Char Man (2019) Poster

(2019)

Promising then throws it all away.
Lost_Highway24 January 2019
This started off slow and only really picked up in the second act when it started to show some promise. Sadly it never goes anywhere. After it ends you feel like there should be another half an hour to actually tell the story of what happened. Instead there is too much "b roll" and no actual film going on. Shame as from a technical stand point it was ok (as far as found footage films go) but it was let down by the writing.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
kfckidkfckid24 January 2019
I saw no merit in this 'film' whatsoever. Amateurs with a camera and kids in cheap hallowe'en masks. Wouldn't have bothered commenting but for , once again, an obvious planted 10/10 review. I hate dishonesty worse than bad cinema.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been so much more.
andrewmcl83-170-76441620 September 2019
The 1st half hr was a complete waste of time and I'll leave it at that. The rest of the film had some genuinely creepy parts and was building a story that it just never got to. I mean how many times are we supposed to be frightened by 7 yr olds in masks. They blew what was developing into a really good story, and then as with many bad found footage films, the ending killed it. The end was SO BAD. It made me drop from a 4 to a 3 on my rating. I would still recommend watching this because there is about 50 mins of decent movie, but dont watch when you have work in the morning and you missed 90 mins of crucial sleep time like I just did.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete waste of time
brunobaggio31 January 2019
Nothing happens in the entire movie. The only "action" is in the last 5 minutes or so, and it is complete garbage. Not even funny because it's bad, just boring.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time!
stephenw-3018025 January 2019
Possibly the most boring found footage film of all time!
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rubbish found footage film.
doorsscorpywag25 January 2019
If you liked Blair Witch this film is not for you. Rubbish performances and zero scares to go with them.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One turn that has no fright
TheLittleSongbird12 March 2019
Despite being no fan of found footage films, many being terrible and amateurishly made, 'Char Man' did sort of intrigue me as the advertising was sort of cool and while silly and hardly original the concept was one that could work if done right. Keep saying that there is no bias against low budget films, still stand by that and do realise that it is hard to make a film and a lot of time and effort is needed to do so.

Just that there are films that do much better in this aspect than others. There are far worse films out there than 'Char Man' and it is for me nowhere near among the worst in the found footage category. Although it does have many of the components that makes me not care too much, to put it lightly, for found footage films. It is far off sadly from being one of the watchable ones, one of the exceptions, which are too far and between. Am not going to be malicious here, never am (or at least never intend to) watching and reviewing films etc, the aim for every review written is to come over as honest and sincere and that is going to be the aim here.

Lets start with the good. There are far worse-looking found footage films, at least there is a little style and atmosphere and at least you can decipher what is going on.

Really liked the scenery too.

Other than that, 'Char Man' is a failure. Had real trouble getting behind any of the characters, all of whom were bland and obnoxious. Trying to forgive that they are less than fresh walking cliches for a minute, there were few likeable traits, not enough chemistry and when it was there it felt very awkward rather than genuine, character development was fairly minimal so they came over as bland and their behaviour and decision making lacked logic and further made them annoying. This is all accentuated in the pretty dire all round performances, with a lot of over-acting and awkwardness going on. Other parts of 'Char Man' are not so good-looking visually, with an attractive and unique town, although the scenery is still lovely, being portrayed far too ordinarily in general, and some of the photography is pretty lifeless.

It's the script and especially the story and its pace that most dooms 'Char Man'. The script is not much of one at all and is often paper thin, none of it sounds natural and it even sounds like it was made up on the spot with no experience in not making it stilted. The story is even thinner to the point of non-existence, it takes forever to get going and has so many aimless stretches that it goes nowhere a lot of the time. It picks up slightly in the last 10 minutes when it feels like something happens finally, but it feels too little too late and is nothing to get excited about. Not once is there any tension, suspense, scares, surprises or thrills, and really sucks the fun out of a myth that actually is that. The interest value is barely there too, because the pace is so pedestrian.

Concluding, a very weak film. 2/10
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was watchible but dragged a bit
waynehorrorshow12 February 2019
Ok then the story is 3 men making a documentary, they travel to this town and they wonder around the town talking about the char man but its starts getting wrong for them watchible thats all
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 Men in a Car
Phil_Chester25 January 2019
A found-footage style film sort of in the vein of 'Blair Witch Project'. It has a lot more wit and intelligence than you might expect and the central trio play off each other fabulously - great casting. It has a kind of '3 Men in a Boat' feel and I found it very entertaining. Definitely worth a look.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing but a waste of time
jumpchump-7736214 March 2019
There is no value to watching this, you only lose time. This started off extremely boring but picked up a bit as the trio discovered the char man mythos. The momentum quickly dissipated with the obligatory "now scary stuff is going down " sequence, and caps it all off with the most garbage trope found footage ending. Volunteer at AA if you want to waste your time watching people make the same mistakes over and over again without learning from those who already made the same mistakes.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWFUL, 10/10 RATINGS ARE FROM DIRECTOR AND FRIENDS
Defenseman1327 February 2019
Come on guys, at least a few people made fake accounts with only one review (this movie), but when the name of the producer is in one of the usernames? Unethical guys. As another poster said, dishonesty is as bad as lousy cinema.

As far as the actual movie goes, I enjoyed seeing Ojai (lived there for a five years), but the novelty of saying "I know where that is" or looking for your car wore off in five minutes. Literally nothing happens in this movie except for a few kids in masks looking through windows or appearing in a hallway, and grating characters that freak out over nothing. Not sure how this is adding anything to the genre.

In the end, as an Ojain, it also feels like a disservice to the town. Zero decent establishing shots of a unique town, instead it's just the Blair Witch Project (without any supernatural stuff). I was shocked that someone could drain anything picturesque or scenic out of this town, but these guys found a way. Sad too, because there's so much actual lore and fun regarding the Char Man myth (there's hot sauces and bands named after him), as well as a town full of colorful characters and rad business owners that could have been interviewed. The Vine (the place they shot behind for a few scenes) is literally full of theater actors. So much missed potential. But hey, that's what happens when randoms don't research towns.
18 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They went for the blair witch effect
kaefab3 March 2019
And since blair witch was god awful on its own, this movie failed equally, even if in the movie for a few seconds what was Jeff Kober (one of the best bad guys ever) doing in there.

I wonder who approves those movies to be made, they are just terrible this one look like it was shot in a old VHS recorder.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excruciating...
sim-sean6 February 2019
Boring as hell,. It quickly meanders into tripe, despite the OK start. Tried to watch more than 20 minutes before I decided I had other important things to do... like clipping my toenails. Obviously a lot of fake reviews here.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnum PI sucks
berg-7453218 February 2019
After about ten minutes I could no longer watch because of one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen in a movie. The temper tantrum about the tennis court was ridiculous and my guess is the dialogue was largely improvised for realism but it just makes it more amateurish. While I only watched the first few minutes I'm sure it did not get better.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a missed opportunity.
onceuponadavid7 June 2019
Just finished the film and I counted 3 "scary" scenes were scary things happen. Even then they weren't jump scares. They were more creepy and even then the over the top campyness of the actors ruin the scene because its just like watching 3 gay dudes act like idiots for 1.5 hours (I'm a gay man myself so no homophobia intended).

Its almost like the film makers wanted to make a stupid movie because there were SO MANY moments I was waiting for a scare and got nothing.

REALLY disappointed. You don't need a huge hollywood budget to make a scary movie, just go watch The Fear Footage! gave that 9.5/10.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a more fresh take on the found footage genre
WatcherOfTheSkies7773 August 2019
The characters were well acted and unique. One of the most important things in a found footage horror is how invested you are with the people and if the situation that they are in is clear and relatable. Char Man reminds me of the best in the genre but also provides a needed fresh approach to found footage storytelling.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst ever.
DruDushku18 June 2019
This is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen - by a long shot. I honestly can't believe it's even a movie. If I didn't know it was a movie, I would think a bunch of nerdy dads went on a guys' trip and filmed the scenery and their meaningless banter. That's this movie. This is the kind of home movie you delete because nothing happened and you need to free up some space on your phone.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Characters worth rooting for
JCanni688 April 2020
A faux documentary about documentarians trying to pursue a story that ultimately takes a turn, the story is as interesting for it's filmmaking elements as it is for it's horror. The documentarians are each entertaining and enjoyable to watch, and they keep you hooked in the adventure. Their dialogue and interplay is genuine, funny and endearing. The horror elements don't always land, but there are some genuinely creepy moments that are effective. This film will inevitably be compared to the Blair Witch in style, and that's not a bad thing as both are raw, haunting and have a lingering effect.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I had a fun time
craig-ahrens21 May 2019
Okay so here's the deal... I watched the trailer so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself into. I knew I couldn't take anything very seriously and to just sit back and have a good time. Well, that's exactly what happened. This is a fun spoof on documentaries and for me, it worked. I went into this looking to be entertained and I was. I totally recommend this fun film.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Effective and Creepy
briandilorenzofilm13 December 2020
Kurt Ela and Kipp Tripple's "Char Man" is an enjoyable and unique entry in the found footage genre. I really enjoyed the meta conversations between Kurt and Kipp about shaping the narrative, from arguments over b-roll to what should be the "trailer moment". The duo both give natural, assured performances while slowly ratcheting up the tension. I was also very intrigued and spooked by the mythology and backstory of Char Man. The scares take some time to arrive but when they hit, they are effective and deeply creepy. For fans of the genre and alike, "Char Man" delivers the goods
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty and creepy found footage horror
robinhoodinmoscow11 December 2020
An original and raw twist on the found footage genre with a zest of local legend. Kipp Tribble will be a director to follow. Here he builds up tension in a subtle and unsettling way. Jeff Kober and Kurt Ela both deliver very solid perfomances. A good discovery and a fun watch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good genuine edge of your seat horror
jo-1426530 November 2020
Good writing from beginning to the end carried out by three very good actors. The sound quality was excellent together with its documentary look. A very believable horror film that keeps you at the edge of your seat. The story was simple yet intriguing . I would highly recommend this flick to anyone who wants to feel fear not from a monster but from the unknown.
Oh, please!
song_of_rainbow20 November 2020
By 13:52 minutes, I already DID NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE. It's about three middle age guys planning a movie. Reminded me of my son and his two best friend, discussing the making of their second movie. (The first was a very funny kung fu movie.) The second, of course, a 'vampire' movie, like this one. The three kids ages added to of one of those three. The boys, more mature, and smart, decided that was a stupid idea. Okay, so let me continue watching. "Ha, ha open door to toilet." "The caskets are the size of beds." "Not there, look at that wall." Fast forwarded: interview guy: "Got peas, radishes." Start at 25 minutes before the end of the movie, you will thank me.
Nice Cover
jessmr-431917 September 2020
The attraction for me was the cover art. A simple forest photo with a face appeared to say give it a shot. Hit, was my next thought, so I reached for the remote and did just that, "STOP". That took 14min into the movie, though I regret not trusting my gut at 6.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
found footage mixed with comedy
mich1elle27 August 2020
A wonderful mix of scares and comedy. I love the twists this found footage has.