everyone involved should be commended on doing an amazing job!

A truly entertaining and well made film in every respect. It deserves high praise and any horror fan should give it a watch.
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would have been more effective with a bit of subtlety.
clairepiercey4 January 2020
Great cast. Started off well. I loved that thing in the alley. Where the horror experience went wrong for me was that the possession was like full on exposure- there was no creepy mystery to it. Initially the voice and appearance were very effective but I want haunting snippets of that horrible old woman voice to send a chill down my spine. Not full, direct conversations with it as it loses its scare factor.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i was positively surprised
sjalkarjadottir9 November 2019
I was expecting a "so bad its good" movie .. kind of like an amateur-ish attempt at horror with bad effects, poor acting and run-of-the-mill story. What i got was a movie that both confirmed the bias/expectation and also exceeded it.

The acting is below average .. there is little to no subtlety. It is a ride of extreme emotions and a bit of over-acting. There are non-essential characters that .. sadly are also treated as such (red shirts) - a stereotype that could have been averted without harming the plot.

There is good .. what i think .. practical effects. and absolutely TERRIBLE!!! CGI that looks like it comes straight from the Playstation 2 (and i really mean it). This is especially sad because some of the practical effects are really, really well done. Had the director (or whoever decides that stuff) decided to use the lights/darkness .. and use practical effects (in that case silhouettes rather than to show everything..) it would have improved the movie significantly.

There is good pacing .. in what is otherwise a predictable and simple story.

The conclusion .. is a bit surprising - for the movie does not follow the usual tropes for an ending of that sort of movie.

All in all, this movie is well worth watching
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertainment
farukhamra31059 November 2019
Loved this movie. It was entertaining all the way through. Wasn't slow in any way and it delivered the story. Acting was only decent but make up, costumes and CGI was great. I definitely recomend.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice twist and a great ending
eternalchaos10 November 2019
Not your typical run-of-the-mill horror story. This one has substance and great special effects. Acting was average but still was effective. Recommended!
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definetely underrated
thehacker740121 December 2019
When i am out of popular horror movie titles to watch i always resort to as what i call "Failsafe horrors".The term reffers to "promising(in my taste)" movies under 1000 reviews on IMDB. I have to say i wasn't expecting much from this movie but it actually kept me glued to the screen. Beginning is meh-in a sense like all these horror films start with the same story, mid-movie was great and the big finale was WT?!? All in all i have to say it was worth watching and i really enjoyed it!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good!
cyberfahd8 November 2019
Compared to most of the horrors You see these days, this one delivered. Decent acting, CGI pulled off right and a compelling story line. Most importantly, it had me watching with constant entertainment. With no big names or high budget marketing, this movie really did surprise. Heavily recommend it for horror fans.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cleansed of all Evil
tubbytarot8 November 2019
This is a really great movie! So much better than I thought it would be. Don't allow the terrible poster art to put you off. The acting is good, the practical make-up effects are outstanding, the little bit of CGI used is not too obvious and the stunts are cool.

The ending to the film is really clever. I like the way they overlay a sort of epilogue over the credits. It is a nice touch.

A definite 8/10 from me.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Visually Decent Exorcism Horror Romp, but goes from Intriguing to Cliche Fast
TwistedContent8 November 2019
I expected very little, and while it possesses not only people but also faults and cliches, "The Cleansing Hour" (a.k.a. "The Devil's Hour") is a fairly entertaining and technically effortful exorcism horror romp.

The filmmakers here take up the good old possession horror shtick, with stereotypes and all & puts in our modern millenial all-internet world. A live-stream show about exorcisms, secretly a hoax, gets visited by an actual demon and the many confrontations can start. The story has layers, backstories, twists, but the problem with all that is that it all (including the characters) resembles seen and expierenced horror trappings, cliches & has a pretty high predictability factor. Too much familiarity. In the end, "The Cleansing Hour" proves to be less original (in almost all aspects of filmmaking) than it might appear in the beginning. However, I wish to compliment them on the visuals - the camera work is dynamic and interesting enough, there's enough gore and various enjoyable fx, both practical and cgi, none of which stand out as bad or effortless. The movie has its action side, without which it'd be even lamer. As for the acting, I thought it's quite okay, assuring enough, on the background of many other imperfections.

If I was you I would be weary of all the high ratings (and also the extremely low ones), "The Cleansing Hour" is sort of unique on the surface, but after spending the 90 minutes closely together with it, I can surely say that it's nothing much more than another mainstream take on the exorcism horror subgenre, just visually well enough done to appeal to the masses. My rating: 5/10.
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Botched mess of a movie
hampersnow-289058 November 2019
This could have been an interesting story about an internet Exorcist who has to confront a real demon. Instead this movie is so poorly directed, edited and put together that you won't care about any of it. The acting is bottom of the barrel and so many lines are mumbled or spoken so quickly I had no idea what they were babbling about. There is nothing suspenseful or frightening in the least. It's poorly filmed nonsense. The most interesting thing in the movie is the excuses they come up with to get Ryan Guzman out of his clothes. Yes this is a horror movie where the only fascinating thing on display is Ryan's derriere. 2 stars for side-butt.
26 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like horror movies!
Max_Lucas9 November 2019
But there are so many out there flooding the market that just blow. Bad story, bad acting or both. This to me was better than the majority I've seen and that's why I scored it the way I did. Yes I've seen some better ones and scored them higher. But sadly not many. I liked this one, it was entertaining and stuck with me a little bit after the movie was over. That's all I can ask for.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
brian_nadon8 November 2019
Why would anyone complain about this movie? Unless you're jealous or need attention there is nothing negative to say about this film. The camera work, editing, costumes, directing, and special effects were awesome. The story-line stayed to its guns and produced a suspenseful film worthy of a good Friday night viewing.

Take my word for it as a movie lover, this film has merit! Enjoy.
15 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best horror movie I've seen in years
glide710 December 2019
I really don't get all the negative reviews. The film is technically well made, the acting is solid and it keeps you involved in the story. It doesn't slow down and there's even a satisfying twist. This is NOT your typical possession movie at all.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!
kryptonarie20 November 2019
I thought this was a great exorcism movie, considering the genre has been done to death. Yeah, pun intended! Good special effects, good acting, and good story, I was entertained! The Cleansing Hour was much better than what I had anticipated... yeah!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
anyone who didnt give this a 10 doesnt know movies
Southcarolina80314 November 2019
I dont review movies. this one actually turned out to be pretty good. and it had some seriously dope cg and a strong message! it actually gave me chills thinking about it. im actually high too so i dk if that adds to the factor but i take my demons pretty seriously and if you didnt get it that was Lucifer himself and he played every single one of them! and they gave you little easter eggs through out the movie and you actually would have to put it together to understand the context. and i got that! bravo zulu guys!
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow that was bad
edgarkaz13 October 2020
That was grade A certified trash. It had some of the worst cgi and some of the worst voice overs I have ever seen
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Happy horror fan here)))
tchitouniaram15 February 2020
Happy horror fan here))) Traditional premise,modern interpretation!Small production makes a huge horror! Who knows,maybe we will have next Wan in this director!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different take on an old story
traciannelise8 November 2019
This had some interesting and unusual ideas where as this theme has been done before. You wanted them to win and defeat the evil. It was also nice too see Good win for a change....sort of
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'The Cleansing Hour' updates exorcisms for the YouTube era
Sir_AmirSyarif15 October 2020
'The Cleansing Hour' updates exorcisms for the YouTube era. It tries to do something different with the exorcism movie tropes but for the most part it fails to avoid all the exorcism clichés. However, it is a thoroughly entertaining ride, combining timely social commentary on online fame and violent media with the creepy atmosphere of a good thriller.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly Surprised how fun this film was.
lawrencetlg22 November 2019
The film is entertaining and honestly overall an awesome night in. Its well shot, directed and edited who ever thinks otherwise is a jealous moron. It will scare you here and there people.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.