Dirty John (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

Very entertaining, but extremely alarming depiction of real events.
wlwise12 January 2019
First, anyone giving this miniseries a low rating and calling Connie Britton's character "dumb" or "stupid" has obviously never been in or been close to anyone in an emotionally/physically/psychologically abusive relationship. If they had, they would understand that, unfortunately, situations like this do happen, and much more frequently than would be expected. They also would understand how difficult it can be to extract yourself from abusive relationships, even if the abused realizes how bad the relationship/situation is. While I read the published story, I have not heard the podcast, which is supposed to be fantastic. The tv show is pretty faithful to the published story, although some of the characters (primarily her two daughters) are a little exaggerated for tv purposes. While I, like most viewers, feel frustrated with Connie Britton's character due to her repeated poor choices, I easily can see that she is a very sweet, giving, compassionate person who is naive and too trusting of others due to the way she was raised and her own honesty - she simply can't fathom that anyone could be so malicious and dishonest because it isn't in her character makeup. If you've been "around" in the real world at all, you'll quickly realize that most people highly suspicious of others tend to disbelieve so easily due to their own tendency towards dishonesty and deception, as well as low self esteem.

After saying all of that, we (my husband and I) find this show very entertaining and extremely well done. Both Eric Bana and Connie Britton are excellent in their portrayals of their characters, and I would figuratively "kill" to have Connie's character decorate our house - she has exceptional (decorating) taste!
99 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the low ratings
IndianaGuy28 December 2018
This series is great. The cast is superb! Sure, the character played by Connie Britton makes terrible decisions. She's gullible, if I'm being nice. She's downright stupid, if I'm being honest. This really happened. It's based on a podcast (which I have not listened to yet) and I have read that this show didn't embellish too much. You can't change the characters or the narrative to make certain people happy. Some viewers complain about the daughters. I think Juno Temple deserves an award for her portrayal of Veronica. The other daughter, played by Julia Garner, is slightly shrill and annoying.

Creepy people like this guy John Meehan are out there and need to be brought into the light. Great job.
73 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How does this get below a 10?
manriquezjason28 December 2018
Ignore the bad ratings, these people are irritated by the daughters who are whiny and spoiled. You can't lower a rating for a character flawlessly played! If you listened to the podcast you'd see it's dead on! The acting is great, the story telling is even better. You really get into the show. A must watch!
78 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it.
mmartello-1628520 January 2019
Don't understand the negative reviews here at all. I binge watched this without knowing any backstory whatsoever of this real-life story, so it was unpredictable which kept me hooked. This was highly addicting with great acting and storytelling. Connie Britton was fantastic as Deb. Yes there was disagreement with her actions and I got annoyed with her multiple times, but at the same time felt bad due to Connie's strong portrayal of a broken and vulnerable woman looking for love.

The daughters were a fun addition to the show as well-anyone who says they're annoying doesn't understand this generation (or Southern California). Yes Veronica was spoiled and privileged, but also smart and badass. Same with Terra.

Great pacing, great setting, great story. Each episode was a rollercoaster.

Watch it, I loved it.
40 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing !
juanpablosegundo5 January 2019
I'm absolutely glued to this story. The actors are all great- including the daughter(Juno Temple) who is so universally disliked, because , well, the actress is great at playing that role. If this were only a movie, many details of the abusive relationship would be ignored, and the details here on how the guy (Mr Bana!) treats his victims are everything. Amazing cautionary tale, addictive series.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really great ride
prospero-2548225 December 2018
We are loving it! I did not listen to the podcast so maybe that's why my reviews seems to be out of line with others here, but we are you episode six and can't wait for the next one. Julia Garner, who my love on Ozark play such a different character here but quite well. I find it amazing to see big box hero Eric Bana playing such a creep and doing it so well, he's not phoning it in here. Glad I'm already married, cuz this show and put me off dating forever. I liked Connie Britton in Friday night lights and I think she plays this role quite well, Juno Temple is such an annoying spoiled brat that you almost hate to see her be so right in the end.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
god awful
karen-heffernan10 December 2018
I don't know if it's the writing, the acting, or the directing, but I could not sum up any sympathy for such a colossally stupid woman or her incredibly annoying daughters. It was so unbelievable to me that these were real people. I could not believe that at her age, and after multiple failed marriages, she could be so naive. I don't get how they got past the first date, not to mention the countless red flags. I normally like both Eric Bana and Connie Britton but I only got as far as the third episode, life is too short to waste any more time on it.
131 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chilling story of an American Psycho
AdrienneGrayceMusic16 January 2019
Very good story. I am just learning about the Dirty John story, and I recently watched the new true story that was aired on oxygen network. The story of a womanizing psycho who gets away with swindling not only vulnerable women, but also scammed other people, such as senior citizens and other gullible people. He was never put in prison or jail long enough and it shows how messed up the justice system is. As for this series, I do like it, but some of the casting is questionable. I like Connie Britton as Debra, but I think they could have found a better looking actor to play John Meehan, than Eric Bana. He did ok in playing him, but he just didn't fit his profile. They also made the daughters to seem like more annoying brats than they really were. Those 2 on screen were almost unbearable to watch. The story had to be told though, and Im glad it was. I'm looking forward to finding out how they will manage to squeeze in a season 2.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind-numbingly dull
kellybailey-2352114 January 2019
Connie Britton's character is such a dim-bulb, it is agonizing watching this stupid character make all these stupid decisions. Her mother is even dumber.

The 2 actors that play the daughters affect the horrible Kardashian-like way of speaking, in which every sentence starts in a baby voice then spirals downward into a strangled Gollum whisper-screech.

I kept watching because Eric Bana is in it.
60 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I kept thinking: "Why am I still watching this?"
dvandenbrandt20 February 2019
Have you ever sit through a series thinking 'Why am I still watching this?' Trust me, you'll know what that feels like after this...
30 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really wanted to like this...
iChristy18 December 2018
I had seen several things about the real family and also the podcast, so I went in really excited. Connie Britton, Jean Smart & Eric Bana were all good, even Kevin Zegers, but the actresses they got to play the daughters were horrible!! The youngest sounded like she either inhaled a whole thing of helium or she ate a Smurf. Every word she uttered was cringeworthy. How does she get jobs??? If you can get past the 2 Daughters it's an OK adaptation. If annoying, whiny voices bother you... don't even bother.
50 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God awfully stupid
mystee_reyne15 January 2019
Very entertaining, but requires suspension of disbelief. Everyone in this show is brain numbingly stupid, except for John. He is always 10 steps ahead of every idiot in this series. The wife is incredibly dumb and desperate. And certain details in the show are not grounded in legal facts. This reminded me of a Lifetime movie. Only the detective from the flashbacks and the second lawyer had some sense. And Debra's voice sounds like she's medicated all the time.
41 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought this was a comedy.
jenward_199917 February 2019
I actually thought this was a comedy, until I realised it wasn't. The acting was awful, really awful. This is supposed to be based on real events, so you would have thought that you would have empathy for the characters. The only person I felt sorry for were his sister and his first wife. I can understand why people in abusive relationships find it difficult to leave, but his second wife and her children were such awful, vapid creatures that it was hard to feel anything but disbelief at how stupid and shallow they were. Just horrendous!
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a let down
saediocoupons5 December 2018
I had high hopes for this series. I had watched the Dateline on this story and wanted to see more from this series. But man, the daughters are the most annoying things ever. I hope that the show is dramatizing their characters, rude spoiled selfish daughters that basically helped this man gain control over this woman with their behavior. Anyway, the show falls a bit flat. Its trying to be Real housewives meets 60 minutes. I feel like its trying too hard. Not for me.
58 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
alyssafflovex14 January 2019
To avoid ruining yhings for myself i dont want to research thr real story until season 1 is finished but holy hell was the real woman THAT stupid?! So many cringeworthy decisions made but the show is entertaining and keeps viewers interested.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
jperrotta-8992316 January 2019
Everyone's waste of time. Actors. Viewers.

Very interesting story. Great actors. Something went wrong here.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just bad all around
vegicat26 December 2018
Also, why did they think they had to make Jean Smart look so old? You can be a grandma and not have the stereotypical grey helmet, yeah? What was the point of trying to make her look older?
36 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG the stupidity...
d_07088515 February 2019
I really don't know where to start... There are many many MANY problems with this series, one of the biggest being acting (especially Eric Bana's performance)..but.. The absolute worst thing is the STUPIDITY of all those women and especially HERS.. I really don't understand how Connie Britton accepted this role!! The woman is so stupid, she is basically a walking vegetable! I'm sorry but it is really painful to watch...
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the negative reviews
jbow-8341029 December 2018
Not sure why people are critical of this series? The story is meant to make you feel uncomfortable and very much question the decision making process of the mother and daughters. Listen to the podcast if you don't believe me.
31 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The daughters are the worst
cfeight-2178410 December 2018
I was a huge fan of the Podcast so naturally I wanted to check out the show. So far, I'm slightly disappointed. They made the daughters seem completely dumb and ditzy, but they did not seem that way in the Podcast at all. I hope they don't continue on that way.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dire. Devoid of depth and subtlety.
GeoffreyNewland1 March 2019
This is trash TV...I'm sure the podcast is superb and I'm intrigued by the true story, but oh dear oh dear...it feels contrived, protracted and rushed. Devoid of depth and subtlety - making some fine actors look horribly wooden. Ultimately poor production - surprising in this golden age of TV.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter pile!
fayandlola25 February 2019
Had I not known this was based on a true story, I'd have thought this was unbelievable. So corny and naff in so many ways. Juno Temple and Julia Garver who play the bratty daughters were particularly cringe! Especially the voices! I think they modelled themselves on the even more annoying Kardashians! Yet again, Netflix over hyped, over long rubbish!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i really tried but... no
thiagopinheiro-1284017 February 2019
Honestly, I don't understand all the high ratings on this show. I really tried watching this but I couldn't make through the 4th episode. The acting, the writing and the production in general are terrible. I'll not even mention and go deep into the sisters. This show just managed to make me mad and annoyed all the time, I mean, how can this woman be so dumb and naive? Since the first date it was clear that John had something off and the fact that every single person she trusts kept telling her that something was up with that guy and she didn't listen to them and chose to ignore all the most obvious signals just made me want to go into that stupid show and slap her in the face to see if she would wake up and realize how stupid she is and wtf is going on.

Besides all those things, I could not forget to mention some mistakes the producers let pass in this show. In the first two episodes I guess, some random guy just waved at the camera and they didn't even see that (?). And what about the main charachter taking pictures with one phone and then suddenly in the next scene she has a new phone???!!

Back to the writing, can we talk about John leaving all the records from him being in prison and doing all those terrible things to other women in a drawer? I mean, is he really that dumb or didn't the producers have the time to figure it out another way the woman could find out about John?

In my opinion, don't waste your time watching this unless you have plenty of time on your hands. And if you do decide to watch this, I recommend you getting a punching bag near you because I guarantee you, you'll want to punch someone in the face.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringe worthy
asheeran-5818714 February 2019
Enough other people have wrote reviews that I agree with .I get that John was the bad guy but I truly despised the daughters in this ...I'd hook up with someone deranged and violent if it meant getting away from those two self important stalking non entities Avoid
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No idea why this is so highly rated.
vegicat26 December 2018
Yeah, I'm glad to see a series that doesn't involve a 20-year-old "hottie", but this just misses the mark on so many levels.

It just makes the lead character look like an idiot. The way it was produced, that's what we're given. It could have been presented otherwise.

The lead male is not compelling in the slightest. Insulting, really, that fluff crap would make a woman lose her intelligence and swoon. Not believable at all.

Essentially, this is boring Hallmark romance garbage.
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.