Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) Poster

Thoroughly Entertaining sequel!
presic4 December 2019
I saw the movie on December 4, Indonesian premiere.

The whole story is a good follow up from the "Welcome to the Jungle" Jumanji-2 film, with some added actors (Danny DeVito and Danny Glover as a good choice.

While I was confused in the beginning, who was who once they were back in the game, the script itself allowed the avators to be exchanged so that they went back to the "Welcome to the Jungle" avators and the people who were in those (I hope you understand what I mean).

The story is simply a new adventure, and so much different from the previous instalment that it is not boring at all, and while it is rated PG13, I found that in general, it is a very good family movie.

All in all, and in all honesty, I already look forward to Jumanji 4 (Xmas 2020 or Xmas 2021 would do just fine.

Thumbs up for the movie, 8/10!
742 out of 996 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still amazing, more silly jokes and chaos on the screen!
aninspiration6 December 2019
Before going to the cinema to see «The Next Level» of Jumanji, I rewatched the first movie, just to refresh my memory. And after watching the new one, I must say - it wasn't underwhelming at all!

In addition to what the first film brought, new «Jumanji» has:
  • more jokes;
  • a whole lot of new characters;
  • a fresh look at the existing characters;
  • plenty of new locations and thus, much more adventures;
  • an absolute muddle of what's happening on the screen;
  • and yes, even more jokes!

Given the above, it's time to wrap it up - «Jumanji: The Next Level» is a solid following of a 2017's movie. It's all about laughter, fun, amusement and adventures, of course. In case if you seen «Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle» and enjoyed it, the new «Next Level» won't let you down.
651 out of 892 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes movies dont need sequels
ndivhudances29 July 2020
The first movie was so much better and funnier. This one just lacked something
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sequel and laugh fest, the new Jumanji knows what its doing
quiqueperezsoler6 December 2019
Mild, mild spoilers ahead....

I was scared they'd somehow screw up the sequel to the "reboot" they did, but I was greatly surprise at the new elements they added: the grandpa's subplot and the way it was executed and their contribution to the jumanji gaming experience (they were both hilarious); and all the new additions felt exactly how a sequel to a 90s sequel game would feel like: new abilities and weapons and scenery (or the would-be "levels" of the game) they still felt like they'd actually be levels of a game! It's exactly what I hoped they'd add on because that's the kind of thing the first movie did, it tried to work with the stereotypes and elements found in those good old adventure games like Tomb Raider.

I also liked that they brought back the WHOLE gang, the reason why movies like this where the most logical thing would be to make it anthologic, that is, with different kids experiencing the game; so when they try to use the same characters that supposedly learned something from their past experience in it, is a recipe for disaster because it's hard to bring all the gang together without it being forced. But i liked the way they did it, it felt controlled and fulfilling in the end.

In conclusion, it was a funny, entertaining and creative action adventure movie, it's not gonna win any Oscars but it's so wrll thought of that it's a delight to watch and I feel it never grows old, you can rewatch it and enjoy it all over again
589 out of 816 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1st one much better
shirinm21 December 2019
There was no reason to have the characters sound like Danny Devito or Danny Glover when the enter Jumanji. It made the movie less funny and the switch back to proper characters takes too long. Was hoping for much better
130 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so good
johnandpheebs13 December 2019
I really enjoyed the first movie but this one, not so much. The jokes seemed forced and not particularly funny. Even Dwayne Johnson's smouldering look wasn't funny this time around. At least Karen still looked beautiful as ever
79 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sequels, What Are They Good For?
dcgkmuaa25 September 2020
It is boring, it is the same as the lsat one and the characters are on god mode. nothing can hurt them. They are invincible and can never be hurt, shot or defeated and even falling from the sky does not hurt them. So, where is the tension?
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid addition to the franchise.
film_watcher_9 December 2019
This was a fun time. The cast and performances are both very good here. It's a fun popcorn movie - although, there are some "shocks" and somewhat violent deaths throughout which I found jarring and a strange tone choice. However, this is a great bunch of likable comedy actors/young actors being given the freedom to have fun in these roles. There are also some exciting set-pieces and creative vfx. It was a wise choice to bring back the entire cast too, with some new additions. I'd recommend this movie to anyone that wants to see a fun action-packed video game/blockbuster with likable and entertaining actors. But beware of the jump scares and "scary" animals if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.
293 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suprisingly, funnier than the first (imho)
natsuka_arei9 December 2019
To be honest, I don't have high expectation for the sequel but turns out it is exceeded all of my expectations.

Jumanji: The Next Level added new character, skills, and jokes for all of us. I could hear the audiences in the cinema laugh on the jokes and enjoy it as much as my boyfriend and I enjoyed it. Yeah, I have to admit there were some repeated patterns from the first one but along the way they also added several stuffs which brought fresh air to the whole movie.

Also, I think the sequel conveyed deeper messages than the first one, potrayed by the characters problem in it, in which we can related to our real life. Lesson I got from this sequel: Sometimes you will hit the end but it doesn't mean it is over. It means, all you have to do is living the present and look it with different perspectives.

From the plot of the story, it kinds of light and predictable, but hey, it is a decent sequel you can enjoy with your family. Side notes: They had after credits scene, it might hints about the potential third movie of Jumanji.
528 out of 757 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Level up.
Pjtaylor-96-1380448 December 2019
Even though its central concept seems ever-so-slightly more strained this time, 'Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)' is about as good as its predecessor. In fact, it's sometimes even better. Basically, the flick is just fun. The crowd-pleasing body-swapping is amped up to eleven, shaking things up just enough so that they feel fresh. The main actors continue to properly impress in their chameleon-like roles, joined by a few extra treats that perform far better than you'd perhaps expect. Indeed, these new players are probably its biggest asset; a couple of them thoroughly perforate the entire experience despite only having a rather small amount of screen-time. The picture is often funny - though, never hilarious - and is oddly endearing, to boot. It isn't particularly deep or, even, memorable but it doesn't need to be. It's a good time at the movies; what more do you need? Obviously some better theming and, perhaps, a tad of nuance wouldn't go amiss, but it's just not that kind of film really and that's perfectly fine. Even if it doesn't impact you as much as some of the year's best, it'll certainly make you smile and keep you entertained for a couple of hours. Besides, its inciting incident is driven purely by character and it even manages to squeeze some genuine emotional connection, via a well-drawn dynamic between DeVito and Glover, into its otherwise otherworldly proceedings. Its acting is also deceptively simple but decidedly fantastic, fully immersing you in the idea that these major stars are actually four teenagers and two old men. Basically, it's not as simple as you might think. 7/10
473 out of 679 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of the same, if that's good or bad is up to you
Finfrosk865 December 2019
I thought the last Jumanji movie was pretty decent, not perfect, but definitely not bad. If you liked that one you will like this. It is very much just more of the same. If it ain't broke, you know.

A couple new faces, one of them I really liked seeing. Won't say who it was, but if you're older than 20, chances are good you like the person.

The action is like last time, it's entertaining, but not mind blowing. The effects are overall good. The Rock has some, lets call them punching scenes, which I liked. Although the action direction overall, could have been slightly better, tighter.

They once again have fun with the fact that the characters "in game" represent characters in the movies "real life". And I am pretty impressed with how the actors fared. Maybe especially Dwayne Johnson. (I think he's taking some serious acting classes, he's getting better) Overall the cast in this is very likeable.

I didn't feel quite that much that I was in a video game, this time around though. Felt more like just an adventure, than an adventure videogame. They could have hammered home a little better. So yeah, I was entertained, but it's pretty shallow and won't stick with me like, say, the origianl Jumanji. (I watched that as a kid, and it was kind of revolutionary, so of course it stuck) Nice family flick.
336 out of 482 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Karen is a hard body
jamie-halton23 July 2020
You can watch it just for her abs and thighs. hey Karen, grow your hair out and be a 10/10, The rest of them are just rehashing stuff..
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Satisfying sequal
noahbetancourt8 December 2019
Surprised that this movie was good. Comparable to the first. The plot was the exact same thing as the first, but by adding new characters and switching up who's in who's body, it kept things fun and entertaining. Very funny, Kevin Hart was hysterical acting like Danny Glover, one of the highlights of the film. Unlike the first, this one had some good fight scene, and a few nice twists. Overall, just a fun entertaining movie. It doesn't stand above the first from 2017, not better not worse. If you didn't like the first, highly doubt you'll enjoy this one any more. But it's still funny for those entertained by the first.
353 out of 512 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The old people angle got old
andrewgwilliam14 December 2019
It didn't need Danny Devito or Glovers characters in it. Their characters inept way of understanding what was going on got old.
157 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable sequel
muamba_eats_toast8 December 2019
I absolutely loved the first instalment and to a large extent those that enjoyed the first will enjoy this it's still entertaining fast paced and humerous. The only thing I found was rather than laughing out loud and being on the edge of my seat like the first I had the occasional chuckle sat back. Having said that laughing out loud or not I was never bored and still had a smile on my face for the majority of the film. A decent sequel exiting at in interesting point for a potential 3rd movie.
384 out of 559 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First is better !
saptesh78615 December 2019
It is not so impressive as previous one. Character transformation is some way working not for all. Only Eddie's turn into Rock is highlighted part. Movie lost charm when Spencer back in Rock. Then story remains nothing. However funny dialogues surely will entertain you. Otherwise rest of movie is bore. I think previous one was better an interesting.
114 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the last
michaelshrivell8 December 2019
Took the wife and kids to see this and thought it was really funny and great for all ages. The rock and kevin hart just bounce off of each other and made the wife laugh more than me and a nice touch with danny devito and danny glover. My 8 year old thought it was better than the last and cant wait for the next film. Go take the family to see this and enjoy the ride
365 out of 532 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was HILARIOUS!
CallMeAi7 December 2019
I can't see how this movie was boring. You got the humor, the action, the excitement, the ACTING?! (and that ending tho...) This really was taken to the next level compared to the fist one. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I don't know which I like better. The 2017 version is like the "standard" version of Jumanji introducing us to an amazing cast and filled with laughs. This movie builds on that concept and takes it further with a more diverse plot and new characters. What I DID find dissapointing was that I felt that the fight with the villain was too short and over. But darn this movie was so FUNNY. I came out of the cinema with my stomach hurting because I laughed so much.
363 out of 529 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a good old fashioned fun movie
gluonpaul7 December 2019
There are not many franchises which have been renewed recently which I have actually thought turned out well. Most have been done badly but I have to say that Jumanji stands out as an exception.

This movie does not have a heavy deep story, doesnt try to be anything more than it is, this movie makes you laugh, keeps you entertained and ensures you leave the theater feeling happier than you went in.

It wont win oscars but it will win your heart, definitely a movie to go and enjoy at this time of year.
336 out of 489 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really really funny
JuliandeJong996 December 2019
The second film is way funnier than the first one. I thought by the first film that they could up the pace of the film to make it more exciting. This film had the right pace and it kept me excited for the whole film. And I love the addition of Danny DeVito!
336 out of 491 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snooze-fest
jay-salazari26 September 2020
Boring forced clone movie Well this is a bad movie (sequel) and not worth a watch, still not worth five minutes or less. All spammers praising this film use the word "sequel" in their subject line (poor Sony execs have a quota of spam).
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad
vengeance207 December 2019
Never knew a sequel was in the making & didn't think the first film needed one. But either way when I heard this was in the works I just had to see it!

The film basically picks up after the events of the first & once again the 4 friends & a few family members get thrust back into the game. There entails more adventures of action packed thrills galore!

I found the film to be pretty good, not as good as the first, but it was alright. It wasn't PC or Propaganda originated that's for sure. But saying that I did pick up on at least 2 things which may have been a little PC or Propaganda, but I don't know for sure...

Overall a great action packed film with epic visuals. Plenty of eye-candy for us guys, Karen Gillian especially! Even that scene in which the characters swap bodies... you'll know what I mean when you watch!

256 out of 381 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5x Better than the first one, trust me!!
fransiskus_kuskus5 December 2019
It has better action sequence n feels like a video games level design.
354 out of 533 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the 2017 version
ygunawan-118614 December 2019
Very slow story telling and not as good as 2017 version
103 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the first one
srdjan_veljkovic8 December 2019
It's OK, but, not nearly as good as the first one.

It's much less funny, much less interesting, the "video game look&feel" doesn't work as good, and in the last third of the movie Karen Gillan is fully clothed. There are some sequences that don't seem to have any real sense or purpose and are not very funny or interesting, like the whole "switch players while bathing in green goo", which actually happens _twice_ in the movie...

Of course, part of it is because the concept has already been explored in the first movie, so it's not as interesting this time around. But, still, they could have done it a little better, rather then trying to do it "a little less".

On the plus side, Kevin Hart does a _great_ impression of Danny Glover.

While it's an OK watch, I don't think it improves on the experience you get from the first movie and I don't believe you can fully enjoy it without watching the first movie, so, I would not recommend watching it.
79 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.