One Cut of the Dead (2017) Poster

Made for $25,000...and earned back $25,000,000+.....not bad!
MartinHafer19 July 2020
If you don't like violent zombie films, you might still enjoy "One Cut of the Dead". Sure, it has blood (as you'd expect) but it is more tongue in cheek and silly as opposed to being gross or gratuitous. So, if you are a parent, you could let older kids watch this one with no serious concerns about your kids becoming warped for life!

The story is a confusing one. It's kind of like a movie within a movie...within a movie. Instead of explaining the exact plot, I'll just insist that you watch it and don't worry if you are confused....stick with it.

The movie is clever, funny and offers something new and different. And, with so many young filmmakers making zombie films, this one actually offers you some things that are unique and well thought out. Well worth seeing....and a great example of cheap but effective film making.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like nothing else
Leofwine_draca19 May 2020
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD is a typically quirky Japanese comedy that nonetheless manages to cut a swathe through genre cliche by looking and acting like no other. It's a film that's best to watch knowing nothing about it, because it takes the viewer on a real rollercoaster, starting out with you laughing at it and ending with you laughing with it. Or maybe I've just watched too many independent zombie films, because I know exactly what they were getting at here. Great performances, inventive set-ups and a real thoroughness in terms of ability and enthusiasm, this is another winner from Third Window.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look scared.
nogodnomasters9 July 2020
While making a zombie film, zombies attack. Not going to spoil the film, but let's say it lets us know that in any reality TV show there is also a director, sound man, and a cameraman standing right there.

It was a mildly fun film. Most likely lost a little in the translation.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couple of cuts
kosmasp31 January 2019
I'm referring to the international title with my "headline". But if you've heard about this and kinda got a feel of the vibe, then you may be wary and maybe like me you think: alright, let's see if it is actually any good. It starts off pretty standard and kind of slow paced. Now even if you can see and guess what the movie is doing ... there's still so much to explore.

And even while I just knew certain things and was quite sure I knew why they were happening (sorry for being cryptic, but watching this with as little knowledge as possible is the best way - believe that) - it still had me roaring. In a good sense that is. By the end I was more than thoroughly entertained and if you don't mind blood and violence, you will be too. Don't forget: It's just a movie ...
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When the credits roll, the fun begins.
BA_Harrison6 February 2019
The cast and crew of a zombie movie find themselves under threat from real zombies, which have been summoned by the director to make his project feel more authentic.

To be honest, my brief summary for One Cut Of The Dead is a little misleading, but to reveal any more about the film would be to spoil the fun. I recommend going into this one knowing as little as possible about the plot, so that, as the action unfolds, one can fully appreciate the skill and accuity of all involved. I guarantee that, over the last fifty minutes or so, you'll slowly come to realise that this ain't just another predictable walking dead movie, but a celebration of film-making itself, and you will leave the film with a big smile on your face.

Oh, and if you were wondering about the strange title, let me explain: the first 37 minutes consist of one take with no edits. Very impressive considering what is happening on screen.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't even bother...
paul_haakonsen19 January 2019
At first I must admit that I was somewhat thrilled to stumble upon the 2017 "One Cut of the Dead" (aka "Kamera o Tomeru Na!"). But then a seed of doubt was planted because many other zombie movies from Japan have been questionable at best.

But still, it is a zombie movie, and that is more than enough to make me sit down and watch a movie. And thus I did so with "One Cut of the Dead". Well, at least for a whole staggering 35 minutes. Then I gave up from sheer boredom, frustration and lack of entertainment.

This movie was bad, really bad. It was essentially just a movie about people running around like mindless chickens, screaming and yelling, while being chased by zombies with very, very animated arms and legs movements. It wasn't even funny to look at.

And it didn't help much that the characters were more boring than wet cardboard. The choices that the characters in the movie took made absolutely no sense, not even in a stressful situation. It was just idiotic and embarrassing to witness on the screen. But staying true to it being a low budge movie, they had the talents to match the level of the movie.

The zombie make-up and special effects were as to be expected for a low budget movie such as this. So don't expect a grand macabre visual tour de force here.

There was just nothing in this movie that had any appeal to me, and after enduring for a staggering 35 minutes, I just gave up, never to return to watch the rest of the movie. I had hoped that it might have been as much fun as "Toilet of the Dead", but it wasn't. This was just plain and downright boring.
8 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Shot of the Dead.
morrison-dylan-fan21 April 2020
Since seeing Jay Bauman of RedLetterMedia and Roth Cornet of fandom Entertainment both place this on their lists as the second best film of 2019, (when it came out in the US) I've been really curious to catch it,but had only seen the title around on a pricey Blu-Ray. Checking what exclusive flicks Shudder has during my free 30 days sign up,and was thrilled to spot it,leading to me finally taking a cut.

View on the film:

Taking two days and six takes to film perfection, the opening one take 37 minute opening shot from writer/director Shin'ichiro Ueda & cinematographer Takeshi Sone runs in with a breathless atmosphere of the hand held (but not shaky) camera swaying the viewer straight into the zombie onslaught. Making the one cut after the 37 minute mark, Ueda brilliantly makes a stark contrast by taking the crumbly colours of the opening zombie run,into crystallised, crisp digital.

Made as part of a acting and directing workshop called ENBU Seminar, (the cast actually paid to be in the movie!) Ueda's adaptation of Ryoichi Wada's play takes the film far beyond these humble beginnings with a incredible, humorous inventiveness, mocking ego-driven directors,as a film maker (played with a unhinged madness by Takayuki Hamatsu) attempts to direct a unfolding zombie apocalypse.

Swinging a end to the zombies, Ueda cuts the opening 37 minutes one-shot with a incredible twist,which reveals the shared love of movie making the cast and crew have, visible in each cut of the dead.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly enjoyable and unique zombie comedy
kannibalcorpsegrinder28 April 2018
Attempting to film a new zombie movie, the cast and crew find themselves attacked by a horde of ravenous flesh-eating creatures which interrupts the shooting schedule of their production and forces them to actually have to defend themselves from the undead ravaging the set.

This was an enjoyable and intriguing effort. Among the many impressive elements throughout this one is the manner in which it pulls off the engaging social commentary about the effects of filmmaking. This one really brings up the idea of what constitutes entertainment as the executives constantly shouting out about what they expect and demand on a live-shoot. The backstage exploits of the industry, filled with egotistical actors stuck in roles they don't want to be in, stressed-out stage-hands constantly trying to appease their bosses and the on-the-fly guerrilla tactics that must be employed to ensure the shoot goes off smoothly feature prominently throughout the second half. There are some fun times ahead here looking at this creation of the film that has plenty to enjoy about it commenting on the rushed nature of filmmaking and how creative individuals must sacrifice their vision to make content for disillusioned executives who only care about the profit lines. As well, the most engaging aspect here is the utterly enjoyable opening sequence. Consisting of a single-take short-length scene featuring the crew being attacked by a zombie outbreak before turning on each other and then chasing each other throughout the complex where they're shooting. Managing to throw in plenty of twists and turns amongst the gory action, all done in one single unbroken take, gives this a wholly unexpected opening that's a real attention-grabber. As the second half of the film is the filming of this very sequence which is full of hilarious antics and ingenious fixes to demonstrate how the actual shot got pulled off. It's quite ingenious to see how the different tricks to accomplish the finish product and the different tricks accomplished to get there which manages to hold this one up as quite enjoyable in these different sections. There really isn't any kind of flaws in this one, as the fact that this one remains as a piece of fiction throughout here without anything else happening does detract this somewhat. The fact that it's all a movie-shoot in both stages does manage to lessen the tension of everything and makes for a cheap experience as none of the attacks mean anything if it's all faked from the start. The goofiness and somewhat crazy feeling present here isn't all that appealing to all, and it might seem odd rather than funny with the way this one plays out. Otherwise, these here are all that really hold this one down.

Rated Unrated/R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.
26 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action!
Pjtaylor-96-13804414 February 2021
Easily one of the most original movies Of recent years, 'One Cut Of The Dead (2017)' is best experienced if you know as little about it as possible. As such, I'm only going to talk about it in the vaguest of terms. It's safe to say, though, that I highly recommend you go out and watch it. It's a film that successfully subverts expectation on more than one occasion, displaying an excellent understanding of its audience in the process. Though its second act does slow things down considerably, it's wholly necessary to set up one of the most satisfying finales I've ever seen. Seriously, the final third is absolutely phenomenal and retrospectively makes the affair's first movement (which is done as an incredibly ambitious, thirty-seven-minute oner) even more effective. The film feigns amateurism, but it's actually acutely choreographed and amazingly clever. It's funny, engaging, surprising, energetic, inspired and enjoyable. It's fantastic. 8/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cut Above Other Zombie Movies
Cineanalyst25 April 2020
"Shaun of the Dead" (2004) seems to me as funny as a standard, modern zombie flick can be--even though that hasn't stopped others from fruitlessly trying, or blatantly not trying, to top it: "Fido" (2006), "Warm Bodies" (2013), "Life After Beth" (2014), "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" (2015), "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (2016), the "Zombieland" movies (2009 and 2019), "The Dead Don't Die" and "Little Monsters (both 2019), to name a few. "One Cut of the Dead" rises above the bunch by not really being a zombie movie at all, per se, although it's about a zombie motion picture. Rather, it's a meta movie making fun of the making of the film-within-the-film--more "Day for Night" (1973) than "Night of the Living Dead" (1968). I like a good undead feature, but thoroughly reflexive cinema offers some of the best the art form has to offer... even if it's supposedly live-broadcast TV and not art.

I'm glad I didn't read up on this one before I saw it, either, as what is revealed in the first scene as a film-within-a-film turns out to be yet another, self-referential movie. Moreover, with the last of the end credits, making-of footage is shown of the making of the actual picture, "One Cut of the Dead." That's a film-within-the-film, which breaks the fourth wall by addressing the camera for yet another film outside of that, all of which is exposed in the end by footage of the actual filmmaking crew of the overall movie itself--and that, too, leaves a fourth, making-of camera operator unaddressed. In other words, there are a lot of moving parts and layers to the hilarity here. Actors playing actors, actors playing non-actors, an actor playing a director acting, a camera filming a cameraman filming the same fictional director acting as cameraman, too. The absurd premise of a one-shot live-broadcast zombie movie for TV being titled the same as the actual movie without, the same script within, rehearsals, improvisation and coordinated mishaps. Working through the first half hour of what otherwise appears to be an amateurish and over-ambitious piece of awkward and un-worked-out meta filmmaking is made a rewarding experience by the context of further layers of the making of that movie--and of the making of that movie, too.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of fun
gbill-7487726 November 2020
Clever and lots of fun, especially in its second half. Loved the women in this - the director's wife who goes rogue (Harumi Shuhama), his daughter who saves the show behind the scenes (Mao), the sizzling B-movie starlet (Yuzuki Akiyama), and the assistants behind the scenes, one of whom picks up the camera and runs with it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Infectious Ride You Cannot Afford To Miss
CinemaClown5 January 2019
Breathing an air of freshness into its ever deteriorating subgenre, One Cut of the Dead is a work of pure exhilarating madness that's honest, heartfelt & hysterical in both its approach & execution, and expertly illustrates the art of filmmaking & unexpected perks of on-the-spot improvisation with its self-reflexive narrative.
13 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts Cheaply Poor But ...
westsideschl5 February 2021
Suppose to be a low budget single shot no editing (i.e. one camera films all scenes in sequence; no stopping) live TV presenting of a zombie short movie. At first I thought it was the cheapest movie made in the last decade+ - that's part 1. Part 2 wasn't clear, but supposedly the film crew gets attacked by a couple of real zombies. Where they came from & why; who knows. Part 3 made what I thought was a wasted hour more interesting as they showed with a second camera the behind the scenes process of making a horror movie (e.g. where the blood & bodies come from). Nothing surprising, but fun to watch.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MAMI Review: One Cut of the Dead (7 Stars)
nairtejas31 October 2018
What if you saw a badass film and wanted to see how they shot it exactly? One Cut of the Dead is what you're looking at - a fresh and charming zombie comedy that gets better and better, funnier and funnier with every second. Although there's a brief period of stagnancy in Shin'ichirĂ´ Ueda's 100-minute feature film - that has everything from sweet performances to seamless, mouth-watering camera work to laugh-out-loud comedy - you will only remember the good parts of the clever craft. The way the film - the story of a filmmaking crew who camp at an abandoned Japanese Second World War facility to shoot a film on zombies but end up finding real zombies - is structured will make you think about the genius behind the writing for the jokes are multi-disciplinary and beyond creative. Ueda does not only depend on dialogues to create humor but also uses the art of filmmaking itself to make us laugh while also show us how complicated everything is behind a screen. With subtle references to the importance of relationships, One Cut of the Dead excels in almost all departments. It is a film that you watch with your friends in your home theater again and again, year after year. And it is not to be missed. One Cut of the Dead is the reason why we dig zombie comedies so much. TN.

(Watched and reviewed at its India premiere at the 20th MAMI Mumbai Film Festival.)
15 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just didn't get it
Stevieboy66615 July 2021
Japanese contribution to the 21st Century's cesspit of zombie comedies. I just found this to be an incredibly boring movie, it started off looking very very cheap, then what follows is an hour of sheer boredom. Not in the slightest bit funny, I fail to understand all the hype.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Cut of the Dead
henry8-331 May 2021
A film crew are making a cheap zombie film and realise they have actually unleashed real zombies - or so it would seem.

Enjoyable comedy that owes a lot to 'Noises Off' except instead of a stage comedy it's a zombie movie. The second part, where you see how it was done and what and why things didn't go as planned is really funny and wholly believable. A lot of fun.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THREE FOR ONE!
kirbylee70-599-5261794 August 2020
Have you ever watched a movie and thought to yourself that wasn't bad but I don't think I'd watch it again. Then a few days go by and you start thinking about that movie. You find yourself laughing at funny items, finding scary items now more frightening and dramas more dramatic than when you first watched the movie. Then you realize maybe I need to watch that one more time. I found myself that way with ONE CUT OF THE DEAD.

The movie is actually three movies in one, though the first is incredibly short. We open with a zombie attacking a young woman, clearly terrified but sad because the zombie was apparently her boyfriend. As he moves in to bite her and the scene ends it actually, well ends. It turns out what we're watching is a zombie movie being made with actors in the roles. End movie one.

The director is a bit of a megalomaniac, a man who suffers for his art, demanding certain things from his cast and crew. They stop for a break and while sitting together they discuss the location. It turns out the director chose it because it is supposed to be haunted. It's little surprise then when screams are heard and an arm is tossed into the building. Thinking it's a prank that turns to terror when the arm's owner enters bleeding profusely. Yes the zombies are an actual thing here.

As the cast and crew members untouched and uneaten try to survive they run around the building being chased by flesh eaters. They run around outside the building. They discover weapons out of the blue on the property. Dead members rise up again clearly not undead yet. You watch and think to yourself while laughing is this the worst zombie movie ever made? And then the credits roll. Only 30-40 minutes into a movie clocked at 96 minutes. What in the world? End movie two.

The reason is that we go back in time and find out what brought this movie about to begin with. It was planned as a live zombie presentation to be on par with the original WAR OF THE WORLDS. The director they hire is the director we saw earlier. He's a lot more humble though. This is because the actor meant to play the part didn't show. Some of the cast members are missing too. To replace them he uses his wife as an actor since she did that in the past and his daughter on the crew.

We watch as the entire team is assembled and the cast is chosen. We see rehearsals take place. We get to watch the interaction among everyone. And we begin to see that this film isn't so much a tutorial about how to make a zombie flick so much as a comedy of errors that gets funnier the further in it goes.

SPOILER ALERT

All of the mistakes and funny things we found in the movie itself turn out to be the result of creative off the top of their head decisions made as the film move forward. This is where much of the humor stems from, watching as the director attempts to keep this live movie going while dealing with everything from lost actors to drunk actors to having to take on a screen roll himself. But there are more surprises as well.

The movie was made in Japan in 2017 but is making its way to disc now. RLJ Entertainment has released it with collectors in mind in a steel box edition. The extras are minimal but that's okay, it is the movie that makes this worth watching and perhaps picking up for horror or comedy fans. And while the title may make many think that this is a horror film it's actually more of a spoof about the making of movies.

As I said at the start I wasn't overly impressed on my first viewing. But the more I found myself thinking about the film the funnier it got. It's a bit twisted humor at times and near slapstick at others but it really is better than I realized. So much that I may have to watch it again this week.

The odds are you won't find this for rental at any nearby locations but that doesn't mean you can't watch it. SHUDDER streaming service is featuring the film right now. It can also be rented on streaming services like amazon prime. And if you want you can also order your own copy if you choose.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You gotta go in fresh!
jfgibson7331 March 2020
This movie is a lot of fun, but you have to stick with it to get the joke. If you don't watch it until the end, you won't know what's really going on. If someone told me what the gimmick of this movie was, I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch it. I'm glad I went in cold.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meta Horror
Pairic30 May 2021
One Cut Of The Dead; Japanese Zombie Comedy which opens with a typical scene from a low budget zombie film but the fourth wall quickly vanishes as a bullying director berates the actors. He acts like He's Kubrick, 42 takes of a scene. The film set building was built for water filtration but there's an urban legend about the army using it for medical experiments to bring dead people back to life. The crazed director draws a Pentagram in blood and succeeds in summoning up Zombies. A pretty enjoyable Zombie (short) film ensues, cameraman thinking an actual Zombie is an actor, is turned. Much biting, decapitation, running about and hatchets in heads Great dodgy effects. But then things get more meta as the film turns to the making of the making, of the making, of the Zombie film (you have to see it). So we have a Zombie film with added satire and laughs operating on as many levels as there are in the film itself and there are more twists than you can shake a stick at. Amazingly the film was made on a budget of $25,000 but it grossed $61 million at the box office. Shin'ichiro Ueda directed, edited, and wrote the script for One Cut of the Dead. 8/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BLOODY BRILLIANT.
andrewchristianjr7 February 2020
The first 30 minutes was boring, strange, and dumb. And then it goes bloody brilliant. Literally. The whole thing is fantastic but the second half of this film is super entertaining.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Wild Found Footage Zom/Com
Reviews_of_the_Dead19 September 2019
This was a film that a couple of my favorite podcasts talked about and how much they liked it. They both said they really couldn't talk about it as it is quite hard to do so, because you really need to spoil it. This review could be a bit short, because I don't want to do spoilers myself. The synopsis is things go badly for a hack director and film crew shooting a low budget zombie movie in an abandoned WWII Japanese facility, when they're attacked by real zombies.

We start this as a crew is filming a zombie movie. The star is Ko (Kazuaki Nagaya) and his co-star is Chinatsu (Yuzuki Akiyama). Ko is a zombie and Chinatsu is pleading with him to wake up. He goes to bite her and they cut. The director is Higurashi (Takayuki Hamatsu) and he goes off Chinatsu as well as Ko. The make-up artist is Nao (Harumi Shuhama). She tries to stop it and it is decided to take a break.

Chinatsu, Ko and Nao go off together and she tells them the urban legend about the place they are at. Things take a turn when it comes true and they're attacked by zombies. It becomes a fight for survival until we realize what is really going on here. It might be even more stressful than what we originally thought it was. We also can't always believe what we are seeing.

Just to give you an idea, what I recapped there is literally the first 30 minutes. I was kind of confused with this initial viewing, because I didn't know where they could go from there. What I will say is that after this point, I ended up really loving what this movie is doing. As someone who has worked on a feature length film, I can definitely say that helped me to enjoy this even more.

I should warn you though; this first half hour is a horror comedy, where the rest of the film is definitely more of a comedy with horror elements to it. I would say that these elements though might not necessarily be in the traditional sense. I'm not always the biggest fan of the blending of these two genres, but in this case, it really worked for me. It also doesn't necessarily build tension though like most movies would.

To avoid going into spoilers, I'll move to talking about the pacing and editing of the film. Something I noticed is that the title of the movie is a play on words. We get what looks to actually a good section that is one cut with some interesting camera movements. There are a few moments where they could hide it, but I'm not sure after this initial viewing if that's what they did. I never got bored though, so that is definitely a perk and I love how this ends up playing out.

That will move me to the acting, which is also really good. We have Hamatsu who is actually fed up. We see his blow up in the first 30 seconds, but it all makes sense later in the movie. I thought this was genius, because it establishes at first that he's crazy. That isn't necessarily the truth though. Akiyama and Nagaya are both good as the young leads of this film. They both are kind of annoying people, but they play this role very well. Shuhama is solid as was Mao who is playing a character of the same name. The rest of the cast rounded out the movie for what was needed.

Since this is a low budget, found footage film, the effects were done practically and look great. I like that when someone becomes a zombie, they have these odd glowing eyes. We get some blood that looks good and how the zombies move was pretty realistic. I didn't really have any issues here and the found footage aspect is shot well. It adds a layer of realism to this movie.

The last thing to cover would be the soundtrack. There isn't really much of that since it is found footage. There are certain moments where we do get it, but it actually fits for the reason once we truly learn what is going on here.

Now with that said, this film was one that I had expectations coming in with since people I respect opinions were on high on it. Since this film is hard to talk about, they were cryptic and unsure of what I was getting into, much like I'm trying to be here. I really liked the first 30 minutes, but at the reveal of what is going on, I really ended up liking this even more. I think the found footage, low budget zombie angle really works here. It is a horror/comedy, which can be hit or miss for me and this one really knocked it out of the park. We get a combination of situations and actors just being funny. That leads me to the acting being really good. The effects fit for what was needed and the soundtrack did as well. I found this to be a really good movie overall.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Zombie Film with More
Reviews_of_the_Dead7 October 2019
This was a film that a couple of my favorite podcasts talked about and how much they liked it. They both said they really couldn't talk about it as it is quite hard to do so, because you really need to spoil it. This review could be a bit short, because I don't want to do spoilers myself. My first watch of this was at the Gateway Film Center for their one day showing and now I've seen this movie twice more at home. This last viewing for the Summer Series for The Podcast Under the Stairs. The synopsis is things go badly for a hack director and film crew shooting a low budget zombie movie in an abandoned WWII Japanese facility, when they're attacked by real zombies.

We start this as a crew is filming a zombie movie. The star is Ko (Kazuaki Nagaya) and his co-star is Chinatsu (Yuzuki Akiyama). Ko is a zombie and Chinatsu is pleading with him to wake up. He goes to bite her and they cut. The director is Higurashi (Takayuki Hamatsu) and he goes off Chinatsu as well as Ko. The make-up artist is Nao (Harumi Shuhama) and she tries to calm everyone down. It is decided to take a break.

Just to give you an idea, what I recapped there is literally the first 30 minutes and an extremely vague hint at what we get after that first section. I was kind of confused with my initial viewing, because I didn't know where they could go from there. What I will say is that after this point, I ended up loving what this movie is doing. As someone who has worked on a feature length film, I can definitely say that helped me to enjoy this even more.

I should warn you though; this first half hour is a horror comedy, where the rest of the film is definitely more of a comedy with horror elements to it, to an extent. I would say that these elements though might not necessarily be in the traditional sense. I'm not always the biggest fan of the blending of these two genres, but in this case, it worked for me. It also doesn't necessarily build tension though like most movies would, but that's not to say there isn't stress. Something I do need to say is there's some good writing of things introduced and then referred to later. I'm definitely a sucker for that.

To avoid going into spoilers, I'll move to talking about the pacing and editing of the film. Something I noticed is that the title of the movie is a play on words. We get what looks to actually a good section that is one cut with some interesting camera movements. I never got bored though, so that is definitely a perk and I love how this ends up playing out. Something that struck me with this last viewing, the camera work is even more amazing with considering the different things to hide. I'm still impressed after three viewings.

That will move me to the acting, which is also good. We have Hamatsu who is actually fed up. We see his blow up in the first 30 seconds, but it all makes sense later in the movie. I thought this was genius, because it establishes at first that he's crazy. That isn't necessarily the truth though and you can't fault the guy after seeing what he's put up with. Akiyama and Nagaya are both good as the young leads of this film. They both are kind of annoying people, but they play this role very well. Shuhama is solid as was Mao who is playing a character of the same name. The rest of the cast rounded out the movie for what was needed.

Since this is a low budget, found footage film, the effects were done practically and look great. I like that when someone becomes a zombie, they have these odd glowing eyes. We get some blood that looks good and how the zombies move was realistic, again to an extent. They are making a bad zombie movie, but not necessarily on purpose. I didn't really have any issues here and the found footage aspect is shot well. It adds a layer of realism to this movie.

The last thing to cover would be the soundtrack. Despite this being a take on found footage, we are getting some music and it does fit for what they're going for. It doesn't necessarily stand out though. It is interesting that with the sound design you can hear things off camera, which adds to the comedy when you see what was really going on.

Now with that said, this film was one that I had expectations coming in with since people I respect opinions were on high on it. Since this film is hard to talk about, they were cryptic and unsure of what I was getting into, much like I'm trying to be here. I liked the first 30 minutes, but at the reveal of what is going on, I really ended up loving it. I think the found footage; low budget zombie angle works well. It is a horror/comedy, which can be hit or miss for me and this one really knocked it out of the park. We get a combination of situations and actors just being funny. That leads me to the acting being good. The effects fit for what was needed and the soundtrack did as well. I found this to be a good movie overall.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very creative zombie-comedy.
Amyth4731 December 2018
My Rating : 9/10

'One Cut of the Dead' is a very low-budget (~ approx. $27,000) zombie comedy that must be seen by anyone interested in film-making. It's unique and unlike anything I've ever seen and in a very, VERY good way.

This is 1 hour 36 mins long and not just the first part which is 36 minutes so make sure to watch the whole thing as it gets infinitely meta and hilarious!

This one guarantees an awesome ride from start to finish and is a MUST WATCH!
4 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dream, effort, creativity
yoggwork18 February 2019
After 30 minutes of awkward zombie movies with dreams, efforts and creativity, it was a take-off shooting record, which showed how pitiful a mirror really was. Good movies will not be buried, while domestic movies will only make money.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
jellopuke25 November 2019
A movie that manages to re-contextualize itself so many times during its course and keeps you entertained and glued the whole time. So much fun and needs to be seen more!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.