Burn (2019) Poster

(III) (2019)

Thanks, Burn.
chunkiefroth25 August 2019
Thanks for not being every other movie. Thanks for giving me a protagonist who isn't a cardboard cut out of a cardboard cut out. Somebody so far outside the politically correct Hollywood norm that I had to question my own morality a few times when rooting for her. In the dessert of superheroes, remakes, and pointless sequels Burn is a refreshing glass of. . . something different.

Praise aside, this movie's weaknesses all lie late in the third act. Minor restructuring, and capitalizing on things established could have made this a perfect 10.
59 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Decent Oddball Indie Thriller
TwistedContent23 August 2019
I wasn't expecting anything from "Burn", I picked it up as soon as it came out, hadn't heard any opinions and even disliked Josh Hutcherson before watching this. Much to my pleasure, "Burn" turned out to be a cool little indie gem.

"Burn" has many good things working for it, as well as some flaws. Things like simple, but vividly colored and crisp cinematography, subtle but well placed original score pieces & cool characters brought on screen by decent performances made this movie rise on the slightly-above-average level. Pretty much all of the characters are sort of one-dimensional & some don't get the journey we would want for them, but, nevertheless, they were fun. The main character (anti-hero?) really excelled, maybe by simply just being so weird. The pacing was mostly very even, maybe "Burn" burned for 5 minutes too long, but it's not a fatal flaw. The 1st half of the movie went by faster & seemed more substantial than the 2nd half. "Burn" is set in and around (mostly in) just one location, which makes me even more impressed, given the results. Many could ask "What's the point of this movie?" and, sadly, I can't answer that, but it sure was entertaining and pleasantly odd for 88 minutes straight.

"Burn" is a decent albeit forgettable expierence which I recommed to everyone who's enjoying his indie thrillers, dramas and horror flicks & loves a good 6/10 every now and then.
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
weirdly satisfying
iamjamalwhite3 September 2019
Yes, it is weird, a look at a girl living on the edge, just barely hanging onto her sanity. She is desperate to escape, to feel something, anything. Then a good looking robber gives her that spark. It lagged in places and you wanted to step in and fix it but overall, a cool ride.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way more deserving than the 5.5 rating, A witty storyline with brilliant acting try 7 - 7.5
tkaine325 August 2019
"BURN" 7 ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ = Light Praise For everything this film lacks like for instance scenery since the entire movie takes place at a gas station the film does wonders with a simple yet at times convoluted storyline by integrating moments of marvelous acting, especially from the lead role played by Tilda Cobham-Hervey who was brilliant. The writer director Mike Gan keeps the pace moving at just the right speed a few scenes I may have seen done before in other movies but it wasn't a carbon copy or felt like a rip off. The tension builds enough times to keep your attention til the end. I kinda predicted the outcome but it was fun watching it unfold.
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fantastic little thriller
JasonMcFiggins6 October 2019
Tilda Cobham-Hervey as Melinda and Suki Waterhouse as Sheila are extraordinarily in tune with what their characters call for to set Burn out on the unpredictable path it follows. Melinda is a sweetly disturbed, well intentioned, lonely girl who forces awkward moments with customers and who dips her finger in freshly brewed coffee to feel the heat she wishes to have with a man. There's an off kilter emptiness to Melinda that Cobham-Hervey puts front and center with an appropriate misleading elegance, creating a complex and dangerous character in a standout performance. And Waterhouse steals every scene she's in as the wise cracking Sheila who instigates and pushes boundaries with the chip on her shoulder and eye rolling attitude. The 2 are the perfect foil for Josh Hutcherson's Billy, the would be robber who wandered into the wrong gas station. Hutcherson is effective here, perfectly charming and convincingly hot headed when his charm fails him. Burn is a fantastic little thriller that unfolds slowly to reveal a twisted series of events, and its 3 stars are integral to its success in a dialogue heavy script. I don't know if there's good and evil in the gas station where Melinda works, maybe just a thin line in between the 2 extremes and Burn manages to toe that line and explore the grayest areas of life, the purgatory people create for themselves...or find themselves in. It's here where Melinda lives, on the edges of this thin line between good and evil in the seedy gas station of the highway called Paradise Pumps. And if heaven is paradise, this long night at Paradise Pumps proves that paradise is indeed lost. Burn is a great little gem, I hope people check this one out.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy people make for good thrillers.
adiakiw26 August 2019
Just imagine that your are a night petrol pump shop attendant and a robber comes along. The robber points a gun at you, asks for the cash, you give the money, the robber runs away, and finally you call the cops. This real life situation would make for a very dull movie. But with Burn, that is not the case. There is just too much crazy thinking, too many uncalled for words in the dialogues. So it all leads to a lot of trouble. The lucky ones are the quiet ones. I saw it with a group of friends and our cheap comments were flying fast and furious. We had fun.
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising
westsideschl3 October 2019
Initially, in the beginning, I didn't expect much when it was apparent it was going to be another film with a quick-stop gas/grocery robbery as the setting. And it doesn't deviate from that setting, but what it gives us in twists/surprises; unique characters; good acting & dialogue made this movie an engaging viewing.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a gas station attendants fantasy
ops-5253524 August 2019
Was this a weird story or not? i think so, and i think the last laugh is the best when the policeman asks''what happened here tonight''.

its a story about a shy and underestimated girl that does the dirtywork that noone else will do at the gasstation. she has a colleague that has karisma sharm and beauty to melt and control anyone, and its a man with a gun who tries to rob the gasstation. the robbery goes kinda bananas, and to find out what really happeneo watch ''burn''.

its a good story, it might be a bit slowpaced to many but it develops a way that many viewers will love. it has its crazy twists and turns that surprised me more than once. there are some accidental comedy here and there, but its not made for an oscar to win.

the grumpy old man recommends this flick cause when the going gets tough the tough gets going or burning or whatever....
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worth a watch
lifelinespublishing24 August 2019
Nice story though the ending had me dissapointed, hence only a 6/10 but +1 for Tilda for playing Melinda really great., Josh was good also on this one...

the story had you guessing what's going to happen but the ending really was not the one I had in mind.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The tables have burned"
chris-prowse30 August 2019
Listen, this isn't a bad movie. Don't listen to the 1/10 ratings. The acting is good from all involved and you'll find yourself wanting to watch more. My only gripe with this movie is that it feels a little 'all over the place' towards the end. It's almost like they couldn't decide what they wanted to do. Other than that, it's different than most thrillers I've seen and definitely worth a watch.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gave it 10, not just to boost the rating
ham-ma24214 November 2019
The movie is great, something fresh and not old recycled cliches. It has a deep sense which has to be looked at yet you can't really fully see what's behind that surface.

This movie is about a person who has issues with self-esteem, love and has actual intelligence to think outside the box. Other characters in the movie play perfectly for their given supporting roles to outline the protagonist.

Of course I would like more out of this plot and character development, because the ending was a bit too tight, but overall it's a great movie. I loved that reference that the "goody two shoes" is the most mental of them all xD.

The low rating reviews are the ones who don't really try to understand what they are watching, they are just looking at the screen and not really watching or listening. I mean if you want to have some background noise, just put on a radio or binaural beats, lmao.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neither the worst nor the best.
binaries25 August 2019
You can ignore this movie if you are expecting something from it. I've seen better and worse. This is just a mediocre movie about a random gas station in which a girl attendant is so desperately trying to find love and closure. Anything more would be extravagant or decorative.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky but fun
omendata24 August 2019
This is one of those rather off the wall movies that grow on you as the movie unfolds.

I thought it was going to be a run of the mill siege drama but it takes some really rather unusual twists and turns and has an excellent performance from Tilda Hervey who carries the whole movie rather well.

I wont give anything away suffice to say watch it, you may be surprised. It is not going to win any Oscars but the story is different from your usual run of the mill and it has some scenes that will have you wondering if you should laugh or cringe but you end up empathising with the main character Melinda. The whole film actually revolves around her and everything that happens is generated by the one character - very unusual character-centric film and well above your average drama!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An off beat thriller done right.
aleistad-115 September 2019
This movie had me on the edge of my seat. Like another reviewer observed, it's a test of your morality in a slightly disturbing way. Much better at appealing to your emotions than 90% of the Hollywood dross. Good writing, good execution and good performances all around and especially by the main protagonist.

I find the current low rating rather strange. If you like real movies with real characters, real emotions and a plot that will hold your attention, just watch it.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why don't you want me?
nogodnomasters6 September 2019
Melinda (Tilda Cobham-Hervey) works at a gas station and suffers from low self-esteem for reasons we don't know. She wants a relationship with a man, any man. She works with Shelia (Suki Waterhouse) a self-centered blonde, glued to her phone, who is of no help to Melinda's self-esteem. Then we have a robbery gone bad.

The production is all about the odd character of Melinda who is unpredictable for such a quiet person. I enjoyed it.

Guide: F-word. Near sex. No nudity.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a great movie.
aarinnkumarmishra17 November 2019
I just watched it. And the central character immediately caught my interest. I just couldn't pause or stop it. I never expected it to be so rich and puzzling. It's definitely not among the best. But it's not boring at all. It's entertaining, well written and the cinematography is very good. What makes it so amazing is "THE CAST". The main lead is a brilliant female Actor. And everyone else performed so well. Only flaws are - Character design and story's ending could have been better (for me). But that's just me. The one that this movie presents isn't bad either.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly very very good thriller!!!
tchitouniaram11 September 2019
Surprisingly very very good thriller!!! Acting is superb,story is unusual,can't say anything bad about this film!Totally enjoyable little movie!!!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless.
MongoLloyd24 August 2019
Every now and then I come across a film that just has no point, no real plot, and not even a magical great ending that wows a viewer or resolves all the nonsense that led up to it. This is one of those films.

I love the "people in a room talking" genre, which this is, and some of my favorite films fall into that category, but even the dialogue in this yawner is nothing special or compelling.

Barring a plot or characters motivations that make sense, there should at least be some snappy banter, but alas, all we're left with is fleeting eye candy courtesy of Suki Waterhouse.
22 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was good
STEVEN_SEAL13 October 2019
I liked it

Had very good cinematography, setting and score. Decent acting especially from the female lead. Also deviated from the usual cliches which was nice.

Give it a solid 7
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good for a low budget movie
ChrisOlliYo3 September 2019
Our protagonist Melinda here represents a nice, polite, awkward, average looking girl whom people tend to ignore and take advantage of. Deep down, she's extremely unsatisfied. One night, when she's working at a gas station like she normally does, a robbery took place. Given that she's sick of feeling desperation, she's trying to use this incident as her way out.

This movie doesn't copy any chiche scenarios, nor does it bore the viewers. The writer does an excellent job in terms of story telling and psychological interpretation. I highly recommend this movie.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haha
Headturner125 August 2019
Liked this. Not loved. I watch a lot of films and the last 15 or so have been mediocer but this stood out among them. Is it a movie you'll think about for a few days after no but I'mg giving a review because what I stated above. The main female wow. Lol. She had me cracking up with that whole scene with her and the policeman about wanting a ride in his car. This was a funny movie and it was intentional. The funny fact even that this meek girl was probably the the most dangerous one in the whole movie. The part with the bikers was funny too. The ending tho. Thought was going to be at her hand but once again she escapes all the bad with " the freak accident" tho if the guy was intelligent and smelled all that gas?!? WTH? Now she'll go on with her life and never get the help she needs. Any ways. I like weird movies like this so if your ok with seeing people get sht, burned, almost raped and some gruesome stuff thrown in with weird and comedic I think you'll like this. Tho this is an acquired taste. Indie type weird film with vey good acting form actors I didn't recognize from anywhere.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
quite frankly, it kept my attention more than about half of the other the movies out there
oasis-538813 September 2019
It is also a pretty great mystery - like who the hell thought this up and wtf were they thinking the entire time - rather brilliant actually

A+ in that department
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow
franciscocaldeira-4665327 August 2019
Sick & insane & perverse. She is desperate for love and attention. Perfect crime.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nice, Slow Burn
winterlantern26 August 2019
For a movie that takes place entirely in a gas station in the middle of the night, it managed to keep up the suspense surprisingly well. Melinda is pretty much constantly in trouble and Tilda Cobham-Hervey does a really great job playing her roller coaster of emotions. Suki Waterhouse is also great in this. The rest of the characters are pretty interesting, some more than others, which is good since they're what drives the plot along. The main problem I had was that I kept waiting for something more to happen, and it never did. The ending, at least for me, was exactly what I expected to happen, and that was kind of disappointing. This movie isn't anything outstanding, but it kept me invested the whole time, so I think overall it's worth a watch.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Melinda means business...
athies17 November 2019
What convenience store is gonna have embroidered name tags?!?

I can't even imagine what my pal Rob would say about this place. He's worked at every convent store imaginable.

OMG this creep is very creepy.

Good for you Sheila. I have a feeling that is the last night thing I will say about you.

They are charging the police for a cup of coffee? Guy you want to be burgled.

This guy is an idiot in several ways that are not even worth elaborating on. You know. *smh*

Come on Melinda... Do the right thing... ?

I would've gone higher on the zip ties. Bad truck driver. How about a little empathy.

Why is she buying a lottery ticket? Is that part of the story?

If they were really his friend they might've recognized his piece.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.