Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) Poster

Level up.
Pjtaylor-96-1380448 December 2019
Even though its central concept seems ever-so-slightly more strained this time, 'Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)' is about as good as its predecessor. In fact, it's sometimes even better. Basically, the flick is just fun. The crowd-pleasing body-swapping is amped up to eleven, shaking things up just enough so that they feel fresh. The main actors continue to properly impress in their chameleon-like roles, joined by a few extra treats that perform far better than you'd perhaps expect. Indeed, these new players are probably its biggest asset; a couple of them thoroughly perforate the entire experience despite only having a rather small amount of screen-time. The picture is often funny - though, never hilarious - and is oddly endearing, to boot. It isn't particularly deep or, even, memorable but it doesn't need to be. It's a good time at the movies; what more do you need? Obviously some better theming and, perhaps, a tad of nuance wouldn't go amiss, but it's just not that kind of film really and that's perfectly fine. Even if it doesn't impact you as much as some of the year's best, it'll certainly make you smile and keep you entertained for a couple of hours. Besides, its inciting incident is driven purely by character and it even manages to squeeze some genuine emotional connection, via a well-drawn dynamic between DeVito and Glover, into its otherwise otherworldly proceedings. Its acting is also deceptively simple but decidedly fantastic, fully immersing you in the idea that these major stars are actually four teenagers and two old men. Basically, it's not as simple as you might think. 7/10
85 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sequel and laugh fest, the new Jumanji knows what its doing
quiqueperezsoler6 December 2019
Mild, mild spoilers ahead....

I was scared they'd somehow screw up the sequel to the "reboot" they did, but I was greatly surprise at the new elements they added: the grandpa's subplot and the way it was executed and their contribution to the jumanji gaming experience (they were both hilarious); and all the new additions felt exactly how a sequel to a 90s sequel game would feel like: new abilities and weapons and scenery (or the would-be "levels" of the game) they still felt like they'd actually be levels of a game! It's exactly what I hoped they'd add on because that's the kind of thing the first movie did, it tried to work with the stereotypes and elements found in those good old adventure games like Tomb Raider.

I also liked that they brought back the WHOLE gang, the reason why movies like this where the most logical thing would be to make it anthologic, that is, with different kids experiencing the game; so when they try to use the same characters that supposedly learned something from their past experience in it, is a recipe for disaster because it's hard to bring all the gang together without it being forced. But i liked the way they did it, it felt controlled and fulfilling in the end.

In conclusion, it was a funny, entertaining and creative action adventure movie, it's not gonna win any Oscars but it's so wrll thought of that it's a delight to watch and I feel it never grows old, you can rewatch it and enjoy it all over again
123 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Satisfying sequal
noahbetancourt8 December 2019
Surprised that this movie was good. Comparable to the first. The plot was the exact same thing as the first, but by adding new characters and switching up who's in who's body, it kept things fun and entertaining. Very funny, Kevin Hart was hysterical acting like Danny Glover, one of the highlights of the film. Unlike the first, this one had some good fight scene, and a few nice twists. Overall, just a fun entertaining movie. It doesn't stand above the first from 2017, not better not worse. If you didn't like the first, highly doubt you'll enjoy this one any more. But it's still funny for those entertained by the first.
76 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable sequel
muamba_eats_toast8 December 2019
I absolutely loved the first instalment and to a large extent those that enjoyed the first will enjoy this it's still entertaining fast paced and humerous. The only thing I found was rather than laughing out loud and being on the edge of my seat like the first I had the occasional chuckle sat back. Having said that laughing out loud or not I was never bored and still had a smile on my face for the majority of the film. A decent sequel exiting at in interesting point for a potential 3rd movie.
74 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still amazing, more silly jokes and chaos on the screen!
aninspiration6 December 2019
Before going to the cinema to see «The Next Level» of Jumanji, I rewatched the first movie, just to refresh my memory. And after watching the new one, I must say - it wasn't underwhelming at all!

In addition to what the first film brought, new «Jumanji» has:
  • more jokes;
  • a whole lot of new characters;
  • a fresh look at the existing characters;
  • plenty of new locations and thus, much more adventures;
  • an absolute muddle of what's happening on the screen;
  • and yes, even more jokes!

Given the above, it's time to wrap it up - «Jumanji: The Next Level» is a solid following of a 2017's movie. It's all about laughter, fun, amusement and adventures, of course. In case if you seen «Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle» and enjoyed it, the new «Next Level» won't let you down.
130 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Entertaining sequel!
presic4 December 2019
I saw the movie on December 4, Indonesian premiere.

The whole story is a good follow up from the "Welcome to the Jungle" Jumanji-2 film, with some added actors (Danny DeVito and Danny Glover as a good choice.

While I was confused in the beginning, who was who once they were back in the game, the script itself allowed the avators to be exchanged so that they went back to the "Welcome to the Jungle" avators and the people who were in those (I hope you understand what I mean).

The story is simply a new adventure, and so much different from the previous instalment that it is not boring at all, and while it is rated PG13, I found that in general, it is a very good family movie.

All in all, and in all honesty, I already look forward to Jumanji 4 (Xmas 2020 or Xmas 2021 would do just fine.

Thumbs up for the movie, 8/10!
145 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the last
michaelshrivell8 December 2019
Took the wife and kids to see this and thought it was really funny and great for all ages. The rock and kevin hart just bounce off of each other and made the wife laugh more than me and a nice touch with danny devito and danny glover. My 8 year old thought it was better than the last and cant wait for the next film. Go take the family to see this and enjoy the ride
69 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was HILARIOUS!
CallMeAi7 December 2019
I can't see how this movie was boring. You got the humor, the action, the excitement, the ACTING?! (and that ending tho...) This really was taken to the next level compared to the fist one. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I don't know which I like better. The 2017 version is like the "standard" version of Jumanji introducing us to an amazing cast and filled with laughs. This movie builds on that concept and takes it further with a more diverse plot and new characters. What I DID find dissapointing was that I felt that the fight with the villain was too short and over. But darn this movie was so FUNNY. I came out of the cinema with my stomach hurting because I laughed so much.
88 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5x Better than the first one, trust me!!
fransiskus_kuskus5 December 2019
It has better action sequence n feels like a video games level design.
137 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a good old fashioned fun movie
gluonpaul7 December 2019
There are not many franchises which have been renewed recently which I have actually thought turned out well. Most have been done badly but I have to say that Jumanji stands out as an exception.

This movie does not have a heavy deep story, doesnt try to be anything more than it is, this movie makes you laugh, keeps you entertained and ensures you leave the theater feeling happier than you went in.

It wont win oscars but it will win your heart, definitely a movie to go and enjoy at this time of year.
77 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really really funny
JuliandeJong996 December 2019
The second film is way funnier than the first one. I thought by the first film that they could up the pace of the film to make it more exciting. This film had the right pace and it kept me excited for the whole film. And I love the addition of Danny DeVito!
87 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad
vengeance207 December 2019
Never knew a sequel was in the making & didn't think the first film needed one. But either way when I heard this was in the works I just had to see it!

The film basically picks up after the events of the first & once again the 4 friends & a few family members get thrust back into the game. There entails more adventures of action packed thrills galore!

I found the film to be pretty good, not as good as the first, but it was alright. It wasn't PC or Propaganda originated that's for sure. But saying that I did pick up on at least 2 things which may have been a little PC or Propaganda, but I don't know for sure...

Overall a great action packed film with epic visuals. Plenty of eye-candy for us guys, Karen Gillian especially! Even that scene in which the characters swap bodies... you'll know what I mean when you watch!

65 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of the same, if that's good or bad is up to you
Finfrosk865 December 2019
I thought the last Jumanji movie was pretty decent, not perfect, but definitely not bad. If you liked that one you will like this. It is very much just more of the same. If it ain't broke, you know.

A couple new faces, one of them I really liked seeing. Won't say who it was, but if you're older than 20, chances are good you like the person.

The action is like last time, it's entertaining, but not mind blowing. The effects are overall good. The Rock has some, lets call them punching scenes, which I liked. Although the action direction overall, could have been slightly better, tighter.

They once again have fun with the fact that the characters "in game" represent characters in the movies "real life". And I am pretty impressed with how the actors fared. Maybe especially Dwayne Johnson. (I think he's taking some serious acting classes, he's getting better) Overall the cast in this is very likeable.

I didn't feel quite that much that I was in a video game, this time around though. Felt more like just an adventure, than an adventure videogame. They could have hammered home a little better. So yeah, I was entertained, but it's pretty shallow and won't stick with me like, say, the origianl Jumanji. (I watched that as a kid, and it was kind of revolutionary, so of course it stuck) Nice family flick.
45 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suprisingly, funnier than the first (imho)
natsuka_arei9 December 2019
To be honest, I don't have high expectation for the sequel but turns out it is exceeded all of my expectations.

Jumanji: The Next Level added new character, skills, and jokes for all of us. I could hear the audiences in the cinema laugh on the jokes and enjoy it as much as my boyfriend and I enjoyed it. Yeah, I have to admit there were some repeated patterns from the first one but along the way they also added several stuffs which brought fresh air to the whole movie.

Also, I think the sequel conveyed deeper messages than the first one, potrayed by the characters problem in it, in which we can related to our real life. Lesson I got from this sequel: Sometimes you will hit the end but it doesn't mean it is over. It means, all you have to do is living the present and look it with different perspectives.

From the plot of the story, it kinds of light and predictable, but hey, it is a decent sequel you can enjoy with your family. Side notes: They had after credits scene, it might hints about the potential third movie of Jumanji.
47 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely amazing movie!
juat6 December 2019
Jumanji: The Next Level was much better than I expected, I wouldn't say it's better than the first one but it's just as good! Laughed more in this one, and the acting was absolutely amazing! They did a great job on that!

Remember to see after the credits scene! There's gonna be a third one :p I hope.
54 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid addition to the franchise.
ivan_9 December 2019
This was a fun time. The cast and performances are both very good here. It's a fun popcorn movie - although, there are some "shocks" and somewhat violent deaths throughout which I found jarring and a strange tone choice. However, this is a great bunch of likable comedy actors/young actors being given the freedom to have fun in these roles. There are also some exciting set-pieces and creative vfx. It was a wise choice to bring back the entire cast too, with some new additions. I'd recommend this movie to anyone that wants to see a fun action-packed video game/blockbuster with likable and entertaining actors. But beware of the jump scares and "scary" animals if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great and very funny
auliarachman-066446 December 2019
BEFORE WATCH, JUST REWATCH THE 1ST MOVIE FIRST

Storyline : great, funny and very entertaining but if you already watch the first movie then I suggest you must rewatch it first to remember it, if not maybe you will get a bit confuse. Effect : great
43 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NEXT LEVEL OF HUMOR, ACTING AND ACTION.
andrewchristianjr7 December 2019
Hillarious. Probably one of the funniest film of the year. Next level of humor, action and acting, feels like a real vg level design. Nice family flick.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chekhov's Nunchucks
mskelly-410 December 2019
The Rock gives the best performance of Danny DeVito's career. Also, Chekhov's Gun shall hencforth be referred to as Chekhov's Nunchucks.

What? You need more than that? Fine....

Jumanji : The Next Level is a direct sequel to the 2017 Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle which was a soft reboot of the 1995 film Jumanji.

Spencer, the lead from the previous film is having a hard time at college and finds himself back in the video game Jumanji. However things don't go as planned and his friends have to jump back into the game to rescue him. This time the game also sucks in Spencer's grandfather, played by Danny DeVito and his old business partner Danny Glover (in the best role he's had in well over a decade).

This time however, the players don't get to choose thier characters and this creates an interesting fish-out-of-water situation that the film employs to it's absolute best use. Moreover, the dual roles pull some surprisingly good impressions from our main video game cast and showcases a range you might not expect from stars like Dwayne Johnson or Terry Crews.

Jumanji has a tricky line to walk. Adventure/Comedy is a tough sell, yet Jumanji manages to craft a rollicking good adventure with action and peril, while never completely abandoning the humor. There are of course a fair amount of cheap shots and pratfalls, the movie does feature Jack Black after all. However there's a lot of smart jokes, and humor that doesn't rely on the lowest common denominator. It's exactly the kind of comedy that I love and it never lets up.

Throughout the film, there's a lot of heart, exploring interpersonal relationships against the backdrop of the adventure and ends with a genuine punch the air moment. The film is unfettered by politics and agendas and may actually be the most fun I've had at the movies this year.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining with a touch of romance
edyfarhan6 December 2019
The movie is hilarious, would love the chance to see it again but maybe ill wait for the BluRay version to come out. Enjoyed myself with the jokes, loads or laughs, no spoilers here !
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hillarious and Fun to Watch
elyce-ong10 December 2019
This is a great example of how a good sequel should be. It doesn't take away the true essence of the movie but it gives much more creativity. When you love the first, for sure you are going to love it the same. It is just fun to watch and it's a type of movie that you can watch again another time for fun. I love all the characters inside, but on this one, Karen Gillan steal my attention the most, she has a very beautiful animated looks which is suitable for her character.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Done with care and skill
dschlatter8 December 2019
I just love it when a crew manages to keep the bar high in a sequel. They didn't let it go to their heads (writers) and just made what would be level 2 in a game and nothing more. The new characters added a lot of value to the movie. Not only because Glover and DeVito's story is touching and believable (in the very short time it's being told), but the actors (the game avatars) nailed channeling DeVito and Glover. Kevin Hart stole the show as Danny Glover's avatar, but the others were impressive too. The Rock and Awkwafina did an amazing job acting like DeVito. Anyway, it was fun. Go watch it. Good quality adventure movies are hard to find these days.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny
little_tom_swinfield9 December 2019
This movie is great. Very funny throughout especially the start when they go into jumanji, probs to Kevin and Dwayne, jack black and everyone else the movie was Great! Might of enjoyed it more than the first. I Went to a special viewing at my local cinema
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the next level of Jumanji
bhernandez22164 December 2019
"Jumanji: The Next Level" is the next level of success. Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and Karen Gillan has done it again. It is more action-packed fun, and hilariously funny. This is the next level of the whole new world for a game for those who seek to find, for a way to leave their world behind. Welcome back to a whole new world... of Jumanji.
55 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect family film
vikesh2206-921-8641549 December 2019
"Jumanji: The Next Level" continues the Jumanji franchise with yet another entertaining and hilarious instalment. While the film drags, there are plenty of fresh elements that keep the film interesting. The acting is terrific, the jokes land most of the time, and the plot is adequate. There is a mid-credits scene that sets up an interesting sequel.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.