The Mitchells vs the Machines (2021) Poster

Puts almost every other recent animated film to shame in ambition and execution
pugpool1030 April 2021
No amount of behind-the-scenes cinematic team-ups in recent years can compare to the overwhelming power that the guys behind Gravity Falls (Michael Rianda and Jeff Rowe) and Spider-Verse (Phil Lord and Chris Miller) have when you put their creative minds together on a singular project.

This is an amazingly fun movie from start to finish, benefited by some brilliantly stylized CGI that continues the trend that Spider-Verse started but taken a few steps further with some added medium blending that very much blew my mind. It also helps that 92% of the jokes land right on target. Did I mention that it also has a disarmingly astute emotional core?

Honestly, at this rate Sony Pictures Animation may be beating Disney and Pixar at their own game.
270 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't know what to expect.
dreamingnothing2 May 2021
My daughters and I watch a movie every Saturday night before they go to bed, and we usually just pick one and I cross my fingers that I won't be miserable for 2 hours. This movie was an absolute PLEASANT surprise. Great modern story, great adult humor, and AMAZING animation. A great family movie that will keep you laughing and entertained the entire time. I didn't watch the trailer and I didn't even know who did the voices in it. Watch this movie, with or without kids, it's a great watch.
143 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Movie
rcousins-8613530 April 2021
Loved every minute of it. Fantastic story and animation. Recommended!
191 out of 284 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedic Relief
I absolutely loved monchi the pug and the pal robots conversations. The story plot was hilarious and gave a funny take on an invasion on an otherwise serious situation. The voice acting was Brilliant, the relationship between the family members was very realistic in my opinion. I hope there's a sequel.
156 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally worth a watch!
averagejoe-1564430 April 2021
I really enjoyed this film and laughed really hard my diaphragm hurt. It was a really well told story and the animation style reminded me of the Into the spider verse style but with its own twist.

The jokes were on point as well, the humour had its own unique quirky feel which once you are in on the joke just brings along for the ride.

Totally worth a watch for everybody it's just a great family film for everyone with something for all to enjoy.
106 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Innovative Experiment of a Family Road Film
elicopperman30 April 2021
Sony Pictures Animation has been growing further and further in their filmography by experimenting with fresh computer technology and innovative stories, and none could be better proof than their most recent feature, The Mitchells vs. The Machines. Co-written and directed by former Gravity Falls writer Mike Rianda, the film was initially set to come out in September of 2020, but due to COVID restrictions, it was eventually delayed until the end of April and released on Netflix. Now that the world is finally ready to see the Mitchells unleashed, just how much was the wait worth it in the end?

The film follows the Mitchells, a dysfunctional family with an aspiring filmmaker daughter named Katie and a down to earth father named Rick that fail to see eye to eye from when they were younger. While attempting to rekindle their relationship on Katie's trip to college, the whole family winds up having to save Earth from a robot uprising while on a road trip. Now based on that bizarre premise, it would seem like we have a case of two different movies clashing together. However, the otherwise routine storyline of a family overcoming their differences is ultimately saved and even elevated by this other arc, because the movie's biggest theme lies in how overly dependent people have become to technology nowadays. While it is wonderful just how much the world has advanced in adapting to technological innovation, including animated features, one must be careful to not take it for granted. Sometimes, all it takes is just one person to deem an AI obsolete for the whole world to fall under chaos; that is just how much the reliance on technology has grown in humanity, both for better and worse.

As for the Mitchells story arc, like I mentioned before, it is admittedly a fairly standard plot about a parent and offspring needing to overcome their differences to connect again. However, to the film's credit, the characters themselves range from charmingly hysterical to surprisingly relatable. Katie represents the adorkably creative artist in many of today's generation, Rick is a good hearted albeit overly indulgent maniac of a dad trying to figure out today's youth, Linda is an overly perfectionist mother that demands the family be functional even at her most calm, and Katie's little brother Aaron might be the most hilarious dinosaur obsessed squirt since Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes (and their bug eyed potato dog Monchi is the cherry on top). This whole family of eccentric weirdos drive the film forward, especially compared to their allies and enemies, be it evil robots or family rivals. Not to mention, the whole cast clearly had a blast in their roles, especially Abbi Jacobson and Danny McBride being the most authentic as a quirky albeit frustrated teen and an overly impulsive father.

Out of all the animated features to be released this year right now, this film might have the most unique visuals and art direction yet. In addition to Lindsey Olivares' stylized character designs translating seamlessly in the SPA renderfarm, the animators did the most in exercising their acting chops to make the characters move like real people yet still feel appropriately exaggerated. The backgrounds are also a neat reflection of how the United States would look if it went from a neat colorful environment to a post apocalyptic sci-fi nightmare, with the right amount of special effects, color gradients and shadows to go along with the world-building. There are even nice additional 2D animated chunks that are either used in lieu of exposition or cute little add ons to the suspense in a given scene. The only genuine criticism to give the visuals is that sometimes those gimmicky effects and filters can be a little too frequent and even jarring, especially when some of the movie's humor is overly reliant on modern internet culture. Let's just say some of the filters could come off as jump scares.

I can't think of a better energetic romp of a film for the whole family to enjoy as much as this one. Not only is The Mitchells vs. The Machines an eye-catching twist on the family road dramedy genre, but it might be the most fun animated film released in a while. If Netflix and Sony Pictures Animation keep up this track record of enjoyable thrill rides disguised as innovative experiments, then there's no telling what the future holds for moviegoers. If you haven't seen the film yet, go on your Netflix account and give it a go. There's never been a better time to connect with your love of movies than now.
73 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
jennybrookman30 April 2021
So funny. A great family film. Kids age 10 and 6 loved it - as did we. Really hope there are more like this.
57 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extraordinarily Beautiful
SleepingMorpheus30 April 2021
Only thing ordinary of this movie are the generic storyline and themes. Other than that this movie is so gorgeously animated with the unique style, character design, voice acting and nice touch of comedy. From the makers of Spiderverse, this movie's bloated runtime feels like a treat. You can see the love they put into it. Watch it with your family, its totally worth it.
57 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Rhombus of Infinite Subjugation...
Xstal1 May 2021
Many a true word said in jest in this jest packed production that successfully parodies a host of familial, social and technological scenarios and nails them with aplomb. You'll recognise something in all the characters that you're familiar with in the analogue, some traits a little closer to home than you might like, but take it on the chin, smile and embrace what you really can be - before it's too late and the machines try and take it from you.
56 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good animation, funny bits, and some heart, but with a sub-par story :-(
stevebondi2 May 2021
Not a classic :-(. I also did not like the adult voice casting for the young boy :-(
87 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It tried.. a little too hard
arbukle-john30 April 2021
This would have been a wonderful family film if only it wasn't trying so hard to be funny (and failing) The forced in memes and full on trying to be quirky ruins the moment every 5 minutes.

I feel it was supposed to be a game that didn't quite get the ratings and they didn't want to scrap the story so just handed it off to Netflix to turn in to a film.
95 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It looks good...
NunYoDamBiz3 May 2021
If i rated it on visuals alone, my score would be higher. Unfortunately the story is nowhere near as good as the animation, it's too cliche and sappy. It's like they took a bunch of ideas that worked in multiple movies and forced them all into one story. And who ok'd the voice for the boy? Awful choice.
108 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard procedure
whotheff17 May 2021
A sunny Thursday morning, a Sony producer comes in and says: "Hey, let's create a new animated movie for cash! We'll use standard family movie script No 6, we'll praise being weird and mediocre family, sprinkle some compassion, etc. Then we'll mix some modern theme like computers overtaking the world. We'll speed-up the images x3 so all the ADHD kids can't die of boredom, add a lot of slow-mo, so parents can keep up and voilla!"
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The meme culture jokes are already outdated
laurawalters-275002 May 2021
Hooo boy, this is a strange one. There are unusually positive reviews saying 10/10 movie of the year, and it makes me wonder if we saw the same movie or are they bots?

You see, the problem with making a movie based on 'trends' is that by the time the movie comes out, the jokes are already old. This movie is so forgettable, I forgot it's name like 3 times, and I already forgot most of the story, it was so bland.

Did they rip off Pig the Pug?

I'm a fan of the creators and producers (Gravity Falls and Spider-verse alumni) so I don't understand why this movie didn't hit the right notes with me, I wanted to like it.
97 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringe. Are we heading towards Idiocracy?
alexandru-irimiea3 May 2021
Agitated, fast paced, shallow and plain stupid. Allot of it I recognise from all sorts of other movies or from pop culture, copy/paste remix, like a Frankenstein collage. How people are enjoying this is beyond my current understanding.
116 out of 273 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A "meh" movie at best.
japongt5 May 2021
Perhaps my sense of humor is not keeping up with the times but I did not find this movie funny in the least. A nonsensical plot (yes, even for an animated film) slapped together with a bunch of idiots, throw them in a plot armor bender and you'll get this. This movie has absolutely nothing on most pixar and dreamworks movies so I'd suggest sticking to those.
84 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing special
Dimakovtun3 May 2021
It's full of clichés, stereotypes and plain jokes. Closer to the end the number of cringy moments raises to one every minute. Music choice is also questionable at best.

Should be fine for small kids, but I'd not recommend for adults.
105 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved every freakin' second of it...
sirwillisiv30 April 2021
Sony Animation really knocked it out of the park with The Mitchells vs. The Machines. It's an energized, relentlessly funny, timely and heartfelt story about improving communication and valuing relationships. Its sharp commentary on technology dependence left me in stitches laughing and isn't short of food for thought. The narrative, characters and themes feed into each other perfectly and it's the most fun I've had watching an animated film since Into the Spider-Verse. With a quirky sense of humor and dazzling visual style to back up its punctual and earnest script, The Mitchells vs. The Machines is an animated marvel that will reach anyone no matter the age.
45 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watched this movie late at night and still didn't enjoy it
heroes-anthem3 May 2021
The animation was wonderfully done. Most of the good comedic moments came from the animated popups that would appear on screen a la Zombieland/Spiderverse; hats off to the animation team.

The rest of the movie was so derivative that it was on the point of parody, which would have been great had that been intentional. It attempts to be some kind of combo between Zombieland, The Lego Movie, and i,Robot but doesn't commit to what made those movies successful within their respective subgenres. So many other films have already done this but executed it much better. It was an example of the current state of many movies being made by bigger studios in the animation industry: the filmmakers knew how they wanted to begin the film and end the film and padded out the rest of the time with lazy, boisterous worldbuilding (think Soul, Inside Out, Frozen 2).
73 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful visuals, cringey humor
emccyu10 May 2021
The unique comic book style is great, but I can't give it a higher review because the humor is so grating. The jokes in this animation are basically weird/nonsensical = funny. Nty. The main character is unlikable-she reminded me too much of the self-labeled quirky people I've met, even down to the messy unhygienic look. The "quirky" personality and aesthetic just screams "I'm trying too hard to show I'm not like other people" and my family found the movie to ultimately be a cringefest. Those that share my preferences probably won't enjoy this movie as much.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Written by Artifical Intelligence
Rob-O-Cop3 May 2021
A distillation of 'of-the-moment' touch points so calculated and desperate it felt like robots had constructed it to please their masters, or worse a boardroom of executives had conducted a series of audience surveys and presented this as the result. I'm saying it had the appearance of depth and humanity while lacked real human depth and insight.

It was so jammed with whizz and bang and approximations of human moments that it fooled itself that it had heart, when it was merely imitating it.

It finished as less than the sum of its parts, without meaning and just mediumly entertaining.
45 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obnoxious.
adamstommy9 May 2021
Obnoxious is the best way I can describe this movie. Everything is just so over the top and annoying.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dragging
Mars-30382 May 2021
This was hard to watch- it's ridiculously cringe and predictable. Not sure how it got a rating of 8!!
83 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generic movie
joaquim-440652 May 2021
This is one of the most unoriginal movies I've seen in a while. Young girl wishing to run away of her family and go to college? Lady Bird made it better. Bad relationship with the dad? A pendrive to save the world? Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs made it better. Group of people driving through the country during a apocalypse? Zombieland made it better. There is nothing new to see here. Olivia Colman is the only good thing about this film, her lines are good, she is charming as always. Like her character said in the movie: That was soooo boring.
64 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually and audibly spectacular.
Ken_ZomgWtfBbq30 April 2021
Enjoyable film, but the score and visuals make the movie from above average to great.

Strong 7.5 a few of the movies messages felt a bit forced, pacing was almost jarring at times but a very good movie overall.
26 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.