Robert the Bruce (2019) Poster

Appreciate the hard work getting it made. Doesn't make it a good movie though
gordonrazey4 July 2019
It's taken Angus Macfadyen 13 years to get this film of the ground for him to get it done should be applauded however it doesn't change my thought that the film is just not that good. For starters the direction feels very amateurish in places. I'm no director but there was some shots I definitely wouldn't have used or would have asked for a retake if I was in charge of shooting. The cinematography and lighting was bizarre in some instances especially in the church where it was unnecessarily bright where it was hard to see what's going on. It's extremely slow paced and plods along until half an hour before the end. A more seasoned director at the helm probably would curb some of the Criticism of the direction. It's definitely one of the lowest budgeted films I've seen in a long time. Nothing against it being low budget however it looks like they really haven't spent that much on it at all. It just looks far too cheap for my liking. I get that they filmed it in Montana for tax reasons but it just doesn't look anything like Scotland to me bar a couple of scenes near the end. It's probably the least convincing looking Scotland I've ever seen on film. The script I just didn't find engaging at all. Sidelining the main character for a good chunk didn't help. The final speech from Robert was great but it was too little too late at that point. As for the acting just say the non Scottish actors doing Scottish accents just don't work at all. Their accents sound more American scottish than anything else. Angus Macfadyen does a good job however he is far too old to be playing a 33 year old. He moves like a guy in his 50s. I get that he wanted to play him again but there comes a point it's just too late. I get that Mel was too old to play Wallace however he was still young enough that he didn't look awkward doing the more physical things. It would have benefited the production if they had just recast with someone new. This isn't braveheart 2 despite what the marketing had to say about it. I'd say more spin off than a sequel. Where braveheart was this big action based film Robert the Bruce is this very small slow burn character based ensemble piece. It's such a shame i came out feeling like I didn't know anything new about him that I didn't already know from his portrayal in the original braveheart film. I'm not big into my history but I question how historically accurate it is. Sure things like like Robert in the cave happened but I question when it happened. The music was nice mostly however a lot of the music felt very interchangeable and you could have played any Scottish sounding music and it would have sounded the same. The lulu song at the end though awful. I'm pro independence however I'm not just going to like something blindly because it helps the cause. It's almost feels a propaganda piece. Switch the words freedom and independence and it's pretty much a piece on independence. Propaganda regardless of which side you are on is never a good thing. It definitely panders to the die hard pro independence crowd so those will undoubtably love it. If you are still on the fence or against independence I don't think this will win anybody over. I don't think this is going to spark Indyref2 regardless of how much Angus wishes it does. Cineworld got a lot of flack for not showing it however after seeing it I can see why they didn't show it. Speaking to the cineworld staff the distributors didn't even offer them the chance to show it which tells me that the whole "banning" was all publicity spin. It worked though as it wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the attention it would have done otherwise. The promotion and distribution for this has been terrible. Bar a trailer there has been very little to let people know it's coming out. The distribution hasn't been great either. A lot of smaller independent cinemas that would have been ideal for this kind of movie weren't showing it and cinemas that were was only getting 1-2 showings a day 3 at an absolute push. Angus can claim it's fake people leaving bad reviews and pro unionists trying to sabotage it with poor reviews however it doesn't change that the film is a total dud
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal new Robert The Bruce Film
sheilamckenzie30 June 2019
A poignant portrayal of Bruce at his lowest ebb We see the King as a vulnerable fragile endangered character with a price on his head This is not the traditional portrayal of the warrior king in battle mode as we have seen in so many other films recounting Bruce's life Instead we are drawn into another side of Bruce's character as we see him portrayed as defeated & broken after he has hit rock bottom & all seems lost The story gradually unfolds & we watch how Bruce overcomes adversity and regains a strength & renewed invigorated determination High quality of acting Especially in the roles portrayed by the children
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful film worth seeing about a tale worth contemplating
dhcanavan30 June 2019
It is not what you might expect. It is a sensitive and moving portrayal of a real historical figure caught between fighting for a destiny they are driven by, and a sense that they have been blinded by egotism. The story is well known in Scotland but there has never been as powerful a rendering of it as this. It has the makings of a classic.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding, thoughtful insight
williamrobb19645 July 2019
After seeing the trailer several times, I was really anticipating watching this movie and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Very dramatic and yet sensitive movie, taking you through Bruce's trauma's following a string of defeats on the battlefield and how he reasserts himself.

Cannot recommend this movie highly enough. If you haven't seen it so far, why not?
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning film about an important period in The Bruces life.
gilchrist-982844 July 2019
His time spent as an outlaw strengthened his motivation to free Scotland from the tyranny of English rule. Very moving performances from Angus MacFadyen and the cast playing Morag's family. It has inspired me to have a deeper understanding of the man and the period. Thank you to the production team and cast for such a wonderful film.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long Overdue Account of a Majot Point in SCottish History
pinmarstaid30 June 2019
This is not a sequel to Braveheart. A Long Overdue account(mostly accurate) of Robert the Bruces trials and tribulations after he is crowned King of Scots at Scone.

Don't expect massive battle scenes however there are more than enough technical encounters to keep everyone happy. So Good

I will probably watch it a few times more.
22 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly Recommended
partcomm4 July 2019
The best version I've seen of this story. No big budget exaggeration, just heartfelt gritty story telling and great acting. If you get the chance do not miss out!
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best heartfelt films i've ever seen.
matthew1987200430 June 2019
Having seen this film, I actually enjoyed the chemistry between Angus MacFadyen and Anna Hutchison I found myself immediately hooked into watching this film, the rebirth of a true king of Scotland. And the widow and her family who inspired him to keep fighting for what they believed in. Zach McGowan played a good villain who was searching for the Scottish king all over the winter and the landscape of Scotland was most beautiful. The fight scenes never disappoint, its a real rise of a hero sort of film. The music of the film is great and the whole of the storyline was so great.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning Movie
texthomson5 July 2019
Gorgeous cinematography, strong performances, a beautiful little film that belies its budget constraints. This is a moody little medieval western, with echoes of Shane, mixed with Greek mythology's Trojan war.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
sxanmac4 July 2019
Very good storyline close to actual events great cinematography and character play. All stars to Angus Macfadyen who plays the lead and co-wrote. Couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. Great cinema experience.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poignant Story of Love and Loss
treena_hasthaal4 July 2019
Do not go into this film expecting the set, massive, battles of Braveheart. This is a small Independent movie that is more character drive. It is an intimate story of family, of loss, of torn loyalties and a divided nation.

Sadly, it also accurately portrays how money can make kinsmen turn on kinsmen. A sad fact that remains today in the divided nation of Scotland.

Be wary of the one star reviews, many are from British Unionists intent on damaging anything that remotely promotes the idea and dream of a free, independent, Scotland.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film
brydonmoodie4 July 2019
I really enjoyed the film . Angus is an accomplished actor who clearly put his heart and soul into the role . My partner and I thoroughly recommend this film 10/10.
19 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully Poetic
mnugent-7458011 July 2019
This is a surprisingly awful movie. It is no more than a month in the life of Robert the Bruce. A month in which he doesn't do very much. Every character at some point recites poetry, and when not playing the bard they speak in melodramatic statements in secondhand Scottish accents.

The dialogue was clearly written but a tourist who had spent a fortnight in Scotland, being force fed shortbread haggis on a permanent Highland Bus Tour. Nearly every word that was said by the loyal family left The Bruce staring into the heather wondering whether these were the exact words that would reenergise his fight for Freedom!

If David Brent was a 14th century freedom fighting Scot, he would be hard pushed to come up with a more uncomfortable rallying speech that battered us all at the end.

The Bruce The Bruce The Pub The Pub!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting concept - unfortunately badly done
vicreeves-153927 July 2019
The film was brave (excuse the pun) in terms of the perspective it decided to take. Unfortunately the low budget seems through every scene and the weak writing isn't overwhelmed by decent cinematography, which was it's only hope - but failed at.

Unconvincing lead - jaded and you could see him trying to be profound, but it was like watching what 1st year drama student think is profound.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must See
caranderson4 July 2019
This movie has been a long time coming and now it's here it's a must see. Loved it from start to finish.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Accurate portrayal of actual life
skrowelcyc6 July 2019
Scottish history is vigorously disputed territory and the story of Robert the Bruce its most prominent narrative. The story of the spider is deeply embedded in the Scottish psyche and the Bruce's struggles to overcome English domination with the victory at Bannockburn are the stuff of legend.

This film will disappoint those who crave battle scenes as much as those who demand historical accuracy; it depicts the complex psychology of the times with subtle dialogue and the close examination of intimate relationships between fictional characters, rather than chart the course of events. It is intense and engaging, and uses acting not action to tell the story, which concerns only that bit of the legend immediately after the spider and before banishment of the English, when the Bruce is struggling with demons and the rest of the characters dealing with issues of betrayal, resentment and loss.

The release of this film comes at a crucial moment in Scottish history. It is already despised and written off by opponents of Scottish independence as propaganda, criticised for its alleged historical inaccuracy and sentimentality. The director is after all a prominent supporter of Scottish independence and felt that his film would help the cause. In this context, it has already strayed into Scotland's most disputed territory. Viewed with an open mind, it is nevertheless a fascinating portrayal of how actual people in an actual situation might behave and relate to each other.

The acting is pretty good, although one or two accents did not quite make the grade, and there was some mumbling. Impressive work in the children's roles and very good camera work to bring horses deep inside the drama.

Go see it!
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoughtful
marlyngodfrey-0340130 June 2019
If you are looking for another Braveheart then this is not for you. No blood and guts, more the story of the broken man, King Robert, wounded and hiding from his own people who would give him up for reward for the English. We see his slow recovery of both body and spirit. We see the man behind the legend and a story not told in our schools. A rousing ending but only the beginning of our country's fight for Freedom.
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Bruce
bagpurse2 July 2019
A very emotional, moving and inspirational film. This story is told through the eyes of a widow and her family and is very intimate and draws you in. Angus Macfadyen portrays well the anguish that Robert the Bruce felt about wars. Highly recommended
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seeing Robert The Bruce the man
alisonbusby4 July 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this film seeing him in a different light and all his vulnerabilities on show. It was very moving and hits you in the heart. Beautifully done and loved it. Look forward to next one. Please say there will be a next chapter.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If at first you don't succeed
semaj19683 July 2019
I had the privilege of seeing this in Edinburgh at a small screening, film was introduced by the main star and director. This is clearly a labour of love and small budget dealing with The Bruce on the run and giving up on himself. Being hunted by other Scots who are after some coin, he has to hide out through winter. Filmed mostly in Montana with a bit of Scotland at the end, seems a bit of a shame but this sort of thing happens a lot. The film itself is a slow burner and a bit of a come down on the back Brave Heart, this is a beaten King giving up and hiding out, wounded he is taken in by a family who've lost their Husband/father to the battles with the English army. Some mixed feelings towards him but they come to terms in the end he is a good King and wants what's best for Scotland.

Bits of the film reminded me of old westerns like High Noon or 3:10 to Yuma, there's a showdown coming and the odds are against you but you have to fight regardless. It was good to see Angus back in the role of Bruce seems fitting and if they ever do a Bannockburn movie I'd want him back in the role.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robert the Bruce - 7 Stars
TheFacilitator30 June 2019
Seen at GFT & loved it. "Don't listen to the naysayers" Richard Gray movie has something for everybody except Unlimited card holders @Cineworld. Let the people of Scotland decide. Well-made indie movie. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tell us the story again, mom!
lamurray-229759 July 2019
As a history lover and pro independence supporter I was keen to this film in its 'limited cinema release' - but sadly this film is quite simply embarrassing. Twee, cheesey and just so disappointing!

The story line is tangent, dull and not engaging in the slightest, yet still bumbles along for two hours! I was ready to leave after the first 10 minutes, but stuck it out in case it got any better. It did not.

The many non Scottish actors' accents got laughably worse as the movie continued, but by that time this spider had given up all hope.

Dae bother.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film - loved it!
This is not a blood and guts gory battle scene movie but a thoughtful presentation of how the defeated, despairing Bruce must have lost hope, felt disillusioned and overcome with guilt at all the lost lives in his name. The film shows how physically and mentally injured, with a bounty on his head and hunted down by his fellow embittered Scots, with the help of a peasant family who shelter and nurse him through the winter he regains his mental and physical strength to rise again and win a great victory for Scotland in the end. This is a story of hope, optimism faith and friendship in the face of adversity. I loved it and would thoroughly recommend Scots whether interested in our history or not, to go see this superb film.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
feedthebear-3388330 June 2019
A truly magnificent cinematic feast A beautiful story wonderfully told This a great portrayal of a true Scottish Hero
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fresh take on one of Scotland's historic events.
allison-286985 July 2019
A fresh take on one of Scotland's historic events and heros as it's done through the eyes of a woman and her family story. The engaging cast take you on a journey that doesn't need CGI and huge battle scenes to be impactful. Shows that traditionally storytelling can be done on the big screen without a big budget. The power of the 'ordinary folk' to change their future is the key theme and the central role of women in what has been a traditionally male genre is refreshing.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.