Perdida (2018) Poster

(2018)

Strong yet fragile
kosmasp27 December 2018
Just from the outgo and before I was ready to give up on the main character for maybe not being smart in the way she handles things, the movie made the right choice. A strong female character, but not one without flaws. It doesn't happen that often that you get female characters drawn out like that. I admire that about this movie.

On top of that you get a decent thriller, with a good enough story. It may have its flaws at places and the story may not move along without hiccups, but there is more good here than bad in my humble opinion. The acting is good, if you engage in it, you probably will be on the edge of your seat too.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential
sidz7913 August 2018
This movie could have been a great thriller if not for the bad editing and confusing plot twists.

Five teenage friends go on a trip but only four return. One of the girls becomes a cop and tries to reopen the case. So far a somewhat interesting plot, turns into a confusing mess later on. How was cornelia abducted when Ariel was the only guy there? Perhaps his parents were part of the ring but it is never explained. What's the connection between Ariel and the Egyptian? Again no explanation. Why did that bald guy help Cornelia when he was supposed to kill her? How was Pipa's boss involved?

Too many loose ends to make this a good watch. It's a pity because the acting and cinematography was very good.
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
missing strong story line and a very predictable story
mallik_mahalingam16 August 2018
Within 10-15 mins of watching was able to predict the rest of the story. So was not that interesting. Plus several scenes made the movie look very amateur (breaking into the house to release the girl), not noticing missing friend on the car ride, etc., Most importantly they didn't give strong character and motivation behind the actions of 'Cornelia'. I recall at least couple of movies made before based on similar theme. net-net, so, simple time pass. nothing extraordinary.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Thing About This Movie Are The Crybaby Low IMDb Reviews
fredgfinklemeyer22 November 2018
11/21/2018 Apparently the fractured time frame (back & forth) confused some of the viewers? I found this movie to be really decent and the acting (foreign) was better than alot of the American movies that I get to watch. It's really about a 7-8 star movie but I'm giving it 10 stars to hopefully offset the reviewers who are always hypercritical with their negatives in every movie review. Maybe some regular viewer like myself will hopefully give it a try and enjoy it? I know that I did. Bon Appetit
36 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gave it a chance
juanoyhanarte22 April 2018
The perfect example of when a movie is THAT bad that it's impossible to find where to start with it. Acting is lousy. Dialogues were poor. The storyline couldn't be more basic, and the plot-twists more ridiculous. What's with the role of the guy-cop? What does that add to the story? Not a slight dose of suspense or tension throughout the film, when it's evident there was an intention in creating so. Amaia Salamanca is the only remotely interesting segment in this film, and they still managed to make her character flawed to its core. For some reason, I thought there was a minor chance this could end up being somewhat entertaining but nah. Just painful to watch.
37 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice story and OK production
ericopreis5 February 2019
Entertaining story with some easy to guess plot. But still very entertaining. Production doesn't feel very expensive but still enough. Some of the hints are to obvious but this makes its a nice move with a logical twist. There are enough movies about frustrated police inspecteurs but still they try to stop human trafficking.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We need more movies like this!!!
jamesdraco28 August 2018
Unfortunately there are very few movies with the subject of trafficking in persons. We need more movies like this, more information, to help many young people.

Good.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amaia is the best
laudechivil20 May 2018
Amaia is my favorite actress and her performance is oustanding. The history is very original in my opinion. The performance of Luisana is good too.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiled by loose threads and confusing plot twists
emuir-112 August 2018
Not having read the book, which is not available in English, I found the story very difficult to follow. OK, a young teenagers disappeared on a school trip to Patagonia and many years later, one of the girls, now a policewoman - the maverick cop of course - defies her superiors to reopen the case. That was about as far as I could follow the story. Some of it was telegraphed ahead so loud and clear that I was aware of it in advance, but other parts were totally obscure or not followed through.

What was the significance of the mermaid tattoos.?

Who was the bald mustachioed man with the mermaid tattoo and why did he save a couple of the girls he was supposed to kill? Why did he continue to pursue and kill anyone who tried to find out the whereabouts of Cornelia? Was Alina working for the bad guys, and if so, why was she killed?

Why were the police so adamant that Alina jumped from the window when the apartment was in a shambles, indicating that she fought for her life?.

What did Pipa's boss, Oreyana, have to do with the affair and why was he working for the bad guys? He did say that he found himself in too deep at the beginning that he couldn't get out. Why?

Who were the couple in the mountain lodge in Patagonia, why were they killed and who was the young man who was killed along with them?. I assume they were part of the trafficking ring, but it was not clear.

I actually watched this twice and more of the story fit into place, but I could have used a full synopsis. The film needs to be taken back and recut to heighten the tension and clarify the plot twists. A good half hour could be left on the cutting room floor.

Bottom line: The scenery was nice.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
noharm521 April 2020
A bit of a rocky start but I was hooked.loved Lusiana. I was genuinly intriged and surprised at all the right spots. Dont listen to the bad reviews and see it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do watch it
ishfaquezaman9 August 2018
Plenty of moments where movie lives a little too much upto its name ; "The Lost" though, but still the story is too good and both lead actresses come to rescue the film with their brilliant performances. It's a novel's adaptation which could have been a lot better without like 30 minutes, a couple of characters and a few flashbacks, but still it manages to deliver a punch many Hollywood movies of same genre fail at. Luisana Lopilato is stunning throughout and Amaia Salamanca does complete justice to her role as well.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glad I gave it a chance
gigavasquez12 August 2018
The movie was pretty good. Had some good twists and turns that were really good. I am a still baffled as to how the police chief's role and the hot guy cop in the film. The leading lady was pretty good and so was the villians in the movie.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Limited
agustinaespinosa4 September 2018
The film Perdida is based on the novel by Florencia Etcheves, a famous journalist. It was directed by Alejandro Montiel. It stars Luisana Lopilato and Nicolas Furtado. The film was filmed in Buenos Aires, but some scenes in San Martin de los Andes too. The film is about a police woman who researches on old case about the death of her childhood friend. When they were young, they traveled to San Martin de los Andes with the school, and one night tjey went to a party. They got drunk and her friend disappeared. They never found her. During the investigation, she discovers that her friend was raped that night and she was sold to people's traffic. Now she's alive and she decided to forgive her for letting her alone that night. She started a new life I don't recommend this film because I think that caracters are a bit over the top and the story is too weak. It's missing more action.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great analogy to life
peter-6184912 August 2018
Loved this movie as it ends with a conclusion that great childhood friends may no longer be the person you knew decades later.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't mind this movie at all ...
MetroSkunk17 August 2018
It was a tad predictable but the story and script was solid. Plus the landscape scenery was amazing.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very poor.
gonzapq11 August 2018
Awful screenplay adaptation from readable novel. A shame. And somewhat shameful.

Pésima adaptación de una novela aceptable. Una lástima.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really really good!
sofaki5610 August 2018
It starts as a common teenage disapearance story.. But when it comes to the point tha the main actress faces her friend again after all these years,but though all these years,nothing can be the same.. In the end the feel exactly the same thing,is obvious that the misses each other,but maybe is not a happy ending.. Good enough!
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bad movie
candelariamm30 September 2018
Don't waste your time watching it. You can predict the entire plot. Direction and acting are really bad
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an...eh
nammage17 August 2018
The title translates to "Lost" in Spanish; I think the title is all wrong for a couple of reasons: 1. No one is lost in this film. Yes, someone disappeared but that doesn't necessarily mean they're 'lost'; especially in the context of this film. 2. This film is based off the novel "Cornelia" by the journalist Florence Etcheves, naming it after the novel seemed more apropos. If I was the one to name it, I'd probably call it "Plain Sight". My reasoning: the character of Cornelia and the fact that sex trafficking is done in plain sight, especially in this film. But that's just me...

This film is paint-by-numbers, and I think the makers of the film did it that way on purpose; probably to make it more commercial. So the mystery, if paying attention to the film, is pretty easy to figure out within the first 15-20 minutes of the film, if not sooner. This is not a film difficult to figure out. Actually, the so-called plot is a backseat to the sex trafficking the film displays throughout, which in turn makes the plot thin, and the filmmaking gradually slow and inept. Too bad, it started off pretty good.

There are redundant sections of the film, and also clichés but just like the film as a whole they are minimalistic and derivative. Someone, in one review here or elsewhere, mentioned they didn't understand about the "mermaid" tattoos. It's explained about 55 minutes into the film. It's understandable that one's mind would wander and miss out on certain parts; not much excitement but right after that scene is an action scene. No real excuse for not knowing that bit of information. Of course that's the problem with paint-by-number films: one pretty much has it figured out in the beginning and then the mind begins to wander as the film progresses. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad film just not an overly good one. This film is more for people who have either never seen a film from the genre or perhaps seen a few. Those of us who have seen mysteries and thrillers: not really the film for us.

Overall, as stated: not bad but not really that good, either.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BELOW AVE
sunildaswaney-636422 June 2020
Everything about this movie was ordinary be it the story acting or direction.From the beginning I had predicted correctly who the traitor was.Disappointing film!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If rather watch a plate of spaghetti in the microwave
Than follow all the loose ends in this rubbish it really was so bad I even switched it off in the finale scene. Waste of my time. Don't bother wasting yours
excellent movie
pdqpaul21 June 2019
Excellent acting and a pretty decent plot. you need to pay attention to make sure you're getting what's going on. not really complicated, but continuous revolutions...
Both Predictable And Entertaining
dennisdmcdonald10 September 2018
Perdida is both predictable and entertaining.

It's predictable since plot elements -- disappearance of young girl years before, reemergence of the cold case after many years, potential corruption in high places -- are things we've seen many times before. As mysteries go this one is pretty by-the-book.

But the direction, photography, hand to hand fighting, and acting raise it above its core elements, starting with the performances of the tough but conflicted cop played by Argentine actress Luisana Lopilato and the evil witch played by Amaia Salamanca.

We also get to see arresting views of Argentina and Patagonia that we seldom see in movies. Last but not least, the close-in hand to hand action in some scenes is extremely well done. When some one gets thrown against a wall you really hear and feel it.

But be prepared to guess the plot twists. Also, there's a lot of cigarette smoking in this film. But if you like police procedurals and strong female characters, this film is for you.
Another miss for Netflix
meritcoba15 August 2018
Netflix movies do not have a great track record with me. Perdida does in no way make me think differently. The subject would lend itself for a thriller or a film Noir. My bet would have been with the latter. The music, perhaps the one outstanding aspect of the movie, seems to chosen for a kind of setup. But the movie is too unfocused to be anything at all. This then is its greatest weakness: it spends too much time on side stories and back stories that break up the pacing, take away the mystery and often seem irrelevant. One example is the time given to the criminals. They get extensive screentime. A better director would have chosen to have their activities discovered by the lead, like for instance in Sicario, where Emma Blunt stays the focus of the movie and we discover through her what happens. Another example would be the Third Man or the Maltese Falcon, where again the focus stays on the lead. If a back story is required, it is told in dialogue or given a very short screentime. Perdida also suffers from a direction that tries too hard to be nifty with the camera and misses movie gems at the same time. Nice scenes are not exploited by good framing, but often marred by 'bobbing' camera work: in one scene the camera moves from a heavy grey and snowy sky downward to a street view. This maneuver is clearly too much for the cameraman to handle and results in him(or her) losing grip.

All in all a movie feels like it is overreaching itself. Perhaps try and make a small movie instead of attempting to make an epic one?
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting... oh sweet Lord ...APPALLING ACTING
santiagocii6 October 2018
All the reviews are spot on but what wrecks, blasts, demolishes and burns this movie is the unbelievably POOR acting of the characters. They are plasticky wooden and stagy, like if they just came out of their first acting class!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.